• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmersears

Established Member
I certainly wouldn't enjoy commuting out of there every day. Just seemed like one big scrummage every time a train arrived, particularly when it came to the local stoppers.

Yeah I've been following 246s progress (I think a lot of spotters are waiting for it) but someone on here got my hopes up by saying 'their mate had seen it recently' but it would appear not. I assume that as this seems to be an ongoing concern for LNWR that it will be back or is it a case that it's been out for so long as LNWR aren't that bothered because the 350/2s are going at some point anyway?
It's wheel flat season so there's a fair amount of jostling goes on. Northern's hands are tied to an extent, they only have a finite amount of stock to run across on hell of a geographical area, but their maintenance regime is crap which really doesn't help them.

350246 will be out again eventually, it's too valuable an asset for the ROSCO to just scrap. Trip to London via Northampton would snaffle it if you were to go that way in the near future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Far north 37

Established Member
It's wheel flat season so there's a fair amount of jostling goes on. Northern's hands are tied to an extent, they only have a finite amount of stock to run across on hell of a geographical area, but their maintenance regime is crap which really doesn't help them.

350246 will be out again eventually, it's too valuable an asset for the ROSCO to just scrap. Trip to London via Northampton would snaffle it if you were to go that way in the near future.
I would imagine it would have to be returned to full working order before its handed back to the leasing company.

The_Train

Established Member
Thursday 1st November - A venture into the Northern Powerhouse

Part 2 - Chasing a Chopper

We departed Manchester bang on time at 0919 and I quickly settled into my new surroundings. I must admit that I was immediately impressed with the 185s - comfy seats, plenty of leg room and a light airy carriage made for a comfortable trip. We only got as far as Stockport before I was back into the mix as 319368 was sat waiting to complete it's journey into Piccadilly and then it was off towards the Hope Valley where just outside Stockport station we seemed to pass a milk float graveyard which was a new thing for me. Woodsmoor threw up another 150 unit, unfortunately it was 153 which had been noted at Piccadilly earlier and my focus was then on Earles Sidings but not before enjoying some absolutely gorgeous scenery which got better and better with every chain we travelled. An even nicer sight greeted me at Earles as there was a batch of 3x FLR sheds parked up and thanks to @TimboM on the TOPS thread I was able to chalk each of them off as 66615, 66418 and 66619 all went into the book. We then found ourselves delayed at Dore and Totley - we had caught up the preceding Northern service (my other option for heading to Sheffield) which was now delayed - and I lost my focus for a split second just turning my head to see a HST powering past us. I was able to log the rear power car as 43321 and thanks to the help of @433N I've now found out that the power car I missed the number on was indeed winner 43384 so that leaves me hunting just 2x 170s and 2x hst power cars to complete the XC fleet. We eventually got moving again and soon arrived into Sheffield 15 down so I left the units to continue their journey to sunny Cleethorpes where they eventually arrived 15 down but that was not my concern now, it was all about what Sheffield could throw at me.

I headed across to platform 6 to get my spot in readiness for the 20s which were showing on RTT as running slightly early but as they were still a distance from the steel city, I turned my focus elsewhere and quickly noted another EMT unit in the form of 222013 which was waiting to head out ECS to complete a reverse into platform 8. More pacer action as well as 144019 headed into the bays along with 158904 before we also got to see more EMT 158 action with 158863. The Northern units kept on rolling with 142095 next into the book and then 158860 arrived from Bridlington before 142079 made it a good 5 minute spell. It didn't stop there either and despite dud Voyager 221129 passing by on route to the South West 158901 kept the book busy. A pair of dud 144 pacers tried to dampen my spirits but that wasn't happening and TPE got the winners rolling again as yet another 185 went into the book, this time 110 doing the honours and a quick check on RTT showed that the choppers were now being held just outside the station. By now I wasn't the only person waiting for them but there was another freight train held just ahead of them and soon enough GBRf 66701 was heading through P6 with a rake of hoppers working towards Bardon Hill
GBRf Class 66 66701 heads through Sheffield by The_Train

Once this had been cleared back on its way, we knew the 20s would be given the nod to head into the station but before this there was still time for 144001 to be ticked off and even though next up was dud 185104 it didn't really matter as we could hear that gorgeous noise made by the choppers as 20205 and 20007 made their way into the through lines with their latest RHTT working now complete
20205 working RHTT at Sheffield by The_Train
Another shot of 20205 arriving into Sheffield by The_Train
20007 at Sheffield by The_Train

It was time to head across the bridge to platform 5 as there were a pair of EMT 222s in platform 2 that needed identifying. It was a worthwhile venture as 222022 and 222023 both went into the book to take my requirement for this class down to just 6. 158845 was next in as it left working a late running service to Leeds which I could have got on had it not disappeared off the departure screens when I checked. Never mind it would give me a chance to watch the 20s leave and it also gave me the opportunity to chat with another Staffordshire based guy who was out hunting pacers, wanting to photograph as many as he could knowing their time is nearing the end. That is a commitment to a unit that divides opinion wherever it goes. He didn't have to wait long for the next one as 144002 arrived into the bays before dud 144013 arrived into platform 5 where it terminated and showed no sign of moving which was concerning considering my Leeds unit was supposed to depart from this very platform. Having had a 20 minute break, the 20s got their clearance to depart towards Hull and that lovely beating sound they make whilst idling left us behind but nonetheless here is one more photo for you all
More Chopper action as 20007 awaits departure from Sheffield by The_Train

Whilst waiting for my next service towards Leeds I was able to nab 158905 and now that I'd changed position I was able to see the Sheffield trams working and thanks to them having numbers high up was able to log 107.......well why not eh? :E I'd enjoyed a 100% shed success so far today but FLR 66508 ended that particular run as it worked cement hoppers through towards the Hope Valley having originated in Dewsbury. Still no sign of my haulage to Leeds so this gave me time to log a couple of dud 158s and also to nab a couple more of the trams as 105 and 117 went past and then finally 158792 finally pulled into the 'B' part of platform 5 as the pesky Pacer was still sat further along the platform and I had my haulage to Leeds. I bid farewell to the guys I'd been chatting to and jumped aboard a fairly sparse carriage where I was able to nab a table seat. Before departure a couple of dud 144s were noted before we finally got underway 13 minutes later than planned.

So my short stint at Sheffield was complete and my target of seeing the 20s was well and truly achieved and with another 28 winners in the book since leaving Manchester, I was now sat at a healthy 84 winners for the day so far so feeling content I settled in for the journey up to Leeds where we will take up the story in part 3 as I need to get some house work done now (living the dream is not easy is it?)

Last edited:

433N

Nice.

I spent many hours as a lad watching Peaks on Sheffield station, it seems to have changed and I really need to go back to see it ... used to be a bit grim although you could get a chip butty in the BR cafe which was how cafes should be. Didn't really used to get 20s through though (LOL) ; you'd have had to go to Tinsley for that kind of action.

43321 was paired with 43384 on (26/10) ... I sawed them ... don't know if that helps.

Skymonster

Established Member
a milk float graveyard
www.milkfloatforums.co.uk could be the place to go to then...
and now that I'd changed position I was able to see the Sheffield trams working and thanks to them having numbers high up was able to log 107..
Trams as well - I'm proud of you! ;)

Good to see you got the rarer pair of Choppers - the three DRS machines are all broken again at the moment I believe.

So 83 already with the main event still to come. If you didn't come out of the day with close on 150 I'd be surprised now. I guess we're going to have to wait for the next installments...

The_Train

Established Member
Nice.

I spent many hours as a lad watching Peaks on Sheffield station, it seems to have changed and I really need to go back to see it ... used to be a bit grim although you could get a chip butty in the BR cafe which was how cafes should be. Didn't really used to get 20s through though (LOL) ; you'd have had to go to Tinsley for that kind of action.

43321 was paired with 43384 on (26/10) ... I sawed them ... don't know if that helps.

I quite like Sheffield station, it's certainly no longer a grim place. I've still to sample the tap on platform 1 though.

If there has been no sudden changes to that HST pairing it would help a LOT. I will see if I can get someone with inside knowledge to confirm this on the TOPS thread

The_Train

Established Member
www.milkfloatforums.co.uk could be the place to go to then...

As that website won't load, I assume you are extracting the urine there? I really hope you are anyway o_O

Trams as well - I'm proud of you! ;)

Good to see you got the rarer pair of Choppers - the three DRS machines are all broken again at the moment I believe.

So 83 already with the main event still to come. If you didn't come out of the day with close on 150 I'd be surprised now. I guess we're going to have to wait for the next installments...

Would be rude not to log the trams ;)

I enjoyed seeing the 20s even though they were pretty filthy. There is just something about the noises they make. Are the DRS ones kept at Gresty Bridge?

The next installment may come later today once the days sport has finished. I know you are all on tenterhooks so I don't want to deprive you ;)

Established Member
Another good read Mr Train and you've nabbed other of my lasts, 222013 is my last Meridian needed for sight.
Been a good while since I last saw a pair of 20s in action. Trying to cast my mind back,.as to when.
Seeming a very product trip so far.

Skymonster

Established Member
As that website won't load, I assume you are extracting the urine there? I really hope you are anyway o_O
Yeah, just a jokey play on railforums.co.uk...
Are the DRS ones kept at Gresty Bridge?
The three working DRS Choppers have been based out of York but if they have wheel flats again - like last time they broke - they may now be over at Doncaster Roberts Road for tyre turning. Once the RHTT season is over they will undoubtedly return to storage at Barrow Hill, keeping the other five company.
The next installment may come later today once the days sport has finished.
Never mind grown men kicking - or throwing - leather bags full of air around a grass field. Your audience is eager to learn more...

palmersears

Established Member
A small point of order if I may, Train, it's Woodsmoor, not Woodlesford. Please don't sully the good names of our villages with rubbish from the wrong side of the Pennines.

Good stuff otherwise, I still need them MO choppers so I hope they're still going in a couple of weeks when I have chance to get to Sheffield to grab them.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Another productive few hours for your book of sights :)

I must really purchase more shares in pen manufacturers ;)

Skymonster

Established Member
I still need them MO choppers so I hope they're still going in a couple of weeks when I have chance to get to Sheffield to grab them.
The two MOLO and two of the three XHNC Choppers (excluding 20302) moved from York to Doncaster today - presumably another appointment with the lathe beckons. I gather that 007 and 205 are being retained as backup until the end of the season and presumably they will be out and about whenever 302/303/305 are broken.

The_Train

Established Member
Thursday 1st November - A venture into the Northern Powerhouse

Part 3 - Leeds leads the way

My journey through to Leeds was a fairly quiet one with only 150224 troubling the pen as we passed Barnsley Interchange so I spent a good chunk of the journey with my head in my book. That was until we edged nearer and nearer to Leeds as I readied myself to pass by Midland Road where I hoped to sight those 70s that had so far eluded me and we were soon heading past the container depot where I was able to spot dud FLR shed 66544 and then it was to Midland Road where I was immediately hit with another dud 66, this time 501 going into the dud pile. There was also a shed in the very new FLR livery which I couldn't ID but I assumed it to be dud 66413 unless any other sheds have been re-liveried into these colours? It wasn't the sheds that overly interested me, it was more the 70s that have sat here for an eternity with nothing to do and I was soon frantically scribbling as first of all we had dud 70011 but this was followed by winners 70019, 001, 009, 004, 017, 018, 016 and 013 which leaves me just 70010 to find for the FLR 70s. We were soon arriving into platform 17 at Leeds so I made my way over to where the action was and more importantly to locate some toilets but whilst doing this I was able to add 153307 to the winners list and as I headed back to find somewhere to buy a drink from I also chalked off 321902. I found a little stall to buy a drink from but got caught in a bit of a wait as the staff member seemed to take an age to sort out a couple of coffees for someone and I have just found out that this wait meant I missed a freight which passed through whilst I was away from the platforms <(

I didn't realise this at the time so it had no affect on my day and I decided to venture out to the end of platform 6 where there were already a few spotters knocking about. Having settled, I tucked into a sandwich or 2 as the hunger had kicked in by now but whilst doing so I was able to add 170459 to the book - who says blokes can't multi-task? It didn't take long to realise how busy Leeds was as it was only seconds passed before I was logging another winner, this time my first ever class 333 thanks to 333012 and it wasn't long until I doubled this tally as 333005 was also spotted. Continuing the trend from my time at Manchester Piccadilly earlier, 150214 was next to be chalked off before a pair of TPE 185s got the treatment as 185116 and 185102, taking my tally of winners for the day to 3 figures, arrived as it worked a service to Middlesbrough and then it was back to everyone's favourite unit as 142049 arrived. 153332 came by before ex ScotRail unit 170473 joined it with 144014 and 158753 not far behind. The 333s seemed to come and go very quickly and it was 333015 working a service to Skipton that was the next on the list of successes and just a couple of minutes later 333009 was arriving with a service from Skipton. In between these 333s I was able to chalk off yet another 185 thanks to 134 along with more of the classic sprinter stock in the form of 156464. Talking of classic stocks, next on the agenda was the 1st sighting of a HST for the day and it was being propelled by 43075, loaned from East Midlands Trains, with 43309 at the rear. Both of these were duds but who doesn't enjoy the sight of a HST set?
43075 arriving into Leeds by The_Train

As nice as it was to see, the HST set was a set of duds so I had to quickly move on and was helped with this by the arrival of 158755 which was almost immediately followed by 142063. The 158 tally was adding up by now and 158756 got in on the act and talking of seeing a lot of something, yet another TPE 185 was finding it's way into the book as 185108 as it headed across the Pennines towards Liverpool. Next it was time for 333 number 5 as 333006, arriving into Leeds with a service from Ilkley, was marked off
Northern Class 333 333006 arrives into Leeds by The_Train

Trains were coming thick and fast and the pen was working in overdrive but it was all about how many of these were being converted into winners and at the time I had little idea but I was in the middle of a little run of winners and this was continued by 185127 which was quickly followed by a pair of 142s, with 021 and 091 going into the book to make it 6 winners in a 5 minute spell. 185106 broke this little run but we were soon up and running again with 158859 first of all and then 3 winners coming in one set as Northern sent 153351, 153360 and 156426 together. Having seen a good chunk of the LNER stock at Doncaster I wasn't having much luck with it at Leeds and that continued when 91128 arrived with DVT 82223 on the rear
LNER DVT 82223 sits at Leeds station by The_Train

185146 was certainly not a dud as it headed into the book, as did 144007 and another ex ScotRail unit in the form of 170461 joined these. 2 whole duds broke another mini run of winners but not for long as another 333 arrived with 002 being the latest of this class to be ticked off before 185138 enhanced my TPE numbers further, as does 185107 which was the next winner on my list. A dud Voyager came by to make me feel at home before I hit another run of winners starting with another 150 as 150117 was ticked off before 333013 crawled into the bay platforms and 158759 also showed it's face to become yet another member of my winners club. This mini run continued with TPE units passing each other as one headed further into Yorkshire and the other headed back across the Pennines towards Manchester but they were both needed and that meant 185140 and 185133 get the bold treatment and as this was happening 321903 snuck in and although only a small sub fleet for Northern it does complete the 321s for Northern and also the 321/9 sub class and is worthy of a very small klaxon. Yet another run of winners was then ended by a Voyager but we were soon moving again and it was more of the Pacer fleet as 142087 arrived shortly before a pair of 150s in the form of 150201 and 150119 before 142067 also went into the book. 333008 was next to be chalked off and I think we will finish this installment with yet another TPE winner as 185113 arrived as it worked a service towards the lovely coastal town of Scarborough.

So there we have it, I've been at Leeds for just over 90 minutes thus far and have chalked off 47 winners to go with the 8 class 70 winners at Midland Road and not forgetting the solitary 150 I picked up on route at Barnsley. So that's another 56 winners to go with the 84 built up earlier in the day so it's already a solid haul with 140 winners in the bag with with over 3 and half hours still remaining at Leeds. Is another 200 haul on the cards, maybe even bettering my highest total of 206 at Donny......part 4 will reveal all

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
A small point of order if I may, Train, it's Woodsmoor, not Woodlesford. Please don't sully the good names of our villages with rubbish from the wrong side of the Pennines.

Good stuff otherwise, I still need them MO choppers so I hope they're still going in a couple of weeks when I have chance to get to Sheffield to grab them.

I had noticed my mistake when a check on RTT (for another purpose) showed Woodlesford to be on the other side of the hills. I've now amended it :)

Skymonster

Established Member
When it was 143 I was going to post 'So it could be said you've got a Pacer load of winners ;) ' - then when I looked again the figure had changed...

I hope you haven't been inflating the counts on your other trips in a similar manner ;)

But in reality I'm just jealous - out of curiosity I've been keeping my own count on your trip and so far I'd have made five (a 142, two 156s, a 170 and a 333).

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
When it was 143 I was going to post 'So it could be said you've got a Pacer load of winners ;) ' - then when I looked again the figure had changed...

I hope you haven't been inflating the counts on your other trips in a similar manner ;)

But in reality I'm just jealous - out of curiosity I've been keeping my own count on your trip and so far I'd have made five (a 142, two 156s, a 170 and a 333).

Haha I quite like the idea of coming up with train related themes for particular numbers. Could be like railway bingo.

And the fact that you'd have had 5 winners out of my 140 winners shows the gulf between us in how much progress has been made. That said, there are a number of duds I saw that I haven't detailed on here (otherwise my report would be in about 10 parts) so there may be some that I've seen previously that you need....although I can't imagine that being many.

Are there actually any areas where you still need to dig into or are you chasing odd locos/units all over the country now?

Skymonster

Established Member
Are there actually any areas where you still need to dig into or are you chasing odd locos/units all over the country now?
My most important needs are Merseyrail (only one in the book) and Jockrail (zero). There are also some notable weak points in Southern and Southwest. I keep promising myself a trip to Liverpool but always manage to find an excuse to put it off. Maybe it's time I got a...
image.jpeg

Anyway, enough of all this guff about me... Looking forward to reading your part 4, and maybe learning you breached the double century again...

xotGD

Established Member
I didn't see mention of the big yellow things stabled at Kirkgate and Holbeck in part 3. Didn't you count these for sight Mr Train?

The_Train

Established Member
I didn't see mention of the big yellow things stabled at Kirkgate and Holbeck in part 3. Didn't you count these for sight Mr Train?

I assume you are talking about the track machines? I looked up from my book just to see a flash of yellow just as they disappeared from view so I missed them unfortunately

palmersears

Established Member

If we're playing that game then I'm on two, the aforementioned 20s 8-)

Train: 70010 is at Southampton Docks tonight, will probably be back out on Monday, if so it'll most likely head through Stafford at some point. I'll keep an eye out for you.

The_Train

Established Member
Train: 70010 is at Southampton Docks tonight, will probably be back out on Monday, if so it'll most likely head through Stafford at some point. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Would be handy if it was on one of the 2x 70 hauled trains that pass Stafford between 5pm and 6pm......not that I am picky of course ;) appreciate the information @palmersears

Kite159

Veteran Member
If we're playing that game then I'm on two, the aforementioned 20s 8-)

Mmm 70 thrash

Sorry but they do occasionally go through my local and they sound nice on power, especially since I believe the direct line via Winchester is being closed at some point for engineering works.

I should begin spotting locos to give me something to do during my winter slowdown

Established Member
Going great guns there Mr Train. 140 new sights is not to be sniffed at and there's still time to add to the list.-
I maybe wrong but you maybe pushing it to get another 69 in the bag before you get back to Stafford but even if you add another 20+ winners, it's still a hugely productive day.

palmersears

Established Member
Mmm 70 thrash

Sorry but they do occasionally go through my local and they sound nice on power, especially since I believe the direct line via Winchester is being closed at some point for engineering works.
I love a bit of 70 thrash. The FL ones tend to be accompanied by enough clag to coat most of Manchester, which is always fun as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.