• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I was born this century and I've had it three times, all on service trains (although not exactly for long distance journeys): Euston - Milton Keynes in 2004, New Street - International in 2005 and New Street to Coventry in 2006 ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
Alright lads, this is really not helping :lol::E

On a slightly different note, I think my excitement for HST action is reaching fever pitch as I dreamt that I was on a XC HST last night. We stopped at Belper (I don't know why either) and I got off to take a photo and the train left without me :oo_O

433N

Maybe LSL will help some of the railtour operators with a 86/87 for the fast section of running under the wires, with the electric getting replaced by a diesel ?(or steam) for part of the tour, with the electric coming back on later on, like those S&C trips by the Railway Touring Company which uses that blue 86.

I thought this was the reason that LSL were getting 90001 and 90002 ; it would certainly make more sense since they are likely to be more reliable.

I had all 36 87s in the late eighties early nineties amazing things even saw them at bank quay on freight mostly steel from ravenscraig

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I had all 36 too back in the early to mid 80s. Lots of Crewe to Preston bashes, but a few Euston to Glasgow (or vice versa) bashes thrown in there. I loved them.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I managed 24 of them (001/002/003/004/006/007/008/014/015/016/017/019/021/022/024/025/026/027/030/031/032/033/034/035 with my first run on 022 being my first ever train at only 28 days old). Brilliant machines with many memories and by far my favourite electric locos.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I had all 36 too back in the early to mid 80s. Lots of Crewe to Preston bashes, but a few Euston to Glasgow (or vice versa) bashes thrown in there. I loved them.

I lived in Glasgow in the 80s and while everyone else I knew was bashing 37s up the WHL, I elected to do 87s! Many a happy Saturday was spent doing an out and back trip from Glasgow to Euston at 802 miles a throw. I had all 36 of them for well over 1000 miles each! :)

The_Train

Established Member
Loving this 87 love fest. Didn't realise they were quite all that popular considering they didn't churn out diesel fumes :lol:

AJM580

Loved the 87s, Cleared them for sight and had almost all for rides. Best memories were a 110 mph thrash with 87033 twixt Milton Keynes and Coventry and 87007/019 on my home patch in 2005.

xotGD

Established Member
Some of us were chasing Roarers, and had all of the 87s without really trying.

Living in Birmingham for a number of years made it easier.

xotGD

Established Member
only ever had 6 85s for haulage my biggest regret was never having a 81
I feel the same about 82s and 83s. Saw them at Carlisle on passenger services but it didn't occur to me to do a leap to Penrith.

pieguyrob

Out of the ones that are in the 2018 platform 5, I have had 8 86's and 15 87's. That doesn't include the ones that have been scrapped. Those will increase when I find my old books.......

I've also had 21 class 90's, 7 class 91's, 3 class 92's, and, a partidge in a pear tree!

xotGD

Established Member
Looks like I'm going to have to trawl back through my records to see which Roarers I've had...

I can say that the best run I had was 81007 New St - Glasgow on the overnight from Bristol. Middle of winter with frosty overhead wires. Plenty of flashes in the darkness.

90048/49/50 are required. I don't hold out much hope for number fifty!

The_Train

Established Member
Not sure I ever even saw anything from the classes 81 to 85. Did they make it into the 90s or were they scrapped before then?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not sure I ever even saw anything from the classes 81 to 85. Did they make it into the 90s or were they scrapped before then?

I'm only going by memory but a couple may have just scraped through into the very early 90s. During the 80s the best turns for "roarers" were the Euston - Northampton "Cobblers" or relief trains (remember them!) during holiday periods.

The_Train

Established Member
I'm only going by memory but a couple may have just scraped through into the very early 90s. During the 80s the best turns for "roarers" were the Euston - Northampton "Cobblers" or relief trains (remember them!) during holiday periods.

I wasn't born until 85 so I guess that's why they don't sit in my railway memory bank

xotGD

Established Member
OK, I have trawled through my records. I managed to have 9 81s and 33 85s.

I didn't have 81021, which was withdrawn not very long after the above shot was taken.

I can remember the first time I went to crewe it was late 1987 I think never seen so much stuff in one place must have got over 250 from there it was the most amazing place to be now when I go it's looks so run down and the roof leaks so badly

The_Train

Established Member
Roaming Manchester - Thursday 14th November 2019

After being told off by @Techniquest ;)) I guess you'll be on your trip now so hope you're having a good one mate) for wasting a Merseyrail Saveaway, I decided to make my next outing a day on the rails. It was never going to be as intense as some of you who chase haulage but I did fancy trying to enjoy a few pacers before they disappear for good. I took the cheaper VTWC only ticket from Stafford to Crewe and was rewarded with a winner for haulage in the shape of 390123. I sat on the side of the Arriva depot and was able to add an early winner for sight as 397010 was sat there along with the usual sight of 710107 which has made itself very comfortable in Crewe. There was also a TfW LHCS set with 82308 and 67013 sandwiching a rake of dud coaching stock
390123 by The_Train

I stepped off the Pendolino near to the overbridge steps so decided to head straight up there to sort out my Northern Day Ranger which was done without issue before I made my now standard wander across to P12 to check out the Thunderbird. There was nothing to be seen in the form of a 57 but sat in the goods line was duds 56090 and 56087 on the Shrewsbury Coleham RHTT working. A quick pic was grabbed (although not the best as they departed just as I got there) and I went back over the bridge to check out what TfW unit was in the bay but before I could take note of this, I caught a glimpse of something green and yellow over in the goods line so it was back up the steps 3 at a time and from the bridge I could see a couple of FLR sheds but as well as this 67004 also powered through P12 on a light working from Crewe Electric
67004 and 66561 by The_Train

I headed down to check out the Freightliners and found duds 66561 and 66545 waiting to head out the way they came. Time was ticking towards my departure so I had to move quick to actually go an ID the Welsh unit I'd seen earlier and it was a good job I did as 150256 went into the book
TfW 150256 by The_Train

With just a minute to spare, I was over to P1 for my next trip of the day as 323234 was yet again working the 0916 to Lime Street. I'd caught wind of a steam move out of the ELR at Bury so I took this to Newton-le-Willows. En route things got busy as we entered Manchester with 350402 taking my 350 needs down to just 1 at the airport. After the reversal here, Mauldeth Road proved favourable as well as 195112 was chalked off before 150143 went into the book as we approached Piccadilly. Oxford Road gave me nothing but Deansgate played ball as 319370 was spied and as a bonus I also grabbed 3085 as it went by on the tram lines. That was all to see until we arrived at Newton-le-Willows, where I was able to watch the great sight of Black 5s 45407 and 44871 heading to St Phillips Marsh in readiness for a charter working the next day
Steam at Newton-le-Willows by The_Train

My original plan here had been to make a time wasting move to Warrington Bank Quay before joining the Leeds service as far as Victoria. Unfortunately the Chester train had been cancelled (not the first time I've been stung by this) so I was suddenly faced with another hour long wait at this pretty desolate place. However, lady luck shone down on me and just as the steamers passed by a late running Crewe train pulled in. Double bonus as well as it was 331102 which became my first experience of the 331 class. I'd overheard a couple of blokes talking about this and one had made a comment about not sitting over the bogies and I can see why. A very rough ride was had as I ventured back to Piccadilly but a major plus was the fact that it allowed me to add power to my phone. Deansgate was again my friend as 331103 became winner number 10 for the day and on arrival into Piccadilly I joined the scramble off P13 and went on a raid of the platforms where I nabbed 150277 and 150139. I keep chipping away at these units but it just feels as though there are thousands of them as I never feel as though I'm closing in on completion :lol: One thing that had become apparent was a lack of pacers in the train shed and I wondered what my next move should be but that was soon answered as 142058 arrived with 156428 and these would prove to be my next haulage as I ventured along to Rose Hill Marple aboard the pacer. This journey threw up a nice added bonus as I spied dud 66564 attached to required 66617 which takes my FLR shed needs down to just 5. We had a short break at Rose Hill before I returned on the same units as far as Romiley
142058 by The_Train

Here, I was not only surprised to see revenue protection in operation but more surprised to see at least 8 of them operating at a small 2 platform station. After switching platforms for my next train, I also got to see the issue with revenue protection and probably society in general as the next Rose Hill shuttle pulled in. 2 people were pulled to one side for not having tickets, 1 a burly bloke and 1 a young girl. The burly bloke proceeded to state quite openly that he had no ticket and when offered the chance to purchase one there he stated that he had no means of paying for one and proceeded to exit the station. 4 or 5 of the males operating this revenue protection followed him before returning empty handed and whilst this was going on the young girl stood in full compliance giving them everything they needed in terms of details. Shortly after this little showing of how compliance is not always key, I was aboard sight and haulage requirement 150268 for a short hop to New Mills Central. I'd hoped for a pacer either on this service or parked up outside NMC in readiness to form the next working back to Piccadilly. Sadly, I got neither as 150136 and 150149 were the units waiting and after a brief stint hiding from the rain in the shelter these units pulled in to take me back to Piccadilly. On arrival back into Manchester i immediately spied another pacer so it was on board 142032, supported by 150116, for another jaunt to Rose Hill this time getting to enjoy the good old fashioned bench seats
142032 by The_Train

I decided this time to do the full return journey as well as I'd decided that pacers were seemingly limited to the Rose Hill shuttles out of Piccadilly so it was time to change things up a bit. I was over and across to the utter chaos on P14 as service after service was delayed and more and more people crammed onto the platform. I was waiting for the Blackpool train which was also delayed by about 15 minutes and the staff made a wise call to stop this in 14B and move those waiting for it out of the crammed area. Despite a few moans along the way down the platform 'it's on the same line, what's the point in making us walk down here' was the popular whinge I felt it a good move. Eventually 319369 arrived to take me the short distance to Salford Crescent and I literally stepped off this and onto required for all 319361 for that mammoth journey to Victoria. Dud 66771 was being loaded at the Cemex site outside of Salford Central but it was at Victoria where I struck gold with 156421 being chalked off. I decided that my best bet for pacer action here was the Stalybridge shuttle so I walked around to P2 and lo and behold 142057, required for everything, and 142031, a dud for everything, were sat in the bay. Departure from Victoria also saw me nab tram 3047 and it was then to enjoy the run to Stalybridge which would be a first for me. I then had a decision to make - have a guaranteed pacer ride back on the same units or take a punt and wait for the next Wigan service and hope for pacer(s) on that. I took the chance and after a quick scout around the station, I decided to sample the platform bar where a very enjoyable pint of French Revolution cider was had - that's my 2nd alcoholic drink this year, I should really cut down! I have to say though, more stations should have places like this - plenty of real ale choice, what appeared to be decent wholesome food and a roaring fire made for a decent place to spend an hour. The inbound Wigan service was heavily delayed and having done a bit of digging on here, @_toommm_ broke the news to me that there was a distinct lack of pacers on this working. Ah well, it was aboard 150109 still sporting it's old livery, and working with 150120, for the journey back to Salford Crescent. It felt like it took an age to complete as we were sat in Victoria for a while with multiple announcements trying to confirm whether this was the via Bolton or via Preston service to Wigan. Eventually we left and I made it to Salford Crescent in time to join 319380 for a cosy journey to Piccadilly. 156423 went into the book as we sat at Oxford Road before I eventually made it back to Piccadilly with a spare 30 minutes to roam before my next working.

That 30 minutes became 50 minutes as the inbound Crewe working was delayed but it didn't help with winners as dud after dud was recorded before 319379 arrived for the trip to Crewe. It was worth the wait as 379 made plenty of noise as we made our way through Cheshire, arriving into Crewe in perfect time to see 153372 arrive on the Derby shuttle. 390001 proved to be my final haulage of the day for the run down to Stafford and home for microwave pizza - I know how to live! :E

All in all, it was a good day out. Summary below:

For Sight

Winners: 18
Coaching Stock Winners: 0
Tram Winners: 2
Classes completed: N/A
Sub classes completed: N/A
TOCs completed: N/A

For Haulage

Winners: 17
Total Mileage: 223 miles 52 chains
Classes completed: N/A
Sub classes completed: N/A

I have one final outing on the Northern ranger and it will be either a day around Sheffield hunting pacers, or a day at Doncaster to try and nab the final LNER HST power car I need for sight along with more of the LNER coaching stock. Then after this it is my HST ride to Bristol and on to Cardiff which will complete a good November nicely.

xotGD

Established Member
Looks like you had a good day out Mr Train. The winners for sight keep popping up when you are travelling, and even a Pacer is warmer than a platform end in November! I was also in Manchester that day (work) - things went pear-shaped on P13/14 around 3:30, but I did manage to get home.

Also, to avoid spamming your thread too much, I've posted a load more Roarer piccies over in my "Back in the Day" thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.