• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Awaiting start with TFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mabs

Hi All,

I got my role play coming up for Night Tube. Is there any advice on what you need to do
It all depends on what role play you get.

You need to make sure you stick to the rules they give you. Read it carefully and try and remember them.

Use the rules in the role play. Remember customer service, health and safety and going the extra mile.

Also I found in my role play I had to ask lots of questions to know exactly what happened. They won't make it easy so you need to ask questions and then relate to the rules.

I hope it goes well for you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mawkie

Hi All,

I got my role play coming up for Night Tube. Is there any advice on what you need to do

You need to make sure you stick to the rules they give you. Read it carefully and try and remember them.

Use the rules in the role play. Remember customer service, health and safety and going the extra mile.

Also I found in my role play I had to ask lots of questions to know exactly what happened. They won't make it easy so you need to ask questions and then relate to the rules.

Mabs has given good advice. I would suggest that LU know that you won't be familiar with the intricacies of the various Rule Books.

So I would add being natural, friendly, assertive if need be, smiling, seek resolutions where possible, and being safety conscious. There isn't always a natural 'end' to the role play, so iirc there is a 10 minute limit (?), so ideally try to get to a resolution by then.

(If I remember, my role play was a homeless guy that refused to get off the train at the end of the night.)

Londonkens

With the Role play I was given
, I was playing the role of a CSA working at Vauxhall station.

A lady came back from New York using heathrow airport tube station but had forgotten her in date season ticket, I greeted her. I even told her my name (while pointing at my non existent name badge)

I then asked to see her ticket which She showed me which happened to be an expired season ticket I then politely said to her what happened For her to have one of those of which she said she must have left the new season ticket in New York I then asked her how she got through the barriers at Heathrow, she then said there were 100’s of people just waved through and the gates at that end were left open.

(I then realised it was about giving her options) so I asked her if she has any cash, Apple Pay, Apple watch, contactless payment, debit card, mobile phone or American dollars (which I said I could convert on my lunch break)

I then told her to give me her suit cases and to take a seat while I talk to my manager about these “dollars” my manager (who didn’t exist) said yes that’s fine to take them. I went back to her and said to her all is good with the dollars. At this point I feel like she hinted to me by saying “Isn’t that a bit too much trouble for you, I only live a few minutes from the station”

I then realised in that moment my friend who works for TFL said (you can’t keep them in the system) as in hold them captive, however you can’t let them IN randomly through the gates but always let them out after asking a few questions politely.

That’s when I said to her “madam, you’ve had a long day and a long flight” I then let her through the gates at “vauxall”, wished her all the best and we even had a chin wag about what she bought in duty free.

Try and let the role play last the full 10 minutes so they can see your character, your body language, eye contact and amazing customer service skills - don’t let it last only 2 minutes as the assessor won’t be able to mark you on all area’s needed for you to pass.

I was given my jacket and a form to fill in, always give them good detailed feedback by the way, not sure if this helps but the lady read it and was over the moon and thanked me as I waited in the waiting area bit.

I got my result the following day in the afternoon saying I’d passed and was then able to book myself in for an interview which I also passed the following week virtually.

Best of luck and I hope that helps as of course your situation that your given could be totally different, remember to give them plenty of “options” always be polite and friendly but firm and fair at the same time - always remember to give phenomenal service by going above and beyond the remit of your role.

Last edited:

BlackZeta

If that will help, my role play was with a guy sitting on the station smoking electronic cigarette. So of course I had to ask him if he’s ok, if he needs any help with his journey and then nicely ask to stop smoking as he’s on the station. In the end he decided to leave but I’ve asked him if he has a ticket and if I can see it. Of course the ticket was not for the zone which the role play were. So as previously been said, you have to be nice and polite and pay attention to the details. And I know it’s not easy to say but don’t stress and you’ll be fine. Good luck!

Uktwisted

Train Maintainer - 031680 applied in 2019 just got a call on Thursday 5th may offering me a position at the Ruislip depot , am awaiting an email this week to confirm it’s been a long wait but can wait to start

FinchN9

Haven’t heard anything back yet but I called 4/5 times iv been told I passed by 2 member but other members have told me they can’t tell me yet bit stuck in the middle with did i get the job or not

Does anyone know what kind of DBS check they do before employing you just rough idea so I know how long it will take for dbs check to come back I have been waiting so long for this opportunity

Yeah, same I’ve been waiting for ages for this opportunity, and now another one abroad has come up!

I’m thinking I will take the working abroad opportunity as I haven’t heard anything back yet, but when TfL hopefully comes up I will come back home. Just thinking that I will have to fly back for the Medical which could be a little costly! Haha.

I rang this morning the lady was lovely but again they just said that the results haven’t been released yet! 5 months.. :(

Have they still not contacted you? That is outrageous

Nope! Nothing, but congrats on yours, must be such a relief to know it’s all confirmed and you’re on your way! :)

I wonder if there has been anymore assessments for CSA2 roles since ours in Dec. Just interested to see how it’s moving considering we still haven’t heard back. ‍♀️

Yankee123

Has anyone who had their final interview on Dec 16th heard literally anything back yet??
I’ve just recently come across this forum and I also had my final interview on dec 16th but I’m still waiting for a outcome. I did get an email on Jan 13th saying your application has been received and will be reviewed against the requirements for the role. Once we have reviewed your application, we will contact you again to let you know whether you have been successful or unsuccessful in progressing to the next stage of recruitment. Please check your email account regularly and I haven’t heard from them since. I phoned them once in feb and once in March and they said they’re still waiting but I should find out soon!

Anusha

I’ve just recently come across this forum and I also had my final interview on dec 16th but I’m still waiting for a outcome. I did get an email on Jan 13th saying your application has been received and will be reviewed against the requirements for the role. Once we have reviewed your application, we will contact you again to let you know whether you have been successful or unsuccessful in progressing to the next stage of recruitment. Please check your email account regularly and I haven’t heard from them since. I phoned them once in feb and once in March and they said they’re still waiting but I should find out soon!
I also had the final interview on the same date but have not heard back anything since then. They told me the exact same thing you were told☹️.

ruby

Im surprised you dont have a start date yet, you were only a couple of numbers behind me

Mabs

Im surprised you dont have a start date yet, you were only a couple of numbers behind me

Me too but it could be based on where I live and or assessments results. That's all I could think of.

I will have to just wait and see.

You don't have long left to start your course. I hope it goes well for you.

ruby

Me too but it could be based on where I live and or assessments results. That's all I could think of.

I still have three months to wait but looking forward to it, i hope you get the call soon Fingers crossed for you

Londonkens

I still have three months to wait but looking forward to it, i hope you get the call soon Fingers crossed for you
3 months? What date did they give you? I was given first week of July

Yeah you should have a start day already but if I remember rightly you did do your medical after mine which means you should technically get a call within the next two weeks or so if not this week Mabs

Rme6

Different times for night tube and full time staff.

I think ruby and mabs are night tube.

Londonkens

Different times for night tube and full time staff.

I think ruby and mabs are night tube.

Ahhh yes that makes sense now, once the Elizabeth line opens it will also more than likely generate even more commuters into the central London stations I can see there being another recruitment drive for even more staff.

ruby

3 months? What date did they give you? I was given first week of July

Yeah you should have a start day already but if I remember rightly you did do your medical after mine which means you should technically get a call within the next two weeks or so if not this week Mabs
I am night tube and I was given middle of August. Training lasts 3 weeks so I would have though Mabs would have his dates by now since he was a couple of numbers behind me on the list.
TBH I would have loved an earlier start but I get the notion of business needs

Mabs

I just checked my emails, Still nothing from TFL.

Still waiting without knowing how long il have to wait.

ruby

I just checked my emails, Still nothing from TFL.

Still waiting without knowing how long il have to wait.
They usually call before they email and I know recruitment has started moving slowly again for those that were stalled after their role play so I'm sure it will come soon. I would suggest calling Katie every two weeks you will get a faster answer that way. fingers crossed she will call you before you have to call her

Londonkens

Only update I’d say is that any holidays (annual leave) you have arranged with your current employer please let Katie know on the high volume email, she’ll then send to HR so you’re guaranteed to have that time off. As TFL holiday’s for CSA’s are all allocated for you for the entire year unless you swap. I sent my 6 weeks across and now it’s all set in stone.

Mabs

Only update I’d say is that any holidays (annual leave) you have arranged with your current employer please let Katie know on the high volume email, she’ll then send to HR so you’re guaranteed to have that time off. As TFL holiday’s for CSA’s are all allocated for you for the entire year unless you swap. I sent my 6 weeks across and now it’s all set in stone.
That's a good idea. I was thinking to book a holiday in the October Half term. I might email Katie and let her know.

Rme6

Thank you for the information. I just emailed Katie with my dates.

Mabs

They usually call before they email and I know recruitment has started moving slowly again for those that were stalled after their role play so I'm sure it will come soon. I would suggest calling Katie every two weeks you will get a faster answer that way. fingers crossed she will call you before you have to call her
I just got an email from TFL that I'm work ready but I still need to be patient. It won't be too much longer I need to wait.

Londonkens

I just got an email from TFL that I'm work ready but I still need to be patient. It won't be too much longer I need to wait.

Wow finally! The main thing is that your “work ready” you’ll more than likely get an autumn training date or you’ll get a position on one of the summer dates if someone drops out!

You must be relieved.

Who has a training date in June?

BlackZeta

Wow finally! The main thing is that your “work ready” you’ll more than likely get an autumn training date or you’ll get a position on one of the summer dates if someone drops out!

You must be relieved.

Who has a training date in June?
I’m starting in June, one week left :)

BlackZeta

How are you feeling? Can’t wait for you to fill us all in on what we will be expecting
I’m excited to finally start after such a long wait but at the same time a bit stressed. Hopefully everything will go well and I’ll get a good station and team to work with :) of course I’ll let you know what to expect!

Just an update after first day. Very nice and positive atmosphere. Trainers are really helpful and giving all the information. We had a group of 10 and from tomorrow we’ll have two groups of 5. The stations were Bond Street, Oxford Circus, Heathrow, Euston, London Bridge and Waterloo. I’ll let you know more after few days ;)

Last edited:

Rme6

I’m excited to finally start after such a long wait but at the same time a bit stressed. Hopefully everything will go well and I’ll get a good station and team to work with :) of course I’ll let you know what to expect!

Just an update after first day. Very nice and positive atmosphere. Trainers are really helpful and giving all the information. We had a group of 10 and from tomorrow we’ll have two groups of 5. I’ve got a Bond Street area with one more guy. The rest got Oxford Circus, Heathrow, Euston, London Bridge and Waterloo. I’ll let you know more after few days ;)
That's great.

Did you get to choose where you want to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.