• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Awaiting start with TFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rme6

A time you had to deal with aggressive customer.

A time when you went above and beyond to achieve a target.

Google competency based question for customer service roles.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roger1973

I understand its a competency based interview, any tips or questions that could get me started please

This means it's likely to be questions like "give me an example of a time you did X"

each X being something that should have been in the job description or whatever they sent. Could be a specific technical skill, or something like "a time you dealt with a difficult customer / conflict situation" - I've not seen the exact job description.

They are likely to want one example in reasonable detail, not a selection (which can be unfair, as it means a person with one well rehearsed example will out-perform someone with a wide range of relevant experience but hasn't rehearsed as well.)

Some people would recommend going through the job description, and rehearsing an answer to suit each one, others would recommend thinking up a couple of examples in advance, then using whichever suits depending on the exact wording of the question. You'll know which approach will suit you better.

Depending on circumstances, that example might come from situations outside previous paid work, e.g. study, volunteering, maybe even family responsibilities if it's relevant.

If you've not met the concept, look up STAR interview technique (situation - task - actions - result) and the actions bit (which is the main part of the answer) should be about what you did, not the wider team.

Some interviewers will add a further twist like 'and what would you do different next time?' or 'and what did you learn from this?'

At best, it can end up like a good natter down the pub (albeit without the beer) about jobs you've done in the past. At worst, it can be very narrow, rigid questions asked by someone who doesn't really know a lot about the job, and is just ticking off the buzzwords that they are looking for.

Best of luck.

Mabs

I finally got the call ☺️

I start my course on the 12th of September 2022.

They will email me my contract four weeks before I start but I was told I need to do the drug test again as it's only valid for 6 months.

I hope everyone else gets a call soon.

dott

Hi All,

This is my first time posting here, I've mainly just been reading the forums and usually find the answer I'm looking for.

I have my scenario based assessment in a couple of weeks and am struggling to prepare for it and TFL haven't sent any practice material either. Asking around i've managed to piece together 3 potential scenarios they might assess on, these are as follows:

1. a person smoking a vap on the train/station
2. a person with their feet on the seats
3. a person with the wrong ticket

are there any experienced chaps on here that could advise on the best way to handle these scenarios as im told that the actors dont make the job easy for you.
Thanks in advance.

Dott

Londonkens

Hi All,

This is my first time posting here, I've mainly just been reading the forums and usually find the answer I'm looking for.

I have my scenario based assessment in a couple of weeks and am struggling to prepare for it and TFL haven't sent any practice material either. Asking around i've managed to piece together 3 potential scenarios they might assess on, these are as follows:

are there any experienced chaps on here that could advise on the best way to handle these scenarios as im told that the actors dont make the job easy for you.
Thanks in advance.

Dott

Just remember you’re not going to be aware of any policies TFL have and they won’t expect you to know them either. My advice would always be to just be yourself 100% of the time, be kind, warm and welcoming, offer the best customer service you would like if ever you ran into any issues with any other firms (remember to go above and beyond) ask questions, introduce yourself, eye contact and one of the pieces of advise I was given was allow the role play to stretch for the full 10 minutes and offer the person plenty of options within reason - in saying that do not run out of time either.

Don’t be nervous, you’ll be absolutely fine no matter what, you’ve got this.

They will email me my contract four weeks before I start but I was told I need to do the drug test again as it's only valid for 6 months.

WOW! Finally at long last.. I’m so happy for you! This is amazing news, you must be over the moon.

Mabs

Just remember you’re not going to be aware of any policies TFL have and they won’t expect you to know them either. My advice would always be to just be yourself 100% of the time, be kind, warm and welcoming, offer the best customer service you would like if ever you ran into any issues with any other firms (remember to go above and beyond) ask questions, introduce yourself, eye contact and one of the pieces of advise I was given was allow the role play to stretch for the full 10 minutes and offer the person plenty of options within reason - in saying that do not run out of time either.

Don’t be nervous, you’ll be absolutely fine no matter what, you’ve got this.

WOW! Finally at long last.. I’m so happy for you! This is amazing news, you must be over the moon.
Yes I'm very happy. Because I work part time for SWR I can keep both jobs at SWR and TFL.

I need to book 3 weeks off for training but I won't email my roster clerk until Monday. The railway is currently having strikes so I don't want to stress them out even more.

ruby

Congratulations mate. I’m so happy for you.

I handed my notice in today. Feeling nervous and excited.
You will be ok. You made it this far.

Last edited:

FinchN9

So I received my offer 2 weeks ago and I’ve completed my medical today! I gave the information for my reed screening a few days ago and tried to log in to check the progress today and it’s not letting me log in.. wonder if it’s complete??

Congrats!!! :) Must feel so good to finally have it in the diary :)

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Dott
I actually had all 3 of these things happen in my scenario. Like other people have said, they don’t expect you to know all there procedures. They do give you a fact sheet before had with some helpful ones though. :) But they are mainly looking at the way you are speaking to and handling the customer and how helpful and open you are. I missed the feet on the seat, as I was too focused on the vape and I still passed. So you don’t have to get everything right. :)

Londonkens

I handed my notice in today. Feeling nervous and excited.

I’m handing in mine on Friday, end of an era for sure excitement and a mix of nerves too. We will be fine

I still wonder what happened to blackzeta as he/she disappeared sending any messages in the forum during training.

Rme6

I’m handing in mine on Friday, end of an era for sure excitement and a mix of nerves too. We will be fine

I still wonder what happened to blackzeta as he/she disappeared sending any messages in the forum during training.
Probably got busy

So a silly question but I'm going to ask anyway. What is "smart casual". I spent my working life in uniform, jeans and t shirt and pj's. Not very social person. So please help me here. What do I wear on training?

Last edited:

Londonkens

Basically plain clothes with no logo’s on, like all black - plain jumpers or shirts - plain jeans with no rips or anything would be ok too

Footwear I would say wear a boot or a shoe, if not then a black trainer of some sort

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Dott
Unless I've missed something, you haven't actually said what the job you have applied for is?

Mabs

I know the swr line quite well, Do you think I should study the underground map, try and memorise which station is on which line before the training?

I already know about zones, railcards and ticket types but i need to study stations. Eg I mostly know the Central line, District line and a bit of Piccadilly line but not much around North London.

Last edited:

Mawkie

I know the swr line quite well, Do you think I should study the underground map, try and memorise which station is on which line before the training?

I already know about zones, railcards and ticket types but i need to study stations. Eg I mostly know the Central line, District line and a bit of Piccadilly line but not much around North London.

It won't hurt for background knowledge, but it's not even touched on in training.

Mabz

One of my questions was a time I had to fix something.

It was easy for me because I already work part time for SWR ticket office so I often fix problems with the TVM and load more tickets, sort out any ticket or coin jams.

It could come up so it's something to think about.

I just realised you are also a Mabs, Mabz
Thanks mabs from Mabz

Thank you
This means it's likely to be questions like "give me an example of a time you did X"

each X being something that should have been in the job description or whatever they sent. Could be a specific technical skill, or something like "a time you dealt with a difficult customer / conflict situation" - I've not seen the exact job description.

They are likely to want one example in reasonable detail, not a selection (which can be unfair, as it means a person with one well rehearsed example will out-perform someone with a wide range of relevant experience but hasn't rehearsed as well.)

Some people would recommend going through the job description, and rehearsing an answer to suit each one, others would recommend thinking up a couple of examples in advance, then using whichever suits depending on the exact wording of the question. You'll know which approach will suit you better.

Depending on circumstances, that example might come from situations outside previous paid work, e.g. study, volunteering, maybe even family responsibilities if it's relevant.

If you've not met the concept, look up STAR interview technique (situation - task - actions - result) and the actions bit (which is the main part of the answer) should be about what you did, not the wider team.

Some interviewers will add a further twist like 'and what would you do different next time?' or 'and what did you learn from this?'

At best, it can end up like a good natter down the pub (albeit without the beer) about jobs you've done in the past. At worst, it can be very narrow, rigid questions asked by someone who doesn't really know a lot about the job, and is just ticking off the buzzwords that they are looking for.

Best of luck

Last edited:

Atiqur

Morning all, I got a night tube training date for middle August. Contracts will come out 3 weeks before the start date. It’s such a relief to have a date.

Hope everyone else gets one soon too.
Congrats ruby,
I have my final interview next week for csa night tube part time position. I am really nervous, how was your interviews? do you have any tips or advice for me . I would greatly appreciate it

I have my
Final csa night tube interview next week, im
Really
Nervous. Does anyone have any tips of advice ? Thank you

Last edited:

Mabs

Does anyone know how many weeks or days of Holiday we get for the part time night tube csa role?

ruby

Congrats ruby,
I have my final interview next week for csa night tube part time position. I am really nervous, how was your interviews? do you have any tips or advice for me . I would greatly appreciate it

I have my
Final csa night tube interview next week, im
Really
Nervous. Does anyone have any tips of advice ? Thank you
Hiya, just make sure you have strong examples of when you have gone above and beyond in delivering customer service and when you have dealt with safety issues and also a time when someone has been difficult and what you did to calm them and still serve them well.
I have never met anyone that failed te interview stage so I wouldn't be worried. You will be fine

Uktwisted

Train Maintainer - 031680 applied in 2019 just got a call on Thursday 5th may offering me a position at the Ruislip depot , am awaiting an email this week to confirm it’s been a long wait but can wait to start
I’ve had my medical today , passed it all and have a start date of august the 8th , have no idea what to expect

BlackZeta

Hi guys! Congratulations to everyone for getting starting dates or moving closer ;)
Sorry for disappearing but I was overwhelmed in the beginning on the station :)
For now I’m two weeks on my station, I really like it. I passed the training/shadowing. In the end of shadowing week I had to sit down with area manager and answer few questions about the station and some procedures which are in log book and then he signed my book. Now as a CSA2 it’s not much to do to be honest. Mainly ticket hall, helping with directions and tickets at POMs. I’ve started to do security checks by myself already but no one will push you to do something what you’re not sure about or not feeling comfortable with. And there’s always someone to help you. I believe most of the people on trainings are getting bigger stations so you’re not gonna be left alone. At the moment I have a spare duties until I’ll be on a proper roster and I’m waiting for a annual leave roster.

Rme6

Hi guys! Congratulations to everyone for getting starting dates or moving closer ;)
For now I’m two weeks on my station, I really like it. I passed the training/shadowing. In the end of shadowing week I had to sit down with area manager and answer few questions about the station and some procedures which are in log book and then he signed my book. Now as a CSA2 it’s not much to do to be honest. Mainly ticket hall, helping with directions and tickets at POMs. I’ve started to do security checks by myself already but no one will push you to do something what you’re not sure about or not feeling comfortable with. And there’s always someone to help you. I believe most of the people on trainings are getting bigger stations so you’re not gonna be left alone. At the moment I have a spare duties until I’ll be on a proper roster and I’m waiting for a annual leave roster.
So good to hear from you. If you could just answer few questions. When did they issue you with the uniform and free oyster card and did they say they will honour any holiday booked already?

Mawkie

I'm happy you've found your feet so quickly! I'm sure you're going to be the most popular forum member for a while... :D

Next step is to request CSA1 training and get a higher salary and slightly more interesting roles? And ask for lift and escalator training?

(Hopefully you joined the RMT - most people say they don't need to because they 'are good guys' that don't cause trouble at work - but trouble has a way of finding you at LU so it's good to have someone that's got your back.)

Rme6

I'm happy you've found your feet so quickly! I'm sure you're going to be the most popular forum member for a while... :D

Next step is to request CSA1 training and get a higher salary and slightly more interesting roles? And ask for lift and escalator training?

(Hopefully you joined the RMT - most people say they don't need to because they 'are good guys' that don't cause trouble at work - but trouble has a way of finding you at LU so it's good to have someone that's got your back.)
Yep, you must join trade union. That's your insurance policy

BlackZeta

Yes, I’ve joined the unions. That what they were suggesting in the beginning just to be safe.
Uniforms - they’ll give it to you in Ashfield house but not everything. If the sizes are wrong they’ll send you to uniform office in Angel to try to change it. You’ll get the oyster on your first day - the most exiting part :lol:
CSA1 training you’ll have it after you’ll pass the probation. It’s normally 6 months but it can take up to 8-9 months till you’ll be send for the training. And they’ll accept your holiday. First day on the meeting with area manager he was asking for it but you can send it as well to the recruitment team before your training.

Rme6

Yes, I’ve joined the unions. That what they were suggesting in the beginning just to be safe.
Uniforms - they’ll give it to you in Ashfield house but not everything. If the sizes are wrong they’ll send you to uniform office in Angel to try to change it. You’ll get the oyster on your first day - the most exiting part :lol:
CSA1 training you’ll have it after you’ll pass the probation. It’s normally 6 months but it can take up to 8-9 months till you’ll be send for the training. And they’ll accept your holiday. First day on the meeting with area manager he was asking for it but you can send it as well to the recruitment team before your training.
Thank you very much

Londonkens

How is everyone’s training going? I had to move mine to the august training due to family issues - any more tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.