• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bachmann 2014 Range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alan1310

Don't think they have announced it yet for some reason I think they announce it in June but my mind may have just made this up

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Bachmann's 2013/2014 programme was announced on 10th March 2013. It is typically an 18 month programme that is announced and so many of the models from that launch have not yet been released. Expect a 2014/2015 announcement in March 2014.

fgwrich

Established Member
Bachmann's 2013/2014 programme was announced on 10th March 2013. It is typically an 18 month programme that is announced and so many of the models from that launch have not yet been released. Expect a 2014/2015 announcement in March 2014.

As you say it's usually a 18 month programme which we usually see, however... there's been a slight change of plan for next year as the next Bachmann range (2014/2015) won't be announced next march, instead it'll be announced on during a special 25th Anniversary day held by Bachmann at their HQ in Barwell during the summer.

Last edited:

GearJammer

As you say it's usually a 18 month programme which we usually see, however... there's been a slight change of plan for next year as the next Bachmann range (2014/2015) won't be announced next march, instead it'll be announced on during a special 25th Anniversary day held by Bachmann at their HQ in Barwell during the summer.

+1, thats exactly what i was told by the owner of my local model shop.

Monty

Established Member
+1, thats exactly what i was told by the owner of my local model shop.

Yup I've heard the same too, I wonder if Bachmann will be planning something rather special. Still holding out for a S15 or a H16. ;)

Monty

Established Member
well we are hoping for an SWT 450.....

Model Rail magazine displayed an example of a SWT 450 they have commissioned Bachmann to do at the Warley show this year. So your hopes may be already answered, though being somewhat more expensive than a standard bachmann model.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
And probably more limited in number than a standard run, maybe they'll produce a 444 to go with it......

fgwrich

Established Member
Unfortunately so, Model Rail have said that in speaking to Bachmann about producing the 450 Bachmann have no intention of producing it as a main range item and will only be doing it as a commission for Model Rail. Bit of a shame really considering the amount of 450s to 350s and the widespread area across the Southern they operate. It's probably also the most wanted modern livery for any model along with the Dynamic Lines of First Great Western.

As for a 444, unfortunately no chance! One livery, one operating area (albeit almost as widespread as the 450s) and requiring 5 brand new tools to be created. That said I'd like to see a TPE 185 produced but unfortunately that's not likely to be produced (although possibly more likely at 3 cars than a 5 car 444).

But one model id certainly be pleased to see from the blue team at Barwell would be a nice and new Class 59 - More so considering Hornby seem to be doing well at ignoring the market for modern diesels again.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....But one model id certainly be pleased to see from the blue team at Barwell would be a nice and new Class 59 - More so considering Hornby seem to be doing well at ignoring the market for modern diesels again.

I think you are as likely to see a 444 from Bachmann as you are a 59. Bachmann would want to maximise return with an N gauge version and Dapol have already announced a 59 (on the plus side Dapol are venturing into OO gauge more and more).

fgwrich

Established Member
I think you are as likely to see a 444 from Bachmann as you are a 59. Bachmann would want to maximise return with an N gauge version and Dapol have already announced a 59 (on the plus side Dapol are venturing into OO gauge more and more).

True, but... im starting to wonder what's actually going on with Dapol and their 'OO' gauge models now. Since Dave Jones's departure from the company back in the summer Dapol doesn't seem to have that vigour anymore - Dave Jones pretty much became what Simon Kohler is to Hornby, a public face of the company who could interact with the customers and the company - indeed that's how the beautiful model of the Western was produced through a major mix of Laser Scanning D1015, input from the DTG and members of RMweb. But since Dapol lost Dave Jones, work seems to have slowed down and news on any Dapol products seem to be limited or next to nothing, including turning up to Warley this year with a mere 3 'N' gauge already seen pre production models. And it's been nearly 2 years since the all new Class 73s, 121s & 122s, Updated MBA/MCA/MLA wagons and Freightliner MJAs were announced and still, despite the occasional showings of a few CAD pictures we've heard nothing at all.

It's even reached breaking point between Dapol and Kernow Models.
Limited Edition News - O Gauge and OO Gauge Models from Dapol - a statement.

In our determination to provide high-quality detailed models we are constantly reviewing progress of our projects. Sometimes this can reveal that changes need to be made, most of which are invisible to our customers.

After careful consideration we have decided to manage the production of our Adams O2 and LSWR Gate Stock OO Gauge models directly with the factory in China, this being the same factory that built our award-winning OO Gauge Beattie Well Tank. We have asked Dave Jones of DJModels to oversee these projects which will continue the close working relationship we have had since we started commissioning exclusive models.

Work on the OO Gauge Tiger Clay Wagons, Bulleid Diesel locos and D6xx Warships also continues as well as other yet-to-be announced projects, all of which will be produced under a new commercial agreement of which details will be given in due course.

All existing orders for these products will be held and there is no need for customers to contact us about this change unless they have changed their phone number, email address or house address and not previously advised us.

A consequence of this decision is that Dapol no longer feel able to progress the O Gauge Beattie Well Tank project and associated clay wagons. We had been working with Dapol to find alternative ways of producing this model, but the pre-orders have been disappointingly low with fewer than 200 orders placed. This is despite a huge discount being offered to encourage and reward customers who placed a pre-order and it being made clear that the pre-order could be cancelled at any time. While we may look at this again in the future for the time being we are going to concentrate on our core OO gauge market. We have already emailed and written to all customers who still held a pre-order for the O Gauge models with details of a special offer to reward their loyalty and patience.

Even after the above changes we had around £275k of special projects remaining with Dapol and it was our intention to continue with these, but Dapol have cancelled all of these with the exception of the OO Gauge models of D1003V Western Ruler and B850ZA and B850ZB Weathered Silver Bullets which are already in production. Our exclusive Class 73s, Bubble Cars, Turbots and Class 22s have all been cancelled and we are obviously very sorry and disappointed that Dapol have chosen to do this. This unexpected act means that we have had to remove these models from our website and have not yet had chance to contact everybody who placed pre-orders but will do so as soon as possible.

We thank all our customers for their patience and understanding for bearing with us and with our new agreement in place we expect rapid progress to be made on the Gate Stock and O2 models and look forward to sharing positive news about these very soon.

Regular updates are available by subscribing to our weekly email newsletter at www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com

So, despite having announced an all new Class 68 (With the only work so far being conducted by the former Dave Jones - again), Dapol seem to have disappeared into a rather odd lul again. Im aware of the ongoing and ever increasing production problems within the Chinese manufacturing plants, the very same problems that have heavily plagued Hornby over the past two years but the way Dapol seems to have reacted is a little disappointing.

A new 59 however, could either turn up from Bachmann or Hornby - The former would be suited rather well in their range as they already have some experience of working with 'big' GMs and producing the correct wagons to match, Hornby could have considered producing one by now but seem to have kept the Lima tooling going until rather recently. That said however, there has been some talk that Hornby and Dapol have been working together in some form behind the scenes, with Hornby up scaling the Class 67 from Dapol and Dapol downscaling a few of Hornby's CAD files to produce a few models in 'N'. The outside chance could even be a all new 59 from Heljan, as the Dutch manufacturers already have a similar chassis in use under the Murphy Models class 201 (although the model isn't stated as being produced / branded by Heljan, I gather that Murphy Models has used either them or their factory for the production of that model). I think the best way to put it is... We Shall See.

(Sorry by the way if it looks like I'm having a pop at your posts hairyhandedfool, it really isnt meant to appear that way!)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....It's even reached breaking point between Dapol and Kernow Models....

I'm not so sure it was as clear cut as Kernow make out in that statement, but I guess there are three sides to every story (probably four in this case).

....(Sorry by the way if it looks like I'm having a pop at your posts hairyhandedfool, it really isnt meant to appear that way!)

Don't worry, I haven't taken any offence.

theblackwatch

Established Member
It isn't just Kernow/Dapol where there seems to have been some sort of 'issue'. There was a report in Rail Express Modeller last month which mentioned the Rail Exclusive re-tooled Class 33/0 - it stated that it will no longer be produced by Heljan following a legal battle between the two companies which went the way of Rail Exclusive.

fgwrich

Established Member
It isn't just Kernow/Dapol where there seems to have been some sort of 'issue'. There was a report in Rail Express Modeller last month which mentioned the Rail Exclusive re-tooled Class 33/0 - it stated that it will no longer be produced by Heljan following a legal battle between the two companies which went the way of Rail Exclusive.

Ah yes... that business. Interestingly, Rail Exclusive say they have another European manufacturer lined up to produce these 33/0s instead, now that they have won their legal battle over the rights to the tooling. So Heljan then goes ahead and announces an all new Class 33/0 at Warley as well, with exactly the etches and specification originally put out by Rail Exclusive. Hmm.

Browsing through my copy of Model Rail earlier though I did notice a few new in production items from Dapol in 'N' - which then raises the question of are Dapols new management now refocusing their business more back in the direction of their 'N' gauge market again and relinquishing stretching upwards into 'OO' and 'O'?

Class377/5

Established Member
The fact that Bachmann don't think its worth doing a 450 despite the massive interest. Doesn't bode well for an Electrostar which I'd really want to buy. Then again I am the crazy one who brought four of the 350's.

Untitled by Sparkyscrum, on Flickr

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The fact that Bachmann don't think its worth doing a 450 despite the massive interest. Doesn't bode well for an Electrostar which I'd really want to buy. Then again I am the crazy one who brought four of the 350's.

Strangely enough I just bought two of the N gauge versions today (a steal at nearly half the RRP), but I think Bachmann were looking for a unit that would provide options if successful, but perhaps not a unit that would actually be successful (to 'prove' there is no market for modern EMUs, etc, etc).

If I really wanted to embark on making 'modern' EMUs, the 350 would not have been where I would have started.

GearJammer

Strangely enough I just bought two of the N gauge versions today (a steal at nearly half the RRP), but I think Bachmann were looking for a unit that would provide options if successful, but perhaps not a unit that would actually be successful (to 'prove' there is no market for modern EMUs, etc, etc).

If I really wanted to embark on making 'modern' EMUs, the 350 would not have been where I would have started.

Agreed, the 350 does seem an odd choice, i think the 442 (yes i know we could argue about how 'modern' that is) is the one i would have gone for, im sure that would have been popular.

Class377/5

Established Member

What surprises me is the word the unit didn't sell well yet initially they sold out of the first batch.

Perhaps its more to do with a manufacture prepared to assist in a model than anything.

I would like Bachmann to make a MkIII EMU like the Class 317/318/319/320/321/322. As they could make a standardised tooling that could make all variants with changeable "plates" for the different models :). I would certainly buy the Class 319 and 321 models for sure.

Uzair

I would really love to see some modern image rolling stock from Bachmann this year. Hornby just continues to disappoint me, so I expect nothing from them. I personally think Bachmann have been better with the modern day trains anyway.

I don't understand the hesitation in making a 450. It's not something silly like they're put off by the SWT curves is it? They're almost exactly the same as the 350s...

Electrostar

377/5: I love that line up of 350s. I too wish Bachmann would produce the 450. Electrostars (375, 376, 377 and 378) wouldn't go a miss either!

Class377/5

Established Member
377/5: I love that line up of 350s. I too wish Bachmann would produce the 450. Electrostars (375, 376, 377 and 378) wouldn't go a miss either!

Thanks. Plan on getting the 450 from Model rail when they launch it. An Electrostar model would be great too.

Tacker52

Wonder if there will be any news about there new controller. Now the dynamis is no more

oldrailman

Just found this thread. For the first time in years I'm in the happy position to afford a small collection of OO loco models. Tried over the years to get a layout off the ground but never managed it so consoled myself with a few of my favourite locos. They're all Bachmann as I was so impressed by their quality.

Blue Class 40 40145
Prototype Deltic
Deltic D9000 in two-tone green
'Royal' Class 47 47798 Prince William.
After the York A4 Gathering, also treated myself to Corgi models of all 6 from the gathering. Also quality products.
The list may grow in the future, I'll see how things go.
Mal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.