• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avro Vulcan XH558 to take to the rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyPJG

Couldn't findany mention on the forum:-

BBC News item

Avro Vulcan XH558 to take to the rails

The retirement of the last airworthy Vulcan bomber caused "grown men" to cry - but soon a namesake Vulcan will fly along railway tracks.
A locomotive built at the appropriately named Vulcan Foundry has been refurbished and renamed Avro Vulcan XH558 after the aircraft.
Its refurbishment has been supported by the Vulcan To The Sky Trust, which owns the original Avro Vulcan XH558.
The aircraft was grounded in 2015 after technical backers withdrew support.

Vulcan To The Sky Trust chairman John Sharman said the aircraft and locomotive are both "outstanding" examples of "British innovation and engineering prowess".
"I am sure that our supporters will delight in seeing the name Avro Vulcan XH558 once again being carried around the country by such a fine machine, which not only carries the same name and registration number, but was also built in the early 60s at the Vulcan Foundry in Newton-le-Willows by English Electric," he said.
The Class 37 diesel-electric locomotive was built at the Vulcan Foundry, a locomotive builder in Lancashire, in the early 1960s
The new Avro Vulcan XH558 is a Class 37 diesel-electric locomotive.
It was bought in 2015 by freight operating company Direct Rail Services, which has refurbished the locomotive at its depot in Derby.
It will be used to pull passenger trains on mainline railway lines in England.
The bomber was grounded after engineering backers withdrew support
The Avro Vulcan XH558 depended on three companies for technical support, but they all withdrew their backing, leaving it unable to fly under Civil Aviation Authority regulations.
Pilot Martin Withers - one of those who flew the aircraft in its final season - said he was greeted like a "rock star" at air shows.
"I've been on the ground at one or two air shows and grown men are crying on one another's shoulders and all the rest of it," he said.
People can still see the aircraft on the ground at its base at Robin Hood Airport in Yorkshire.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daikilo

Established Member
Couldn't findany mention on the forum:-

BBC News item

A letter I have not yet sent!

Dear BBC,

It would be helpful if you could communicate with a view to educating people!

Firstly, in mythology, Vulcan was the Greek god of fire, and thus his name was used for many things associated with heat.

Vulcan Foundry was part of the English Electric group having been created originally in 1847. They produced mainly iron and steel products but other non-ferrous also. I could find no evidence that they ever produced aluminium products.

Avro (A.V. Roe) was founded in 1910 and had nothing to do with the Vulcan Foundry other than also being based in Lancashire. The planes were built of wood and cloth then later aluminium.

The English Electric locomotive is still 37424 but now has a commemorative plaque on its side.

One possible link is that 37424 is owned by Direct Rail Services, which is the rail arm of the nuclear decommissioning Authority (ex-British Nuclear Fuels Limited) whilst the Avro Vulcan was designed to carry bombs, some with nuclear warheads.

Wikipedia and various other sources will give you all the references for these facts!

DaleCooper

Established Member

Dear BBC,

Firstly, in mythology, Vulcan was the Greek god of fire, and thus his name was used for many things associated with heat.

Vulcan Foundry was part of the English Electric group having been created originally in 1847. They produced mainly iron and steel products but other non-ferrous also. I could find no evidence that they ever produced aluminium products.

Avro (A.V. Roe) was founded in 1910 and had nothing to do with the Vulcan Foundry other than also being based in Lancashire. The planes were built of wood and cloth then later aluminium.

The English Electric locomotive is still 37424 but now has a commemorative plaque on its side.

One possible link is that 37424 is owned by Direct Rail Services, which is the rail arm of the nuclear decommissioning Authority (ex-British Nuclear Fuels Limited) whilst the Avro Vulcan was designed to carry bombs, some with nuclear warheads.

Wikipedia and various other sources will give you all the references for these facts!

I'm confused; I can't see what details you are referring to in the BBC article. It appeared factually correct to me.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Dear BBC,

what on earth are you wibbling on about? The only mistake in the linked report is that DRS don't have a depot in Derby. RVEL do ;)

Townsend Hook

To be totally fair it does carry the number 37558 in great big numerals on it's bodysides, only carrying '424' in small numerals on the cab ends, so as far as most people will be concerned it is 37558.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
what on earth are you wibbling on about? The only mistake in the linked report is that DRS don't have a depot in Derby. RVEL do ;)

That's Loram UK now..

Harbornite

Established Member
Apparently this loco might be registered as 37558 on the rolling stock library.

Rail Blues

Is there a reason why DRS are painting their 37s into BR large logo? Is it to make them more attractive for charter hire? Not that I'm complaining, they look fantastic.

On Moderation
Is there a reason why DRS are painting their 37s into BR large logo? Is it to make them more attractive for charter hire? Not that I'm complaining, they look fantastic.

Or because they are embarrassed by them and the constant failures on the Cumbrian coast and don't want to be associated with them?

CosherB

Established Member
Or because they are embarrassed by them and the constant failures on the Cumbrian coast and don't want to be associated with them?

I always thought that a DRS repaint was the equivalent of an 'F' exam! :D;)

Status
Not open for further replies.