• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Train

Established Member
Scotland the Brave - Thursday 13th December 2018

Part 1 - Creeping up the West Coast Mainline

Today saw my biggest trip to date and my first ever venture to Glasgow for railway purposes. It was probably a sign that the hobby has well and truly grabbed me as well as I headed closer to the Arctic circle during our winter period. The day began with a 5am alarm call which allowed for plenty of time to get myself ready and head to Stafford station in good time for the 0638 LNWR service to Liverpool which would take me as far as Crewe. Arriving in good time also allowed me time to test the Stafford ticket office by asking for the Strathclyde Roundabout ticket which I would need once in Scotland. The very helpful member of staff duly obliged and having been her first ever customer asking for such a ticket, I was asked with all the tickets I needed and, having picked up a coffee, heading across to platform 5. It wouldn't be normal if I wasn't able to log a dud Voyager at Stafford and 221141 duly obliged before 66761 made it 2/2 for duds. There was also time for me to see 92014 (another dud) pulling the late running Sleeper service southbound, for some reason being pathed South through platform 5 (usually reserved for northbound movements) instead of through the fast lines. Once that anomaly had passed, there was finally space for 350247 to roll in to become a winner for haulage as it took me off to Crewe for my first layover of the morning. The morning remained in darkness so there was no chance of ID'ing anything in the yards/depots outside of Crewe station but upon alighting I could hear the glorious sound of a duff, a quick trek down platform 12 allowed me to ID D1924 (47810) sat in the goods line with 365507 behind waiting to head southbound. I also logged the couple of barrier coaches forming part of the set but i won't bore you with the details, as I won't with the TfW loco hauled set that crept into platform 11. My next train was running around 10 minutes late so this gave me chance to head over the footbridge to find that it was duds 67020 and 82308 (seen at both Crewe and Manchester during my recent trip over the Pennines. Despite this dudness it did allow me to chalk off the coaching stock that formed this set heading towards Chester
DVT 82308 at Crewe by The_Train

It was a quick hop back over the bridge to platform 12 where minutes later 390114 arrived, working a service to Edinburgh, which would take me to my next checkpoint at Preston. Unfortunately this was dud for everything having bagged haulage on it a couple of weeks earlier but I did grab my next winner of the day whilst we paused at Wigan North Western as 150210 was chalked off. My multiple layers (and a reluctance to remove any for the shortish journey) made for a fairly uncomfortable journey as the Pendolino's heating seemed to be on full whack but soon enough I was back out into the very fresh air as I made use of the 20 or so minutes at Preston to nab a few more winners. First it was my only Pacer success of the day as 142030 went into the book of sights, before a stroll around helped me to edge that little bit closer to completing the full 350 set as 350407 was sat parked up in one of the bays. I had high hopes of bagging more of these as the day went on.....Unfortunately things didn't bode well as the first Manchester-Glasgow TPE service I saw was being worked by dud 185107. My Manchester/Leeds trip had got my Northern requirements moving but it was nice to tick a few more off and Preston was assisting as 156451 arrived joined to dud 158784. 319379 would be my final success for sight at Preston with dud 66528 passing through with containers just before 390011 arrived to provide my final haulage on my trek North of the border and also become my 2nd winner of the day for haulage.

My reservation on the Pendolino gave me a table seat and more importantly a power socket which ensured I would arrive into Glasgow with a fully charged battery on my phone. I settled in opposite an Irish lad (well I assume he was Irish as he had an Irish football shirt on) who had either had a good night out or was struggling with the early start as he slept throughout the journey. There was little to see on the journey, well there were some lovely views, until we reached Carlisle where DR73914 was sat at Upperby. On the approach to Carlisle, and with my battery fully charged, I gave up my table seat so that I could be on the right side for the Kingmoor depot and this allowed me to spot dud DRS 57309 parked in Carlisle station, presumably on Thunderbird duties. There was plenty around Kingmoor but the winners weren't plentiful with only 68008 (11 of these still to go) and 66147 troubling the list of winners. We continued North and it was just outside Carstairs that I spied Colas 70814 being held for us to pass - this being a pleasant surprise as the Colas 70s have not been easy to come by for me. I knew that next on the agenda would be the Polmadie depot (thanks to the help on here) but with little to see before then, I found myself nodding a little and my tiredness nearly beat me as my 6th sense kicked in and I opened my eyes just in time to identify 86101 at the front of a rake of sleeper coaches and gronk 08764. Unfortunately my sleepiness did mean I missed out on another gronk I caught sight of so that will have to be for another day. Still, I'd made it in to double figures before reaching Glasgow and as expected Glasgow did not disappoint, particularly in the early period there. This started as we crept through the station approach with 380114 having the honour of the first of its class to be ticked off before 380006 also crawled past us as it headed into the Glasgow suburbs. As I alighted into the cool Glasgow air, I was blessed with my first sightings of ScotRail's 156 fleet as 435 and 430 were chalked off as they arrived into their destination
VTWC Pendolino 390011 at Glasgow Central by The_Train

185107 was quickly spotted for the second time today having reached its destination shortly before we pulled in but a quick glance around showed me that there was plenty to see already. A walk from platform to platform was required to start getting units marked down before they disappeared and 380013 was next before my first ever sightings of 314s was made with 203 and 207 making the first dents into this class. The 380s were clearly going to be prominent during my stint in Glasgow and 380104 was ticked off before 380009 joined it. I'd seen as much as I could at the buffers so decided I needed to find a platform to head down to check for any units parked at the front bit after checking with a friendly and helpful member of the ScotRail station staff it was off to the Network Rail reception to get myself signed in (a first for me). A swift and simple sign in process was completed with the handover of my platform pass and I was on my to platforms 9 and 10 which is where I would base myself for my duration at Central. From here I was able to nab more 156s with 156434 being followed quickly by 156442 before 380112 and 380018 became my next successes
ScotRail class 380 380112 departing Glasgow Central by The_Train

One thing that immediately struck me was that I was going to see quite the variety of differing units today, kind of summed up by the following photo
All about the units at Glasgow Central by The_Train

More 380s were soon chalked off as 022 and 113 fell in quick succession before more classic sprinter action with 156431 finding itself in my book for sights having arrived in from East Kilbride. It seemed that everywhere I was looking now there was a 380 to be seen and thankfully the next ones that arrived into Central were 109 and 111 which took me to double figures for these units in quicktime. 156504 was soon chalked off as it arrived and then departed quickly back out to East Kilbride
ScotRail 156504 departing Glasgow Central by The_Train

380012 was next to be marked off but then I was amazed to receive my first ScotRail dud early in proceedings as 380104 made a quick return having headed out to be re-platformed for it's next duties. After that minor blip we re-entered the land of the winners as 156511 arrived with a service from Edinburgh before 318259 was also chalked off as it arrived from Lanark. The 380s kept on rolling on and 380103 was next into the book before my first 320 of the day in the form of 302 which arrived from Newton. 390010 arrived to make me feel more at home before more winners came by with 314208 heading into the book before 156439 worked in from Barrhead and 380011 also got that special winners treatment when it arrived from Ardrossan Harbour. It was pretty relentless with only the odd few minutes between arrivals and the winners kept on coming as 314201 was chalked off before 314205 arrived from Paisley Canal (don't panic, it had dried out by the time it arrived into Central) to make it a double that dreams are made of....a 314 double. It was another double header next as not only did 380108 and 380003 arrive into Glasgow Central they both also arrived into my book of sights. 156495 was another arrival from East Kilbride before 314211 joined it in the growing list of cops (not used cop in my reports before but as it's Christmas) and these were quickly followed by 156509 which completed its journey from Auchinleck. It was soon back to the 380s as 380001 made an appearance with an arrival from Ayr and right on it's tail was 380116 before 318265 arrived from Lanark
ScotRail 318265 arrives into Glasgow Central by The_Train, on Flickr

That completes the first hour at Central and with those I'd picked up on my way North, the winner count had already reached 50 (55 including coaching stock). The plan was to spend another hour at Central before heading into the basement to head off to Hyndland and then across to Queen Street.....but plans are there to be destroyed as many of us know. See how I got on with the next instalment which will hopefully be available tomorrow evening

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
The pictures I've posted don't appear to be showing. Any ideas why as I've not done anything different to when I've used them previously off Flickr?

433N

Interesting stuff, Mr Train.

It used to be that 318s were the exception rather than the rule on the Lanarks but it seems the opposite is true. The usual would be 320.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the 156 wouldn't have been on a Gourock service - all electric AFAIK but I may be wrong.

It's going to be interesting to see what your final stats are against my guesstimates for the trip (this could be embarrassing :( )

The_Train

Established Member
Only thing I can think of did you put the [/IMG] tags in?

I just copied the BB code from Flickr as I've always done. There does seem to be some sort of IMG tag in the code that I'm not sure I've seen before.

Also, a check over all of my previous reports has shown that all photos have disappeared :frown:

atsf_fT

The pictures I've posted don't appear to be showing. Any ideas why as I've not done anything different to when I've used them previously off Flickr?
Your not only one with flickr problems, my photos have stopped showing up too and ive onky used 10% of my free worth.
Flickr seem to be following the same path has photobucket. They have temporarily stopped photos showing because flicker want people to take out flickr pro! They want our £££££££s

Kite159

Veteran Member
Your not only one with flickr problems, my photos have stopped showing up too and ive onky used 10% of my free worth.
Flickr seem to be following the same path has photobucket. They have temporarily stopped photos showing because flicker want people to take out flickr pro! They want our £££££££s

Indeed, first I've heard about you needing to be a Pro member to be able to share photos.

I'm so tempted to sign up for a new account and upload 999 very large pictures of nothingness

03_179

Established Member
I uploaded video on Saturday night and they had changed the default to private. You might need to check that.

The_Train

Established Member

Indeed, first I've heard about you needing to be a Pro member to be able to share photos.

I'm so tempted to sign up for a new account and upload 999 very large pictures of nothingness

If they want to limit activity of free users then that is their prerogative but to impact upon things that I did before they took this decision is a bit naughty in my opinion.

I was considering upgrading to pro to continue using it but this is making me reconsider as it feels a bit like blackmail to me.

Anyway I shall continue my story in the same manner and if anyone wants to see the pics you will have to click on the link. I will then spend time hunting for alternatives before my next outing in the new year

The_Train

Established Member

Part 2 - Round and round the roundabout we go

Having left you previously one hour into my stint at Central I'd already amassed 50 winners for the day and was yet again on for a good haul that the start of this hobby offers regularly (in the right places of course). However, part 2 gets under way with a dud as 314208 made its 2nd appearance of the day but it was a short lived period of dudness as another 380 went into the book as 380014 was chalked off before 156432 joined it with 380019 completing a quickfire treble
ScotRail class 380s sat at Glasgow Central by The_Train, on Flickr

A plethora of duds arrived next with no fewer than 4 repeats being logged before 380004 arrived from Paisley Canal to break the run of duds, 156433 following it into the book very quickly to emphasise that point. A couple more duds followed but one was a Pendolino and I think these have gone far beyond being duds as I see a lot of them every day, but 314202 was soon marked off along with 156456 and 158730 which arrived from Waverley before heading back out to the Scottish capital shortly after
ScotRail 158730 departs Glasgow Central by The_Train, on Flickr

380107 kept the winner count moving although it was becoming noticeable that a lot of the units were returning and the dud count was growing. It was time to start considering my next move so I decided to give Central another half hour before heading to the low level at just before 1300. Central duly rewarded me for my commitment to it by churning up 318264 and 380017 but that would be my lot on the high level at Glasgow so it was time to head back to reception to sign out. I decided a toilet break was necessary on my way but was disappointed to be faced with a 40p charge until a kind member of staff advised me that my visitor pass was enough to avoid the charge and was allowed through the middle for a free pee (not sure if I'd have got the same treatment if the guy had seen that my visitor pass stated I was a 'train enthusiast' as opposed to someone more important but I wasn't complaining). Refreshed and signed out, I headed down into the doldrums of Glasgow Central to find a train to Hyndland. I didn't have to wait long and was soon aboard 320303 and 318267, both winners for sight and haulage, for the short hop to Hyndland. Alighting here, it seemed to be a nice little station with lots of people activity. I found a seat and it wasn't long before I got an early idea of what it was going to be like here as 320421 was quickly followed by a pair of 334 units in the form of 334011 and 334024. More 334 fun arrived soon after as 334029 and 334007 passed by heading towards Milngavie with 320317 heading in the opposite direction. The quiet periods here were never more than 3 or 4 minutes so whilst I tried to shovel a sandwich down my throat I was able to chalk off 334027 and soon after, 334021 and 334023 working in tandem. Just a minute later and platform 1 was get again occupied......do drivers ever see a green light on this line as these services must chase each other along this line? This time it was 334015 and 334016 working in tandem towards Edinburgh
2M18 1254 Milngavie to Edinburgh by The_Train, on Flickr

320312 was next into the book heading towards Dumbarton with 320304 not far behind heading in the opposite direction. The 334s were proving to be regular visitors to Hyndland and 334006 was soon marked down before another tandem working (these really help) of 320415 and 318270 added to the growing list of winners. It was another 320/318 combo that was to be marked off next as 320311 and 318261 did the honours before the lone workings of 318255 and 320316 took my Hyndland winners to 20 in under 30 minutes. Back to double units next as 334039 and 334003 arrived together working a service from Helensburgh to Edinburgh and 318251 arrived just as they were departing. 320318 joined it's mates in the book as did 334012 and 334026 before a pair of dud 334s ruined my good run. It was only a minor blip though and soon enough 318260 was getting the bold treatment as it passed by on route to Dalmuir before both sides of the Island platform were occupied by pairs of units. 334013 and 334020 arrived into platform 2 working an Edinburgh to Helensburgh service whilst 318268 and 318252 took their place on platform 1 as they headed towards Airdrie.

I'd hoped to get deeper into the day in part 2 but unfortunately I have to head out shortly so I will leave it here with a few additional winners at Central and the 31 winners already sighted at Hyndland leaving me at 94 winners for the day thus far (99 including coaching stock).

More to follow later

The_Train

Established Member

Part 3 - Mary Queen (Street) of Scots

So Hyndland was certainly proving its worth to me and I was most definitely amazed at the sheer volume of traffic through this station. 31 winners bagged at this little station with its island platform and soon enough 31 became 32 as I hit another hot streak starting with 318262 which was quickly followed by 320414 and 318269 which offered more 2 for the price of 1 in winners as they headed off towards Milngavie. 320413 fell next before I was able to chalk off yet another 334 unit thanks to 040, this becoming the filling to a 320 sandwich as 320306 soon followed
ScotRail 320306 departs Hyndland by The_Train, on Flickr

went into the book next as it worked the popular Helensburgh to Edinburgh service before a pair of 320s strolled into platform 2 with both 313 and 301 finding themselves well and truly marked off. 334033 became my 21st winner from this class....surely I couldn't complete a full set in the one trip??
ScotRail 334033 arriving into Hyndland by The_Train, on Flickr

.....but with over half an hour of my planned time left at Hyndland I felt I might be pushing my luck a bit as a few duds rolled by. That said, those 320/318 combos were keeping my fight going with 320411 and 318263 offering yet more success
ScotRail 318263 departs Hyndland by The_Train, on Flickr

A quick check on RTT showed that the next train into platform 2 would take me past Yoker, and with @433N's advice about units on death row at the depot there I took a quick decision to jump on board and head for the ride. 334014 and 334038 offered the haulage and I was pleasantly surprised (and relieved) to see that these units have plug sockets available allowing me a chance to add some juice to the phone. The depot itself caught me by surprise as I wasn't sure if it was on the left or right but I did manage to catch 318258 up against the buffers and then 314213 which was sandwiched between 2 other units. In total there were 3 units I'd missed but I wasn't concerned as I could make the return journey and bag them as I went past again......or that was the plan anyway.

I knew it was a tight turnaround at Dalmuir where I alighted, in fact my return train should be in the platform as I arrive. Indeed there was a train where I expected it and with a dash across the footbridge I was able to jump on just as the doors were closing. However, this had meant that I'd been unable to check any form of information as to whether this was actually my required train and as we pulled out I thought it best to check RTT. I am sure this would have worked had I not clicked on the wrong service (but with a similar departure time from Dalmuir) and automatically assumed that I was on the wrong train. Eventually I'd managed to ascertain that I was in fact on the right train but all of my (unnecessary) panicking meant that by the time I'd looked up from my phone we were just passing the buffers of Yoker sidings which meant my chance to nab the remaining 3 units had gone. Anyway, no time to dwell on this as my journey was taking me to Glasgow Queen Street where I was scheduled to spend around 90 minutes and upon alighting on the low level I was able to identify 334023 and 334021 as being my (required for) haulage. I managed to leave the low level platforms at the wrong end had a short work around the corner to the high level which had plenty on offer for easy pickings. My first 170s of the day went into the book as 395 and 410 were sat awaiting their next duties in platform 6 before I got my first sightings of ScotRail's latest units as 385016 and 385109 offered tandem winners as they waited to head back to the Scottish capital. 170416 was sat in platform 3 having arrived ECS from Eastfield Holding Sidings before a further stretch of the legs took me to platform 1 where 385115 was waiting to head out towards Stirling. Whilst over at platform 1, I'd spied a pair of 385s arriving into platform 7 (typical eh?) so I made my way over to the opposite side where I was able to identify 385124 and 385004 before 385117 joined them as it was readied for departure from platform 5 to Edinburgh Waverley
ScotRail Class 385 385117 at Glasgow Queen Street by The_Train, on Flickr

Central had proven to be fruitful when it came to the classic 156 sprinter stock and Queen Street maintained that as 156445 arrived into platform 1 before 158724 timed its arrival into platform 2 perfectly
ScotRail 158724 at Glasgow Queen Street by The_Train, on Flickr

and 385005 continued the trend of multiples of multiple units working together as did 385104 and 385008 before my biggest surprise of the day came next
385104 at Glasgow Queen Street by The_Train, on Flickr

Whilst lingering around platform's 4 and 5, I noticed quite a congregation of cleaning staff on platform 7 so I decided to head down to see what all the fuss was about and to make a good day great this was creeping in
Ex GWR HST power car 43147 at Glasgow Queen Street by The_Train, on Flickr

Yes, ex GWR HST power car 43147 (dud for sight unfortunately) was rolling up to the buffers having completed its journey from Aberdeen 7 minutes down, meaning a swift turnaround was required. It still gave me plenty of time to head down the platform to not only chalk off the few carriages (all still donning the First Great Western livery) and also to nab the rear power car which was required 43144
Ex GWR HST power car 43144 at Glasgow Queen Street by The_Train, on Flickr

After all of this excitement it was back across to platform 1 where 158729 had settled to become my 3rd 158 winner of the day, before I had more sprinter success with a tandem working of 156s in the form of 492 and 500 being ticked off as they arrived from Mallaig. My time at Queen Street was drawing to a close but there was still time for more 385s to head into the book, with 385113 and 385011 working together with the express service from Edinburgh. Not many of these seem to work by themselves but 385105 was doing just that but with nothing showing as due for arrival before my departure, I decided to head down to the low level platforms ready for my train out of there. It proved to be a wise move as I was immediately rewarded with 320401, just identifyinf this as it departed before I was able to add to the long list of 334 winners with 022 and 036 working together on the opposite platform. Instead of catching the shuttle bus between Queen Street and Central, I decided to bag a bit of haulage by heading out to Patrick which I did thanks to 334024 and 334011. Partick only offered a dud 320/318 combo until 318255 arrived to take me back to Central. The service got busier and busier as we closed in on Central and I was certainly happy to alight and head back up to civilisation to obtain my pass for the final hour or so of my day in Scotland.

I knew that Central would be hit and miss after my successes of earlier in the day and my start was made up of a run of duds but this was ended in dramatic fashion with treble the fun as 156478, 156506 & 156507 arrived together from the Corkerhill depot. The 380s had not yet deserted me either as 380010 was chalked off before yet more 156s were added to the list of successes as 508 and 494 arrived onto the scene. There were more and more duds striking now including 314205 seen here departing Glasgow
ScotRail Class 314 314205 departs Glasgow Central by The_Train, on Flickr

But 314209 certainly wasn't a dud and neither was 158733 which was just my 4th 158 winner of the day. 156502 was next in the book and was soon followed by a double whammy of 314s as 215 and 214 arrived together from Shields TMD. Considering how good Glasgow had been to me with 156s it was fitting that 156436 and 156514 were to be my final winners of my time in Scotland. There was a run of 9 duds in a row to close out my time at Central but I can't complain too much as that was my longest run of duds through the entire day. 221142 was my steed for the journey home which was a winner for haulage and the trip did yield a couple of winners at Carlisle as 156437 and 156452 were to be the final winners of the day taking my total of 156 winners to 27.

Sight Summary

Winners: 151 (160 including coaching stock)
Classes completed: N/A
Sub classes completed: N/A

Haulage Summary

Winners: 10
Total Mileage: 565 miles

All in all a very good and productive day out. One thing that was extremely noticeable was how helpful, polite and friendly every member of ScotRail and Network Rail staff was at every station I visited up there as well as on the trains. I was very impressed with my first visit to Scotland and look forward to a lengthier stay next time I visit.

Thanks as always to everyone who helped with information and advice in the lead up to my day out, it always proves to be invaluable to me in terms of maximising my time on the platform.

And finally Merry Christmas to all on the forum but particularly to those who have taken the time to read and interact with my ramblings.

I will be back before the New Year to do a first ever year end review (probably pinching @palmersears style of reviewing :E)

And then the plans for the early part of next year will be to start off with a trip to Liverpool to nail the Merseyrail stuff before it all becomes about the South. Cardiff/Bristol, Anglia and the dreaded London areas will all be on the horizon for the first 6 months of 2019.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Also, I'm pretty sure that the 156 wouldn't have been on a Gourock service - all electric AFAIK but I may be wrong.

It could well have been something else. I don't log this information, I use RTT to try and work it out and sometimes it gets confusing when multiple services arrive at the same time :E

Edit: Just checked it again and not sure where Gourock came from. I think it was from Barrhead - does that sound more likely?

Strat-tastic

Established Member

So Hyndland was certainly proving its worth to me and I was most definitely amazed at the sheer volume of traffic through this station. 31 winners bagged at this little station with its island platform and soon enough 31 became 32 as I hit another hot streak starting with 318262 which was quickly followed by 320414 and 318269 which offered more 2 for the price of 1 in winners as they headed off towards Milngavie. 320413 fell next before I was able to chalk off yet another 334 unit thanks to 040, this becoming the filling to a 320 sandwich as 320306 soon followed

went into the book next as it worked the popular Helensburgh to Edinburgh service before a pair of 320s strolled into platform 2 with both 313 and 301 finding themselves well and truly marked off. 334033 became my 21st winner from this class....surely I couldn't complete a full set in the one trip??

.....but with over half an hour of my planned time left at Hyndland I felt I might be pushing my luck a bit as a few duds rolled by. That said, those 320/318 combos were keeping my fight going with 320411 and 318263 offering yet more success

A quick check on RTT showed that the next train into platform 2 would take me past Yoker, and with @433N's advice about units on death row at the depot there I took a quick decision to jump on board and head for the ride. 334014 and 334038 offered the haulage and I was pleasantly surprised (and relieved) to see that these units have plug sockets available allowing me a chance to add some juice to the phone. The depot itself caught me by surprise as I wasn't sure if it was on the left or right but I did manage to catch 318258 up against the buffers and then 314213 which was sandwiched between 2 other units. In total there were 3 units I'd missed but I wasn't concerned as I could make the return journey and bag them as I went past again......or that was the plan anyway.

I knew it was a tight turnaround at Dalmuir where I alighted, in fact my return train should be in the platform as I arrive. Indeed there was a train where I expected it and with a dash across the footbridge I was able to jump on just as the doors were closing. However, this had meant that I'd been unable to check any form of information as to whether this was actually my required train and as we pulled out I thought it best to check RTT. I am sure this would have worked had I not clicked on the wrong service (but with a similar departure time from Dalmuir) and automatically assumed that I was on the wrong train. Eventually I'd managed to ascertain that I was in fact on the right train but all of my (unnecessary) panicking meant that by the time I'd looked up from my phone we were just passing the buffers of Yoker sidings which meant my chance to nab the remaining 3 units had gone. Anyway, no time to dwell on this as my journey was taking me to Glasgow Queen Street where I was scheduled to spend around 90 minutes and upon alighting on the low level I was able to identify 334023 and 334021 as being my (required for) haulage. I managed to leave the low level platforms at the wrong end had a short work around the corner to the high level which had plenty on offer for easy pickings. My first 170s of the day went into the book as 395 and 410 were sat awaiting their next duties in platform 6 before I got my first sightings of ScotRail's latest units as 385016 and 385109 offered tandem winners as they waited to head back to the Scottish capital. 170416 was sat in platform 3 having arrived ECS from Eastfield Holding Sidings before a further stretch of the legs took me to platform 1 where 385115 was waiting to head out towards Stirling. Whilst over at platform 1, I'd spied a pair of 385s arriving into platform 7 (typical eh?) so I made my way over to the opposite side where I was able to identify 385124 and 385004 before 385117 joined them as it was readied for departure from platform 5 to Edinburgh Waverley

Central had proven to be fruitful when it came to the classic 156 sprinter stock and Queen Street maintained that as 156445 arrived into platform 1 before 158724 timed its arrival into platform 2 perfectly

and 385005 continued the trend of multiples of multiple units working together as did 385104 and 385008 before my biggest surprise of the day came next

Whilst lingering around platform's 4 and 5, I noticed quite a congregation of cleaning staff on platform 7 so I decided to head down to see what all the fuss was about and to make a good day great this was creeping in

Yes, ex GWR HST power car 43147 (dud for sight unfortunately) was rolling up to the buffers having completed its journey from Aberdeen 7 minutes down, meaning a swift turnaround was required. It still gave me plenty of time to head down the platform to not only chalk off the few carriages (all still donning the First Great Western livery) and also to nab the rear power car which was required 43144

After all of this excitement it was back across to platform 1 where 158729 had settled to become my 3rd 158 winner of the day, before I had more sprinter success with a tandem working of 156s in the form of 492 and 500 being ticked off as they arrived from Mallaig. My time at Queen Street was drawing to a close but there was still time for more 385s to head into the book, with 385113 and 385011 working together with the express service from Edinburgh. Not many of these seem to work by themselves but 385105 was doing just that but with nothing showing as due for arrival before my departure, I decided to head down to the low level platforms ready for my train out of there. It proved to be a wise move as I was immediately rewarded with 320401, just identifyinf this as it departed before I was able to add to the long list of 334 winners with 022 and 036 working together on the opposite platform. Instead of catching the shuttle bus between Queen Street and Central, I decided to bag a bit of haulage by heading out to Patrick which I did thanks to 334024 and 334011. Partick only offered a dud 320/318 combo until 318255 arrived to take me back to Central. The service got busier and busier as we closed in on Central and I was certainly happy to alight and head back up to civilisation to obtain my pass for the final hour or so of my day in Scotland.

I knew that Central would be hit and miss after my successes of earlier in the day and my start was made up of a run of duds but this was ended in dramatic fashion with treble the fun as 156478, 156506 & 156507 arrived together from the Corkerhill depot. The 380s had not yet deserted me either as 380010 was chalked off before yet more 156s were added to the list of successes as 508 and 494 arrived onto the scene. There were more and more duds striking now including 314205 seen here departing Glasgow

But 314209 certainly wasn't a dud and neither was 158733 which was just my 4th 158 winner of the day. 156502 was next in the book and was soon followed by a double whammy of 314s as 215 and 214 arrived together from Shields TMD. Considering how good Glasgow had been to me with 156s it was fitting that 156436 and 156514 were to be my final winners of my time in Scotland. There was a run of 9 duds in a row to close out my time at Central but I can't complain too much as that was my longest run of duds through the entire day. 221142 was my steed for the journey home which was a winner for haulage and the trip did yield a couple of winners at Carlisle as 156437 and 156452 were to be the final winners of the day taking my total of 156 winners to 27.

Sight Summary

Haulage Summary

Total Mileage: TBC - railmiles engine doesn't seem to be working at the moment

Sight Summary

Haulage Summary

Total Mileage: TBC - railmiles engine doesn't seem to be working at the moment

All in all a very good and productive day out. One thing that was extremely noticeable was how helpful, polite and friendly every member of ScotRail and Network Rail staff was at every station I visited up there as well as on the trains. I was very impressed with my first visit to Scotland and look forward to a lengthier stay next time I visit.

Thanks as always to everyone who helped with information and advice in the lead up to my day out, it always proves to be invaluable to me in terms of maximising my time on the platform.

And finally Merry Christmas to all on the forum but particularly to those who have taken the time to read and interact with my ramblings.

I will be back before the New Year to do a first ever year end review (probably pinching @palmersears style of reviewing :E)

And a merry Christmas to you Mr. Train sir 8-)

Just noticed that your pics appear in this reply window on my phone :|

Kite159

Veteran Member
Ah good 320401 has entered traffic, that is another one to hunt down at some point.

A productive day in Glasgow, it certainly has a lot of variety

The_Train

Established Member
Just noticed that your pics appear in this reply window on my phone :|

They also appear when I edit the post just not when I actually click post. It is clearly connected to what others have suggested above as I've seen another post where the same issue has occurred.

The_Train

Established Member
A productive day in Glasgow, it certainly has a lot of variety

I would have to say that the variety in Glasgow has outdone anywhere else I've visited so far. Still lots of new places to go to yet though

Established Member
Firstly Merry Christmas to you too Mr Train and secondly, what a cracking day you had.
151 winners, is certainly a good haul and a good start to roping in the Jock Rail stock. A few of the Jock Rail 156s are in and around Newcastle too, as they've been transferred over to Northern, meaning I can go to my local and hunt out the ones i need for haulage.

It's great when you go somewhere where you know the cops will come thick n fast, Glasgow Central and Queen St, can certainly do that. Like you, on my first visit to Hyndland, I was staggered how good it is there, wait till you experience Haymarket at Peak too. Though i'd always advise you to ride the Jock Rail cats on the Fife Circle when in the Scottish Capital.

I'd also forgotten all about the Scotrail zings being up there, bet that cured a bit of unit blindness, well, It is, if your not of the opinion, that an HST, isn't a unit, as I know folk, who still treat them as sucho_O. I may have to find out what coaching stocks went with them, as I still need rafts of GWR HST stock and seen as i clicked a rake of them, when I saw 43035 and 43135 being transferred up, there's obviously a good chance, I'll need some of them too.

Also on the pics front, can you not just upload them off your phone? Hit the upload a file button, click on your gallery and choose a photo.

A great read Mr Train, thank you for sharing but the question is, where next for Mr Train?

The_Train

Established Member
Firstly Merry Christmas to you too Mr Train and secondly, what a cracking day you had.
151 winners, is certainly a good haul and a good start to roping in the Jock Rail stock. A few of the Jock Rail 156s are in and around Newcastle too, as they've been transferred over to Northern, meaning I can go to my local and hunt out the ones i need for haulage.

Merry Christmas. I cleared approx 35% of the ScotRail stuff so not too bad considering how much variation they have up there and the fact I didn't go near Edinburgh. I still think another outing up there has the potential for a good haul, particularly if I head to Haymarket. I've been wondering whether to head into the Newcastle area as I believe there are a few pacers that just stay up there plus it will give me a chance to nab some of the LNER coaching stock that I didn't bother with at Doncaster (not that I'm interested in coaching stock of course haha).

It's great when you go somewhere where you know the cops will come thick n fast, Glasgow Central and Queen St, can certainly do that. Like you, on my first visit to Hyndland, I was staggered how good it is there, wait till you experience Haymarket at Peak too. Though i'd always advise you to ride the Jock Rail cats on the Fife Circle when in the Scottish Capital.

Hyndland was the biggest surprise of the day. Just a constant stream of units coming and going. And yes I shall definitely want to ride a Scottish cat next time I head up there.

I'd also forgotten all about the Scotrail zings being up there, bet that cured a bit of unit blindness, well, It is, if your not of the opinion, that an HST, isn't a unit, as I know folk, who still treat them as sucho_O. I may have to find out what coaching stocks went with them, as I still need rafts of GWR HST stock and seen as i clicked a rake of them, when I saw 43035 and 43135 being transferred up, there's obviously a good chance, I'll need some of them too.

It was a nice surprise to see this. I never gave them a thought at any point until it arrived. Still a bit weird seeing them with just 4 coaches though

Also on the pics front, can you not just upload them off your phone? Hit the upload a file button, click on your gallery and choose a photo.

I believe you can but I wasn't sure if this would overload the forum in some way, particularly if everyone starts to do it?

A great read Mr Train, thank you for sharing but the question is, where next for Mr Train?

I forgot to include that in my last post of the report. It is now included at the bottom.

Thanks for reading :)

433N

Nice read and nice that you finished with 156452 which is a serial avoider for me (although I don't try nearly as hard as I should and take the view that it will catch up with me eventually).

If you look at the 314 withdrawal thread ('in Traction...' ?), it will tell you the 314s at Yoker.

The 156 on the Barrhead service is far more likely (i.e. a certainty). Because I am a bit like that, I always try to match trains I see (and photograph) to services too when I get home and have a bit of spare time. I think it makes a nice record for the future. I am, however, unlikely to ever make sense of the hour that I spent at Clapham Junction in November, particularly since I will probably be there for a bit longer at the end of Feb. In fact, my whole system is falling apart and I still have an afternoon at Man Picc in October to catch up with.

Since I will be in Glasgow at the end of Jan, I'm now planning a couple of hours at Hyndland to try to finish my 318s - but the last time I planned it, the wires were down due to high winds the night before.

Anyway, all the best of the season to you and anyone reading, Mr Train.

The_Train

Established Member
Nice read and nice that you finished with 156452 which is a serial avoider for me (although I don't try nearly as hard as I should and take the view that it will catch up with me eventually).

If you look at the 314 withdrawal thread ('in Traction...' ?), it will tell you the 314s at Yoker.

The 156 on the Barrhead service is far more likely (i.e. a certainty). Because I am a bit like that, I always try to match trains I see (and photograph) to services too when I get home and have a bit of spare time. I think it makes a nice record for the future. I am, however, unlikely to ever make sense of the hour that I spent at Clapham Junction in November, particularly since I will probably be there for a bit longer at the end of Feb. In fact, my whole system is falling apart and I still have an afternoon at Man Picc in October to catch up with.

Since I will be in Glasgow at the end of Jan, I'm now planning a couple of hours at Hyndland to try to finish my 318s - but the last time I planned it, the wires were down due to high winds the night before.

Anyway, all the best of the season to you and anyone reading, Mr Train.

I only tend to look for the services of certain trains when I've taken a photograph of them mainly so I can offer a description to the photo. With regards to anything that is loco hauled, I do tend to record the headcode (even the scrambled ones on RTT) and the service it is running a) because as you say it is a good record of what you've seen and b) I feel it's more likely that someone will want to know the details of a loco hauled move so it gives me a chance to be helpful.

Previously I've just logged the time and then tried to tie this to a service using RTT in the days afterwards but this didn't always work as there could be multiple services arriving at that time. This time around I decided to log the platform they arrived into as well and, despite my little faux pas with the 156s, it worked a lot better. Obviously somewhere like Clapham is probably bordering on impossible to keep track of which train is on what service.

Good luck with those 318s next year and I hope you're having a great festive period thus far.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings and for all of your input

03_179

Established Member
Hope you all have had a good Xmas.

2019 sounds like it'll be a busy old year @The_Train . Let me know when you're down London way.

The_Train

Established Member
Hope you all have had a good Xmas.

2019 sounds like it'll be a busy old year @The_Train . Let me know when you're down London way.

Hope yours was merry as well @03_179.

The South is pretty much untouched (except Reading) so lots to do down there. I will certainly be in touch when I dare to venture to the big city, would be good to have someone in the know with me haha

Status
Not open for further replies.