• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Train

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
You should have a bit of a cop fest in Anglia Mr Train. Im certainly jealous of the 37s for haulage.
I readily agree with everyone that your better off hanging around Norwich Ipswich. Ely gets some freight through it at times too. Might be something around March too, isn't whitemoor yard round there too. Might be something GBRf stabled there.
Whilst on the 37s, you'll pass the front of Crown Point, when I went, first day both Gronks were visible at the front of the depot, next day one was but by the end of the day and next day, both were parked round the back of the depot.
AJM580's home turf, so he maybe a good help help too.

xotGD

Established Member
You should have a bit of a cop fest in Anglia Mr Train. Im certainly jealous of the 37s for haulage.
I readily agree with everyone that your better off hanging around Norwich Ipswich. Ely gets some freight through it at times too. Might be something around March too, isn't whitemoor yard round there too. Might be something GBRf stabled there.
Whilst on the 37s, you'll pass the front of Crown Point, when I went, first day both Gronks were visible at the front of the depot, next day one was but by the end of the day and next day, both were parked round the back of the depot.
AJM580's home turf, so he maybe a good help help too.
Yes, you sometimes get freights looped at March, so something to look out for. Last time I went that way there was also a Gronk visible - must have trundled down from Whitemoor for some reason.

The_Train

Established Member
I decided to nip down the local for an hour this afternoon having spotted a move out of Crown Point. With my trip to Anglia just days away, I thought it best to take a glance at this move as it has typically been a GA 90 heading to Crewe Electric and I guess that means it won't be in action on Tuesday when I visit Norfolk and Suffolk.

I arrived with just under an hour to spare and just in time to see dud 66428 head past with a rake of ballast wagons. It did provide an opportunity to grab my first pic of this particular shed though.....
DRS 66428 by The_Train

Another dud quickly trundled by as the much seen 66712 trundled through the up fast line before everyone's favourite Voyager made an appearance on a working to Glasgow Central
VTWC 221101 by The_Train

After another dud shed was logged, along with the usual units we are 'blessed' with through Stafford, I received my bonus for this short stint as 66529 went into the book of sights for the first time as it headed a southbound working to Felixstowe
FLR 66529 by The_Train

That takes me down to just 10 Freightliner sheds required and just 25 to complete the FLR set. 20 minutes later and I was making a dash across the footbridge to platforms 5 and 6, having seen the loco move pathed into the goods loop instead of the through P5 as originally planned. This seemed to catch most of the spotting fraternity, who were out in force today may I add, out but once I'd got my breath back I was able to witness the spectacle of 37409, in all of its BR blue goodness, hauling 90006 to a pause at the signal
GA 90006 by The_Train
37409 at Stafford by The_Train, on Flickr

It felt like a wise thing to do just in case the 90 was a requirement as it's likely to be out of action until after my Anglia trip and I proved myself right for once. That takes my GA 90 requirements down to 10 so if my luck is in on Tuesday.......

The 37 was a fantastic bonus as these 90s sometimes run light on their own to Crewe and the additional shed just topped off a decent hour.

The full list of my logs for the hour is below:

37: 37409
: 66428, 66501, 66509, 66529, 66712
90: 90006
: 220003, 220010, 220023, 220028
221: 221101, 221109, 221113, 221142
350: 350113, 350114, 350116, 350231, 350237, 350242, 350264, 350265, 350373
390: 390002, 390040, 390112, 390119, 390127, 390154, 390155

And to summarise my findings:

For Sight

Winners: 3
Coaching Stock Winners: 0
Classes completed: N/A
Sub classes completed: N/A
T/FOCs completed: N/A
T/FOC sub classes completed: N/A

And my May figures:

For Sight

Winners: 67
Coaching Stock Winners: 177
T/FOCs completed: Cross Country
T/FOC sub classes completed: Cross Country HST Power Cars

For Haulage

Winners: 13
Total Mileage: 503 miles 10 chains

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lovely clip of 37409 The_Train. I’m assuming you took that?

Kite159

Veteran Member
FYI there is a railtour pausing at Stafford on Saturday around 09:40. Most likely Mk1 coaches if you need any of those with some DBC 66s.

The_Train

Established Member
Lovely clip of 37409 The_Train. I’m assuming you took that?

Yeah, I don't usually bother with videos as I only use my phone and the quality isn't great but couldn't resist with this one. Made a good noise as it departed :E

The_Train

Established Member
FYI there is a railtour pausing at Stafford on Saturday around 09:40. Most likely Mk1 coaches if you need any of those with some DBC 66s.

Thanks for the heads up mate. Assume it's this one
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U63643/2019/06/01/advanced

It's interesting that it's pathed through the down fast, yet has a 3 minute dwell in the schedule.

You've also brought it to my mind that when I watched Mayflower pass through recently, I took my pics and then stood back and admired instead of logging the coaching stock (doh!). Must be because I'm just not used to logging coaching stock at the local

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah, I don't usually bother with videos as I only use my phone and the quality isn't great but couldn't resist with this one. Made a good noise as it departed :E
Sounded lovely. I think it was the first 37/4 I had - Glasgow Queen Street to Fort Bill in 88.
Amazing that it’s still doing the same job and looks the same 31 years later!

The_Train

Established Member
Sounded lovely. I think it was the first 37/4 I had - Glasgow Queen Street to Fort Bill in 88.
Amazing that it’s still doing the same job and looks the same 31 years later!

Wow, that's incredible. Was it in the same livery back then or would it have had the good old Regional Railways livery?

I wish now that I'd logged what locos I'd travelled behind when I was younger. Wouldn't be on the scale of some on here but would be nice to know which 37s and 47s I enjoyed haulage behind

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wow, that's incredible. Was it in the same livery back then or would it have had the good old Regional Railways livery?

I wish now that I'd logged what locos I'd travelled behind when I was younger. Wouldn't be on the scale of some on here but would be nice to know which 37s and 47s I enjoyed haulage behind
It was in large logo the same as it is now.
I think we had 3/4 Mk1s, a couple of mk3 sleepers and a BG all in blue and grey.
I wrote about it on my thread a couple of years ago but I can’t find it now to confirm my memories.
Was it called Loch Long back then, or was that a different one?
Scottish 37/4s were a bit thin on the ground in Devon back then!

Edit - Loch Awe(some), not Loch Long.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thanks for the heads up mate. Assume it's this one
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U63643/2019/06/01/advanced

It's interesting that it's pathed through the down fast, yet has a 3 minute dwell in the schedule.

You've also brought it to my mind that when I watched Mayflower pass through recently, I took my pics and then stood back and admired instead of logging the coaching stock (doh!). Must be because I'm just not used to logging coaching stock at the local

It be this one
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53168/2019/06/01/advanced

Pauses for a few minutes to pick up passengers so you should have time to grab the coaching stock

The_Train

Established Member
Pretty much, comes back through Stafford at around 17:55, I assume via the goods loop via the old royal mail platform http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53169/2019/06/01/advanced

Yeah I saw that. UDG is indeed the line that used to serve the now defunct mail platform. Would be interesting if passengers alight onto that platform as I've never seen anyone accessing the footbridge from over there - in fact I'm pretty sure the footbridge goes right across and into the Royal Mail building situated next door. Could be a surprise for the posties when a group of railway passengers appear in the sorting office haha.

Are you on this one Kite? I've just checked and there are still tickets available but I'd have to pay the same price (roughly £90) for joining at Stafford as those who join at Euston which seems a tad unfair to me

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yeah I saw that. UDG is indeed the line that used to serve the now defunct mail platform. Would be interesting if passengers alight onto that platform as I've never seen anyone accessing the footbridge from over there - in fact I'm pretty sure the footbridge goes right across and into the Royal Mail building situated next door. Could be a surprise for the posties when a group of railway passengers appear in the sorting office haha.

Are you on this one Kite? I've just checked and there are still tickets available but I'd have to pay the same price (roughly £90) for joining at Stafford as those who join at Euston which seems a tad unfair to me

Stafford isn't a drop off heading south, any Stafford passengers will have to alight at Crewe. Aye I'm on it in the posh seats, welcome to the world of railtours which do tend to be the same price regardless where folk board as the 'main event' is after Stafford.

All day gricers tour, all be it with a 15 minute break in Chester. I need to remember to get cash out in the event that Sainsburys at Euston is bare bones on Saturday morning.

(The days of me doing all day tours on those god awful bench seats in standard class are mostly over)

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Stafford isn't a drop off heading south, any Stafford passengers will have to alight at Crewe. Aye I'm on it in the posh seats, welcome to the world of railtours which do tend to be the same price regardless where folk board as the 'main event' is after Stafford.

All day gricers tour, all be it with a 15 minute break in Chester. I need to remember to get cash out in the event that Sainsburys at Euston is bare bones on Saturday morning

Yeah just seen in the timetable that it does Stafford and misses Crewe outward and then swaps for the return. Assume that's so it can head down the UDG line at Stafford as part of the route.

I kind of get the pricing I suppose as if you are going on a tour like this you're not doing it for the journey from London to Crewe along the well used WCML, irrelevant of where you join the train.

I need to bookmark the rail tours pages and keep an eye on them as I only ever hear about them through people's reports on here and I'd like to try something like this in the future. Unfortunately, I've just spent my monthly rail allowance on the trip to Anglia :lol:

I look forward to your trip report though :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yeah just seen in the timetable that it does Stafford and misses Crewe outward and then swaps for the return. Assume that's so it can head down the UDG line at Stafford as part of the route.

I kind of get the pricing I suppose as if you are going on a tour like this you're not doing it for the journey from London to Crewe along the well used WCML, irrelevant of where you join the train.

I need to bookmark the rail tours pages and keep an eye on them as I only ever hear about them through people's reports on here and I'd like to try something like this in the future. Unfortunately, I've just spent my monthly rail allowance on the trip to Anglia :lol:

I look forward to your trip report though :)

There is a BLS tour to Portsmouth from Stafford in August with 3x 37s, with an option of a trip to the island to sample some 483 based fun

keith1879

No problem, it's one of the reasons that I try to log everything I see (even if the Pendos and Voyagers are stuff I see everyday) to assist others who might be searching for particular units/locos.

I've not logged 220018 since that last sighting you quoted but a quick check on train logger shows that it's very much out and about. It's been spotted most days throughout this year and the last week or so have seen it sighted at stations along the North East-South West route
The thing is I'm very part time ....i just look at the trains when I happen to be using them (which is fairly often) and have managed to clear several classes like that - TP185s, Pendolinos, Class 175s for example but despite that fact that I see Voyagers in lots of places that one continues to frustrate me. One day ..........

The_Train

Established Member
There is a BLS tour to Portsmouth from Stafford in August with 3x 37s, with an option of a trip to the island to sample some 483 based fun

Thanks for that Kite, definitely of interest particularly as it heads through Wembley and Eastleigh yards.

The 2 additional items that stand out are the trip to Eastleigh or the venture to ride the 483s. Don't think I've ever been on a hovercraft so I think this option is looking like the one I'd go for.

Are you planning on doing this one?

The_Train

Established Member
The thing is I'm very part time ....i just look at the trains when I happen to be using them (which is fairly often) and have managed to clear several classes like that - TP185s, Pendolinos, Class 175s for example but despite that fact that I see Voyagers in lots of places that one continues to frustrate me. One day ..........

It will come along when you least expect it. Clearing classes whilst only doing the hobby part time is pretty impressive though. Guess it is a bonus of regular train travel though

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If you do that charter to Pompey, I HIGHLY recommend the hovercraft journey. It's not the cheapest way over to the Isle of Wight, but by a LONG way the most enjoyable and the fastest. They're fun just to watch arrive and depart, and they make one heck of a noise during the journey. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience on, and think of it what you will, how I would describe as the man's way to get to the island. Proper loud thrashy beasts, phwoar! :D

*Ahem* Now I've expressed that, let's get back to the trains! Nice work on getting a winning 90, and that 37 was nicely noisy too. Ooh that was fun to listen to! I reckon you're going to love your visit to Anglia, so much to see that you'll need. And when you one day make it to London for a full-on score fest you'll certainly be busy!

Oh, and from memory if you alight at Diss for a score of a 90, I believe you're best off in coach E or F for quick access to the footbridge. To ID the 90 coming the other way you'll have to be right at the London end of the northbound platform to get the number. There's also a nice little pub on the London platform should a beer take your fancy, and from memory the coffee from the little cafe is also pretty reasonable.

This is of course assuming you take advantage of a ride to Diss, which I assume you will given the 90s will give way to the new trains fairly soon. Won't be much longer until the MK3s go away!

The_Train

Established Member
If you do that charter to Pompey, I HIGHLY recommend the hovercraft journey. It's not the cheapest way over to the Isle of Wight, but by a LONG way the most enjoyable and the fastest. They're fun just to watch arrive and depart, and they make one heck of a noise during the journey. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience on, and think of it what you will, how I would describe as the man's way to get to the island. Proper loud thrashy beasts, phwoar! :D

*Ahem* Now I've expressed that, let's get back to the trains! Nice work on getting a winning 90, and that 37 was nicely noisy too. Ooh that was fun to listen to! I reckon you're going to love your visit to Anglia, so much to see that you'll need. And when you one day make it to London for a full-on score fest you'll certainly be busy!

Oh, and from memory if you alight at Diss for a score of a 90, I believe you're best off in coach E or F for quick access to the footbridge. To ID the 90 coming the other way you'll have to be right at the London end of the northbound platform to get the number. There's also a nice little pub on the London platform should a beer take your fancy, and from memory the coffee from the little cafe is also pretty reasonable.

This is of course assuming you take advantage of a ride to Diss, which I assume you will given the 90s will give way to the new trains fairly soon. Won't be much longer until the MK3s go away!

Tech, thanks for your thoughts re the Pompey trip.

Regarding the Anglia trip, I don't have any plan to stop off at Diss. My morning will be spent at Norwich and with a trip out to Yarmouth (assuming the 37s are still in action) before I head down to Ipswich. I picked the 1400 service but have since learned that this is a 321 so I thought about leaving it until the 1430 but the LHCS on this is on the same diagram as my planned return from Ipswich so think I'll stick to the 1400 and enjoy the unit. My return to Norwich (according to all info I can find) will be a 90 so I'll at least get a bit of haulage behind one before heading back to Ely for my train home

87electric

The micro pub on Diss station has been gone for quite a while now. Fun while it lasted though.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thanks for that Kite, definitely of interest particularly as it heads through Wembley and Eastleigh yards.

The 2 additional items that stand out are the trip to Eastleigh or the venture to ride the 483s. Don't think I've ever been on a hovercraft so I think this option is looking like the one I'd go for.

Are you planning on doing this one?

Alas not, for the small bits of track I need it isn't worth it considering I will probably be on at Watford & off at Reading unless I fancied an overnight stay (or two) somewhere

One of the locos being suggested tomorrow is 66083 if you need that DB loco for your book of sights

Kite159

Veteran Member
Tech, thanks for your thoughts re the Pompey trip.

Regarding the Anglia trip, I don't have any plan to stop off at Diss. My morning will be spent at Norwich and with a trip out to Yarmouth (assuming the 37s are still in action) before I head down to Ipswich. I picked the 1400 service but have since learned that this is a 321 so I thought about leaving it until the 1430 but the LHCS on this is on the same diagram as my planned return from Ipswich so think I'll stick to the 1400 and enjoy the unit. My return to Norwich (according to all info I can find) will be a 90 so I'll at least get a bit of haulage behind one before heading back to Ely for my train home

I would do the 321s for the novelty of what should be a thrashful high speed run!

The_Train

Established Member
One of the locos being suggested tomorrow is 66083 if you need that DB loco for your book of sights

I need quite a few DB sheds but unfortunately that isn't one of them. I still intend to get across for the coaching stock if nothing else but would be a nice bonus if the other 66 was a requirement for sight

Established Member
Nice day at the local there Mr Train. 3 winners is not to be sniffed at all.
37409 video was very nice indeed, the best 37/4 I had on the Cumbrian Coast turns. The driver thrashed its guts out, was a very enjoyable experience from Corkicle to Carlisle that day. I'd have enjoyed much much more without the bars at the droplight window. Talking of 37 haulage, I'm sure you'll have a cracking time on the short set out of Norwich, especially if 37716 is still doing them too. I had a whale of time doing them myself, so I guess you'll be really looking forward to that too.

By God Mr Train, that's good going, your down to 10 Fred's already, your doing very well on that front. I'm after 7 for sight myself. Mind you, unless you go into Teeside, they're getting rarer up here, apart from the odd engineers trains out of Tyne Yard, the infrequent York-Blyth turn and a couple of light engine moves from Millerhill-Leeds Midland Road or vice versa(a working I try to get out for when possible, as sometimes it can be a convoy of 4 or 5 locos))other than that, i don't tend so see many freds these days. GBRf and Colas seem to monopolise the freight up here now. You may hit lucky at Ipswich for any of your errant sheds.
But here's a taster of what could greet you in Norwich.
20170208_095756.jpg 20170207_153828.jpg
20170208_140638.jpg
minus the 68 now mind but I hope that whets the appetite for you Mr Train.
Another good read, enjoy Anglia mate.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Shame to hear the micropub has gone!

I didn't know the 1400 off Norwich was booked 321s, when I was last properly active on the scene it was just an evening London to Norwich and 1930 return trip on 321s. Clearly things have changed!

For maximum enjoyment of the 321s, I highly recommend sitting in the motor coach. Memory tells me they're numbered 63xxx, if it's a nice warm day ensure you open the hopper windows and settle in for a nice and noisy run!

Oh yeah, I doubt there will be anything there this time of year, but worth checking the sidings on the right hand side of Stowmarket when heading to Ipswich. Track machines may be all that's on there if anything, I believe it's usually only during leaf-fall season anything more exciting will be there.

Left hand side then on the approach to Ipswich for anything waiting on Bacon Factory Curve (container trains normally, might be lucky to see one waiting to head north) and of course for anything on the sidings. Might well have a 66 or a 70 sat there waiting for a path, if not multiple of them!

Depending on your connection time in Ely there is a nearby Tesco for picking up supplies too.

Status
Not open for further replies.