• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Awkward Stations to Find in towns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
As a kind of similar thread to stations that aren't near the towns they serve I wondered about stations which are in the town but can be awkward to find. I think Walsall can be difficult to find coming from the town centre side especially in the evenng when the shopping centre used to access it during the day is closed and you have have to find the 'side entrance'.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
I've got lost trying to find my way back to Lichfield City before.

tsr

Established Member
Dorking West is one. I occasionally mention its low usage on here. The main reason I can see is that it is tucked away behind some industrial buildings on the outskirts of the main part of the town.

Although it's not in a town, some of the entrances to London Bridge can be a bit hard to find.

steamybrian

Established Member
There are quite a few I have found difficult trying to find the main entrance-

Birmingham New Street
I got lost in the shops around the station trying to find the entrance. I eventually asked someone and they pointed me to an unmarked escalator between the shops which led me down into the entrance .

Windsor and Eton Central
Found the station ok but the entrance to the now one platform in use is hidden behind shops/ commercial outlets.

Bradford Forster Square
Had difficulty finding it.
Hidden from the main road behind a wall along a side road behind an office block.
Bradford Interchange
Found the bus station easy.!
I could see the railway station was hidden away upstairs but I could not find the entrance. Had to ask a member of staff who pointed me to an anonymous unmarked stairs/escalator.
Dorking West I agree with tsr above.
London Bridge is an ongoing challenge as entrances change. The next couple of years will be interesting as major reconstruction work continues.

Capybara

This subject has been on here before and I'll give the answer I did then. Unless you are in Waterloo Road or the imax end of York Road, Waterloo can be very difficult to find. I work in the area and have been stopped on many occasions asking about how to get into the station.

ess

st neots is pretty hard to find because its at the edge of the town, not miles away from it but not signposted for pedestrians so unless you're in a car...

JGR

Wakefield Kirkgate
Even some of my relatives who live in/around Wakefield have had issues trying to find it.

(Cue jokes about why anyone would want to find Wakefield Kirkgate).

Yew

Established Member
I managed to walk all the way around victoria without finding it ( I ended up going through the shopping centre)

ChristopherJ

Dagenham Dock - a 7 minute walk down a dead-end industrial lane.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...ACAA;FYI7EgMdbT4CAA&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=m&z=16

The lane used to extend across the railway by means of a level crossing which had to be removed to enable the CTRL to be constructed.

5668745887_ea8358c30f.jpg

Deerfold

Veteran Member

wintonian

Established Member
I allways have trouble finding Blackfriars but maybe that's just me.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I allways have trouble finding Blackfriars but maybe that's just me.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

The Northern entrance is pretty hard to miss now from some distance away. The Southern entrance is rather better hidden.

Track Basher

Manulla Jn in Ireland has no access at all. It is only accessable by train.

Sinfin Central in Derby used to be hidden away before it closed.

Watford West also before it closed.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
In Essex, Hockley station isn't at all well signposted, despite the railway bridge over the main road making the presence of the railway line quite obvious (one entrance is through a new housing estate,another down a side street and across a car park).

Erith station is a bit of a nightmare to get to, despite being pretty much in the town centre. And Woolwich Dockyard can take some finding, too.

btcc fan

I would go for Morley near Leeds.

The station is over a mile from town centre and is down a complete dead end road.

Clip

Established Member
Dumpton Park in Thanet has now had a housing estate built over where the entrance and car psrk was and you have to walk through to find the station. Whiclt there is one sign post you wouldnt really know it was there, being in a cutting also

ashworth

Established Member
Epsom Downs. Completely hidden away from any main road access through quite an exclusive private housing development.

Having a day out around south London using my Oyster Card I had arrived at Tattenham Corner and decided to walk around Epsom Racecourse and then get the train back to Croydon from Epsom Downs. I had to ask numerous people directions before I eventually found it.

MattRobinson

Sheffield Station on foot (the tram takes you right to the door, but if on foot, you have to walk via the bus station and down pretty derelict streets).

class303

Warrington central. stopped for a quick pint in warrington when changing from BQ for connection. got lost in a maze of slip roads, fenced off areas and general chaos. just made my connection. not well signposted whatsoever from the bus station.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Epsom Downs. Completely hidden away from any main road access through quite an exclusive private housing development.

Having a day out around south London using my Oyster Card I had arrived at Tattenham Corner and decided to walk around Epsom Racecourse and then get the train back to Croydon from Epsom Downs. I had to ask numerous people directions before I eventually found it.

Guess what they built that exclusive private housing estate on ;)

Bellwater

Heworth on the Newcastle-Sunderland line(no indication there's an NR station there all Metro last I looked).
Sunderland.
Netherfield on the Nottm to Skeg.

12CSVT

Established Member
Bedford St Johns can easily be missed if you aren't familiar with the area

Manors (National Rail station) is almost impossible to find, especially if you are walking from the Metro station

Chapeltom

Established Member
Chapel en le Frith station - not exactly centrally located.

New Mills Central is down a steep hill, not immediately obvious.

blue sabre

Heworth on the Newcastle-Sunderland line(no indication there's an NR station there all Metro last I looked)..

I'd never realised how little it was signposted, used to use it daily too - guess you get used to it being there.
Manors mainline station gets my vote.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Sheffield Station on foot (the tram takes you right to the door, but if on foot, you have to walk via the bus station and down pretty derelict streets).

The main/best route is Howard Street - http://tigergrowl.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/howardstreet.jpg - much better introduction to the city

Locally, Darnall is a nuisance to find
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This subject has been on here before

Agreed

I'll give the answer I did then. Unless you are in Waterloo Road or the imax end of York Road, Waterloo can be very difficult to find. I work in the area and have been stopped on many occasions asking about how to get into the station.

Agreed again - it's a huge building and it's obviously up there above the street, but I've spent some time wandering around it trying to get a route in - I think that the routes in could be better advertised (for such a busy station)

NSE

Established Member
st neots is pretty hard to find because its at the edge of the town, not miles away from it but not signposted for pedestrians so unless you're in a car...

I came down from there today :P Errrrrrrm, I come in from the Cambourne/Cambridge direction, its easy to find as I'm sure (if you're local) you'll agree. But now you mention it, I can't think of anything in the way of signposts from the Bedford direction. As a local though I just know it :P

Status
Not open for further replies.