• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AWS bings, bells and beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom1649

Does anyone know why the traditional AWS bell was replaced with the current system? Was it down to driver preference, or perhaps advances in electronics?

Also which was the first Class to have the new system? I know 507s and 508s were fitted with bells, but by the time we get to 142 Pacers and 150 Sprinters the new system was fitted.

A last question, which was the last EMU to be fitted with a bell for guard-driver communication rather than a buzzer? Class 322?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Advancement of technology with a move to digital equipment being simpler to maintain having the bell/horn coming from one electronic unit instead of having seperate bell and air horns for AWS indication. As far as I'm aware the 140 or 141 were the first have the digital AWS alarm unit.

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
A last question, which was the last EMU to be fitted with a bell for guard-driver communication rather than a buzzer? Class 322?

Class 377s have bells rather than a buzzer or beeper.

tom1649

Thanks for the information. Good to hear that bells are still being used on some modern units.

You could make a comparison with the tendency for fire alarms to have electronic sounders rather than bells these days. Always preferred a good old bell myself.

driver9000

Established Member
Thanks for the information. Good to hear that bells are still being used on some modern units.

You could make a comparison with the tendency for fire alarms to have electronic sounders rather than bells these days. Always preferred a good old bell myself.

All the trains I drive have a proper fire bell.

shedman

I once caught an Electrostar from Gatwick and was suprised that the intermediate door controls in the saloon also had a bell!

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I once caught an Electrostar from Gatwick and was suprised that the intermediate door controls in the saloon also had a bell!

That's probably the bell/buzzer communication system between the guard and the driver.

shedman

Sorry that's what I meant, I wasn't quite sure how to word it. The guard was in the saloon on one off the local panels when she gave the driver 2. I was expecting it to be the more common beep.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Sorry that's what I meant, I wasn't quite sure how to word it. The guard was in the saloon on one off the local panels when she gave the driver 2. I was expecting it to be the more common beep.

Oh right, I see. My mistake. Some still are fitted with bells for that. The 321 has a bell I think as well?

driver9000

Established Member
Class 153 have bells for the AWS

No they don't, they have the digital chime/ping unit that has been standard since for multiple units built since the 1980s. Even new build locomotives and the rebuilt HSTs have the digital AWS alarm.

strange6

Established Member
My class 108 will certainly have a horn and bell :) Is the horn activated when the reverser is put into the desk does anybody know? Like the AWS check on modern units when the desk is made live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPeP8l4POWw

The horn is activated in this clip but what has the driver done to activate it? I'm sure I can hear him click the reverser into position just before the horn. I'm pretty sure these reversers were situated in the gear column and were taken out (along with the brake handle) when the desk was not in use.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
Locomotives had a change end key in the cab to activate the AWS and sound the horn, I think on the old multiple units it was activated when the control key on the desk is turned.

strange6

Established Member
Locomotives had a change end key in the cab to activate the AWS and sound the horn, I think on the old multiple units it was activated when the control key on the desk is turned.

Is the control key the same as the reverser handle? It was a removable metal handle on the 1st gens but is a fixed switch on the second gens? I get a bit confused when people use different terms for the same thing :)

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
No. It was a small key that was used to electrically activate the cab. The reverser unlocked the mechanical controls.

Going back to AWS, Eurostars had a proper bell.

Last edited:

O L Leigh

Established Member
Does anyone know why the traditional AWS bell was replaced with the current system? Was it down to driver preference, or perhaps advances in electronics?

The electronic chime or "ping" has no moving parts, unlike the AWS bell. This made it cheaper to produce and less prone to failure.

O L Leigh

Welshman

Established Member

I think I remember reading somewhere[Modern Railways?] that driver comfort and concentration also played a major part in the change. For example, when passing through a suburban area with closely-spaced signalling, a loud bell ringing every minute or so could be a bit of a pain.

Strange6 - You're clearly getting very excited about your forthcoming dmu experience! Which line are you doing it on?
When I did mine on the Churnet Valley last year I didn't have to worry about testing the AWS as there was none on that line!

tom1649

I think I remember reading somewhere[Modern Railways?] that driver comfort and concentration also played a major part in the change. For example, when passing through a suburban area with closely-spaced signalling, a loud bell ringing every minute or so could be a bit of a pain.

Strange6 - You're clearly getting very excited about your forthcoming dmu experience! Which line are you doing it on?
When I did mine on the Churnet Valley last year I didn't have to worry about testing the AWS as there was none on that line!

Some bells do seem louder than others. I was watching a cab ride with the 207 Thumpers from Ashford to Hastings and noticed that while they had the bell, they had the electronic warning beep rather than the horn. A hybrid?

Which preserved lines have working AWS?

pendolino

The modern ones are pretty annoying too. A loud, ear piercing PING! every 30 seconds. It's no wonder some drivers stuff little bits of tissue paper in the holes in the loudspeaker grille.

Nym

Established Member

There is a good reason why they use claksons instead of bells, if you suffer from industrial deafness, you can't hear bells sometimes. Also, you can play messages or use NIAD style allarms the scare the hell out of anyone who is ex. forces.

EG..

*Alarm* "An incident as arisen that necessitates the immediate evacuation of this area, please proceed to the nearest emergency exit, and follow any further instructions from staff"

Stolen from Manchester Airport Terminal 2's fire system (Custom built Protec system)

headshot119

Established Member
Is the control key the same as the reverser handle? It was a removable metal handle on the 1st gens but is a fixed switch on the second gens? I get a bit confused when people use different terms for the same thing :)

AWS on a first gen unit is not activated when you put your key into the desk, you have to pull a small lever on the side of the AWS unit.

Old Timer

Established Member
AWS on a first gen unit is not activated when you put your key into the desk, you have to pull a small lever on the side of the AWS unit.
Correct, its the AWS changeover switch, located to the right hand side of the panel behind the driver. On changing ends the AWS changeover switch was set up in the other cab.

Going back to the original question.

The AWS equipoment was originally installed on steam and the earlier diesel locomotives where ambient noise was a problem. This was the reason that the original AWS was set so loud.

During the 1960s BR became aware of issues relating to the noise of the AWS, and the development of cases of hearing loss amongst footplate staff either in the late 1970s or the early 1980s.

As part of a long saga, the ambient noise level of the AWS was reduced sometime during the 1970s I recall.

Continued exposure to the old style AWS however continued to lead to noise induced hearing loss, and a compensation scheme was implemented for footplate staff.

It was however necessary to comply with Legislation on noise and the introduction of new AWS sounds allowed for this compliance as well as bringing with it a more reliable unit.

350desiro

My class 108 will certainly have a horn and bell :) Is the horn activated when the reverser is put into the desk does anybody know? Like the AWS check on modern units when the desk is made live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPeP8l4POWw

The horn is activated in this clip but what has the driver done to activate it? I'm sure I can hear him click the reverser into position just before the horn. I'm pretty sure these reversers were situated in the gear column and were taken out (along with the brake handle) when the desk was not in use.

I think he open the cock like you do on loco's but not too sure

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I think the HSTs were the first to have an electronic sound for AWS caution instead of an air horn, which was followed on with the 56s, the 313 series, the 455s and the first batch of 317s. I think the 58s were the first to have the bell replaced by an electronic "ping", and from then on it was standard. With the fitment of TPWS which replaced the AWS equipment with a combined AWS/TPWS box, all air horns were replaced by an electronic sound, but the bell was retained. These also have the more modern self test that tests the clear sound too, so you get the caution tone and then bell when testing, same as modern trains give a tone then ping. That wasn't original with the electronic sounds though, early Sprinters etc just give the tone when testing, no ping.

As for the driver-guard systems, bells and buzzers have both been in use for some time. Typically EMUs have had bells, going back to the days of rope operated bells on trams, DMUs have had buzzers. Beeps have typically been for Intercity stock. There have been variations though, and some stock has more than one (Turbostars and Electrostars for example have bells and buzzers as expected, but some also have beepers).

The change from having mechanically generated noises (either bells or buzzers) to having electronically generated ones (sound is still made mechanically, but generated electronically, incase we're being pedantic), is something found across the board. It's not only cheaper and more reliable, and often smaller (compared to a bell or horn), but also allows a wider range of sounds and better control of volume meaning that specific conditions can be communicated much more effectively and with different priorities (you want an advisory sound to be much quieter than a "warning you must take action now unless you want to die" sound). Although not used on the UK railways (yet AFAIK), voice can also be used. Voice tends to be a manufacturer thing though. Different sounds are afterall only as good as the operators ability to insantly recognise what that sound means, wheras voice is clearer, but noises work across language barriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.