• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Baby boy born at Waterloo station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adlington

Evelyn Brandao was travelling into the busy station on 16 October when she approached a train guard to say she was about to have her son.
BBC report

Apparently this is the first baby born at Waterloo. Were there any previous cases of folks being born at railway (or underground, or even bus) stations? John Worthing, who was found, not born, at Victoria station, doesn't count :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
There's been a press release about it on the NR site for a day or two:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds/first-baby-born-at-waterloo-station/

A bit of history has been made at London Waterloo with what is thought to be the first ever baby, a boy named Reign, born at the station.

Evelyn Brandao, who was pregnant and with her family, was traveling into London Waterloo from Woking on 16 October this year.

Five minutes before she pulled into the station, at 3.45pm, she told a train guard she was about to have her baby.

The guard immediately called the station control team who sent staff to meet her at platform 13 and phoned for an ambulance.

However, the baby did not wait and at 4.10pm, as Evelyn was taken into the first aid room, baby Reign was born, weighing 6lbs and 8oz....

It made me think about the Brighton Line too.

Lady Bracknell said:
A Handbag ?![/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Harbouring

I was there that day and at that time. It was the day of the weird orange sky due to the Saharan dust. It’s amazing that it hasn’t happened in the 150 years its been there, there must have been some cases of breaking waters on trains and round to St Thomas sharpish when arrived

LWB

Off topic but ........ I had to help my wife deliver our second child IN A HOSPITAL DELIVERY SUITE because the staff were so crap.
Also I had to help a teenage girl give birth when a group of girls came running out of the girl's loo saying "Sir, Siobahn's having a baby!" (I was a school teacher at the time). The former was good preparation for the latter as it turned out!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Off topic but ........ I had to help my wife deliver our second child IN A HOSPITAL DELIVERY SUITE because the staff were so crap.
Also I had to help a teenage girl give birth when a group of girls came running out of the girl's loo saying "Sir, Siobahn's having a baby!" (I was a school teacher at the time). The former was good preparation for the latter as it turned out!

Outstanding LWB.
I’d like to mention my widwifery credentials here. I delivered my 2nd child (my son) at home due to the midwife not getting to our house quickly enough.
Bit of a life changing experience that one...
I would definitely give that lad Waterloo for a middle name though (I’d say first but people might call him Warty). :D

Domh245

Established Member
The most subtle way of acknowledging where this boy was born would be to have Arthur (or indeed Napoleon) as names. Not glaringly obvious, but there is some logic behind it

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Ah we didn't have any of that sort of thing in my secondary school -

There weren't any girls !

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Were there any previous cases of folks being born at railway (or underground, or even bus) stations?
There was a baby born at Highbury/Islington station in February of this year, and I heard of another story, I think possibly from this year where people were driving past a station on way to a hospital but couldn’t get to the hospital in time so the baby was born in the station.

This 2009 article says that it was the third baby born on the Underground http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8072294.stm

There are a number of other stories like Jerry Springer but I also read that the story was highly doubtful and contains inconsistencies. As well as the regular repeat of the story about the baby born that had the initials T U B E which appears on those “Facts” websites which also appears to be an urban legend.

ian1944

Namewise, just as well the birth wasn't at Llanfairpwll... It reminds me of a neighbour called Douglas when I was young, his father said that he'd been born there on an IOM holiday, the old chap failing to see the point when my dad said that it was a good thing that he hadn't been born in Oswaldtwistle.

MrGrumpy

A few years back a baby girl was born, rather suddenly, on board a train at Otford in the middle of the evening rush hour. Probably one of the most unusual reasons for delaying a train on my shift. The 466 she was born on has been unofficially named 'Phoebe'.

Status
Not open for further replies.