• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bachmann/Farish Spring 2021 Product Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member

And the products in list form;

I'm liking the look of the experimental green Jubilee. I'm slightly irritated that they've released a sound fitted version of their new DRS 20, when I've ordered a DCC fitted version, thinking they weren't doing a sound version, but oh well. I think the new buffers are possibly some of the best I've seen though.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
The last item on that list (at least, in the order it showed for me!) is Underground 38 stock. I imagine lots will be sold to people modelling the Isle of Wight.
Having had a quick look, that seems to be the same '38 stock they announced some time last year, and I expect it's just been carried over to the 2021 range. But yes, I expect that lots will go to those modelling parts of the Isle of Wight - just a shame that they're not making a SWT/SWR Island Line version!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve very much got my eye on a Farish 101 DMU with sound for my birthday in May.
Perfect for my layout and a complete train in one of course...

Gloster

Established Member
If you watch the video you may wonder how to spell the words Parrot and Panels. Bachman have a couple of variations in the captions to the catalogue photos of a couple of the new products.

Peter C

Established Member
I've had a bit more of a proper look at the announcements today and there are a few items which I thought were quite interesting. I echo @Iskra in saying the Jubilee in experimental green looks very interesting - and I can say from experience that they are very detailed models. The Class 66 (namely 66779 in this case) also looks very nice, and definitely one I'm going to look out for to perhaps join my Hornby 66.
I also notice there's another 94xx on offer: this time, 9405 with light weathering. I think it looks quite nice in that condition, and I think the weathering is done to just the level where it would work on either a heritage line or a historical layout. I often think weathering makes models look far too dirty to go on heritage lines, and a bit too clean for service on the 'proper railway'.
The Class 45 looks really interesting as well, along with the new Class 20. Having had a look at D8015, which they're offering in BR Green, it looks to be a very nice model with quite a bit of detail. I expect a lot of those will be bought up by people wanting to model various RHTT services and those wanting to repaint them into other liveries.

-Peter

AM9

Veteran Member
Having had a quick look, that seems to be the same '38 stock they announced some time last year, and I expect it's just been carried over to the 2021 range. But yes, I expect that lots will go to those modelling parts of the Isle of Wight - just a shame that they're not making a SWT/SWR Island Line version!

-Peter
Reading your comment abouth this year's releases vs last year's, are models now in the realms of intentional limited editions? I thought that the cost of tooling was so high that once the factory was kitted up, they kept the tooling for as long at it was worth running the odd batch to restock from.

Peter C

Established Member
Reading your comment abouth this year's releases vs last year's, are models now in the realms of intentional limited editions? I thought that the cost of tooling was so high that once the factory was kitted up, they kept the tooling for as long at it was worth running the odd batch to restock from.
Definitely. Model manufacturers will very often make a model production run intentionally short so that they can sell more of said model or so they are more collectable. Bachmann definitely like to introduce products, keep them for a year or two, then take them out of the range for a few years, and then reintroduce it, proving they have the toolings. Hornby, somewhat famously within the model railway world, binned a whole load of old toolings around five or six years ago IIRC because the management didn't see the point in keeping them; something the current management is not very happy about, proving toolings are disposable from a financial viewpoint, but maybe not from a future-proofing viewpoint.

I hope that made some sort of sense and that what I said was somewhat correct!

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
I’ve very much got my eye on a Farish 101 DMU with sound for my birthday in May.
Perfect for my layout and a complete train in one of course...
The 101 is a classic, I think it will look excellent on Lapford :)

I've had a bit more of a proper look at the announcements today and there are a few items which I thought were quite interesting. I echo @Iskra in saying the Jubilee in experimental green looks very interesting - and I can say from experience that they are very detailed models. The Class 66 (namely 66779 in this case) also looks very nice, and definitely one I'm going to look out for to perhaps join my Hornby 66.
I also notice there's another 94xx on offer: this time, 9405 with light weathering. I think it looks quite nice in that condition, and I think the weathering is done to just the level where it would work on either a heritage line or a historical layout. I often think weathering makes models look far too dirty to go on heritage lines, and a bit too clean for service on the 'proper railway'.
The Class 45 looks really interesting as well, along with the new Class 20. Having had a look at D8015, which they're offering in BR Green, it looks to be a very nice model with quite a bit of detail. I expect a lot of those will be bought up by people wanting to model various RHTT services and those wanting to repaint them into other liveries.

-Peter
I agree about the weathering on the 94xx, I think it's a real step-change in the quality of weathering for RTR models.

Status
Not open for further replies.