• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ayr - Mauchline / Killoch freight line

Status
Not open for further replies.

class303

Hi,

I thought i was knowledgeable about most rail lines in SW Scotland but I never even knew this one existed. I understand it was re-opened in 1988?

I'd be interested in the recent history of the line. What traffic it sees and its use as a diversionary route etc.

It seems quite a strange one, and takes quite a convoluted route to Killoch. Must be quite an expensive one to maintain with it covering so many miles? Makes me surprised it's lasted so long.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Never heard of it being used as a diversionary route in recent times for passenger workings.

Matlock Man

I travelled on this line on a Saturday in May 1976 or 1977 on a Merrymaker excursion from West Yorkshire to Largs.

stantheman

On Moderation
I can confirm it has been used for passenger diversions . Many years ago , I have pics of 47s and inter city coaches . Probably just once ,37170 was outstationed at Mauchline as standby . Regarding current traffic , virtually nothing other than the weekly Wembley to Irvine clay ! Possibly the very infrequent Hunterston flask might run this way . Not so long ago coal from Ayrshire to GSW for loading at Greenburn often used this route . Hope this helps .

stantheman

On Moderation
Hi,

I thought i was knowledgeable about most rail lines in SW Scotland but I never even knew this one existed. I understand it was re-opened in 1988?

I'd be interested in the recent history of the line. What traffic it sees and its use as a diversionary route etc.

It seems quite a strange one, and takes quite a convoluted route to Killoch. Must be quite an expensive one to maintain with it covering so many miles? Makes me surprised it's lasted so long.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Killoch is only accessible from the Ayr direction . Traffic there has finished I understand .

CW2

Established Member
Saturday 26/11/88 there was a planned block of the WCML south of Carstairs - some bridge replacement work I think? There were various passenger diversions via Kilmarnock / Dumfries, but a couple of trains took the Glasgow - Newton-on-Ayr - Annbank - Mauchline route. The 07:15 Glasgow Central - Euston was one such train, hauled by 47006 (so not a lot of train heat available in Scotland in late November).
I've done the line subsequently on railtours, but it's quite difficult to get on a service train. When the Euston - Stranraer train was running, you would have thought it might use this route on occasion, but the fact that the junction at the Ayr end only faced north made this unattractive. (The trackbed of the south-facing curve went through Ayr depot. I think it still existed in the late 70s / early 80s as an unsignalled move, but has since been lifted. Can anybody confirm?).

The 'Paddy' - the Stranraer sleeper - was routed via this line from 1965 (when the direct 'Port Line' closed) to 1976 when the south curve at Ayr Falkland was TOOU. It was subsequently routed via Kilmarnock and at the very end via Glasgow Central.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
The route has been used for freight diversions when the WCML has been blocked, e.g. during the Lamington Viaduct problems. I believe that there are certain intermodal units/wagon combinations that can fit within the gauge that way that cannot run via Kilmarnock.

class303

Thanks for the responses, interesting. Although I fear the the future of the line what with the current level of traffic. Not much freight anywhere in Ayrshire these days I suppose.

mcmad

Killoch is only accessible from the Ayr direction . Traffic there has finished I understand .
I've heard that Killoch has won another short term contract so limit service will be starting up again alas.

MadMac

The 'Paddy' - the Stranraer sleeper - was routed via this line from 1965 (when the direct 'Port Line' closed) to 1976 when the south curve at Ayr Falkland was TOOU. It was subsequently routed via Kilmarnock and at the very end via Glasgow Central.
What happened was that the signal box at the south end of Ayr MPD (Hawkhill Junction) burned down and wasn’t considered worth reinstating.

furnessvale

Established Member
I've heard that Killoch has won another short term contract so limit service will be starting up again alas.
Why "alas"? Surely the prospect of more rail traffic would be welcomed by people who frequent this forum.

stantheman

On Moderation
There’s a s b intermodal due over the line late afternoon from Grangemouth , this has been diverted via ECML all Sunday’s since Easter so not sure why this routing , route knowledge retention ?

stantheman

On Moderation
I think there was at one time an oil terminal at Auchincruive , assume it was for Prestwick airport . Many years ago I came across some rusty overgrown sidings here whilst plotting coal trains . Anyone confirm ?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There’s a s b intermodal due over the line late afternoon from Grangemouth , this has been diverted via ECML all Sunday’s since Easter so not sure why this routing , route knowledge retention ?
Been weekend engineering works between Carstairs and Carlisle for a few weeks now.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Possibly ancient history beyond the period the OP is interested in, but the line was used for passenger diversions a number of times in the early 1970s during electrification of the northern WCML.

At the time the Beattock route was regularly closed for reconstruction and everything was sent via the G&SWR. When engineering work was also needed around Kilmarnock, the Mauchline - Ayr line was used. No RRBs back then!

O.S. Nock's book Electric Euston to Glasgow has a couple of photos (taken at different times) of diverted Euston/Glasgow expresses in the Falkland Jn / Troon area (one train has double-headed Class 50s & early Mk2s, the other is a sleeper)

Ayrshire Roy

I think there was at one time an oil terminal at Auchincruive , assume it was for Prestwick airport . Many years ago I came across some rusty overgrown sidings here whilst plotting coal trains . Anyone confirm ?
The original oil terminal for the airport was on the Glenburn branch next to Prestwick Academy. There was no sidings with the trains just stopping on the line.
I know the terminal you mean but I'm not sure what it served.

Fannybaws

Hello. I am sorry if I am off thread. Never used your form of media before. I remember as a young BTP constable getting up in the middle of the night to standby in the extreme south side of Glasgow for a "Major Incident". We attended an exercise at what must be at the above sidings. There was a nuclear flask involved.I recall I was led by an intelligent Inspector,privately schooled, not two words associated with My world at the time. I remember our Support Unit van and our Incident Vehicle were located some distance away. I felt we had no part. It quickly became apparent. This was only a box ticking Incident for the nuclear industry. Major grief broke out about our participation even being at this railway location. We were ordered off scene by our Inspector and told to go home. This chap was so disollusioned about BTP role in Scotland he resigned and joined an English force as a Constable. True story but it was defiantly at a former fuel siding just inland from Ayr. 1985 at a very rough guess. Plenty more if anyone interested. Regards to railway enthusiasts.

Sorry me again. Forgot to say the bosses final words were. "As no one was briefed about wind direction on approach we were all dead"

Last edited:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Hello. I am sorry if I am off thread. Never used your form of media before. I remember as a young BTP constable getting up in the middle of the night to standby in the extreme south side of Glasgow for a "Major Incident". We attended an exercise at what must be at the above sidings. There was a nuclear flask involved.I recall I was led by an intelligent Inspector,privately schooled, not two words associated with My world at the time. I remember our Support Unit van and our Incident Vehicle were located some distance away. I felt we had no part. It quickly became apparent. This was only a box ticking Incident for the nuclear industry. Major grief broke out about our participation even being at this railway location. We were ordered off scene by our Inspector and told to go home. This chap was so disollusioned about BTP role in Scotland he resigned and joined an English force as a Constable. True story but it was defiantly at a former fuel siding just inland from Ayr. 1985 at a very rough guess. Plenty more if anyone interested. Regards to railway enthusiasts.

Sorry me again. Forgot to say the bosses final words were. "As no one was briefed about wind direction on approach we were all dead"
Great first post. Welcome to the Forums.

Fannybaws

Kind words from the Doctor.Thanks.
Another anecdote about this line. I remember early 70's plane spotting at Prestwick. At the extreme end of the spectators terrace(remember them?" You could closely watch the Ayr line too!
Believe it or not there was a summer Saturday Newcastle to Largs service. Usually class 27 hauled but rarely a class 31 was known to appear,from memory.
Travelling down from Glasgow was on a Swindon Dmu if flush. Far cheaper was a Western SMT double decker from Anderson bus station. One of these with side passage upstairs and four seater benches. Happy days.

Southsider

Far cheaper was a Western SMT double decker from Anderson bus station. One of these with side passage upstairs and four seater benches. Happy days.
I always thought they were an odd design, very difficult to get out from the window seat. I have vague memories of boarding them at Waterloo Street bus station before Anderston was built.

Dryce

I always thought they were an odd design, very difficult to get out from the window seat. I have vague memories of boarding them at Waterloo Street bus station before Anderston was built.

They were designed for lower height clearance - the side gangway upstairs was recessed into the side of the lower deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.