• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CHAPS2034

where just outside Stockport station we seemed to pass a milk float graveyard which was a new thing for me.

Not a graveyard but an active milk float depot for Creamline Dairies. One comes down my road at o-dark-30 a few times a week and leaves me some milk. I'm afraid I haven't got any numbers though :{

But there are milk float graveyards

and to prove the fact that if it has a number, someone will be collecting them, try here (although not updated for a while)...
http://www.milkfloats.org.uk/

Anyway, I do enjoy your reports, Mr Train

The_Train

Established Member
Not a graveyard but an active milk float depot for Creamline Dairies. One comes down my road at o-dark-30 a few times a week and leaves me some milk. I'm afraid I haven't got any numbers though :{

But there are milk float graveyards

and to prove the fact that if it has a number, someone will be collecting them, try here (although not updated for a while)...
http://www.milkfloats.org.uk/

Anyway, I do enjoy your reports, Mr Train

I've not seen an active milk float in years so I assumed that it would have to be a graveyard considering how many floats there seemed to be. It's quite nice to hear that it is still active and milk floats still exist in working order. To be honest I've never seen a milk float depot either so it's still a new thing to me :)

What is also new to me is milk float spotting but as you say, if it has a number then someone will want to mark it down. This information has probably sorted the next week out for @Skymonster anyway ;):E

Glad you enjoy my ramblings @CHAPS2034 :)

xotGD

Established Member
I've not seen an active milk float in years so I assumed that it would have to be a graveyard considering how many floats there seemed to be. It's quite nice to hear that it is still active and milk floats still exist in working order. To be honest I've never seen a milk float depot either so it's still a new thing to me :)

What is also new to me is milk float spotting but as you say, if it has a number then someone will want to mark it down. This information has probably sorted the next week out for @Skymonster anyway ;):E

Glad you enjoy my ramblings @CHAPS2034 :)
Presumably you mark them down in your book as "S" for sight and "D" for delivery, when said milk float turns up outside your house.

Skymonster

Established Member
This information has probably sorted the next week out for @Skymonster anyway ;):E

Some people are destined to lead, but others will surely follow :)

Actually I suspect you regret continuing to Piccadilly, now you realise you passed up an opportunity to become a luminary in the hitherto unexplored realm of milk float spotting. :(

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Thursday 1st November - A venture into the Northern Powerhouse

Part 4 - The Northern Spirit

We ended part 3 with 140 winners already logged so would my remaining few hours see me creep up above the 200 mark as I did with my last venture into Yorkshire?

Here's a reminder of 1 of the many winners from my initial hour or so at Leeds
Northern Rail sprinter 150119 departs Leeds station by The_Train

I was straight back in amongst the winners as 333016 became the 8th of this class to be ticked off today before I hit yet another hot streak with no less than 7 winners in a row over the next 10 minutes. This started with 150135 before TPE threw more 185s in my direction with 185114 and 185119 going into the book. It was another double whammy next as well but this time with yet another of the classic sprinter units as 158758 and 158752 passed in opposite directions with 142050 and 185137 completing this little run which was ended by previously seen 333015 seen here departing Leeds after a short layover
Northern 333 units at Leeds by The_Train

Having seen a few freights working around the curve outside the station, we were now finally blessed with a freight train working it's way through the station as dud FLR 66534 worked through with some very colourful hoppers with a working from Rylstone to Hunslet Tilcon
FLR 66534 heads into Leeds station by The_Train

As the dud numbers started to increase at a regular pace I started to fear that my remaining time at Leeds might be wasted but, although not as frequent, winners did keep coming with 158843 being next to strike. Knowing how less frequent the LNER sets were at Leeds, particularly compared to my last Yorkshire visit, I'd not budgeted to improved my 91/DVT numbers but struck a nice little bonus when 91104 arrived with DVT 82227 on the rear. This was made all the more interesting as I was stood chatting to another spotter who happened to be noting coaches so I finally succumbed and decided to log the coach numbers with this set so the 9 coach numbers went into the book but I won't use them as part of my tally nor will I log them individually in this report. The big coach debate aside, this was more important as it carried on the good work of Doncaster and edged me even closer to completing the 91/DVT sets. There seems to be a lot of units in Northern land still showing off their previous life and next in the book was ex ScotRail 170460 as it arrived from Knaresborough
170460 arriving into Leeds by The_Train

158757 also found its way into the book before another LNER set departed but this time it was dud power cars 43314 and 43307 heading back to the capital
LNER HST power car 43307 departs Leeds by The_Train

More TPE 185 action next as 185129 became the 35th of this class to be chalked off before it was back to Northern units as 150205 found its way into the book. 35 class 185 winners soon became 36 thanks to 185101 and then it was my first 155 to be chalked off when 155344 arrived and departed with ex GWR 153373 attached to it
Ex GWR 153 in Northern land by The_Train

158855 was next to get the bold treatment, with another 170, in the form of 472, following it into the book as the winners kept coming. It was now mid afternoon and 9 hours since my day had begun and there was still no let up with winners and yet another mini blitz struck me as 158791 was followed by 185121 and 333014 in a matter of minutes and I was suddenly up to 163 winners for the day with 2 and a half hours until my planned train back across the Pennines. The units just kept on coming and going and Northern definitely don't mind throwing any concoction together as was shown with duds 156426, 153360 & 153351 worked through towards Manchester Victoria
Northern Rail 156426 departs Leeds by The_Train

The 185 winners seemed to be never ending and the next 2 into the book were 185112 and 185151 before attentions turned back to the lovely pacers with 144015 and 142062. 153363 is soon getting the treatment as well before my 2nd 155 - 155341 this time - is marked off. Dud LNER 91118 and DVT 82226 came and went before 322484 arrived to leave me needing just one more 322 to complete this small class
LNER Class 91 91118 departing Leeds by The_Train

A 30 minutes lull struck me as I was flooded with duds and it would have been easy to suspect that this was the start of the end of my good fortune but Leeds wasn't giving up on me just yet. 185105 was soon chalked off, quickly followed by 150118 before I got some more luck with the LNER stock as winner 91117 arrived with dud 82219
91117 arrives at Leeds by The_Train

TPE 185149 was next into the winners log before 158848 joined it. A triple whammy of sprinter units kept things ticking over nicely thanks to 153380, 153317 and 158909 before yet more LNER joy (and not just with coaching stock) as I was able to chalk off 91107 and 82213 as they arrived from London town. Northern clearly make use of their 333 stocks as even as the day turned to evening winners were still coming, 333004 in this instance before 144016 became the next Pacer to fall. It was a tandem working of 150s that supplied my next victory as 150274 and 150218 worked a service from Huddersfield. We were thrown a nice curve ball next as 801101 made a special guest appearance having worked a test from London before heading off to Doncaster with my 12th (and final) 333 success of the day, in the form of 333010, following shortly after. The day was closing to and end but not before a few more impacted upon my book of sights starting with 158842 and 153330 before the klaxons were sounding once again as 322482 arrived to signal the completion of the 322 class. Amazingly I was still chalking off 185 units although 185120 would be my final one of the day before 91131 took me to needing just 4 of the 91s and it's partner 82224 left me needing 5 of the LNER DVTs. By now I'd witnessed a few of the TPE services heading across the Pennines to be extremely busy so I decided to stroll down to the concourse to see what alternatives were available. Unfortunately whilst waiting for that last LNER service I'd missed my last alternative option meaning I had to head across to a very crowded platform 16 for my train back to Manchester although before doing this there was still time to mark off and final winner at Leeds thanks to 170476. My horsepower for the journey to Manchester was 185146 which was a first for haulage if not for sight and it was indeed busy although it thinned out at Dewsbury so I was able to nab a table seat for the remainder of the journey.

I spent most of the journey with my head in my book but thanks to a slow run through the Manchester stations, I was able to snag 156463 as it paused at Oxford Road before we eventually arrived into Piccadilly slightly later than scheduled. My Pendolino for the journey home was already platformed at Piccadilly but I had a bit of time to scout the platforms and was able to add a trio of pacers to the book as 142015, 142047 and 142052 each awaited departure. Knowing my phone needed some charge, I decided to jump on 390046, my steed for the journey home although not a first timer, so I could nab a table seat and grab a socket. Unfortunately as I did this I managed to miss a freight train that had crept through platform 14 but I knew there would be a couple of opportunities to grab a bit of late night freight at the local once I arrived back there. It was back to my book for the journey home on what was a fairly busy service although I was faced with 2 women sharing the table seats with me, 1 of whom decided that we should all listen to what she was watching on her phone and another who felt the need to cover herself in perfume as soon as she sat down - I can only assume it was an attempt at attracting my attention......

Anyway, my journey and day was soon at an end and as I saw one freight at Stafford passing by as we pulled in and then another blocked by the pendolino that I'd just arrived on I decided this was a sign to call it a day/night so I headed home for some well earned rest.

All in all, Leeds was a worthy place to go and eat and way at the unit requirements. Very busy station with lots of variety and a place I would definitely recommend, especially if new to this as I am. I also got what I wanted at Sheffield in the shape of the 20s so this one has to go down as a worthwhile outing.

Sight Summary

Winners: 197
Classes completed: 1 - 322
Sub classes completed: 1 - 321/9

Haulage Summary

Winners: 6
Total Mileage: 233 miles
Classes completed: N/A
Sub classes completed: N/A

Established Member
Mr Train,
Another Great read squire, congrats on the 197 winners and clearing Northerns 321s and 322's. I thought you'd make hay and you certainly did.

As I was reading your trip report, I was hoping you'd break through the 200 barrier but 197 new sights is still excellent and is a helluva start to reducing your Northern, TPE and LNER requirements.

When you mark them into the book of sights, then look at the the dents you've made in what we're barren pages, you'll be more than pleased with yourself.

Now your going for coaching stock, as someone who has done it for years, Welcome Aboard, a dictaphone is an absolute must unless ofcourse, you can scribble like hell. It'll drive your numbers up by at least double, then probably drive you bonkers too. With branching out into this too, I can only assume that you were probably closer to 250 new sights over the day?

Nice to see you had a very profitable day, thanks for sharing.

palmersears

Established Member
@The_Train short notice but 70010 is due through Stafford in 20 minutes or so. Failing that, if it sticks to the same workings then it should be back through around 2230 tonight.

Skymonster

Established Member
197 winners- very impressive... I very much enjoyed reading all the parts. Looking forward to the next one. But COACHES - as well as milkfloats?? Wagons next I guess...
...then it was my first 155 to be chalked off when 155344 arrived and departed with ex GWR 153373 attached...
Arghh!

The_Train

Established Member
Mr Train,
Another Great read squire, congrats on the 197 winners and clearing Northerns 321s and 322's. I thought you'd make hay and you certainly did.

As I was reading your trip report, I was hoping you'd break through the 200 barrier but 197 new sights is still excellent and is a helluva start to reducing your Northern, TPE and LNER requirements.

When you mark them into the book of sights, then look at the the dents you've made in what we're barren pages, you'll be more than pleased with yourself.

Now your going for coaching stock, as someone who has done it for years, Welcome Aboard, a dictaphone is an absolute must unless ofcourse, you can scribble like hell. It'll drive your numbers up by at least double, then probably drive you bonkers too. With branching out into this too, I can only assume that you were probably closer to 250 new sights over the day?

Thanks Mr 403. I've not actually entered the coaches into SpotLog yet so I will do it later and let you know of the overall total. I've also got 5 numbers showing as unknown so I've clearly wrote them down wrong...maybe this has cost me another 200+ haul but can't complain too much.

I coped quite well writing the coach numbers down at Leeds but I imagine at stations where services go straight through you'd struggle to get most of the coaches even with a dictaphone?

The_Train

Established Member
@The_Train short notice but 70010 is due through Stafford in 20 minutes or so. Failing that, if it sticks to the same workings then it should be back through around 2230 tonight.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I couldn't get across this morning and 2230 is probably a bit late so I'll wait until it's on one of the afternoon workings - hopefully it remains out and working for a bit and I don't rue this as a missed opportunity

The_Train

Established Member
A day at Manchester will get you close to clearing TPE 185s now, I reckon.

Yeah I'm down to 10 required now and if I do get out one more time before Xmas it will probably be the Cheshire Day Ranger which will take me around Manchester so hopefully I can clear them up then

The_Train

Established Member
197 winners- very impressive... I very much enjoyed reading all the parts. Looking forward to the next one. But COACHES - as well as milkfloats?? Wagons next I guess...

Arghh!

That milkfloat gif (I think that's the correct terminology) did make me laugh. They are pretty much the freight version of a tram aren't they? ;)

Are you wanting one of the 155 or 153 you quoted in your previous post? :E

The_Train

Established Member
A very productive end of the day for your big book of sights :)

Thanks Kite, it certainly was productive probably more so than I felt it was as the day went on. Seeing unit after unit like at Leeds can make you feel as though you are just writing down a load of repeats but it just wasn't the case as proven by the fact I was logging winners right up to my departure.

Definitely a handy place for people just getting going in the hobby

Skymonster

Established Member
Are you wanting one of the 155 or 153 you quoted in your previous post? :E
Oooh no, not one. Both. Only three Northern 153s and one Northern 155 outstanding for sight - and they were coupled together! :s
They are pretty much the freight version of a tram aren't they? ;)
Whatever it takes to justify going for them in your mind! :E I think I'll decide whether to follow once you've taken the lead on those... :rolleyes:
Definitely a handy place for people just getting going in the hobby
As long newbies take plenty of pens, note paper and shoe leather!

Established Member
I coped quite well writing the coach numbers down at Leeds but I imagine at stations where services go straight through you'd struggle to get most of the coaches even with a dictaphone?
It's where they cross over, say Newcastle, you could have an HST going to Edinburgh, a blunt off to Kings Cross and a XC HST going to Plymouth.

The_Train

Established Member
Oooh no, not one. Both. Only three Northern 153s and one Northern 155 outstanding for sight - and they were coupled together! :s

That's rough my friend. Pretty sure they were uncoupled later in the day.........and then sent off to ScotRail ;)

Whatever it takes to justify going for them in your mind! :E I think I'll decide whether to follow once you've taken the lead on those... :rolleyes:

Well I've learnt a lot in the short time I've been on this forum and one of those things is to clearly state that I will never go after something and then in actual fact start logging the numbers (not sure where I got that from? :s;)) So shall I kick this process off by saying I will never go after a milk distribution light goods vehicle.......

As long newbies take plenty of pens, note paper and shoe leather!

I actually didn't move around that much. I kind of felt that the bays at the Northern (country?) end weren't busy enough to justify leaving the busier southern (London?) ends except for when I made a trip to the toilet. Maybe this process also cost me my 200 haul but I don't think I regret it. As for paper and pens....yes, take plenty

The_Train

Established Member
It's where they cross over, say Newcastle, you could have an HST going to Edinburgh, a blunt off to Kings Cross and a XC HST going to Plymouth.

Ah yes never thought of that, that could also be an issue at Doncaster (and probably most large-scale stations) where I saw the bulk of what coaching stock I've seen.

The_Train

Established Member
Mr Train,

Thanks Mr 403. I've not actually entered the coaches into SpotLog yet so I will do it later and let you know of the overall total. I've also got 5 numbers showing as unknown so I've clearly wrote them down wrong...maybe this has cost me another 200+ haul but can't complain too much.

It was an extra 54 winners with the coaching stock (from when I decided to start logging them) so that would creep me over the 250 mark for the day. There will probably be worse outings ;)

xotGD

Established Member
It was an extra 54 winners with the coaching stock (from when I decided to start logging them) so that would creep me over the 250 mark for the day. There will probably be worse outings ;)
If you counted DMU and EMU by vehicle rather than set numbers you would be well over 500 for the day!

Skymonster

Established Member
There will probably be worse outings ;)
image.jpeg

1. Locomotives
2. Units
3. Trams
4. Track machines
5. DVTs / DBSOs
6. Coaches
7. Wagons
1. Haulage
2. Mileage
3. Shacks
4. Track
5. Mileage per loco / unit
6. Mileage per coach

Last edited:

Established Member
Wagons, oh dear, I'm not that committed to do wagons. I have more than enough to seek out before I'd even consider doing that.
A few yes back, I was at Barnetby and a guy there asked if the biomass train had been through. I said, I didn't think so, oh good was his reply, after it did, he told me, he needed the wagons, as they're new, I've got all the iron ore wagons and the GBRf and Freightliner coal hoppers. So I only come out here for these. I was gobsmacked. He told me, on a good trip out to Doncaster he could have a book with at least 4-500 numbers in.
It's not wholly important to me but I've only recently started to do trip mileage, not miles behind locos, you can read about the lads putting stuff in the 10mile club, I admire there tenacity, it's too much paperwork for me but I find it quite fascinating, I don't do shacks but like above, I admire those that do, I think it's one helluva feat to have all the mainline stations, nevermind, every station from Inverness to Fort William but that's how obsessive this hobby can get and that's without mentioning bakers and quails.

Last edited:

palmersears

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I couldn't get across this morning and 2230 is probably a bit late so I'll wait until it's on one of the afternoon workings - hopefully it remains out and working for a bit and I don't rue this as a missed opportunity
Yeah I thought that might be the case!

Should it follow it's booked workings then it's due through again today at a much more civilised hour:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H45634/2018/11/07/advanced

The_Train

Established Member
View attachment 55029

1. Locomotives
2. Units
3. Trams
4. Track machines
5. DVTs / DBSOs
6. Coaches
7. Wagons
1. Haulage
2. Mileage
3. Shacks
4. Track
5. Mileage per loco / unit
6. Mileage per coach

I've just seen your amendment to this and I did have a chuckle. It's a lot worse though as I am using trainlogger to monitor mileage per loco/unit :E I only started this in the summer and it's engulfing me already. Maybe I should take December off.......he says whilst sat in the waiting room at the local because my last FLR 70 is due through.......

Status
Not open for further replies.