• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back comes Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

...Hopefully.

Today is the painstakingly dangerous part of Discoverys Mission, if any insulation it'll heat upto 1500 Celcius and burn up like hell! My hopes are for it to land, my favourite of the Shuttles.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
Has it landed now, last i heard it was 'delayed' waiting a weather pattern and this was lunch time

Tom B

Established Member
AFAIK it's delayed until tomorrow due to bad weather.

tramboy

Discovery is still up there, going round!

There are of course many landing strips it could land on around the world, with a full three in America (Cape Can, Edwards and one in New Mexico.) The chances of cloud cover at all three are a little slim IMO...i think NASA want it to land at the one that most people associate with the space programme so that "return to flight 1" (STS-114) is seen as a success (even if it does show that shuttles still have problems.)

Regards

Dave

T

Tom

It must land in America or they have troubles moving it around (and of course the odd problem with immigration! ;))

Gareth Hale

It has three bases in the USA to land in, cannot remember the names of them as the Weather Channel is very brief on this type of stuff 8)

T

Tom

The Weather Channel, hahahahahaha!

It's the base in California (Fort ?????????), New Mexico, or Kennedy Space Center.

tramboy

• Edwards Air Force Base, California
  • White Sands Base, New Mexico
  • Cape Canaveral, JFK Space Center

NB I used the american spelling becuase it is an american centre, not because i can't spell!!!

Regards

Dave

T

Tom

The plane they said that took off I have seen while I went on my trip to Cape Canaveral a while back.

tramboy

NASA have pushed back the landing again today to the later slot of nearly midday our time...there's more cloud over Cape Canaveral again.

Still don't know why they won't use Edwards, where the forecast is clear all day...i suppose it might be a problem to get the shuttle back across the country to Florida for the next time.

Regards

Dave

tramboy

Confirmed...attempt at landing will be Edwards Air Force Base, California at 1312 BST (0812 EST).

Then, NASA will spend $1million on getting Discovery back to the Cape by 747 carrier (taking one week to load it onto the 747 once landed.)

Regards

Dave

T

Tom

It's quite interesting the machine that they use for coupling the machines up.

It's called a (de)mate device.

tramboy

Latest:

Discovery on course, 11.5mins to go. On the 3rd of 4 banks to slow it down and is within range of ground tracking radar, doing mach 9 (6100mph) at 155,000feet

Regards

Dave

T

Tom

5 minutes to landing, approaching Mach 1, big boom will sound shortly.

tramboy

"Flying brick"...manual control now with the shuttle commander, 30000ft, banking right 196 degree turn.

tramboy

Touchdown at Edwards...parachute deployed

Discovery is Home

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.