• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawley Ben

Have been seeing & hearing a fighter jet (I think) in & around Porthmadog today (pretty noisy!)

I'm no expert on these things, but would guess at some sort of training maybe as the plane was twisting & turning when I've seen it today with my father in-law.

Cheers

Ben

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Spotters badge today, saw an EL AL 777 flying out of Luton this evening. Quite a sight. First time I’ve known a 777 at Luton, although I expect it has happened before.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Spotters badge today, saw an EL AL 777 flying out of Luton this evening. Quite a sight. First time I’ve known a 777 at Luton, although I expect it has happened before.

With quite a short runway, the full power takeoff must be fun! (I've had that for Bangkok-Chiang Mai - about 20 passengers on a 777-200 - it went like absolute stink).

fowler9

Established Member
With quite a short runway, the full power takeoff must be fun! (I've had that for Bangkok-Chiang Mai - about 20 passengers on a 777-200 - it went like absolute stink).
Once had a 757 from Kefalonia to Manchester. Had to use the port engine to turn the plane at the end of the runway and hold on the breaks until the engines got to full power to take off. Felt like going of an aircraft carrier launch to me. Ha ha.

stut

Established Member

Ah, that explains it! I'd seen a LY plane flying over Stevenage in the afternoon, but it looked much lower and louder than you see from the normal parade of oranges and purples.

Aictos

Established Member
In around 1400 LY211, departs 1630ish LY212.

Looks like it operates Tuesday / Weds only, and has done the last few weeks.

That's interesting as I wasn't aware of that working, usually all you see is the odd Business Jet or endless Easyjet, Ryanair or Wizzairs!

Established Member
I read Wizz Air are going to operate flights between Doncaster and Chisinau (Moldova). Surely there must be some limit to the random destinations the low cost airlines can link together.

fowler9

Established Member
I read Wizz Air are going to operate flights between Doncaster and Chisinau (Moldova). Surely there must be some limit to the random destinations the low cost airlines can link together.
I'd be up for Chisinau if they flew from Liverpool.

TheEdge

Established Member

If runway slots are cheap and it's get an aircraft in the air with paying bums on seats then someone will fly them.

fowler9

Established Member
Any of you folks watched Planespotting Live? It's kind of fun but I don't think anyone posting here is going to learn anything from it. I'm glad it is on though. I like John Snow and finding out Andy Peters is an aviation fan was cool. Ha ha. Hopefully it will inspire a new generation.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Any of you folks watched Planespotting Live? It's kind of fun but I don't think anyone posting here is going to learn anything from it. I'm glad it is on though. I like John Snow and finding out Andy Peters is an aviation fan was cool. Ha ha. Hopefully it will inspire a new generation.

Trainspotting Live was cringeworthy, and I suspect Planespotting Live was too. Not watched it, as I completely forgot about it the other night and I was too busy devouring a chippy tea last night when I got home to care about anything else! :lol:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Had an odd sighting at Edinburgh last night. Took a while for me to work out what it was, an MD82 in bulgarian air charter livery. I've never seen an MD before at all. Although I don't go plane spotting often. Was impressive to see, also coincided with the Qatar Airbus A350, which while I've seen before, is always a welcome sight when an airport is almost entirely the usual ryanair and easy jet sized jets.

thejuggler

Up until last weekend I'd seen all the DC9 and MD aircraft, apart from the 717 - mission accomplished in Naples with a Volotea example.

I saw the first Planespotters live and the one issue raised was aircraft are now quite boring - typically one engine on each wing.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Was impressive to see, also coincided with the Qatar Airbus A350, which while I've seen before, is always a welcome sight when an airport is almost entirely the usual ryanair and easy jet sized jets.
Definitely agree with you - the Qatar and Emirates flights break up nicely what is quite a monotonous flow of A319/320s and 737s from most other airlines.

Butts

Veteran Member
Try Glasgow Airport where in theory you could have an A380 following A Twin Otter or the like bound for the Islands !!!

The Otter would probably be blown away by the A380's slipstream if it got to close.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Try Glasgow Airport where in theory you could have an A380 following A Twin Otter or the like bound for the Islands !!!

The Otter would probably be blown away by the A380's slipstream if it got to close.

Jet blast rather than slipstream, but I know what you meant!

It’s not unusual to see a Dash 8 landing in front of an A380 at Heathrow now.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Unfortunately Glasgow is a bit far, currently staying in a hotel near Edinburgh Airport with work.

When I was doing regular loganair flights from Manchester to Inverness on their Embraer 145 jet it always made me laugh that an airbus A380 usually came in straight behind us. Sometimes when landing on the runway further from the terminal we'd pull off on a taxiway halfway down he runway and wait there for a route to T3 sat there as the A380 went roaring past not yet fully slowed down was always quite entertaining. Certainly showed the scale!

I must say though in terms of access Edinburgh Airport is fantastic to go watch planes at alongside the runway on the North side. A nice spot to eat a macdonalds tea!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Jet blast rather than slipstream, but I know what you meant!

It’s not unusual to see a Dash 8 landing in front of an A380 at Heathrow now.

Oh agreed. But at LHR a Dash 8 does seem rather incongruous. Especially given that the runway is ‘at capacity’, having a 78 seater does seem rather a waste.

Aictos

Established Member
Oh agreed. But at LHR a Dash 8 does seem rather incongruous. Especially given that the runway is ‘at capacity’, having a 78 seater does seem rather a waste.

How long have there been Dash-8s at LHR then?

Status
Not open for further replies.