• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avoid Sony CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OTS

yorkie said:
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4400148.stm

:roll:

You have been warned!

Am I misunderstanding the article? :?
From what I see, all Sony have done is put a system in place to stop their CDs being illegally copied!

David

Established Member
OTS said:
From what I see, all Sony have done is put a system in place to stop their CDs being illegally copied!
What Sony have done is place spyware on the CD's which is transferred to your PC, and it then reports back to Sony.

OTS

Harry Potter said:
OTS said:
What Sony have done is place spyware on the CD's which is transferred to your PC, and it then reports back to Sony.

But from rereading the article, it only seems to happen when you attempt to illegally copy the CD! :?

bluecont

What happens is, when you put the CD in your computer. It installs some software a 'rootkit' which hides itself, and anything else beginning with $sys$ from pretty much anything that searches your computer. As such any viruses that use this exploit will be invisible to virus scanners.

On top of this the software Sony use is really poorly built. Such that when you remove it, it will stop your CD drive working, untill you fix it. And it may do worse things. See the post at sysinternals, mentioned above.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.