• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back in the day...passing through Stockport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPreston_Tez

When I used to go to Weymouth only changing at Bournemouth, one of my trains ran non-stop to Manchester Piccadilly, then through Stockport but non-stop, up to Macclesfield where I don't know the route from there. This was a few years back, can anyone help me piece together the route?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Same as now, Manchester Picc-Macclesfield-Stoke-Birmingham New St-Coventry OR Solihull-Leamington Spa-Reading-Winchester-Southampton Central-Bournemouth.

VTPreston_Tez

You missed out Southampton Airport and Brockenhurst; it didn't serve Birmingham as far as I can recall too...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I gave a general route, not calling pattern. I missed out a few stations! ;)

It didn't serve Birmingham? :|

MCR247

Established Member
He wasn't naming all stops he was giving an idea of the route.

VTPreston_Tez

Oh right thanks Matt :D
I don't recall Birmingham, but Coventry, Banbury and possibly Tamworth (explains it). Reading was there too.

neilmc

They missed out the Stockport stop for a while, daft as the train has to slow to a crawl anyway and even the London trains always stop there.

In the end they realised how much Stockport is used as a railhead for South Manchester people who want to drive up to a station easily and they reinstated the stop - they being Cross Country.

Did that journey from Stockport to Basingstoke a couple of weeks ago - quite a long haul.

VTPreston_Tez

It ran quite fast through Stockport actually. I may have been like 4, but it was at least 60-80mph. Lucky day I guess!

Welshman

Established Member
I think it would have been a very unlucky day if you went through Stockport at 80mph!

VTPreston_Tez

Sums up why it took like 2/3 hours when it should take like 4, then it skips Birmingham and serves Tamworth instead...:D

Crossover

Established Member
It ran quite fast through Stockport actually. I may have been like 4, but it was at least 60-80mph. Lucky day I guess!

I think it would have been a very unlucky day if you went through Stockport at 80mph!

:lol:

I have run through Stockport on a non stop service towards Manchester and can say it may as well have stopped! I bet we didn't do more than 15-20mph through the platform we would have called at anyway!

323Matt

I seem to recall there being some kind of unwritten 'rule' with the building of the viaduct that any train crossing it had to stop at Stockport but I may be wrong. I have seen an XC Voyager going through non-stop on a Piccadilly - Cardiff Central service at no more than 20mph.

Darandio

Established Member
Isn't the speed limit something like 25 on the up and down fast through Stockport anyway?

Crossover

Established Member
I seem to recall there being some kind of unwritten 'rule' with the building of the viaduct that any train crossing it had to stop at Stockport but I may be wrong. I have seen an XC Voyager going through non-stop on a Piccadilly - Cardiff Central service at no more than 20mph.

I believe that is a myth from what I have heard

pemma

Veteran Member
For around 12 months XC removed the Stockport call from half of their services to/from Manchester. All XC services from Manchester serve Birmingham but it's possible the service in question was diverted due to engineering works. The Stockport calls have since been reinstated.

The requirement for trains using the Mersey viaduct to stop at Stockport was believed to be a strict requirement but it turned out to be a gentleman's agreement when it was checked out.

jizzer

The speed through stockport on the up fast is 35mph. On the down fast it is 40 and then drops to 25 at the end of the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.