• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ayr . Falkland yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Z09

Local press reports this yard under threat of closure with the loss of 50 jobs

Any further details??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Z09

No press troll,just concerned obout more jobs lost in the industry!

CarterUSM

Established Member
There were a few redundancies at this yard a couple of years ago. There is a substantial siding being built just north of kilmarnock station past the signal box to allow locomotives to be able to run around their load and return south. I work with a few ex freight men and they considered this a real threat to said depot. I don't know exactly what the reasoning is by closing falkland yard, though the new sidings certainly won't help it's cause. Please feel free to correct me also, I don't pretend to know exactly why, it's what i've heard from hearsay. :)

6Z09

There were a few redundancies at this yard a couple of years ago. There is a substantial siding being built just north of kilmarnock station past the signal box to allow locomotives to be able to run around their load and return south. I work with a few ex freight men and they considered this a real threat to said depot. I don't know exactly what the reasoning is by closing falkland yard, though the new sidings certainly won't help it's cause. Please feel free to correct me also, I don't pretend to know exactly why, it's what i've heard from hearsay. :)

Thanks for that.
Article mentions the Kilmarnock siding and the fact that Carlisle crews can do the jobs more cost effective than Ayr now that this siding is in use.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Yes, I believe it saves around 50 miles per journey not having to go to ayr to runaround. It's a disaster for people losing their jobs, I can't see many being re-located, if any either.

Spartacus

Established Member
I can't really see why bringing the Long Lyes backs into use would directly affect Falkland, it's pretty much so coal train can run longer than the loop at Mauchline will take without having to go all the way round the loop or run round at Barassie & I think most doing either now are Freightliner trains.

6Z09

Doesn't seem to be an article on http://www.ayrshirepost.net ...

No there is not ,but there is in the paper you buy at a newsagent, cant understand your paraniod attitude to a genuine enquiry to get a bit of background,sorry I ever mentioned it .
(The article does exist,written by Edwin Lawrence,carries quote from ASLEF regional secretary Kevin Lindsay.Local MP also aware.)

Last edited:

ladydsm

sorry to hear that ayr is to close are the unions or db schenker doing anything to find you jobs or is just goodbye and look after yourself.

FEEDUP

ADAM PRENTICE POST 05/02/2010

This post was not done Adam Prentice , The real person should get there facts right.........Shunters will be needed for New Cumnocks as there at least 6 trains a day over 3 shifts Ayr sheds are not at risk ( at the moment ) however they are up sale and have been for over 2 years ,Planning for housing has been sought for Ayr Depot but has been kicked into touch on 10 points , That said the Drivers are at risk but no date has been set.......So the real poster should have the guts to use there name and get the facts instead of stirring things up . Its bad enough at this time without all this bull............. I have known Adam all my railway career ... He has 30 not 34 years service and is 48 not 51 years old Facts are facts not lies

Last edited:

CarterUSM

Established Member
If that's true, that's quite a low thing to do. Very disappointing. Regardless of anything else, I hope work can be found one way or another when and if it's all over and done with.

Chains301

I have just been informed of the post about the "proposed closure" of Falkland yard.
Thank you Feedup for letting folks know that the "Adam Prentice" that posted the end of Falkland and Ayr, was not me.
I totally agree that the poster has to get his/her facts straight before posting such rubbish, and have the courage to put their own name to it...NOT MINE.

We are still struggling to comprehend the reasons behind this proposed closure, as Ayr and Falkland are perfectly placed to work all the coal traffic from the Ayrshire coalfields. We have been constantly reminded that we have to respond quickly to customers needs...how do we do that when the depot working these jobs is nearly 100 miles away?

The long lyes at Kilmarnock are only set up as one train working, and will not be able to handle the usual amount of traffic that comes from Falkland, or Carlisle. Those in the industry know that,"on paper" it works, but theory and reality are totally different...ask any rail worker or passenger and they will confirm that. On paper, no loco on trains arriving at Falkland, needs fueling at Ayr depot..in reality, more than 90% arrive with a 1/4 to 1/2 a tank.

DBS are a multi logistics company, using rail, road, air and sea transportation. Falkland has all 4 of these on our doorstep..the furthest away being the A/M74 which is, at most, 30/40 mins away.

The statement that Carlisle can do the same work quicker and with less pay is also untrue. Both depots work for DBS and as such are on the same wage structure and anyone with a grasp of simple maths, can work out that the depots are equidistant apart...but Falkland is much closer to the loading points...so how does Carlisle "do it quicker"?
I am in no way advocating that Carlisle should shut instead of Falkland..both have, what should be, an important part in the rail freight industry, but in this age of placing depots close to the source of work...where is the sense of closing Falkland?

The "REAL" Adam Prentice

harz99

Unfortunately, the vast majority of us reading this thread have no idea of who is telling the truth, if anyone - a case of "buyer beware" methinks.

Chains301

It is easy enough to find out who is telling the truth...you can contact me at Falkand Yard if anyone would like my works mobile number. My start date with the railways was 18/02/80. The fake post has me starting there 4 years earlier and 2 years older. Last friday I worked 4S79 from Carlisle to Falkand yard.

Anything else I can do to help clear up the truth...please don't hesitate to ask.

darkling

This is a very sad situation i can remember the days i was never away from Falkland a few years ago the place was going like a fair

I think its a huge mistake to close the Depot and yard, What happens when Freightliner go tits up and from what i've been told it is a When and not an If

6Z09

Reports in this weeks local press carry a statement from DB Schenker stating consultations are underway with the unions to close the traincrew depot ,but the yard will stay in use. Job losses now in the region of thirty.
This statement given to the Ayrshire Post and MP Sandra Osborne.

chris66

I regularly spot around Falkland Yard and hope for the sake of the drivers who rely on the yard for their jobs that the yard does, to some degree, stay open.
I absolutely love spotting around the yard and always find the staff very tolerant of the presence of enthusiasts.
I hope some clarification of the truth of the situation emerges soon.

ladydsm

This is a very sad situation i can remember the days i was never away from Falkland a few years ago the place was going like a fair

I think its a huge mistake to close the Depot and yard, What happens when Freightliner go tits up and from what i've been told it is a When and not an If

what make you think freightliner will go tits up if you are going to make statements like this at least give some evidence to back it up .

Status
Not open for further replies.