• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Train

Established Member
Nice read.

"... particularly (70)007 which seems to go through Stafford every day" :(

Do you know what the 319 was working ?

Also, just out of interest, and feel free to ignore my nosey question, if you like but did the fact that your new apartment is not far from Stafford station influence your choice of apartment ?

I even saw 70007 when I went to Tamworth and I'm sure I will see it at Nuneaton on Thursday.

The 319 was working the 543G 1530 Wolverton Centre Sidings to Allerton Depot although it was 74L leaving Wolverton so didn't pass me until 1800.

Regarding the apartment, the main reason I chose it was the fact that it's a reasonably new building and a very nice apartment at a reasonable price. Living close to the railway and the station was just an added bonus really and it's nice to be within about 100 yards of being able to see the station approach.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

palmersears

Established Member
I've only ever used New Street as an interchange station and it always felt really enclosed but hopefully the platform ends will be a little more open? I think a trip down there will be more than beneficial to get plenty more units chalked off. I think I would go beyond Bescot on the outward journey and then alight there heading back. Might have to hope there is someone else there with binoculars though as I don't own any. Something for the wishlist maybe.

I love the 68s so a trip to Moor Street would be worth it just for those, particularly for a ride behind one.

New Street opens out into daylight at the London ends, but you'll need to wander around a bit to grab stuff terminating from the north.

Established Member
Well if you do get a WMDR, you'll be able to sample them for haulage up to Leamington Spa. Use the tops thread, frequently requested diagrams, click on he children thread and hey presto the 68 turns are there. One there, one back. Used to.be able to do one to Leamington Spa, one down to Solihull and wait for the other after that into Moor St.If you love the sound, you'll love em for haulage and if your eyesight is Good, you may pick of more units as you pass Tyseley on the way.

Ah Birmingham New Street, aka the Bat Cave. I couldn't spend 3hrs there, even though there's units I need go in n out, it's such a dingey place, it does my nut in after a while but that's me, it's your choice how you attack it. Plenty to see, you may get ghe XC HSTs in, as well the ATW 158s too
Now Moor St, is a different kettle of fish, I could probably sit there for days,
As for Bescot I just went to Walsall and back to pass, if your lucky there maybe a Colas 70 in there. You should get the majority of what's on view. Also keep an eye out for Soho Depot, as your going towards New St, there'll be an 08 there and maybe some of the 323s parked up too.
Ofcourse you wanna go to Nuneaton, so you'll be pushed to get that lot in, unless your gonna stay out till late.

The_Train

Established Member
I think I'm just going to do Nuneaton this week. In the style of palmersears, I fancy just going there and plonking myself down and whiling away the hours watching trains pass me by. I want to properly plan a full day out if I'm going to invest in a ranger so will probably look to do it in a couple of weeks.

Is my plan for East Midlands Parkway worthy of a day out? I've checked the EMT website and it seems to indicate that I can park all day for £6 if I buy a return to Nottingham but I've probably read it wrong

Established Member
I think I'm just going to do Nuneaton this week. In the style of palmersears, I fancy just going there and plonking myself down and whiling away the hours watching trains pass me by. I want to properly plan a full day out if I'm going to invest in a ranger so will probably look to do it in a couple of weeks.

Is my plan for East Midlands Parkway worthy of a day out? I've checked the EMT website and it seems to indicate that I can park all day for £6 if I buy a return to Nottingham but I've probably read it wrong

Not really sure on a day at East Midlands Parkway to be honest Mr Train. A check off RTT will help you there
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/EMD/2018/08/01/1014?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

palmersears

Established Member

Just be careful at Nuneaton if you're wanting to take photos of winners, as freight is spread across all of the platforms, and it's a bit of a trek to the Leicester line from platforms 2/3. I don't take photos so just sit at the country end of platforms 4/5 as you can see everything well enough from there and it's nice when the sun is out. ASDA nearby for supplies as well. It's a good day out, freight is constant all day (I'd wager you'll have seen quite a lot of it at Stafford already, mind) and a few other bits will keep you entertained.

I'd advise against EM Parkway to be honest. All you get is EMT HSTs/222s and more sporadic freight. Save the EMT stuff for if you ever do a day/days in London, as you can just go to West Hampstead Thameslink and combine them with the 700s instead.

Skymonster

Established Member
I then have a plan for East Midlands Parkway/Nottingham for next week and maybe a venture to Birmingham the week after

As others have suggested, East Midlands Parkway (EMD) has little worthwhile for the rail enthusiast other than stone to / from the north into Mountsorrell - I would not recommend spending any time there. If you are travelling by train, it would be far better to combine Leicester (LEI) and Nottingham a there is very little passes through EMD which does not also pass through LEI. At LEI you get the advantage of a few liners coming off the Melton line and progressing towards Wigston - and Cross Country Turbonasties which are extremely rare at EMD - as well as the EMT traffic and the opportunity to see the classic traction on Leicester LIP. I'd normally recommend adding Derby (DBY) into the mix, if nothing else but for the ride past the RTC / LORAM site where the NR test trains stable - 08s, two 31s (now up for sale), 37s, 73s, 97s and the Colas 67s are often on offer. An occasional problem comes when the NMT is on the road nearest the mains and blocks part of the view. However DBY is more difficult at the moment with only one train an hour in and out from the south due to the resignalling / remodelling. Nevertheless it could be done on an EMT London service, in and straight back out from LEI or EMD.

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys. I will knock East Midlands Parkway on the head then and target Leicester for the near future (London is a long way off at the moment palmersears). Suppose I could always add a jaunt to Leicester into tomorrow's outing if Nuneaton is not offering much in the way of winners

The_Train

Established Member
A feast in the East - Thursday 2nd August 2018 (Part 1)

I'd headed to bed the night before lacking a final plan for my planned trip out to Nuneaton. Should I just spend a day there or look to visit somewhere else as the day progressed? I'd decided that I would set my alarm for 8am and see how things panned out as I got into the day. What actually transpired was a longer day than I had ever imagined, but one that would prove to be fruitful as I look to broaden my successes as I continue my return to the platform.

So having woken at 2am, then 4am and finally 6am, I decided to quit fighting it and just get up. My early awakening was met with an idea, and this idea was quickly followed with a plan of action for the day to come. Amazing how a lack of sleep can kick the brain into gear.....well at least with mine anyway. So, suddenly I was in top gear as I flew around the apartment making myself a packed lunch (not done that in a while), throwing coffee down my throat and showering to make myself look and smell respectable. All of this was achieved in just over an hour and I was out the door just after 7am and making the short walk towards Stafford station. A return to Nuneaton was purchased as was a bottle of apple juice before I headed across to platform 3/4 where a few dud Voyagers and 350s passed me by before the reason for my early arrival made its appearance. Hauling a rake of Tesco wagons from Daventry to Mossend was sight of my first class 88 in the form of winner 88007 and I have to be honest it was a lovely sight
DRS 88007 at Stafford by The_Train

My early start meant that I got to travel to Nuneaton on an 8 car unit and although it was busy, there was still plenty of room for everyone to be seated. As an added bonus the lead unit was winner 350369 but having marked that off I headed to rear unit, dud 350120, and settled in at the rear of the train. A short wait allowed me to watch dud 66124 pass through platform 5 running the 0128 London Gateway to Trafford Park containers but that was it for Stafford as we soon made our move down the Trent Valley line. I was quite surprised to find that the 8 car units still stop at Rugeley TV and Atherstone even though the platforms are not big enough and yet other stations usually on the route are bypassed when longer than a standard 4 car unit. Any reason for this? Also is the disused platform between Tamworth and Atherstone the famous Polesworth station?

Anyway back to the here and now, my originally planned 8am alarm went off on route just to remind me of my earlier than planned start and the tiredness that was still clinging to me. However, that was soon forgotten as we arrived at Nuneaton where the first thing I saw as I alighted was track machine DR73923 sat in the sidings and that was soon followed by double winners on the Leicester line with 170101 and 170636 doing the honours, enhancing my 170 winners following my recent trip to Tamworth. 153375 opened up my West Midlands Trains class 153 account as it sat in platform 1 waiting to make its return journey to Coventry before I spent a bit of time judging the best location to Base myself in unfamiliar surroundings. It seemed to me that every location would affect photo opportunities, although as my phone was determined to lose battery life as quickly as possible it seemed photos might be limited anyway. Due to these battery issues, I was doing the old school style spotting with a notepad and pen and I must say I quite enjoyed getting back to my roots. I settled on the north end of platform 4/5 as my base and having witnessed my first pendolino go through the station (they do shift don't they?) I was settled just in time for my 2nd early morning bonus of the day. Having done a check on RTT, I noticed the Caledonian Sleeper was running very late and she duly slid through platform 5 at Nuneaton to give me my first ever sighting of the Sleeper train. Unfortunately it was dud 90044 at the helm which was a bit disappointing but was still good to see the service pass through
90044 pulling the Caledonian Sleeper by The_Train
Caledonian Sleeper at Nuneaton by The_Train

I didn't really have any targets for today as my plans were fairly fluid and being arranged as the day unfolded, however I had hoped that the additional freight routes through Nuneaton would throw up a few extra winning 66s. This was proving to be the case early doors as 66714 passed through heading to Trafford Park and 66528 was not too far beyond as it also headed north, this time on Garston. Sandwiched, lovingly, in between these (not literally) was another 170 winner, this time 108 doing the business for me. A slight lull occurred next as a few Pendolinos and Voyagers flew through. Gave me chance to practice noting numbers on fast moving services and I must admit I surprised myself with how well I did. Good practice should I ever need to be spotting actual winners travelling at such speeds anywhere. I also spent a bit of time watching a Colas worker roaming around the track machine in the sidings, as he prodded away at certain parts of it. Reminded me of that way blokes inspect potential new cars when they don't really know what they are looking at. However, the Colas worker didn't resort to kicking the wheels and I am sure he knew fully what he was doing......hope he did anyway as he spent a fair few hours working on it.

I left the maintenance man to it and got back to the job in hand as 170109 added to my list of XC 170 winners before the 66s came to life again with a double header running the 0300 Felixstowe North to Lawley Street freightliner. Not only was it the first time I'd seen two 66s working together but it was also a double winner thanks to 66951 and 66534
66951 and 66534 at Nuneaton by The_Train

The winners dried up again and I was particularly disappointed when dud 66423 came through with the 0859 Crewe Basford Hall to Mountsorrel Sidings as this had been a class 68 on each of the previous occasions I'd seen it at Stafford. Ah well, the 88 earlier on would have to be as good as it got for now. As the lull continued I started to plot my next move and decided a few hours at Leicester would be a worthwhile exercise (having taken advice from Skymonster) so I headed to the ticket office to obtain an off peak return which would give me around 3 and a half hours in Leicester to hopefully build my EMT portfolio a little bit. Tickets sorted, it was back to focusing on Nuneaton for another hour or so but unfortunately the double headed 66s would be my last winners here.....at least for now anyway as the time had come to make the short trip to Leicester.

12 winners had got my day off to a decent start but with plenty of hours left in the day and a trip to a new location ahead of me, I was confident the number of winners would grow through the day. But is there ever a guarantee of success in this game? Would Skymonster's advice pay off or would something random like a bridge strike at Stamford (for example) throw my plans into chaos?

Tune in next time to find out folks :)

433N

Nice start to the day.

It's amazing that 90s are still regularly running the sleepers. Luckily most of the time they run in the dark and people don't see the livery mismatch between stock and loco.

Kite159

Veteran Member
was quite surprised to find that the 8 car units still stop at Rugeley TV and Atherstone even though the platforms are not big enough and yet other stations usually on the route are bypassed when longer than a standard 4 car unit. Any reason for this? Also is the disused platform between

It's more due to level crossings/junctions why 8 coach units can't stop on the 'Stoke loop' (and normally there is another Crewe bound service running a few minutes behind which calls at the likes of Stone & Kidsgrove.

Sounds like you spotted the disused platform at Polesworth :)

---

Sounded like a good day at Nuneaton :)

The_Train

Established Member
It's more due to level crossings/junctions why 8 coach units can't stop on the 'Stoke loop' (and normally there is another Crewe bound service running a few minutes behind which calls at the likes of Stone & Kidsgrove.

Ah yeah, that makes sense as Stone and Kidsgrove are both junctions and Alsager has a level crossing and I think they all have starter signals (maybe with the exception of Stone?). Just out of interest would services in this situation ever pull beyond the station and stop with the rear 4 cars in the platform as opposed to the standard front 4 or is this not allowed?

The_Train

Established Member
Nice start to the day.

It's amazing that 90s are still regularly running the sleepers. Luckily most of the time they run in the dark and people don't see the livery mismatch between stock and loco.

Yeah I always picture a Sleeper train portraying the ambience of something like the Orient Express or at least a Pullman service so a dirty looking class 90 did ruin that image somewhat (I'm probably annoyed that I expected a guaranteed winner on the front and got that ;) haha)

Skymonster

Established Member
Very nice story so far - I'm really looking forward to reading the rest. Nevertheless I am somewhat embarrassed to be mentioned as, having myself just experienced Nuneaton for the first time, no way would I recommend Leicester over Nuneaton...

The_Train

Established Member
Very nice story so far - I'm really looking forward to reading the rest. Nevertheless I am somewhat embarrassed to be mentioned as, having myself just experienced Nuneaton for the first time, no way would I recommend Leicester over Nuneaton...

I'm hoping to finish it off later at which point I shall give my verdicts to the stations I visited as both are first times for me, even including my time as a spotter when I was just a wee youngster

Harbornite

Established Member
I reccomend Tamworth and Tyseley for starters. Tamworth's passenger stuff is a bit dry but you'll obviously get quite a bit of freight on both the wcml and Derby- Brum route. Tyseley's good for seeing WMR Class 172s and Chiltern dmus/ 68s, plus you get quite a bit of freight through there.

The_Train

Established Member
A feast in the East - Thursday 2nd August 2018 (Part 2)

So I left you all on tenterhooks in the last installment as I headed towards platform 7 at Nuneaton for a short hop across to Leicester. It was to be the late running 1K11 1123 Nuneaton to Leicester XC service and would be my first journey on a 170 turbostar for many a year, dud 170117 doing the honours. It was a fairly uncomfortable journey but thankfully the air con was working as it was a busy service and would have been unbearable in the heat. We arrived into platform 1 just 1 minute late thanks to the sheer power of the unit recovering a whole minute between Nuneaton and Leicester and the first thing I got to see was winner 170107 heading out towards Nuneaton and onwards to Birmingham on the run from Stansted Airport. A positive start that got even better as I headed across towards platforms 3/4 where I got to see some 56s being moved around the yard. Being piloted by 56301 was 56312 and 56098 with all being required and all looking in reasonable condition considering their current static situation
Class 56 action at Leicester by The_Train

222016 would enter the history books next as being my first sighting of any of the 222 classes and straight away I got the sense that they seemed to be better than their Voyager cousins I see regularly at Stafford. Couldn't say what it was so maybe I need a trip out on one to confirm my thinking. Anyway, 222005 became my 2nd 222 clearance in a matter of minutes and I was hopeful that this would set the tone for my few hours here. Having only seen 1 HST since my return to the hobby (well 2 if you count the NR HST) it was a real pleasure to see 43048 head into platform 3 running the 1145 Nottingham to St Pancras, with 43082 tasked with the pushing from the rear. 8 winners in a row was a decent start but 170101 broke that good run but for the next 90 minutes it was winners galore starting with a favourite class of my younger days thanks to 158847, just my 2nd 158 ticked off. The 222s kept on coming with 222015, 010 and 017 all arriving within 3 minutes of each other. A pleasant sight created a vast amount of excitement amongst the group of spotters around me as 37611 arrived from Doncaster Wabtec dragging GWRs 43170 and 43189 into sidings before doing a bit of shunting work to move them into the yard as they enjoyed a break before moving onwards to Laira
37611 leads 43170 & 43189 into Leicester by The_Train
37611 with GWR HST power cars at Leicester by The_Train

After the momentary excitement, it was back to basics again as another two 222 winners went into the log, this time it was 222014 closely followed by 222104. Next was more HST action as 43043 lead 43059 out of platform 2 as they headed to St Pancras
43059 departs Leicester by The_Train

222011 was next into the winners log but it was around this time that word of a bridge strike in the Stamford area (who'd have thought that after my prediction in part 1) was not only affecting Stansted Airport services but also freight coming up from the South. Hoping this wasn't going to derail my day, I soldiered on with another 222 ticked off with it being number 001 this time around before 43050 and 43060 improved my HST numbers further. Unfortunately this HST did block sight of a 170 departing on route to Stansted Airport and although it is highly unlikely to be a winner I'm hopeful someone in the TOPs thread can help me out with that one. Leicester was certainly providing me with the best variety of class when it came to passenger services, and 156414 became yet another class seen today as it arrived from Lincoln before departing back there a short time later
156414 departs Leicester by The_Train

222002 became my 10th 222 winner of the day before the GWR HST power cars re-emerged from the yard but in a surprising twist were now being lead by winner 37800
37800 leaving Leicester L.I.P. by The_Train

Yet another 222 success in the form of 222009 came next and that made it a succession of 19 winners in a row. We finally had some freight action to look forward to as well so surely it was a given that I would make it a nice round 20 winners in a row......
Not quite unfortunately as it was dud 66562, which I had seen previously at Stafford, running a Felixstowe to Crewe Basford Hall container train. So the run had ended but I was not to be deterred and was straight back on it with 222012 being my next winner only for 222017 to take the award as my first dud 222. Having felt that I'd seen all of the XC 170 winners I was likely to today, I was pleasantly surprised when winner 170638 rolled up before 43046 and 43058, also winners, powered there way into Leicester from St Pancras on their way to Nottingham. It was also back to 222 winners thanks to 222103 on a run from Derby to St Pancras
222103 arriving into Leicester by The_Train

Another 222 winner came next (surely the winners on this class would dry up soon?) as 222006 arrived and departed and this was quickly followed by yet another turbostar winner, 170104 making its way into the log this time. 43059 and 43043 became my first dud HSTs of the day but another class 158 went into the winners log as 158774 arrived and departed on the Lincoln-Leicester-Lincoln stopper
158774 leaves Leicester by The_Train

As the EMT services started to make their return journeys more of the 222s were repeating themselves but 222019 became 222 winner number 15 and then it was back to some freight action as 6M76 1119 Chesterton Junction to Bardon Hill was headed by winner GBRF 66775
66775 heads into Leicester by The_Train
66775 at Leicester by The_Train

After a couple of dud 222s, my next winner was another GBRF 66 in the form of 66776 running the 6M01 1051 Tinsley Yard to Bardon Hill freight service. My time at Leicester was coming to an end as I had to catch the 1518 service to Birmingham to ensure my off peak return remained valid, but there was still time to add more HST winners, 43045 leading 43066 on this occasion. Finally 222003 became my 16th 222 winner of my short spell at Leicester before I headed across to platform 1 for the short run back to Nuneaton with winner 170114 being my horsepower to end a successful session at Leicester on a high with a total of 42 winners in just over a 3 hour period.

The day was proving to be a good one and Leicester had done it's duty of making headway into some of the EMT stocks so it's safe to say that Skymonster's advice had paid dividends for me. My thanks to him for that. However, I was due back into Nuneaton at 1542 so there was plenty of hours left in the day but how many of these hours my old, weary and sun drenched body could take was anyone's guess. If you are still with me, tune in to part 3 (hopefully tomorrow night) to see what the remaining hours of the day brought me as I headed back to Nuneaton :)

Edit: if anyone can help with any numbers of the locos that can be seen in this picture it would be appreciated as I had no way of seeing numbers from the platform....
Locos stabled at Leicester by The_Train

Last edited:

palmersears

Established Member
A very productive day all told there! You copped a couple of the last GBRF 66s I need so I'm slightly jealous as well.

Fully agree with the 222s being the best of the family, even if they are starting to look a little tired.

For the locos, here's what was on the depot as of ~1300 on Thursday:

37503 EPUK LESTER SD LESTER SD C B 2D A
37510 SROG LESTER SD LESTER SD F D 33H A
37608 GROG LESTER SD LESTER SD F X 51H A
37905 UKRM LESTER SD LESTER SD E D 1H A
37906 UKRM LESTER SD LESTER SD F D -43H A
47843 SROG LESTER SD LESTER SD F D 48H A
47847 SROG LESTER SD LESTER SD F D 41H A
50008 HTLX LESTER SD LESTER SD L N -43H A
56007 UKRS LESTER SD LESTER SD F D -8H A
56018 UKRS LESTER SD LESTER SD D 98H A
56038 UKRS LESTER SD LESTER SD D D 0H A
56060 UKRS LESTER SD LESTER SD 6 D 93H A
56065 UKRS LESTER SD LESTER SD D D 96H A
56077 UKRS HUMBSTNRD LESTER SD D 1H A
56081 UKRL LESTER SD LESTER SD F N 48H B18
56091 HTLX LESTER SD LESTER SD 0 X 57H A
56098 UKRL LESTER SD LESTER SD F X 59H A
56104 UKRL LESTER SD LESTER SD F N 70H A
56106 UKRS LESTER SD LESTER SD D D -1H A
56301 UKRL LESTER SD LESTER SD F N 10H A
56312 HTLX LESTER SD LESTER SD X 76H A
58016 UKRS LESTER SD LESTER SD X 1H A

Admittedly you'll not have seen all of these in the above photo, but it might help you narrow it down a bit. If you ever head to Leicester again then a trip passed the depot to Sileby/Loughborough, as well as a walk out of the station on to the road bridge in your photo, should help you ID most of the locos there.

Skymonster

Established Member
I very much enjoyed reading that Mr Train. I'm glad Leicester worked out OK for you. I'm also looking forward to part three.

The 50 on the left of the photo (headcode box above the cab) is 50008
The 37 with the spilt headcode boxes is 37003
The 47 behind the two 56s with yellow ends and large logos is 47847

Note the 37 is preserved and thus does not come up on TOPS lists

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
A very productive day all told there! You copped a couple of the last GBRF 66s I need so I'm slightly jealous as well.

Fully agree with the 222s being the best of the family, even if they are starting to look a little tired.

For the locos, here's what was on the depot as of ~1300 on Thursday:

37503 EPUK LESTER SD LESTER SD C B 2D A
37510 SROG LESTER SD LESTER SD F D 33H A
37608 GROG LESTER SD LESTER SD F X 51H A
37905 UKRM LESTER SD LESTER SD E D 1H A
37906 UKRM LESTER SD LESTER SD F D -43H A
47843 SROG LESTER SD LESTER SD F D 48H A
47847 SROG LESTER SD LESTER SD F D 41H A
50008 HTLX LESTER SD LESTER SD L N -43H A
56007 UKRS LESTER SD LESTER SD F D -8H A
56018 UKRS LESTER SD LESTER SD D 98H A
56038 UKRS LESTER SD LESTER SD D D 0H A
56060 UKRS LESTER SD LESTER SD 6 D 93H A
56065 UKRS LESTER SD LESTER SD D D 96H A
56077 UKRS HUMBSTNRD LESTER SD D 1H A
56081 UKRL LESTER SD LESTER SD F N 48H B18
56091 HTLX LESTER SD LESTER SD 0 X 57H A
56098 UKRL LESTER SD LESTER SD F X 59H A
56104 UKRL LESTER SD LESTER SD F N 70H A
56106 UKRS LESTER SD LESTER SD D D -1H A
56301 UKRL LESTER SD LESTER SD F N 10H A
56312 HTLX LESTER SD LESTER SD X 76H A
58016 UKRS LESTER SD LESTER SD X 1H A

Admittedly you'll not have seen all of these in the above photo, but it might help you narrow it down a bit. If you ever head to Leicester again then a trip passed the depot to Sileby/Loughborough, as well as a walk out of the station on to the road bridge in your photo, should help you ID most of the locos there.

Thanks for the info palmersears. Safe to say that the class 50 I could see was 50008 then with that being the only 50 in the yard. I did consider a short hop to go past the yard but decided against it as time was against me anyway and wanted to maximise my findings at Leicester. Would definitely do that if I went there for a longer period

The_Train

Established Member
I very much enjoyed reading that rear Mr Train. I'm glad Leicester worked out OK for you. I'm also looking forward to part three.

The 50 on the left of the photo (headcode box above the cab) is 50008
The 37 with the spilt headcode boxes is 37003
The 47 behind the two 56s with yellow ends and large logos is 47847

Note the 37 is preserved and thus does not come up on TOPS lists

Thanks Skymonster, was hopeful you'd have some info based on your report but didn't want to just steal numbers from your report, wanted to make sure I was only logging locos that I could see from my vantage point - hence the photo. I can safely add the above to my log for the trip :)

Skymonster

Established Member
Mr Train - if you're at Stafford today there is a 09:30 Nottingham Eastcroft - Nottingham Eastcroft via Crewe consisting of Colas 56049, Colas 56096, Boden Rail 50017 (NSE colours) and Boden D400 (50017, blue) - due through Stafford 11:17 and 12:29

The_Train

Established Member
Mr Train - if you're at Stafford today there is a 09:30 Nottingham Eastcroft - Nottingham Eastcroft via Crewe consisting of Colas 56049, Colas 56096, Boden Rail 50017 (NSE colours) and Boden D400 (50017, blue) - due through Stafford 11:17 and 12:29

I did see that on RTT and wondered what it may be. Unfortunately the times don't allow me chance to see them which is a shame :frown: thanks for the heads up though

The_Train

Established Member
I reccomend Tamworth and Tyseley for starters. Tamworth's passenger stuff is a bit dry but you'll obviously get quite a bit of freight on both the wcml and Derby- Brum route. Tyseley's good for seeing WMR Class 172s and Chiltern dmus/ 68s, plus you get quite a bit of freight through there.

Hi Harbornite, thanks for the info. I did Tamworth not so long ago and had a decent day. Tyseley is not somewhere that heard of as a spotting hot spot so will add that one to my list - is it the sort of place you'd spend a few hours as opposed to a full day or is there variation throughout the day?

palmersears

Established Member
Hi Harbornite, thanks for the info. I did Tamworth not so long ago and had a decent day. Tyseley is not somewhere that heard of as a spotting hot spot so will add that one to my list - is it the sort of place you'd spend a few hours as opposed to a full day or is there variation throughout the day?

Not a full day job, and I don't really think there's all that much for you there that you can't see at Moor Street, although you will go passed Tyseley depot which might provide additional winners. Freight averages out at 8 workings a day between 0600 and 2000, so not exactly a hotspot.

Established Member
Good read so far Mr Train,
Very productive day for the book of sights. Been there n had many days like that.
Is the split box 37 in the picture not 37003? Isn't it getting done up there.
Amazing ain't it, all these locos, EWS hoyed on the scrap heap, being given a 2nd crack with Colas and GBRf. I was never a huge and still aint, a big fan of Grids but they've got a helluva lot more about them than a shed.
Looking forward to the rest of the trip report, Mr Train.

The_Train

Established Member
A feast in the East - Thursday 2nd August 2018 (Part 3)

Before getting back to the story of my day, I can now add 50008, 37003 & 47847 to my list of winners at Leicester having now found out the numbers having been able to see them but unable to identify them from the platform edge as they sat in the yard. So my Leicester winners goes up to 45 which is not a bad return for 3 and a bit hours there.

Back to the day, and I was enjoying a nice trip back to Nuneaton on a 170 turbostar when I left you at the end of part 2. Arriving back into Nuneaton just before 4pm, it seemed that the heat had gone up a notch but I had chance to regroup as it was a slow start to my afternoon session there. 70002, 66124 and 66534 were my first freight sightings but all were duds so it was down to 66759 to get my Nuneaton winners up and running again as it passed through on its way to Hams Hall having travelled up from Felixstowe. My next winner was another pleasant surprise as another turbostar went into the log thanks to 170519 before we got to see the daily Crossrail test train, this time it being winner 345046. Just a couple of minutes after the Crossrail train came a freight winner as 66712 went by on route from Felixstowe to Birch Coppice before 66420 came over the flyover and through platform 7 with the opposite service to 712
66420 runs off the flyover at Nuneaton by The_Train

My phone battery was getting really low by now (amazed it was still going considering the first 50% drained within the first couple of hours) so photo opportunities had to be rationed, as did my phone usage in general. So it was old fashioned spotting now with no RTT and just a pen and notepad and having been tested by yet more flying Pendolinos my next success came thanks to the 1113 Felixstowe to Trafford Park Freightliner which was lead by winner 86639 and dud 86608. 66732 kept the winner numbers ticking over running the London Gateway to Hams Hall containers but a period of flying Pendolinos, Voyagers and dud 350s slowed things down a bit so I decided to head over to platform 1 to hunt some fluids down. Unfortunately I missed the little coffee shop first time around and only spotted it having left platform 1 to hunt a shop on 2 or 3. So having finally found my way to the shop, a couple of refreshing drinks were purchased and one was consumed quickly whilst I slumped against a support pillar back on platform 5. The heat and the early start were really starting to take their toll on me now but having rested for a short time, I pulled myself together and went back on the hunt.

I was rewarded and rewarded well as my next winner would be a first success for the class 59 locos as 59003 headed down the flyover on its way through to Cliffe Hill Stud Farm. The only annoyance from this was the fact that I was distracted by the mail train and only spotted the 59 when it was too late to sort my phone for a photo (even more annoyed when I realised the 2x 325 units I'd been able to identify were both duds). But nonetheless it's another class up and running and something I'd not expected to see so a nice little bonus. Things were slowing in respect of winners so my mind was now turning to my journey home and having a run of over an hours with of duds made home even more tempting but I decided to wait for the Holyhead/Chester service at around 2015 as this would allow me to put some charge into my battery which was now completely dead. It was to be a worthwhile decision to hang around as I enjoyed a decent last hour starting with 90048 heading the Daventry-Coatbridge run with dud 90041 in support. I always see 70007 wherever I go and today was to be no different as it ran north to Garston but 66952 was a first time for sight as it headed through to Lawley Street, and this was quickly followed by a quickfire double as winners 66515 and 66413 passed through at the same time. That would be it until I headed across to platform 3 for my journey home when the 1358 Dagenham Dock Recep to Mossend Down Yard service came through platform 2. My sight of the number was obscured but I was sure it was 90035 which would be a winner if proven to be true. I thought that I could clarify it on TOPS so marked it down with a question mark for now.

So it was on board the VT Voyager service to Chester/Holyhead for the short hop to Stafford, 221112 and 221109 providing the traction and more importantly the power to my phone. I took up position in the vestibule at the front of the rear set and had to inform a couple of people that they had reached the end of this particular unit and couldn't navigate between the 2 units (1 woman tried at least 3 times) and as we moved northwards we overtook the Dagenham-Mossend headed by the 90 where I was unsure of the number. I missed it again but knew I'd have another chance at Stafford. Alighting on platform 3 at Stafford, it was quite noticeable how many spotters were still around which usually meant there was still a bit to see so I headed to the south end and did a quick check on RTT which told me there was indeed quite a bit of activity over the next hour so I decided to extend my day even further. The first thing I was able to do was to confirm that it was indeed 90035 at the head of the Dagenham-Mossend train as it caught me up once again and this was followed by 66552 on the Ditton-Felixstowe Freightliner. An unexpected surprise came next as 1O34 1927 Manchester Piccadilly to Southampton Central arrived 43 minutes behind schedule meaning I got to chalk off my penultimate 220 Voyager as 220005 rolled in (just 220026 to find now)
220005 sits in platform 4 at Stafford by The_Train

Stafford was providing a good end to a nice day out and this was proven when 350242 made an appearance to bring my 350 requirements down to 5 LNWR units and 15 in total left to find. With the light fading and my energy levels sapped there was still time for more winners as 66061 headed through platform 3 with the 1418 Middleton Towers-Ince & Elton Encirc Works (a service I'd not seen before)
66061 lit up at Stafford by The_Train

We were getting on for 2130 now but 4 freights in 15 minutes was too much to give up so I hung on and was let down by the first as duds 57007 and 57002 took the Toton-Crewe Engineers train through the goods line but then it was another double to justify my staying power with first of all 66591 heading southbound to Felixstowe quickly followed by 66556 with a northbound containers to Trafford Park. I got to see 345046 continuing it's testing and the final loco for me was dud 66562 which I'd seen at Leicester earlier so I felt that at 2145 it was time to call time on a successful day. The short walk home was followed by a well earned pizza and a very good nights sleep

My stats
Successes today: 76
Completed sets today: None
Highlight of the day: The 2x class 37s hauling the GWR HST power cars
My day rating: 5/5 Great day which ate away at my 222 requirements, added HSTs to my collection and saw some bonus moves

Nuneaton stats
Nuneaton rating: 4/5 (plenty of activity, particularly freight with a good variation of traction)
What classes you can expect to see: 66, 68, 70, 86, 88 (twice per day on the Tesco train), 90, 153, 170, 221, 350 & 390
Facilities: Coffee Shop, Toilets

Leicester stats
Leicester rating: 3/5 (this could have easily been higher but I wanted to judge it based on more than my amount of winners. Plenty of activity but passenger services would become very repetitive if spending a day there. Good place to eat into EMT stocks if chasing them and always in with a chance of bonus activity in the yard. Freight through the station can be hit and miss.)
What classes you can expect to see: 37, 43, 47, 56, 66, 156, 158, 170, 222 (and anything else sat in the yard at the time of your visit)
Facilities: didn't really look around to find out

The_Train

Established Member
Good read so far Mr Train,
Very productive day for the book of sights. Been there n had many days like that.
Is the split box 37 in the picture not 37003? Isn't it getting done up there.
Amazing ain't it, all these locos, EWS hoyed on the scrap heap, being given a 2nd crack with Colas and GBRf. I was never a huge and still aint, a big fan of Grids but they've got a helluva lot more about them than a shed.
Looking forward to the rest of the trip report, Mr Train.

Thanks Mr 403. I suppose I should enjoy days like this where a good percentage of sights are winners as it won't always be like that. It is indeed 37003 (Skymonster confirmed for me) and yeah it makes you wonder about EWS' attitude towards the older stocks. I was quite surprised at how well the 56s looked and sounded considering they've been laid up for a period of time, certainly looked better than some of those moved off to Longport. I know what you mean about them though, I never really generated any affiliation to them as I just don't remember seeing them very often and when I did they just didn't bring the same excitement as 37s and 47s for me

Status
Not open for further replies.