• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

B17 ‘Footballer’ class names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

On Moderation
@61653 HTAFC

I recognise your sig as being from a steam locomotive named Huddersfield Town FC. I'm wondering, was there ever a loco named after my team Preston North End?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
@61653 HTAFC

I recognise your sig as being from a steam locomotive named Huddersfield Town FC. I'm wondering, was there ever a loco named after my team Preston North End?
Unfortunately not... as the "Footballers" (B-17s) were LNER locomotives, most of the football names were clubs from the LNER (or Midland) areas. The only exceptions were, rather predictably: Everton; Liverpool; and both Manchester clubs.

Karl

On Moderation
I’m afraid that your team lost out on that score...

Unfortunately not... as the "Footballers" (B-17s) were LNER locomotives, most of the football names were clubs from the LNER (or Midland) areas. The only exceptions were, rather predictably: Everton; Liverpool; and both Manchester clubs.

Thanks chaps!

I suppose I'll have to make do with this from 1985...

KJ29_015 by Karl Johnson, on Flickr

KJ29_014 by Karl Johnson, on Flickr

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The story of how 61652 came to be named Darlington is a bit of fun

The word is the works people at Darlo decided, rightly, their club deserved to be represented rather than the proposed Sheffield Wednesday ( Or Manchester City as some say) so made their own plates, changed them over and sent the loco into service. There must be some credence to this story as the other "footballers" are named after much larger and successful teams.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/s...meplate-suggestions-skullduggery-surrounding/

Last edited:

Karl

On Moderation
I love it!! Great work from the lads at the works. :)

There's a similar story around 'Preston Guild' being named too. When the class 86's were assigned names in the early 1980's, 86212 was originally to be named 'City of Preston'. Embarrassingly Preston was not a city at the time and the powers that be had to cover their error and came up with their excuse and got away with 'Preston Guild'. Phew!

"Once every Preston Guild" as they say ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Here is the name plate in question:

Darlington V York City 28/01/12 by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

It was on display at the football club for many years but when we went into administration in 2004 it was sold to America.

The linked article above has some interesting comments on other "footballer" nameplates relating to Newcastle and Sunderland

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The two nameplates from no.61653 are in the main entrance to the Town ground; and in the council's museum in Ravensknowle Park, Huddersfield.

Karl

On Moderation

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve moved this interesting discussion into the History section to keep the football discussion free for, well not much at the moment unfortunately...

jimm

Established Member

The LNER was the majority owner of the Cheshire Lines Committee (two-thirds to the LMS's one third), whose services linked Manchester and Liverpool, so a perfectly good connection there to justify those clubs being chosen, I would suggest.

LMS 4F

I am sure that the names on various classes of steam Locos has helped me over the years with both crosswords and quizzes. I'm thinking of the B1s, Jubilees and the GWR names. So much better than a lot of the banal stuff used by later BR and since. Top of the Pops on an HST was as bad as any I recall.
However I liked naming of several 47s after heroic railway staff.

Trackman

Established Member
I love it!! Great work from the lads at the works. :)

There's a similar story around 'Preston Guild' being named too. When the class 86's were assigned names in the early 1980's, 86212 was originally to be named 'City of Preston'. Embarrassingly Preston was not a city at the time and the powers that be had to cover their error and came up with their excuse and got away with 'Preston Guild'. Phew!

"Once every Preston Guild" as they say ;)

It was originally designated a completely different name (I think it was Hardwicke), that was transferred to another 86. Some bright spark (!) decided to change it to City Of Preston. So nameplate ordered and they contacted Preston council about a naming ceremony, they wrote back and said, err.. hang on a minute..

Going back to the B-17s a Football club has a nameplate above the tunnel entrance, I cant think which club it is!

Taunton

Established Member
There was an article around 1960 in the Railway Magazine (I think) when the B17s were being withdrawn, stating that all the football nameplates, both sides, were given to the respective teams. I wonder how many are left. It was only the later members of the class (and notably no teams from Scotland), the earlier locos had stately home names, again from LNER territory, including Halls and Castles, which Some Other Railway really had the corner on.

However I liked naming of several 47s after heroic railway staff.
Indeed. The LNWR named some 1920 express locos after members of the LNWR staff who were awarded VCs in World War 1 (I think there were four of them).

Last edited:

Merle Haggard

Established Member
It was originally designated a completely different name (I think it was Hardwicke), that was transferred to another 86. Some bright spark (!) decided to change it to City Of Preston. So nameplate ordered and they contacted Preston council about a naming ceremony, they wrote back and said, err.. hang on a minute..

Another 86 was named after a town that doesn't have city status. But they like to kid you they do...

gg1

Established Member
A handful of 66s are/were named after football teams too:
66725 Sunderland
66726 Sheffield Wednesday
66729 Derby County
66735 Peterborough United
66736 Wolverhampton Wanderers
66738 Huddersfield Town

And of course there's also 50046 ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Arghhhhh!! I did my best to recall the name from memory. Unfortunately I had to resort to Google. You got me there!!!

1-0 to @gg1 :)
He’s wrong though. It was clearly a toss up between naming it Ajax or Jif...

70014IronDuke

Established Member
The story of how 61652 came to be named Darlington is a bit of fun

The word is the works people at Darlo decided, rightly, their club deserved to be represented rather than the proposed Sheffield Wednesday ( Or Manchester City as some say) so made their own plates, changed them over and sent the loco into service. There must be some credence to this story as the other "footballers" are named after much larger and successful teams.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/s...meplate-suggestions-skullduggery-surrounding/

Ha ha! That is funny.
Mind you, typical of unsporting Quakers not to do the same for Hartlepool United :)

Merle Haggard

Established Member
The B17s were more usually known as 'Sandringhams' after the first of the class. Only a minority was named after football clubs and the majority was named after stately homes in the LNER's area (not just East Anglia). One of the names later used for a football club ('Norwich City') replaced the original name 'Rendelsham Hall'. There were two interesting things about this first name; firstly, the hall's name was correctly 'Rendlesham' and, secondly, after sale by Baron Rendlesham in 1920, it had become a high class nursing home for alcoholics and drug addicts.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Sunderland AFC has one nameplate up somewhere at the Stadium of Light ... is it in one of the bars? Or at the beginning of the tunnel?

Trackman

Established Member
Sunderland AFC has one nameplate up somewhere at the Stadium of Light ... is it in one of the bars? Or at the beginning of the tunnel?
Ah, that must be the one I’m thinking about above the tunnel

edit: can’t see it on google images

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Ah, that must be the one I’m thinking about above the tunnel

edit: can’t see it on google images

No, it's not on the pitch side of the tunnel. That's Norwich - as posted by someone up thread.

<Looks> Er, no. Maybe it's in the old thread?

Somebody wrote that, because I was going to - but he/she beat me to it. At Sunderland, if it's over the tunnel, it's on the dressing room side. But I've got an idea it's in one of he bars. I've definitely seen it, but I suspect 97% of fans, home or away, have no idea what the plate is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.