• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is there a bus from Manchester Airport railway station to the airport pub?

368A to Stockport by the looks of it on Google Maps. Or walk, it's not far.

(Deleted the comment about Shadowmoss, that's very close as the crow flies but actually getting to it is further than the airport station if Google Maps is correct!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
Cheers mate. I've been a dope anyway. Was thinking I'd watch the mid morning trans Atlantic heavies line up for take off from the pub forgetting that they will be using the other runway for departure. Ha ha. Not sure what to do now. May head for the top of the multi storey if that isn't frowned upon by security.

J-2739

Established Member
Hi,

I've recently becomed interested in the way passenger airliners carry cargo, alongside luggage, in the baggage compartment.

Is there any way of checking/determing what type of cargo is being transported?

What are the most common types of cargo transported?

Has anything as large as a car ever been transported?

Thank you in advance.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Hi,

I've recently becomed interested in the way passenger airliners carry cargo, alongside luggage, in the baggage compartment.

Thank you in advance.

No not really.
It's normally goods which are required urgently, such as fruit, parcels etc

fowler9

Established Member
Had a nice little visit to Manchester Airport yesterday. Had an hour or so on top of the multi storey at terminal 1 then walked down to the airport pub to get some photos of aircraft landing. Unfortunately everything from the Middle East was arriving early so I was a couple of yards from the pub as an Emirates A380 landed. No chance of a photo. Was interesting seeing all the TUI Max 8's parked up from the beer garden. Got a nice video of a Qatar A350 on its final approach and landing.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Hi,

Thank you in advance.
Standard passenger planes that carry freight (generally wide body, long haul) use standardised containers - and mainly for parcels and perishables that would take too long by boat and are of relatively high value, but not high enough volume for a dedicated freighter.
Those containers can't take a car; the cargo hatches in planes aren't large enough.

However "air ferries" used to be a thing - eg using Bristol 170s with cars up front and passengers in the back

frodshamfella

Established Member
Cheers mate. Just for a trip that is being planned. Looking at flying to Tallin or Helsinki and then getting the train to St Petersburg. After that a train on to Moscow and flying back. A mate was convinced we could fly up north from Moscow, I wasn't .
How about Wizz Air or Blue air from Liverpool, they go to a number of Eastern European cities, you could probably find one that works with an onward train. Just seen on Wizz's map on their website, they go to a place called Iasi..pretty far east. Blue Air go there too.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
How about Wizz Air or Blue air from Liverpool, they go to a number of Eastern European cities, you could probably find one that works with an onward train. Just seen on Wizz's map on their website, they go to a place called Iasi..pretty far east. Blue Air go there too.
Yeah, cheers mate, been looking at a few options. To be honest after seeing some photos from a Pride festival in St Petersburg a lad in work shared I am thinking of not going at all. Not gay myself but not sure I'm happy to give Russia an extensive amount of my cash if that's what happens there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yeah, cheers mate, been looking at a few options. To be honest after seeing some photos from a Pride festival in St Petersburg a lad in work shared I am thinking of not going at all. Not gay myself but not sure I'm happy to give Russia an extensive amount of my cash if that's what happens there.

Russia is certainly not a gay-friendly place at all.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed. I never really thought of it until a gay friend in work posted photos from a Pride event. Then I started wondering if I wanted to go there at all.

It's sexist, racist, homophobic and any other -ist you might happen to imagine. If that's not for you (i.e. you don't want to put money into a country where that's the prevailing attitude) there are other places to go I suppose.

fowler9

Established Member
It's sexist, racist, homophobic and any other -ist you might happen to imagine. If that's not for you (i.e. you don't want to put money into a country where that's the prevailing attitude) there are other places to go I suppose.
Indeed. It is something I consider when choosing places to visit.

J-2739

Established Member
I guess you've gotta balance the negatives, with the positives too, such as the stunning architecture, and the Russian hospitality.
Standard passenger planes that carry freight (generally wide body, long haul) use standardised containers - and mainly for parcels and perishables that would take too long by boat and are of relatively high value, but not high enough volume for a dedicated freighter.
Those containers can't take a car; the cargo hatches in planes aren't large enough.

However "air ferries" used to be a thing - eg using Bristol 170s with cars up front and passengers in the back
Interesting, thanks.

fowler9

Established Member
I guess you've gotta balance the negatives, with the positives too, such as the stunning architecture, and the Russian hospitality.

Interesting, thanks.
I think I'm going to go anyway. There are a lot of things I disagree with about a lot of countries I visit, and indeed my own country.

thejuggler

Hi,

Thank you in advance.

My one and only 777 flight was from Penang to Singapore about 16 years ago. I was surprised to see such a huge aircraft, especially as there were only a few of us on it and it only takes about an hour.

However also being loaded was a bellyful of IBM computers to be shipped from Singapore.

The Newcastle - Dubai flight was also secured on the back of very healthy freight loadings.

frodshamfella

Established Member

Well I am gay mate, and I just wouldn't go there. I feel sorry for gay guys who have to live there.

fowler9

Established Member
Well I am gay mate, and I just wouldn't go there. I feel sorry for gay guys who have to live there.
Ah mate. Am proper conflicted. A close friend who is gay also understandably said he wouldn't visit but wouldn't be bothered if I did. We shouldn't even be having this discussion. It is utterly ridiculous.

frodshamfella

Established Member
Ah mate. Am proper conflicted. A close friend who is gay also understandably said he wouldn't visit but wouldn't be bothered if I did. We shouldn't even be having this discussion. It is utterly ridiculous.

I think Putin has contributed greatly to how things are in Russia for gay folk. As you say it shouldn't even be a concern to discuss. I find it quite depressing myself.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Flying with Ryanair for the first time next Monday.
Does anyone know how many of their 737s have the Sky interior?

atillathehunn

Established Member
Not a good day for aircraft integrity.

A B747F dropped a considerable portion of its flap on finals into Harare airport. This is the same aircraft that had an argument with an Ethiopian 787 at Dar Es Salaam a few weeks ago.

This morning at Schiphol an easyJet A320 bound for Gatwick had a disagreement with a KLM 737 during taxi. Unfortunate incidents though neither seems to have caused injury.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
meanwhile, trouble at Gatwick (although I gather it is back open now)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-48944552

Flights at Gatwick Airport have been suspended due to what it says is an issue in its control tower.

The airport apologised and said it had experienced a problem with its air traffic control systems.

In a statement Gatwick said it was working "to rectify this issue as quickly as possible".

fowler9

Established Member
Just found out from a friend JLA has been Antonov AN-12's galore recently with aircraft operated by Cavok and Ukranian Air Alliance flying in car parts. I've seen a few what I thought were C-130's from a distance lately and when he mentioned the AN-12's it explained all the black clag coming out the rear end.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

A diminishing number, though. Most countries have something wrong with them. It depends where your red line is.

I've enjoyed my holidays in the UAE whilst holding my nose...

cactustwirly

Established Member
Flew with Ryanair this morning for the first time out of Stansted.
My god, the whole airport experience was quite poor, it's all hugely busy and chaotic. I think I'll be sticking with Gatwick.
Not impressed with the boarding, as the plane "boarded" before it was ready, so we had to queue by the terminal doors for a while, would have been better if we could sit by the gate, and the plane board when it's ready.

However when we were actually on the Aircraft, it was actually alright, however it would be nice to be able to pay by card in £.
The coffee was actually pretty good, and the legroom was decent as well (almost like BA A319s)
However I think I'll be sticking with easyJet as the experience is a bit more slicker, and the ground handling staff are lot better.

WatcherZero

Established Member
737 Max rebrand appears to have been spotted in the wild.

https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris/status/1150602370104975360/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1150602370104975360&ref_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48995509

Meanwhile recertification is not going very well at all as the list of issues the FAA has found now they actually inspect themselves rather than rely on self certification by Boeing has been growing rather than shrinking and now not expected back in service this year. (such as FAA testing revealing the flight computer isn't powerful enough and will slow down to a crawl in certain situations when adjusting trim, and that in other situations flight controls require superhuman strength to operate when they should always be physically movable by an average adult)

radamfi

Established Member
My god, the whole airport experience was quite poor, it's all hugely busy and chaotic. I think I'll be sticking with Gatwick.
Not impressed with the boarding, as the plane "boarded" before it was ready, so we had to queue by the terminal doors for a while, would have been better if we could sit by the gate, and the plane board when it's ready.

However when we were actually on the Aircraft, it was actually alright, however it would be nice to be able to pay by card in £.
The coffee was actually pretty good, and the legroom was decent as well (almost like BA A319s)
However I think I'll be sticking with easyJet as the experience is a bit more slicker, and the ground handling staff are lot better.

You don't go Ryanair for the experience. You use them because their fare is lower, or the airport or times are more convenient.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Flying Ryanair, to/from Stansted, must surely be the worst airline / airport* combo in the country?

* U.K. top 20 airports.

Status
Not open for further replies.