• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bache to Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

plannerman

Hi

I'm due to travel from Bache to Crewe on Thursday, aiming to arrive Crewe around 1430 and leaving around 1830. Am I right in thinking that a return from Bache to Shrewsbury is valid via Crewe?
If that is the case, and the Bache-Shrewsbury return is cheaper, can I break my outward and return journeys, thus allowing me to use the ticket to get out of the station at Crewe?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Assuming the ticket is valid (I don't have time to check the routeing guide right now) then both the Anytime Day and Off-Peak Day Returns allow break of journey in both directions.

plannerman

Wow, that was quick - thanks fellas!

It seems odd that Bache-Shrewsbury is cheaper (ok, only by a quid or so) than Bache-Crewe, when it's probably twice the distance. It looks like i'll be 'breaking my journey' then

Polarbear

Established Member
Chester to Crewe fares have been higher than the norm for some years as it appears to be regarded as a peak flow.

Certainly, it's good business for the conductors on ATW services as the number of tickets sold on board between these two stations is quite astonishing (considering that both stations are fully staffed & provide the opportunity to buy tickets).:|

This in turn has created anomalies such as the Chester (and Bache) to Shrewsbury tickets being cheaper than Chester to Crewe. That said, the gap used to be wider as I note the Chester - Shrewsbury fare has also shot up over the last year or so.

And yes, Chester - Shrewsbury is valid via Crewe, though for many years, conductors discouraged use of such tickets via Crewe, the routeing guide confirms this as a valid route.:D

All Line Rover

Established Member
And yes, Chester - Shrewsbury is valid via Crewe, though for many years, conductors discouraged use of such tickets via Crewe, the routeing guide confirms this as a valid route.:D

Excuse me, but NRE quite rightly points out that half the time it is quicker (and valid) to travel via Crewe (being a perfectly reasonable route), so any conductor who says otherwise should be told to keep their mouth shut! :roll:

Not once have I had a problem travelling from Shrewsbury to Chester via Crewe.

Polarbear

Established Member
To be fair, I'm referring to many years ago (early 1980's & BR days) & the rules may well have been different then? You did get some comments to the tune of "that's not valid this way" from the conductors in those days if you went via Crewe between Chester & Shrewsbury.

To add some context, in those days, the faster route would normally have been via Wrexham given there were so few trains on the Crewe-Cardiff route in BR days (about 6-8 per day with a few Crewe-Shrewsbury locals as well).

Things started to change from when we had the one through service between Cardiff & Holyhead provided by BR initially, then the Wales & Borders franchise. Of course, the through train would be valid with such a ticket under the routing rules!

Certainly, I've had no problems in the last 10 years going via Crewe, but 30 years ago was definitely a different matter.:roll:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Chester to Crewe fares have been higher than the norm for some years as it appears to be regarded as a peak flow.

Certainly, it's good business for the conductors on ATW services as the number of tickets sold on board between these two stations is quite astonishing (considering that both stations are fully staffed & provide the opportunity to buy tickets).:|

This in turn has created anomalies such as the Chester (and Bache) to Shrewsbury tickets being cheaper than Chester to Crewe. That said, the gap used to be wider as I note the Chester - Shrewsbury fare has also shot up over the last year or so.

The Chester-Crewe SDR is also more expensive than Chester-Stoke, if only by 30p.
The anomalies seem to be multiplying.
I'd like to know if fares are set by a "controlling mind" which scrutinises these things minutely (ie a deliberate plan), or by someone with a spreadsheet applying random arbitrary rules (ie happenstance).
For instance the Chester-Stoke route has XC-ONLY and VT-ONLY fares which seem rather pointless.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd like to know if fares are set by a "controlling mind" which scrutinises these things minutely (ie a deliberate plan), or by someone with a spreadsheet applying random arbitrary rules (ie happenstance).
For instance the Chester-Stoke route has XC-ONLY and VT-ONLY fares which seem rather pointless.
Fares are set by the pricing manager of the TOC that sets the flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.