• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Far north 37

Established Member
Wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong as I was travelling in the opposite direction and had to wedge my face against the window to try and ID the loco.......either way it was definitely DRS liveried. Thanks for the info mate.
68009 was definitely the only drs liveried loco working chiltern services that day as mentioned above 68005 isn't fitted with the right equipment to work push pull services.
Just thought id mention it incase it was another tick in the book.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
68009 was definitely the only drs liveried loco working chiltern services that day as mentioned above 68005 isn't fitted with the right equipment to work push pull services.

Bit late with my response here but the DRS liveried 68s are all done for me. Thanks for the information anyway as I always prefer to have my sightings right even if they are dud

The_Train

Established Member
Not sure if you have seen this already but 68033 should be working the return Easter Highlander today passing Stafford at 19:30
RTT link: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/tra...M_lJlOHpdK4m_SaaaE-AOWkBowGBb0YhFaxAO6D_NwkR4
Hope this is of use to you
Brandan

Once I found out that it was 68033 hauling this service through Stafford, I didn't bother with it (although I did see the top half of it as it passed my house on this run). I believe this was hauled by a pair of 37s from Carlisle which would have been much nicer to see.

Thanks for the heads up though, always appreciated

The_Train

Established Member
Afternoon folks, going through another dry period when it comes to getting out and about. Did venture to the local the other week but to no avail and because of this I am spending less and less time there. Unfortunately all of my untouched areas are a good jaunt away and good jaunts away come at a cost which is not easy to find right now.

However, I am plotting a trip towards the North East to try and bag some of the Heaton based DMUs whilst also trying to clear up some of the LNER stuff I still need (have any withdrawals begun with these yet?). At the moment, I am considering York as I can make it work financially by going via Tamworth and I thought I may be able to break the day up with a trip to the NRM - do a good chunk of the Heaton based DMUs venture to York?

cactustwirly

Established Member
Afternoon folks, going through another dry period when it comes to getting out and about. Did venture to the local the other week but to no avail and because of this I am spending less and less time there. Unfortunately all of my untouched areas are a good jaunt away and good jaunts away come at a cost which is not easy to find right now.

However, I am plotting a trip towards the North East to try and bag some of the Heaton based DMUs whilst also trying to clear up some of the LNER stuff I still need (have any withdrawals begun with these yet?). At the moment, I am considering York as I can make it work financially by going via Tamworth and I thought I may be able to break the day up with a trip to the NRM - do a good chunk of the Heaton based DMUs venture to York?

Nope, but it starts later this month, 15th of May is the date of LNER IET operations beginning.

The_Train

Established Member
Nope, but it starts later this month, 15th of May is the date of LNER IET operations beginning.

Thanks mate.
I assume for every IET that enters service an old set will be withdrawn? Do we know if the HSTs will be first or will it be a bit of everything as necessary?

cactustwirly

Established Member
Thanks mate.
I assume for every IET that enters service an old set will be withdrawn? Do we know if the HSTs will be first or will it be a bit of everything as necessary?

Yes pretty much, the IETs will go over and replace a whole diagram, which frees up a 91/HST.

It's intially 25% of the MK4s, until September, then all of the HSTs then the rest of the Mark 4s in the new year

The_Train

Established Member
Yes pretty much, the IETs will go over and replace a whole diagram, which frees up a 91/HST.

It's intially 25% of the MK4s, until September, then all of the HSTs then the rest of the Mark 4s in the new year

Thanks again, I will keep a close eye on the thread for the withdrawal process (which I've just found haha).

Time is of the essence now

xotGD

Established Member
You'll see more Heaton 142s at Sheffield or Leeds than York. You really need to get up to Teesside or Newcastle to see them in decent numbers.

The_Train

Established Member
You'll see more Heaton 142s at Sheffield or Leeds than York. You really need to get up to Teesside or Newcastle to see them in decent numbers.

That's what I'd thought re Newcastle. I will have to check on the costs of travelling that little bit further me thinks

433N

Following on from xotGD (and no disrespect intended) but are there actually that many 142s working services around Newcastle now ? Anyone been recently ?

I'm pretty sure that 156s now do alot of the work that pacers were on and my impression was that many have now been transferred south ... but I haven't been. I might take a trip to NCL myself if there are still loads of pacers knocking about.

Andy Pacer

Established Member

I saw 68009 (Titan) the other day and its '9' on the front has a little bit missing and does look like a '5' when it is approaching, so perhaps this was the confusion!

The_Train

Established Member
Following on from xotGD (and no disrespect intended) but are there actually that many 142s working services around Newcastle now ? Anyone been recently ?

I'm pretty sure that 156s now do alot of the work that pacers were on and my impression was that many have now been transferred south ... but I haven't been. I might take a trip to NCL myself if there are still loads of pacers knocking about.

I'd be interested to know, if anyone can clarify this. Would probably be a decider as to whether I head up there or not

The_Train

Established Member
I saw 68009 (Titan) the other day and its '9' on the front has a little bit missing and does look like a '5' when it is approaching, so perhaps this was the confusion!

I never doubted my eyes......honestly ;):E

DRS are just keeping us on our toes obviously

The_Train

Established Member
Another option would be to do a day at Bristol Temple Meads (with a visit to Cardiff) thrown in to try and clear some of the GWR Pacer stock. Looking at diagrams, if I did this on Friday there could be lots of HST haulage for me which would be a nice bonus

Mills444

Another option would be to do a day at Bristol Temple Meads (with a visit to Cardiff) thrown in to try and clear some of the GWR Pacer stock. Looking at diagrams, if I did this on Friday there could be lots of HST haulage for me which would be a nice bonus
Sorry to be annoying but all pad-Bristol and Wales stuff is IET and Pacers are only concentrated in Devon however there will be an fair amount of turbos in Bristol

The_Train

Established Member
Sorry to be annoying but all pad-Bristol and Wales stuff is IET and Pacers are only concentrated in Devon however there will be an fair amount of turbos in Bristol

I'd hoped some of the Pacers would make it as far as Bristol. Makes it a bit harder to nab these before they disappear if they just work in Devon (as much as I love Devon haha).

My HST reference was more to do with my journeys to and from Bristol. If I time things right I could get a XC HST in both directions on a Friday. Plus don't the shortened GWR HST sets work into Cardiff as well?

DavidGrain

Established Member
Last day of operation for the GWR HSTs will be May 18 and I suspect that will be a special 'last day' operation so the HSTs are likely to have been phased out before then. The diagrams for the HSTs that day have been posted somewhere on this forum but I have forgotten where.

Mills444

I'd hoped some of the Pacers would make it as far as Bristol. Makes it a bit harder to nab these before they disappear if they just work in Devon (as much as I love Devon haha).

My HST reference was more to do with my journeys to and from Bristol. If I time things right I could get a XC HST in both directions on a Friday. Plus don't the shortened GWR HST sets work into Cardiff as well?
Ah yes I forgot about the castle sets, the XC HST's on this thread https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/cross-country-hst-diagrams.178989/
Regarding the pacers they all operate through St David's thought their diagram at least once so an few hours there should get most of the ones in operation and their is also the depot where they are based next to the station so you maybe able to get a couple of them on there.

xotGD

Established Member

Good point regarding 142s at Newcastle. However I believe Mr Train also requires most if not all Heaton 156s for sight so would still have a productive day. He might even be tempted to pop downstairs to spot some Metro cars...

Kite159

Veteran Member
Although the best place for some Metro cars will be somewhere like Gateshead Stadium where its out in the open and he might be able to spot the odd service passing on the NR lines.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Although the best place for some Metro cars will be somewhere like Gateshead Stadium where its out in the open and he might be able to spot the odd service passing on the NR lines.

+1 for Gateshead Stadium, and it's ideal for spotting as it's an island platform. That being said, Heworth isn't too bad for that. Park oneself at the Newcastle end of the mainline platform and all the Metro stuff can be seen as well as mainline stuff more easily. The good sir can also avoid enduring Metro from the city centre that way too and ride out to Heworth on a Northern service.

xotGD

Established Member
+1 for Gateshead Stadium, and it's ideal for spotting as it's an island platform. That being said, Heworth isn't too bad for that. Park oneself at the Newcastle end of the mainline platform and all the Metro stuff can be seen as well as mainline stuff more easily. The good sir can also avoid enduring Metro from the city centre that way too and ride out to Heworth on a Northern service.
There might even be some freight to photograph heading through Heworth. 60s on biomass?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
There might even be some freight to photograph heading through Heworth. 60s on biomass?

Couldn't tell you, I've not been up that part of the world for a couple of years now. Biomass trains get up to a fair bit of tonnage don't they? If so a 60 on a heavy freight does make a nice bit of noise!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'd advise against Gateshead Stadium to be honest. I've used it and the other above ground stations on the core many times and Gateshead Stadium is probably the one that attracts the most 'unsavoury' people. Heworth isn't the nicest of stations and doesn't really give you an uninterrupted view so my suggestion would be to use one of Felling or Pelaw. Gateshead Stadium platforms are quite cluttered too but there's plenty of room on Felling and Pelaw stations (away from the steps) to observe.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd advise against Gateshead Stadium to be honest. I've used it and the other above ground stations on the core many times and Gateshead Stadium is probably the one that attracts the most 'unsavoury' people. Heworth isn't the nicest of stations and doesn't really give you an uninterrupted view so my suggestion would be to use one of Felling or Pelaw. Gateshead Stadium platforms are quite cluttered too but there's plenty of room on Felling and Pelaw stations (away from the steps) to observe.

I had no problems at Gateshead Stadium, but to be fair I was only there for around 25 minutes in the morning peak a couple of years back scoring Metro sets for haulage on the way home.

Felling isn't a bad call, same for Pelaw. Must admit I forgot they're east of Heworth so you still get a decent variety of sets.

Of course, we're also forgetting that the honourable gentleman has probably not covered any of the Metro before. Therefore going exploring the network would certainly net him quite a bit anyway, and even if it's just a trip to North Shields, ferry over to South Shields and back to town it would get a good bit of exploring done. This is @47403 's territory so he would be better placed to comment.

Finally of course Heaton needs mentioning. From memory Chillingham Road is rather close to it and @The_Train may want to see what's on there.

Established Member
Sorry been busy, not had much chance to look at Railway related stuff.
As regards to any impending trip up to my neck of the woods, I'm happy to help with any queries you have Mr Train.
Heworth Station is fine. Best vantage point is on the ramp just on the Newcastle bound platform. Gives you an overview of both platforms and metros coming and going into Heworth Metro station. There's a few biomass trains a day back n forth but they pass through Newcastle too. Most of the GBRf turns from Tyne Dock to Drax tend to go via the Durham Coast these days so get to East Boldon for them. Check Real time trains though, just don't go on the hope you'll see one. You could be there ages and see nowt. If you go on the right day you may even get to see the flasks from Sellafield-Seaton-Sellafield been a lot of 88s on it or 68/88 combos, they used go through Heworth around 2pm but it also goes past the Metro centre too bypassing Newcastle, through where Gateshead Shed used to be and down onto the Tyne Valley line. As I've said, I've seen nowt lately so best check Realtime Trains. Also the Seaham-Oxwellmains Cement, normally a Colas 70, however that does go through Newcastle too. On an evening, again depending if its running theres the Jarrow Oil Tanks or JOT as it's known locally, booked solid for a DB 60. Thats around 7pm, theres also a GBRf turn from Blyth to West Burton, again check RTT to check both are running but the West Burton turn will go through Newcastle too.
About 1pm at Newcastle, there'll be the Mossend-Tees containers go through, not sure of the time but there's also the Donnie - Millerhill engineers train, used to be an 88 but I think Colas have it now. Seen pictures of 70809 on it the other day.
A nexus Day Rover ticket is about £7.80, that'll get you unlimited travel anywhere on the metro and bus, plus can be used from Newcastle to the Metrocentre and from Newcastle to Sunderland on Northern. May get you some bouncing bomb or 156 action. Sunderland's a gloomy station mind but if you time it right you may well see a Grand Central 180 in there either arriving from or off to Kings Cross.
What I may suggest is trying breaking the journey up at Darlington. There's usually about 4 bouncing bombs traversing the lines from there to Middlesbrough and Saltburn.
There's the odd freight passes through there too. Also on the right hand side as you arrive into Darlo there's usually a Robel parked up there.
Any further help just gis a shout Mr Train or anyone else for that matter. If I can't help, i'll probably know someone who will.

Last edited:

DanNCL

Established Member
Pelaw between 16:00 and 18:00 would probably be a good idea, it's an island platform and will probably get you the vast majority of if not all of the Metro units that are in service that day, along with the odd Northern service.

For 142s out of Newcastle, the 17:23 Newcastle - Stockton is almost always a 142, and the 12:16 Newcastle - Carlisle always used to be a 142 but I think that one might now be a 156. 142s are indeed becoming rarer out of Newcastle, but I think they're still the primary traction on the Tees Valley line.

158s do have booked workings from Newcastle now, usually two of them will be in service per day and work Newcastle - Carlisle and Newcastle - Morpeth services. Most Northern services in the North East are worked by 156s now and whilst it is mainly the Heaton allocated units, Newton Heath 156s do sometimes appear too.

For spotting on the ECML, my recommendation would be Manors as it's got an island platform and the line speed is still fairly low (about 40 mph iirc).

For spotting in the Teesside area I'd recommend Thornaby or Eaglescliffe as both have island platforms, and the former will also allow you to see freights entering and exiting Tees Yard. Darlington also wouldn't be a bad place to spot either, there's a good spot at the south end of platforms 1 and 2 that'll let you see everything passing through the station, and with the exception of one LNER service in the morning, and a very small number of TPE services during the day, all passenger services that pass through Darlington also stop there.

Regarding ticketing, if you're just staying within Tyne & Wear I'd recommend a Nexus Day Rover, National Rail ticket offices don't sell them but you can buy them from a Metro TVM (on the machines as a Network One day rover) for £7.80, and that covers all of Metro, all buses within Tyne & Wear, Northern for Sunderland - Heworth - Newcastle - Dunston - Metrocentre - Blaydon, and the Shields Ferry between North Shields and South Shields. The Nexus Day Rover doesn't have any peak restrictions either so can be used all day. If you want to roam a larger part of the North East I'd recommend a Tyne & Tees Day Ranger, which for £24.40 (£15.45 with a railcard) and is valid from 09:00 on weekdays (and all day at weekends), here's the validity map for it (from railrover.org):
tyne_tees_day_ranger.gif

Alternatively, if you have a few days available and want to expand the area you're covering you can get a North East rover, the 4 in 8 day version costs £104.20 (£68.80 with a railcard), and the 7 day version costs £119.70 (£79 with a railcard), and covers Yorkshire in addition to the North East. Same peak restrictions as the Tyne & Tees Day Ranger, valid from 09:00 (all day at weekends). Here's the validity map for it (again from railrover.org):
north_east_rover.gif

I'm probably not as knowledgable as some posters here but I hope what I've posted is helpful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.