• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Axminster area and the Weather...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Hi all,

A passing thought: anyone know how much of the newly installed signalling between Yeovil and Exeter has survived the recent weather at Axminster? South West Trains have said no services Honiton - Yeovil Junction because, following the flooding at Axminster, the line is "in need of extensive repair" and will remain closed probably until Wednesday 11th July.

For anyone wondering, workings are as follows atm:

- Trains between London Waterloo and Exeter St. Davids are running between London Waterloo and Yeovil Junction in accordance with the normal timings.

- Short workings are operating between Exeter Central and Honiton only. (Presumably they would use the bay platform at Exeter Central?)

If things on the railway through the Axminster area are as bad as it seems then any free-standing shunt signals on the flooded section of track (if there are any: I am not sure) could have been damaged / lost.

Lastly, if you have seen this on another forum that I posted this on then apologies for reposing.

Dave

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daza7789

Hi Dave

The signalling has survived the severe floods

A few track circuits showwing occupied cause by the flood water at Axminster east and Gillingham when the water was at its peak. and a few sets of points/motors will need a good going over by the S+T but that is all

Unfortunatly the damage cause to the track and earthworks in places is considerable.

2 major bank slips occured at the london end of honiton tunnel, and the saftey of the tunnel its self was also brought into gestion on saturday. the work and inspections here have been done now i believe. When it re-opens will be with a 20moh ESR for 1 1/4 miles!

There were other minor slips in the area that also need looking at. but not foul of the line.

The major issue is near Broom AHB crossing between Chard and Axminster. reported to us at the panel on saturday being under 12- 18 inches of flood water. Saturday evening this water recieded, taking track bed with it in 2 places. each site about 40-50 yards long, with ballast washed out from under the track at a depth of up to 5 feet in places. Signalling cabinets and cables have been displaced also by this but fortunatly equipment still works.

The sites above are covered by an emergency possession that was taken on saturday night between Chard and Honiton.
The hope with the sites where ballast has been washed out is to get it open with a 40MPH ESR covering both sites on wednesday morning. However this is NOT CERTAIN of happening. Alot is needed to fix these wash out sites (link to a picture of one on SWTs website), Over 300 tonnes of ballast is being delivered through a devistated road network to site, when dropped both sites need to be assessed to ensure stable, tamped (tamper went to yeovil today in readyness for intended tamping tuesday night) and stressed.

Not to mention the numerous other minor issues that need attending to (ie trees down, debris on line, and in one place near Crewkerne a large item of farm machinery stuck in a culvert after being carried by flood water.

Hats off to everyone if this is all open by wednesday morning!

Daz

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
National Rail disruptions info linked to a couple of pictures of typical damage taken in the Gillingham area:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/additional_info/Gillingham1.JPG

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/additional_info/Gillingham2.JPG

Those links will probably disappear with the end of the disruptioon of course, for those reading later in the week.

I do think they are getting better at this, using onsite pics is a useful way of ensuring pax realise that bad weather can wreck the line...

starrymarkb

Established Member
They did it... Though with some nasty speed restrictions.

SWT Site said:
Update: Wednesday 11 July 2012 Exeter St David's to Yeovil Junction.

Work to repair the track and equipment damaged by the flooding over the weekend has been completed to allow the line between Honiton and Yeovil Junction to re-open today.
We intend to run a through train service on the West of England line between Exeter St Davids and London Waterloo,
For safety reasons, trains between Honiton and Yeovil Junction will have to run at reduced speed. Between Crewkerne and Honiton a 50mph speed restriction has been imposed, normal line speed is 85mph. A 20mph speed is in place at broom level crossing (between Chard and Axminster). This will mean that journey times between Exeter and Salisbury will be extended by up to 60 minutes and customers should allow extra time for these journeys.
Please be aware that we have been issued with severe weather warning tonight, so please check before you travel in case of any changes to your train service.
Please check our Website National Rail Enquiries or call TrainTracker on 0871 200 49 50.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I ended up getting caught in the chaos at Bournemouth earlier when the line between Bournemouth and Brockenhurst was closed by flooding at Sway. I later learned that SWT organised coaches between New Milton and Sway but that was [.....] all use to the peeps stuck at Bournemouth.

I am quite certain that, if it had been FGW running the services instead of SWT, there would have been replacement coaches throughout from Bournemouth to Southampton ASAP and I hung on in the hope that some might get arranged unless the line was found to be OK first. As it was, those at Bournemouth were not so lucky although I did hear later that they managed to fix some to run between Sway and New Milton. Ended up waiting 2hr 20mins (2:40pm - 5pm) before managing to persuade a taxi driver to take me to Southampton Central (fare £60). Should have kept the receipt. But thanks SWT...not!

swt_oos110712.jpg

SWT units at Bournemouth, all out of service, 12-Jul-2012
Left to right: Class 444 no. 444038, 5706 and Class 444 no. 444031

Dave

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Coaches or buses are not easily available on weekday afternoons in July, ITYF. I think you don't realise how difficult it is to organise at very short notice.

Coach & bus firms just do not have large fleets of spare vehicles and qualified drivers available on call just in case the railway goes pants mid afternoon...

Local bus firms were probably just getting ready for all the school runs and their own peak timetables at the time this all kicked off yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.