• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'd hoped some of the Pacers would make it as far as Bristol. Makes it a bit harder to nab these before they disappear if they just work in Devon (as much as I love Devon haha).

My HST reference was more to do with my journeys to and from Bristol. If I time things right I could get a XC HST in both directions on a Friday. Plus don't the shortened GWR HST sets work into Cardiff as well?

Yep, a lot of the Cardiff - Taunton diagrams are now 2+4 mini HSTs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
158s do have booked workings from Newcastle now, usually two of them will be in service per day and work Newcastle - Carlisle and Newcastle - Morpeth services. Most Northern services in the North East are worked by 156s now and whilst it is mainly the Heaton allocated units, Newton Heath 156s do sometimes appear too.

Slightly off topic I know, but do Heaton do any maintenance on 158s or is it just stabling?
Are there set 158s, or are they rotated round Neville Hill?

Although St Phillips Marsh has 165s & 166s allocated, their turbos can sometimes be seen operating around Reading, and vice versa, so I was wondering how rigid the 158 allocation was at Heaton.

DanNCL

Established Member
Slightly off topic I know, but do Heaton do any maintenance on 158s or is it just stabling?
Are there set 158s, or are they rotated round Neville Hill?

Although St Phillips Marsh has 165s & 166s allocated, their turbos can sometimes be seen operating around Reading, and vice versa, so I was wondering how rigid the 158 allocation was at Heaton.
The 158s seem to just be working as one fleet and are all being rotated round Neville Hill, though officially some are allocated to Heaton. The two diagrams for them in the North East both involve stabling at Carlisle (one diagram starts Carlisle ends Heaton, the other starts Heaton ends Carlisle), so what usually happens is the unit will head up the S&C to Carlsile one evening, work one diagram in the NE ending up at Heaton the next day, then the following day the other NE diagram ending up at Carlisle, and then the following morning it'll head back down the S&C. I think that changes with the new timetable in a couple of weeks though, as the Metrocentre terminating services are all extended to Carlisle during the day in the new timetable, and if I remember correctly 142s will no longer be used on Newcastle - Carlisle services in the new timetable too.

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks for all of the advice as always guys. Think I'm going to give the North East a go with an initial plan to go next Tuesday.

Just got to figure out the best (and by that I mean cheapest) way of travelling up there. My first efforts on trainsplit seem to be giving me an outward journey via Stockport and Sheffield and a return journey via Doncaster (which according to RTT is a LNER HST set - bonus if true) and Stockport as the cheapest option. I've also tried via Tamworth but that's a bit more expensive and would be a trek on a XC Voyager.......

xotGD

Established Member
A few more tips for a journey to The Toon:

Look out on the left on approach to York for stabled locos and freight waiting to come off the avoider. In the station look right for a possible 68 stabled in the bays, then look left again for the NRM (Deltic and kettles if you are lucky) and stuff in the yards (including the yellow stuff you spot).

Then on the 4 - track section keep your eyes peeled for passing freight as it is possible to get the numbers.

North of Darlington you have Ferryhill yard on the right - might be something there then the gorgeous view as you approach Durham.

Tyne Yard is on the left - stuff to see there including some stored Azumas, but also look out for The Angel of the North on the right.

The_Train

Established Member
A few more tips for a journey to The Toon:

Look out on the left on approach to York for stabled locos and freight waiting to come off the avoider. In the station look right for a possible 68 stabled in the bays, then look left again for the NRM (Deltic and kettles if you are lucky) and stuff in the yards (including the yellow stuff you spot).

Then on the 4 - track section keep your eyes peeled for passing freight as it is possible to get the numbers.

North of Darlington you have Ferryhill yard on the right - might be something there then the gorgeous view as you approach Durham.

Tyne Yard is on the left - stuff to see there including some stored Azumas, but also look out for The Angel of the North on the right.

Thanks mate, this sort of information always comes in handy as I never know which side yards and depots will be.

As I've said, I'm currently planning this for next Tuesday but having checked RTT for today it appears most of the freight paths through Newcastle didnt run. Are there any days generally renowned as being better than others up that way or is freight hit and miss through Newcastle?

palmersears

Established Member
There are 15 regular freight paths through Newcastle itself on a Tuesday, but a lot of that is the biomass which is a bit erratic in terms of regularity. Wednesday is marginally better, but it's not really that busy a place for freight.

The_Train

Established Member
Pelaw between 16:00 and 18:00 would probably be a good idea, it's an island platform and will probably get you the vast majority of if not all of the Metro units that are in service that day, along with the odd Northern service.

For 142s out of Newcastle, the 17:23 Newcastle - Stockton is almost always a 142, and the 12:16 Newcastle - Carlisle always used to be a 142 but I think that one might now be a 156. 142s are indeed becoming rarer out of Newcastle, but I think they're still the primary traction on the Tees Valley line.

158s do have booked workings from Newcastle now, usually two of them will be in service per day and work Newcastle - Carlisle and Newcastle - Morpeth services. Most Northern services in the North East are worked by 156s now and whilst it is mainly the Heaton allocated units, Newton Heath 156s do sometimes appear too.

For spotting on the ECML, my recommendation would be Manors as it's got an island platform and the line speed is still fairly low (about 40 mph iirc).

For spotting in the Teesside area I'd recommend Thornaby or Eaglescliffe as both have island platforms, and the former will also allow you to see freights entering and exiting Tees Yard. Darlington also wouldn't be a bad place to spot either, there's a good spot at the south end of platforms 1 and 2 that'll let you see everything passing through the station, and with the exception of one LNER service in the morning, and a very small number of TPE services during the day, all passenger services that pass through Darlington also stop there.

Regarding ticketing, if you're just staying within Tyne & Wear I'd recommend a Nexus Day Rover, National Rail ticket offices don't sell them but you can buy them from a Metro TVM (on the machines as a Network One day rover) for £7.80, and that covers all of Metro, all buses within Tyne & Wear, Northern for Sunderland - Heworth - Newcastle - Dunston - Metrocentre - Blaydon, and the Shields Ferry between North Shields and South Shields. The Nexus Day Rover doesn't have any peak restrictions either so can be used all day. If you want to roam a larger part of the North East I'd recommend a Tyne & Tees Day Ranger, which for £24.40 (£15.45 with a railcard) and is valid from 09:00 on weekdays (and all day at weekends), here's the validity map for it (from railrover.org):
tyne_tees_day_ranger.gif

Alternatively, if you have a few days available and want to expand the area you're covering you can get a North East rover, the 4 in 8 day version costs £104.20 (£68.80 with a railcard), and the 7 day version costs £119.70 (£79 with a railcard), and covers Yorkshire in addition to the North East. Same peak restrictions as the Tyne & Tees Day Ranger, valid from 09:00 (all day at weekends). Here's the validity map for it (again from railrover.org):
north_east_rover.gif

I'm probably not as knowledgable as some posters here but I hope what I've posted is helpful :)

It's more than helpful. Being able to call on people on here is what makes my days out so good. Yes, sometimes it's nice to explore and get to know areas yourself but when money is tight and outings are not all that regular I need to maximise my days and this sort of information is what allows me to do that so thanks for taking the time to pass on your knowledge

The_Train

Established Member
Sorry been busy, not had much chance to look at Railway related stuff.
As regards to any impending trip up to my neck of the woods, I'm happy to help with any queries you have Mr Train.
Heworth Station is fine. Best vantage point is on the ramp just on the Newcastle bound platform. Gives you an overview of both platforms and metros coming and going into Heworth Metro station. There's a few biomass trains a day back n forth but they pass through Newcastle too. Most of the GBRf turns from Tyne Dock to Drax tend to go via the Durham Coast these days so get to East Boldon for them. Check Real time trains though, just don't go on the hope you'll see one. You could be there ages and see nowt. If you go on the right day you may even get to see the flasks from Sellafield-Seaton-Sellafield been a lot of 88s on it or 68/88 combos, they used go through Heworth around 2pm but it also goes past the Metro centre too bypassing Newcastle, through where Gateshead Shed used to be and down onto the Tyne Valley line. As I've said, I've seen nowt lately so best check Realtime Trains. Also the Seaham-Oxwellmains Cement, normally a Colas 70, however that does go through Newcastle too. On an evening, again depending if its running theres the Jarrow Oil Tanks or JOT as it's known locally, booked solid for a DB 60. Thats around 7pm, theres also a GBRf turn from Blyth to West Burton, again check RTT to check both are running but the West Burton turn will go through Newcastle too.
About 1pm at Newcastle, there'll be the Mossend-Tees containers go through, not sure of the time but there's also the Donnie - Millerhill engineers train, used to be an 88 but I think Colas have it now. Seen pictures of 70809 on it the other day.
A nexus Day Rover ticket is about £7.80, that'll get you unlimited travel anywhere on the metro and bus, plus can be used from Newcastle to the Metrocentre and from Newcastle to Sunderland on Northern. May get you some bouncing bomb or 156 action. Sunderland's a gloomy station mind but if you time it right you may well see a Grand Central 180 in there either arriving from or off to Kings Cross.
What I may suggest is trying breaking the journey up at Darlington. There's usually about 4 bouncing bombs traversing the lines from there to Middlesbrough and Saltburn.
There's the odd freight passes through there too. Also on the right hand side as you arrive into Darlo there's usually a Robel parked up there.
Any further help just gis a shout Mr Train or anyone else for that matter. If I can't help, i'll probably know someone who will.

Thought you'd been a bit quiet just lately. Don't let real life take over the trains ;):E

Thanks for the info as always. Certainly given me plenty to think about. I've now booked tickets so I will be trying to come up with a plan for the day based on my time in the North East. I will post what I come up with later and then allow you and the others to rip it apart and come up with a better plan as you always do :E

The_Train

Established Member
There are 15 regular freight paths through Newcastle itself on a Tuesday, but a lot of that is the biomass which is a bit erratic in terms of regularity. Wednesday is marginally better, but it's not really that busy a place for freight.

On that basis I've stuck to Tuesday then as that day suits me better. It's more about Pacers and the LNER stuff than freight to be honest - enough freight rolls through my local haha

The_Train

Established Member
New flat, work and a few other small things have sadly kyboshed any remote plans I had Mr Train. I could do with a few days on the rails too.

Exciting times though and sounds like you're being kept busy which is always good. The rails will be there still once you have the time again........well they should be anyway

The_Train

Established Member
Right guys, all set for Tuesday now but just wanted to garner a bit of opinion with regards to length of time to hang around certain places. I have my return to Darlington sorted and will top this up with a Tyne/Tees Day Ranger. Based on what you guys have said above, I've planned to spend a bit of time at Darlington when I arrive before heading into Newcastle and then on to Heworth for the Metro stuff.

Is there anywhere else I should consider visiting (bearing in mind that I don't want to be wasting a load of time travelling as this outing is more for the book of sights)? For reference, I arrive into Darlo at 10am and depart Newcastle at 7pm.

Weather is supposed to be nice as well so looking forward to this trip

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Based on what you guys have said above, I've planned to spend a bit of time at Darlington when I arrive before heading into Newcastle and then on to Heworth for the Metro stuff.
I personally think Heworth is your worst bet, with it being the only station on there without an island platform (so there's a good chance you may have some units obscured by others) and it has lots of stuff blocking the view. I highly suggest either Felling or Pelaw as it's easy to see all the heavy rail stuff and you can easily see every Metro. As for times I'd say evening peak would be best as there's many Metro workings that only come out then so maybe 1630 to 1830? I'm sure @DanNCL will know better than me though.

xotGD

Established Member
You could have a run from Darlington to Middlesbrough and back to 'enjoy' some pacer mileage and also see any locos hanging around Thornaby / Tees Yard. Might also be some freight running round the back of Middlesbrough station.

Everything on the left as you travel towards Middlesbrough.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Just beware of some of the locals of Felling, they might ask you for the time to determine you are not local.

One of the few times I've had to press the emergency button when some of the locals decided to go for a walk on the tracks to talk to their mates.

Established Member
Heworth is fine. If you stand half way up the ramp(I usually stand by the grit box, when I go) on the Newcastle side of the platform. That way not only can you see the metros to the left, coming and going, your more elevated too. There won't be a great deal going through the Northern platforms either. Plus you can get a train straight into Central.
Worth noting if you get the metro to Heworth, you'll have to go out the station to get onto the Northern platforms now. They've put a shutter up where you could walk straight onto the platform. Its a 2min walk. After going through the barriers turn left, then left again. You'll see a small fence, on the opposite side of the road, the far left entrance will take you on the aforementioned ramp. Sounds complicated but it's not really.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I've made a brief plan of action for today so will see how it goes. Decided against bothering with any of the Metro stuff......been scared off by talk of feral locals :E

Going to focus on the Northern and LNER stuff so most of my time will be spent at Newcastle. Hopefully I will have a decent write up to follow

Established Member
You'll be fine. Geordies are a hospitable bunch. You may even get people saying hello and asking how you are. That tends to throw some of you Southerners out of kilter.:lol:
I wouldn't recommend answering, whey aye pet to a bloke.:lol:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Heworth is fine. If you stand half way up the ramp(I usually stand by the grit box, when I go) on the Newcastle side of the platform. That way not only can you see the metros to the left, coming and going, your more elevated too. There won't be a great deal going through the Northern platforms either. Plus you can get a train straight into Central.
Worth noting if you get the metro to Heworth, you'll have to go out the station to get onto the Northern platforms now. They've put a shutter up where you could walk straight onto the platform. Its a 2min walk. After going through the barriers turn left, then left again. You'll see a small fence, on the opposite side of the road, the far left entrance will take you on the aforementioned ramp. Sounds complicated but it's not really.

You mean they finally saw the large hole in the revenue protection with any fare dodgers exiting via the northern platform rather than via the ticket barriers? :lol:

DanNCL

Established Member
I personally think Heworth is your worst bet, with it being the only station on there without an island platform (so there's a good chance you may have some units obscured by others) and it has lots of stuff blocking the view. I highly suggest either Felling or Pelaw as it's easy to see all the heavy rail stuff and you can easily see every Metro. As for times I'd say evening peak would be best as there's many Metro workings that only come out then so maybe 1630 to 1830? I'm sure @DanNCL will know better than me though.
Felling and Pelaw are as good as each other for spotting. Would say 16:30 to 18:00 will be sufficient, after 18:00 you'd start to see a lot of the same units appear again rather than new ones.

Just beware of some of the locals of Felling, they might ask you for the time to determine you are not local.

One of the few times I've had to press the emergency button when some of the locals decided to go for a walk on the tracks to talk to their mates.
I'm a local and I've never found Felling to be anywhere near that bad. I've only once had any issues at Felling and that time the solution was simply to board the next service to Pelaw. Jarrow, Regent Centre and Byker are a lot worse for anti social behaviour than Felling is.

So basically I respond to every question with 'why aye pet' and all will be well? That's right isn't it @DanNCL and @47403? ;):E
You probably want to avoid calling a bloke "pet" :lol:

Thanks for the info guys. I've made a brief plan of action for today so will see how it goes. Decided against bothering with any of the Metro stuff......been scared off by talk of feral locals :E

Going to focus on the Northern and LNER stuff so most of my time will be spent at Newcastle. Hopefully I will have a decent write up to follow
The "feral locals" really aren't that bad don't worry :lol:

The_Train

Established Member
Right guys, time to bring my outings up to date starting with the completion of my April outings. There was only the one in April after my last report and it came at the end of the month after seeing a Wetmore to Crewe move on RTT that I'd hoped might be something of interest. It turned out to be a pleasant sight (and sound) as 68018 rolled in to the local with MK2 coach M9526
A big cat at Stafford by The_Train
A big cat at Stafford by The_Train

I didn't hang around too much longer, except to see dud 66426 pass through on an engineers run to Bescot
66426 by The_Train

Full list of logs from 29/04/19:

66: 66426
68: 68018
90: 90041, 90045
220: 220028
221: 221108, 221116, 221117, 221118, 221130, 221142
350: 350105, 350119, 350120, 350126, 350249, 350260
390: 390009, 390010, 390011, 390013, 390042, 390047, 390122, 390127, 390135, 390141, 390154, 390155

So that brings a very quiet April to a close with my final figures looking like this:

For Sight

Winners: 26 (including 6 coaching stock)
Classes completed: N/A
Sub classes completed: N/A

For Haulage

Winners: 10
Total Mileage: 283 miles 73 chains

May reports will start to appear from this evening so hopefully I'll be back up to date very soon

The_Train

Established Member
May started with a couple of outings to the local in the hope of something out of the ordinary turning up. On 9th May a working from Wembley to Crewe caught my eye but it turned out to be dud 92038
92038 at Stafford by The_Train

This started a trend of duds for the hour I was there as 66429 passed by on an engineers to Bescot, 90045 & 90042 headed North with the Scottish containers, 66018 hauled a full load of cars South and 66783 headed towards Garston
GBRf 66783 passes Stafford by The_Train, on Flickr

I returned the following day, again armed with some decent potentials I'd picked out on RTT. I arrived in good time for my first potential, and was able to grab a shot of a very clean looking 390114 as it made a scheduled stop
390114 & 350238 by The_Train

As you can tell, the skies were turning a dark shade of wet but I'd hoped the rain would hold off to allow a decent snap of the inevitable 88 working the Daventry to Mossend Tesco train which was working on a later STP working following coupling issues at Rugby earlier in the morning. However, I was left disappointed when this rolled through...
DRS 66303 by The_Train

The rain started to arrive now so I went to hide in the waiting room and decided to stay here as the Crewe to Bescot working that was due would surely be the same shed as I'd seen just 24 hours previously? Couldn't have been much more wrong as 37059 rumbled through to become my first winner of the month but I was definitely disappointed to miss out on a photo opportunity. I definitely didn't feel like getting wet for the impending Mossend to Daventry containers which had been a pair of 90s every time I'd seen it, but yet again I was left surprised as 66067 made it another winner. A winner at the local is now deemed a massive success and I'd managed 2 in the space of 30 minutes.

Some would say that is the time to cut your losses and head home, but not for me. I actually got chatting to another enthusiast sheltering from the, by now, heavy downpour outside and we shared information on the various tools we used whilst out and about as 90045 & 90042 offered no surprise as they worked towards Scotland. It wasn't long until the next working that I had my eye on came through and a run from Old Dalby to Crewe didn't let me down as 57305 came by dragging 710117 to Crewe. Dud 37611 was at the rear but you can't have everything can you?
Northern Belle liveried 57305 by The_Train

The Crewe to Wembley loco moves had not offered me to much in the way of winners just lately, but just 20 minutes after my last winners dud 90035 came by leading a trio of locos on this very move. Surely the odds were in my favour of grabbing at least one winner from this set of 3, but those odds reduced when dud 92036 appeared as the middle loco before 67021 went into the book as it took up the rear of this working. I did brave the rain to grab a pic but after getting very wet for the cause, I was a little late pressing the button and was left with a photo of the middle and arse end of the 90 and little else. Photography is definitely not my forte! With only a few minutes more passing the next bit of interest came in the form of a Derby RTC to Crewe P.A.D working and even though I kind of expected a track machine, I maintained a little bit of hope it might have been a 37 or 97 working. My expectation was proven right though when required DR98008 trundled through
DR98008 by The_Train

I had planned to leave after this but I'd got talking to a couple of ladies heading deeper into the Midlands who were concerned about which train they needed to catch. I decided to do my good deed for the day by hanging around until their train actually arrived and this allowed me to see dud 66772 on the Clitheroe to Avonmouth cement train
GBRf 66772 by The_Train

My extended stay also allowed me sight of 66187 as it also hauled it's own cement train from Dowlow Briggs to Theale Hope before 66510 on a liner became my final loco of the day. Having seen the ladies onto their train, I decided to brave the weather for my short walk home having had a decent couple of hours at the local.

Figures for these 2 mini outings are below:

For Sight

Winners: 6

Next report due is that of my trip to the North East where I'd set myself a target of 50 winners from locos and units (particularly the Northern Pacers and the last few LNER 43s/91s I need) and as many LNER coaches as possible as I'd not been logging these during my jaunt to Doncaster last year. This one will probably come out in stages as my larger outings usually do to make it more reader friendly......part 1 should appear some time tomorrow

The_Train

Established Member
Tuesday 14th May 2019 - No fog on the Tyne

Part 1 - Crossing the Pennines

It had felt like a while since I had a big outing so having taken on board the advice of folk on here, I decided my next move should be to the North East to try and clear the LNER stock that I have left over along with some more of the Northern Pacers. I'd set myself a target of 50 winners with as much coaching stock on top of that as was possible considering I'd not been logging this during my stint at Doncaster last year.

With my split tickets in hand, it was an early start at the local with me arriving in good time to pick up my Tyne/Tees Ranger. My revised plan of action meant that it would probably be cheaper to just by return tickets but I decided to stick with the ranger to offer any flexibility should anything go wrong during the day. As always at Stafford, no issue in getting the ranger sorted and I was soon armed with my first coffee of the day as I headed across to platform 5 for the first XC service of the day. Bang on time, winner for haulage 220016 arrived for my jaunt to Stockport and it was nice to get onto a Voyager and have a choice of seats. Nothing of note occurred during this journey, except for the fact we ran to time so much so that we were held just outside Kidsgrove to allow 350119 to cross our path as it come off the Crewe line and we were soon arriving into Stockport
XC Voyager 220016 at Stockport by The_Train

I did a quick sweep of Stockport but only found a few Northern duds before TPE 185116 arrived to take me as far as Sheffield on it's Manchester Airport to Cleethorpes working. It was a very cosy service but I did manage to find myself a seat at a table where I immersed myself in a Mumford & Sons album whilst enjoying the scenery on offer outside. Again, nothing of note was spotted on route but there was more to be seen once we arrived into Sheffield
TPE 185116 sits at Sheffield by The_Train

I was still chasing my first winner of the day but just over 90 minutes after departing Stafford, Sheffield came good as 142061 was spotted as we headed into the station. It would be another Pacer next into the book as I caught 144010 as it departed for Leeds attached to dud 144001
A pair of pacers by The_Train

Little else jumped out at me for those remaining few minutes I had at Sheffield, so it was a quick photo of 142061 which was still sat at the buffers as my next haulage rolled into the station
142061 at Sheffield by The_Train

It's always a pleasant sight to see a double Voyager and it was 220019 and 220027, both required for haulage, that would take me even further north. My reserved aisle seat was in 220027 so as it seemed busy, I decided to head for my reserved seat which meant uprooting someone from said seat but such is life :E So we were off and running towards the North East but just as we pulled out of Sheffield, I caught sight of a couple of pacers that had arrived in the bays and one of them was winner 142078. Can't complain at this start to pacer hunting!

This journey threw up a few moments of interest, none more so at Leeds where ex-Scotrail unit 170477 went into the book. Quickly after this was my first sighting of a 90 on the LNER network with dud 90039 on the blocks but 82203 was at the opposite end and suddenly my LNER requirements were narrowed slightly. We pulled up in Leeds with 333011 sat opposite me, to take my 333 requirements down to 4 and talking of taking requirements down, I turned my head just in time to see a XC HST arriving which allowed me to clear 5 more of the XC coaching stock requirements but more importantly, it allowed me to clear 43207 which was not only my final XC HST it was also my 97th and final requirement from the XC fleet - klaxons galore!!!! That wasn't all for Leeds either, as another 170 was found with 170454 falling this time around. I'd not considered our passing of Neville Hill and I very nearly missed it whilst trying to find out which 333 we were crawling past (it was dud 333015) but I did get my attention back just in time to chalk off winner 08690 and dud 37025. There was another gronk on show but there is no way of knowing which it was so that will have to wait for another day.

Leeds had done me proud (as it did during my visit last year) and I was hopeful of a cat or 2 at York. However, this was ruined on approach as we ran parallel with an LNER service which, with a bit of toing and froing allowed me to chalk off all 9 of the coaching stock and see that dud 82209 was at one end. The 91 at the other end remained a mystery although I found out later it was dud 91129 but this dud was the least of my problems as this LNER service blocked my view of anything else within York station :'( However, our trip past the NRM did throw up a winner in the shape of 09017 but there was nothing to see at the Siemens depot which must be one of the most hidden depots in the country. There was nothing more to see so I settled in for the remainder of my journey to Darlington, enjoying a lovely XC coffee whilst pondering what the rest of the day would bring as I arrived into the lovely Darlington train shed for the first time
220027 at Darlington by The_Train

I planned to remain at Darlington for an hour or so as there was a freight movement during that time. Unfortunately there was little to shout about to begin with as dud 142087, at the platform 3 buffers, was the only thing to see as I took in my new surroundings
Northern 142087 at Darlington by The_Train

A quick PNB was followed by a full set of LNER duds but a wander down to the end of platform 1/2 allowed me to mark off DR97501 which was parked up. It wasn't long before the next LNER service arrived, this time the HST set did at least throw up a full set of winners on the coaching stock even if power cars 43367 and 43308 were duds
LNER HST power car 43367 arriving into Darlington by The_Train

I headed into TPE land needing just 6 of their 185 fleet and those arrears were reduced when 185139 arrived with a service from over the Pennines. Not so long after this and I was chalking off yet another pacer as 142026 headed through platform 1 with a service to Saltburn
Northern Rail 142026 leaves Darlington by The_Train

And then, the freight I'd purposely waited for came into the goods line outside the station, where the loco would perform a run around before continuing its journey to Doncaster. Here is 66749 arriving into Darlington
GBRf 66749 pulls into the goods line at Darlington by The_Train

In between that arriving and departing 82214, powered by 91111, came and went with a run to Kings Cross which offered another full set of winners for the coaching stock. My 185 requirements were reduced even further next as 185109 was seen off before dud for sight 142015 arrived into the bays to ready itself for my haulage to Middlesbrough. Before we departed I did manage to grab another batch of coaching stock off an LNER set that was headed up by 91109, with 82215 in support. So it was on board 142015 for my first haulage on a bouncing bomb since my childhood
Northern 142015 at Darlington by The_Train

The reason for my jaunt out to Middlesbrough was to have a look at Tees Yard. I did manage to bag 66183 (thanks to its large number EWS livery) but the DB shed and the other EWS liveried 66 were just too far away to ID. I decided against hanging around Middlesbrough as winner for everything 185144 was already waiting to depart back the way I'd come so I decided on a short hop to Thornaby. Here I settled in the sun and ate my lunch - ham salad sandwiches made by my own fair hand - before 142026 became my 2nd pacer of the day. My arrival back into Darlington was met with the sight of another winning pacer as 142065 went into the book. A few more duds came and went, including 91109 before my next haulage arrived. I had planned to enjoy some LNER electric for my final jaunt to Newcastle but unfortunately a late running service made me decide to jump on a XC service so it was left to dud for everything 221129 to haul me off to the Toon
LNER 91109 by The_Train

So with 18 winners already posted towards my target of 50 (topped up with 41 winners from the LNER coaching stock) I was feeling good as I headed towards Tyneside......but now it's time for food so I shall return with part 2 soon

Established Member
Canny start there Mr Train, good to see you roping in plenty for the Book of sights. Didn't envy the bouncing bomb but if your not used to seeing them, I suppose you gotta try em. Looking forward to the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.