• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
Good luck to the honourable gentleman in 2019 with the hunt, trainspotting is sure easier than planespotting! Mind you, it's also cheaper to get haulage on trains than planes! However, I still enjoy doing what I do, which is usually pretty clear from my reports at techsworldfrenzy.wordpress.com

Thank you @Techniquest, it's good to see that you're still around the forum and of course frequenting this thread now and again. I can only imagine the difficulties with plane spotting, particularly the cost, compared to train spotting but you'll certainly see lots of more interesting places in your quest than I will whilst trying to spot UK rolling stock. I spent time talking to a chap at Leeds station who was very much like you with regards to plane spotting, in that he travelled the world hunting planes. In fact he had a plan to visit America early this year so may well be there now along with a trip to China around April time....much better than my plan to visit stations in Manchester and Liverpool haha

03_179

Established Member
You mean you haven't read my trip reports thread?

Good luck to the honourable gentleman in 2019 with the hunt, trainspotting is sure easier than planespotting!

Free Android App ... ADSB Flight Tracker ... Very good to overhead spotting

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thank you @Techniquest, it's good to see that you're still around the forum and of course frequenting this thread now and again. I can only imagine the difficulties with plane spotting, particularly the cost, compared to train spotting but you'll certainly see lots of more interesting places in your quest than I will whilst trying to spot UK rolling stock. I spent time talking to a chap at Leeds station who was very much like you with regards to plane spotting, in that he travelled the world hunting planes. In fact he had a plan to visit America early this year so may well be there now along with a trip to China around April time....much better than my plan to visit stations in Manchester and Liverpool haha

That's very true, I have been all over the place with my hobby. More interesting than what I was doing 9 years ago almost to the day (29-30th January 2010) which was chasing HSTs up and down the same bit of track on 29th January in London on an all-nighter before a GC HST to Sunderland and back. A very different life to what I live now, that's for sure, and as much as I shake my head at the memories (especially those from the mid-2000s, but let's not go there...) from that era it all led me to where I am now. Anyway I digress, that train of thought could go on for ages and take this thread VASTLY off-topic!

Yeah I do still semi-regularly pop onto the forum, I don't comment much any more of course. However I have been enjoying reading the tales of someone new to the modern scene and your reports have been really enjoyable reads, so keep them going! I still can't believe I got into the scene over 15 years ago, and in a way your reports take me back in time to when I first started spotting. A very different scene back then it was...

Free Android App ... ADSB Flight Tracker ... Very good to overhead spotting

Cheers, I'll have a look at that!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
So much has changed in 15 years, but again in some areas little has changed.

Areas like the WHL has mostly only changed by means of livery/TOC changes, whereas the GWML has seen a lot more changes, with many other areas seeing already/due to see significant changes. GA, for example, will see huge motive power changes soon as will Northern. Either way, the scene is nothing like it was, whether for good or bad. I do still regret not getting on that 312 I could have got at Liverpool Street many years ago, but I didn't know much at the time so I didn't chance it. Even if I had, a Stratford leap probably wouldn't be remembered now, after all don't forget we were still some way off, in 2004, everyone having a smartphone. I think I still used a Nokia 3310 or similar at the time!

Do excuse this old git for having a trip down Memory Lane...

The_Train

Established Member
Evening folks, thought I'd better check in as not been on here for a while. Hope you are all well?

Had a hellish start to 2019 so I've not been able to get out on my planned days out thus far. I've got a few trips around the Midlands to update you with (hopefully get that done this week) and fingers crossed I should be in a position to get out into some of those untouched areas in the coming weeks/months

Kite159

Veteran Member
Now that winter is coming to an end, the days are getting longer, should be easier for longer trips.

Trying to ID stuff when it's dark is a nightmare at times

DavidGrain

Established Member
Evening folks, thought I'd better check in as not been on here for a while. Hope you are all well?

Had a hellish start to 2019 so I've not been able to get out on my planned days out thus far. I've got a few trips around the Midlands to update you with (hopefully get that done this week) and fingers crossed I should be in a position to get out into some of those untouched areas in the coming weeks/months

Been missing you. Nice to see you back. About to start compiling my list for this year but I am a gricer not a train spotter.

The_Train

Established Member
Now that winter is coming to an end, the days are getting longer, should be easier for longer trips.

Trying to ID stuff when it's dark is a nightmare at times

Yeah I think the winter period hasn't helped either. As you say it reaches a point in the day where there is stuff you just can't ID, plus it's freezing and as I found on a lot of occasions there aren't usually many other people out spotting. I've certainly see an upturn in numbers at the local since the days started to get longer

The_Train

Established Member
Been missing you. Nice to see you back. About to start compiling my list for this year but I am a gricer not a train spotter.

Nice to know I was missed haha.

I always thought a gricer meant a train spotter? Glad to see you'll be back out soon as well

03_179

Established Member
Welcome back 'O Lost of Staffordshire' .....

I'll wave as I pass though Stafford on Saturday to meet SWMBO

DavidGrain

Established Member
Nice to know I was missed haha.

I always thought a gricer meant a train spotter? Glad to see you'll be back out soon as well

A gricer could mean a train spotter but in this context it usually means one who travels on unusual or little used lines.
For example last year because of an unusual diversion I was able to complete every line within the Birmingham city boundary. This included one which is normally used only for ECS workings and one which is normally only used for freight trains.

The really enthusiastic gricers, of which there are several in this forum, go in for micro-gricing which is trying to cover ever track including little used crossovers etc. I don't take it that far although, two years ago, I did complete all four routes in both directions through the Soho Loop in Birmingham. Last month I realised that we were running dead slow on the approach to my local station and looking out of the window I saw that we were running on the down goods loop. By the time I was walking across the station car park I saw the following train due 10 minutes later had caught up and was also slowly running through the goods loop.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Welcome back 'O Lost of Staffordshire' .....

I'll wave as I pass though Stafford on Saturday to meet SWMBO

If there is anything exciting passing through I could be on the platform. Unfortunately you will be on the fasts so I might not spot you haha

The_Train

Established Member
A gricer could mean a train spotter but in this context it usually means one who travels on unusual or little used lines.
For example last year because of an unusual diversion I was able to complete every line within the Birmingham city boundary. This included one which is normally used only for ECS workings and one which is normally only used for freight trains.

The really enthusiastic gricers, of which there are several in this forum, go in for micro-gricing which is trying to cover ever track including little used crossovers etc. I don't take it that far although, two years ago, I did complete all four routes in both directions through the Soho Loop in Birmingham. Last month I realised that we were running dead slow on the approach to my local station and looking out of the window I saw that we were running on the down goods loop. By the time I was walking across the station car park I saw the following train due 10 minutes later had caught up and was also slowly running through the goods loop.

Ah that certainly gives me a better understanding of the term. I wonder if I shall reach those levels of gricing at some time in the future?

I guess you're one of the few who actually enjoys engineering works then as it may throw up a nice diversionary route?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice to see you're still about, sorry to hear 2019 hasn't started well for you though. I know the feeling there, it's certainly not been the year I was planning at the end of 2018 so far!

I look forward to reading more about your adventures when they get posted, I'm fully expecting to be up your way some time in the spring. It was meant to have happened this week, but that clearly didn't! Bring on the better weather I say!

DavidGrain

Established Member
I guess you're one of the few who actually enjoys engineering works then as it may throw up a nice diversionary route?

Yes, last year during the time that Derby station was closed I got a XC train from Birmingham to Sheffield just so that we could be diverted off via Castle Donington, Toton and rejoin the main line at Chesterfield. It also gave me a chance to see the tramtrains in Sheffield although they were still running on test then before the commencement of public running.

The_Train

Established Member
Yes, last year during the time that Derby station was closed I got a XC train from Birmingham to Sheffield just so that we could be diverted off via Castle Donington, Toton and rejoin the main line at Chesterfield. It also gave me a chance to see the tramtrains in Sheffield although they were still running on test then before the commencement of public running.

I did that diversion as well although it wasn't to clear the line, it was to chalk off those pesky 60s stuck in Toton yard

The_Train

Established Member
Nice to see you're still about, sorry to hear 2019 hasn't started well for you though. I know the feeling there, it's certainly not been the year I was planning at the end of 2018 so far!

I look forward to reading more about your adventures when they get posted, I'm fully expecting to be up your way some time in the spring. It was meant to have happened this week, but that clearly didn't! Bring on the better weather I say!

Life never seems simple enough to allow your positive plans to come to fruition does it? Just have to keep at it and not let it grind you down I guess (a lot harder than it sounds I know).

What do you have planned up this way?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Life never seems simple enough to allow your positive plans to come to fruition does it? Just have to keep at it and not let it grind you down I guess (a lot harder than it sounds I know).

What do you have planned up this way?

Harder than it sounds is right, been some rough times in February 2019 here but let's not go there. March hasn't exactly started off the way I planned it to either, but that's all due to change very soon!

Regarding my plans up your neck of the woods, I need that new formation on the Down Slow at Norton Bridge which will eventually be done all being well in the spring. I haven't really formed too much of a plan in Staffordshire yet, I have way too many things to try and get done to firm up plans yet. After all, I was originally going to be on the rails today, but my first chance of a social life in quite some time yesterday got in the way of that. I'm not complaining though, it was a much needed break from what has become the norm here! Besides, I haven't updated my needs lists yet!

The_Train

Established Member
Guys, I need your help once again. I've decided that a last minute day out next Tuesday is required. I've picked out the following possible destinations/areas as potential options:

Bristol/Cardiff mainly to clear Pacers
East Anglia mainly to nab the 90s (also thinking Peterborough to try and finish off the LNER 91s/DVTs)
Manchester/Liverpool mainly for Northern Pacers and also the Merseyrail stuff

Problem is that because it's so close to travel date, advances are seemingly out of the window. I've priced up a trip from Stafford to Cardiff (assuming I can break at Bristol TM) with cheapest on trainsplit coming in about £60 - although this is based on outward travel after 9am which is a bit late.

I've tried to hunt for rovers/rangers but can't really find any that suit (except the Cheshire Day Ranger for Manc/Liv).

Anyone got any ideas on best way to keep costs down on any of these journeys or indeed got any alternative days out that would be pretty new to me (pretty much anywhere in the south)

The_Train

Established Member
Harder than it sounds is right, been some rough times in February 2019 here but let's not go there. March hasn't exactly started off the way I planned it to either, but that's all due to change very soon!

Regarding my plans up your neck of the woods, I need that new formation on the Down Slow at Norton Bridge which will eventually be done all being well in the spring. I haven't really formed too much of a plan in Staffordshire yet, I have way too many things to try and get done to firm up plans yet. After all, I was originally going to be on the rails today, but my first chance of a social life in quite some time yesterday got in the way of that. I'm not complaining though, it was a much needed break from what has become the norm here! Besides, I haven't updated my needs lists yet!

Nothing wrong with a social life coming in front of the hobby, it's good to be sociable whenever you can. If you need any assistance with anything around your plans up this way then let me know

Kite159

Veteran Member
I would probably say Manchester, unless you can get a cheap hotel in London for the night before to make use of the Super Off-peak WMT/LNwR only fare

wireforever

Merseyside saveaway ticket £5.00 valid from Newton le Willows would require change of train at Warrington Bank Quay( large free park and ride at N-L-W station)I know not ideal travelling up the M6 at any time

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Have you looked into the option of coaches for the long distance stuff? Short notice trips will indeed be hard to find Advances for! For Cardiff, it's a long way round granted but could be worth looking via Birmingham and Hereford, although even then that's likrly to weigh in around £50.

Settling for the Merseyside or Manchester option may well be your best bet!

palmersears

Established Member
For such a last minute trip I'd also vote for Manchester and Liverpool. Even if you wait until the Cheshire Day Ranger & Merseyrail Saveaway kick in that'll still give you ample time to visit Merseyrail in the morning (Sandhills for Northern Line and Lime Street or Central for Wirral Line), and then get across to Manchester for the evening rush hour where you can hit Victoria and/or Piccadilly before heading home. Also offers a chance to go passed the intermodal terminal at Ditton (Usually an 08 there), likewise there's usually one visible at the Alstom works just after that. Once you get through South Parkway look out for Edge Hill depot, which has a ton of 195s and 331s on at the moment (not many are easily identifiable as they're either hidden, or only have their carriage numbers on). All these are left-hand side in direction of travel.

From Liverpool to Manchester go via Newton-le-Willows and you will probably get at least a couple of GBRf locos, there's three ex-Colas 60s working out of there at present, and the odd 66.

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks for the info gents. Think I've settled on a Manchester/Liverpool day now and will plan ahead for the longer journeys

The_Train

Established Member
Have you looked into the option of coaches for the long distance stuff? Short notice trips will indeed be hard to find Advances for! For Cardiff, it's a long way round granted but could be worth looking via Birmingham and Hereford, although even then that's likrly to weigh in around £50.

Settling for the Merseyside or Manchester option may well be your best bet!

I've never looked into coaches although I have considered them. However, I feel a train journey to be part of the day out (even if it is a Voyager) so I'm always reluctant to go via coach even though savings can be in the substantial bracket compared to trains

The_Train

Established Member
Finally getting around to catching up with my small railway exploits of 2019 so thought I'd make a quick start on here before the rugby comes on.

I left 2018 behind with a great day in the Glasgow area and had big plans for the start of this year. Unfortunately, things have not played out as expected so I've been restricted to the local and a few jaunts in the Midlands. Anyway, here is a quick look at some of my logs from January......

I didn't give much time for 2019 to settle before I decided a quick trip down to Tamworth was on the cards as 350104 became my first winner for haulage of 2019 back on the 4th January. I stepped up on to the high level platforms and was immediately rewarded with the sight of a XC HST set arriving with 43301 at the helm. This allowed me to chalk off the sets coaching stock but more importantly it saw 43378 head into the book to leave me needing just 43207 to complete the XC HSTs and just a further 2 units to complete the XC fleet in it's entirety. That would prove to be my only success in the first couple of hours until the arrival of 66206 working a Toton to Bescot engineering train. This was quickly followed by 60066 but it would be the final freight train of my time at Tamworth before I could chalk off another winner in the form of 66171. Today's little jaunt was completed by a first trip on 390050 which went into the haulage book for the first time.

My next outing was to the local as there was a move from Norwich Crown Point to Crewe electric which caught my eye on RTT. This move happened to be running very early and it was more by luck than judgement that I left my apartment just in time to see 90009 heading through North Junction just outside Stafford Station. My luck seemed to be in as within half an hour of my arrival I was marking yet another winner off this time in the form of GBRf 66723 has it worked light engine towards the small depot at Longport. My run of a winner every half hour continued when track machine DR98952/DR98902 passed on a run around from and to Wigan. That would prove to be it as far as winners go but 3 successes at the local is now something to shout about.

Next I decided to head back to Leicester where I've had previous successes so on the 11th of January I jumped aboard
350249 for the first time to head south to Nuneaton where I also found myself gaining new haulage on 170111 which took me to Leicester. It was a busy service but I was able to spot an unmarked class 37 sat in Knighton sidings. I made a mental note to do some digging into this later on but before then I was looking for more success at Leicester. My opening winner came in the form of track machine DR72211 which was attached to dud DR72213 in the sidings. One of the reasons I chose to visit Leicester again was that I had 5 gaps in the 222 Meridian fleet and this was quickly reduced to 4 as 222021 was added to the book of winners. The other reason Leicester was chosen was too add some of the EMT coaching stock to my book as I was not marking off these during my previous visit. Ironically my first sighting of a HST set didn't yield any coaching stock winners but it did allow me to chalk off 43081 as it passed by with dud 43043. Next we saw a run of 3 sheds starting with dud 66605 working Theale LaFarge to Hope Sidings before 66727
Maritime liveried 66727 passing Leicester by The_Train,

and 66757 entered the book of winners in quick succession as they crossed each other as they headed in opposite directions
GBRf liveried 66757 passes Leicester by The_Train,

Another Meridian success came next as 222101 arrived ECS to work the next service to Lincoln which was a strange sight considering these are usually worked by 156s. Still I wasn't complaining as this left me requiring just three of this class.
EMT 222101 at Leicester by The_Train

My next winner was 170637 which was a pleasant surprise as this took me to within 2 of completing the XC fleet before I was able to add a full HST set to the book as power cars 43054 and 43089 fell along with their coaching stock. My Meridian requirements continued to tumble and 3 became 2 as 222020 was marked off but the next HST set proved to be an entire dud as was 47812 which arrived back home from Old Dalby. However, she wasn't alone and 57312 did find it's way into the book as they completed their shunt into Leicester L.I.P along with a couple of needed barrier coaches. The 47/57 pairing didn't hang around for long though and no sooner had they shunted into the depot, they were heading back out again.
158783 was next into the book as my trip into the East Midlands continued to pay off before power car 43055 was chalked off, although the rest of this set proved to be dud. A variety of duds passed me by including 222s and a 170 along with 37800 which was obviously back to its best after my previous sighting as it arrived back to depot having run all the way from Carlisle. Even though the next HST set consisted of dud power cars it did allow me to nab another batch of coaches but no such luck with the next one which yielded no success except for a photo of dud 43054 which was partnered by 43089
East Midlands Trains 43054 at Leicester by The_Train

47812 and 57312 then made their return and they had a pleasant surprise for me as they'd been to fetch the 37 I spotted in the sidings outside Leicester earlier in the day. It was a forlorn looking beast with its paint stripped and no numbers marked on its body but after a bit of digging on here, our fantastic little community came to my rescue and I was able to ID it as 37188. Next
222008 took the Merdian requirements down to just 1 but with time ticking on my time at Leicester it was looking like I might be left in limbo in terms of clearing this class. 158866 was next into the book before my fears of being stuck needing one 222 were proven to be unfounded as 222018 arrived to the class clearance klaxons. With a spring in my step now I was happy to see the next pair of dud power cars, particularly as they arrived with required coaches and I was even happier to see the next set as it was lead by required 43052 along with another batch of required coaching stock. 43047 was dud at the other end but we can't have everything can we? I was getting close to my departure, my freezing body was telling me if nothing else, but there was still time for more shed fun. An STP had appeared on RTT working from Toton to Whitemoor and it transpired to be headed by required 66773 before I bagged another 66/6 as 66601 worked the regular Dagenham to Hope run but that would be my lot as far as Leicester was concerned as 170637 arrived to take me back into the West Midlands. I wasn't at Nuneaton for very long but I did get to see the Royal 67s - 005 and 006 - working from Wembley to Crewe Electric before more new haulage, in the form of 221107 and 221110, took me back home.

Final one for now was a drive I had to make to the Birmingham area on 15th January which took me past Bescot where I was able to ID 66774 as it was sat in the yard awaiting it's next job. I did venture to the local that afternoon but my few hours there yielded no success.

I will be back soon to get my January update complete but I'm off to check on the Saturday sport first

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Looks like you had an enjoyable day at Leicester, but what news of the mystery 37???

And I see you're a member of the 'count both units even though I've only travelled on one of them' club. Not too late to change your mind and become a 'purist'! (Actually, the true purist would only count the individual vehicle they are in, but this requires even more jumping about at intermediate stations to scratch everything!) (Actually, actually, the even truer purist wouldn't bother with units at all and only do locos.)

Looking forward to the next installment...

Status
Not open for further replies.