• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
A pair of 20s at Stafford - last time I saw that was on an MGR to Rugeley!

Nice shot of the kettle too.

The_Train

Established Member
10p to Merseyside - 27th February 2020

My most recent step away from the local was another outing courtesy of Northern's generosity with regards to their 10p flash sale and it was both an opportunity to see if I could get those Merseyrail units completed whilst also seeing Northern for the final time before Boris took control. The title is not strictly true either as I had to purchase a couple of tickets (including the non-Northern Stafford to Crewe ticket) but still, can't grumble at getting time in Manchester and Liverpool for less than £15.

I was across to the local before 8am and luckily for me that I was running early as the ticket office staff member was having a bit of difficulty in finding the all zones Saveaway ticket for me. I will give her a lot of credit for her persistence though as I offered a couple of times to leave it and try at Crewe but she was determined that I was leaving that ticket office with the correct ticket. Eventually she found it - a case of looking that hard for something that she was missing it right in front of her but we've all done that. Fortunately, the 08:11 Liverpool service was running a minute behind schedule so it allowed me to dash across to P5 in time to board 350246, a winner for haulage, for the short hop to Crewe. The carriage sidings and the Arriva Traincare depot were busy as we passed with a pair of 397's, a 319, a DVT and Mk4's along with 90036 - all dud but still nice to see a busy depot. After arrival into Crewe, I was straight across to P12 for my usual wander to check out the 'Thunderbird' loco, this time it was dud 57309 but next to it in the goods line was 331025 out on a test run between Liverpool and Crewe
The Loco and the Unit by The_Train

I had trek down to the south end of the platform just on the off chance that anything was happening in the LSL depot but it was well before that when I spotted a lonely figure sat in the old mail platforms. It was ex CS coach 10544 which was a requirement and I definitely wasn't turning it down as it was added to the book of winners. Nothing in the LSL depot so I was back over the bridge after a quick PNB - well worth taking advantage of the toilets on P12 as no-one ever uses them! It was over to the 7/8 bay platforms as I sensed a dogbox and indeed 153362 was sat there having worked from Llandrindod. I had another 10 minutes or so to kill here but there was nothing of any excitement so I jumped aboard 323235 which would be my steed for the journey all the way to Liverpool and although it was a dud, this journey would not only take it into the 10 mile club but well into the 50 mile club. We slowly crept out of the Crewe and a pair of 153s were sat in P9 and this allowed me to nab 153312 which was attached to dud 153303. As I've done on previous occasions, I spied the blue shunter sat in the Crewe Heritage Centre but this time I made the effort to research what it was and if I've got my info correct it is 03073 which is a definite winner - I should make the effort to actually visit the centre really! Having already overtaken 66568 between Stafford and Crewe, I was repeating the feat on approach to Sandbach but there was little else to see until we reached Manchester Airport - interestingly on this leg of the journey I was faced with 2 ticket checks compared to the usual zero. Manchester Airport was very kind to me as I was able to see my first TPE 802 in service as 802201 waited to perform it's next duties. Having reversed here, it was Longsight next and more TPE winners as 397008 was sat for all to see. We then endured the usual crawl around the Castlefield corridor but this worked well as we paused at Deansgate as 350409, in LNWR livery but still working for TPE, went past and in the process set off the klaxons as finally, many months after completing the LNWR stock, the 350 class was complete for sight. I settled in for the journey to Liverpool now knowing there wouldn't be much to see until Edge Hill so I grabbed a quick read of my book until we reached Edge Hill where 60096 was sat at the helm of a rake of Drax wagons and DR73925 was sat in the yard opposite. This journey had proven quite fruitful in terms of winners but I'm not going to lie, after over 2 hours, I was glad to be arriving into Liverpool.

I decided a PNB was necessary before heading down into the depths below Liverpool where I jumped aboard the first train which happened to be 508130 for the very short hop to Liverpool Central. I spent around 80 minutes sat here before I fancied a bit of daylight again and noted the following:
507005, 507023, 508122, 507017, 508123, 507008, 508125, 507027, 508112, 507012, 507020, 507002, 507031, 508143, 507005, 507004, 507009, 507026

It was then up the stairs and aboard 507024, which was kindly waiting for me, for the jaunt across to Sandhills. There is something enjoyable about sitting at Sandhills, particularly as you see some of the larger boats heading along the Mersey in the distance. One thing is for sure though, when it is cold there it's bloody cold and I was feeling it pretty quickly after arrival (the odd occasion the sun appeared from behind the clouds was a superb). Anyway, I wasn't going to let the cold stop me in my quest to clear these classic EMU's but would Sandhills be kind to me......well my findings are below:
507: 507001, 507003, 507010, 507013, 507014, 507015, 507021, 507024, 507025, 507029
507025 by The_Train

507010 by The_Train

508: 508103, 508104, 508108, 508111, 508115, 508117, 508126, 508131, 508139
508117 by The_Train

The Beatles livery......guess where I am by The_Train

I spent around 90 minutes here and units started to repeat so I jumped on 508139, a dud for everything, for a journey out to Kirkdale to check out the depot there. Unfortunately there was only dud 508134 on show and no sign of the new 777 unit which I assumed to be tucked up inside the depot. I spent a short period of time at Kirkdale but only saw dud units come by including 507015 seen here basking in the Liverpool sunshine....
507015 by The_Train

I was soon aboard 508111 as I had some time to kill and decided to go and check out the network's newest station at Maghull North. We were late arriving there and the already tight connection back out of there seemed impossible as that train was already in the platform so I decided that I would just get the next one to give me time to check out the new station. I ventured, briskly across the footbridge and noticed the train was still there and even though I wasn't showing any signs of dashing for the train, the guard seemed happy to wait for me so I felt obliged to get on it, so I was on and aboard 507021 for a journey back to Moorfields. We went back past the depot at Kirkdale and in the time that I'd been away from there, 508120 and 508114 had appeared but unfortunately both were dud and it was soon arrival into Moorfields where, having made my way back into the doldrums, I was on 507005, which I decided to take to Wallasey Village to take me past the depot at Birkenhead where I noted 507007 and 508124 but missed a couple which I knew I could grab on the way back. I had the choice of heading into New Brighton to see if anything was stabled there but I had my 'haulage' head on and decided that a change at Wallasey Village would yield a different unit for the return journey. So I bailed here and made my way out onto the street to get across to the opposite platform where I didn't have long to wait for 507002 to arrive to take me all the way back to Liverpool Lime Street. Back past the Birkenhead depot and definitely a good job I did as the units I'd missed on the outbound journey were dud 508140 and required 507018 - this one winner alone makes @Techniquest 's rumblings about me not making use of the Saveaway ticket previously very justified :D

It was soon back to the mainline having climbed up the stairs (ok stood on the elevator) back to normal civilisation and I made a quick sweep of the non-barriered platforms at Lime Street but there wasn't much to see except for a few dud sprinter units. The barriers at Lime Street did get me wondering about something I'd not considered previously - are there limits as to how many times a barrier will accept the same ticket? For example, I used my Manchester to Liverpool ticket to get through the barriers that morning but if I went back through the barriers and then tried to use that same ticket from the morning to get back onto the concourse, would the barrier say 'hang on a min, I remember that ticket from this morning'?

Back to the trains, well actually it wasn't it was back to the toilet for a PNB and then it was to the coffee shop for a much needed caffeine boost as I'd not had any since the journey to Liverpool. Coffee in hand, I could hear that gorgeous rumble coming from somewhere beyond the barriers as a Cat waited to depart. Now, some may moan at me for this, but I've become rather annoyed at the constant whinging of some on here regarding the noise that these beasts churn out (anyone would think that this is a railway forum used mainly by enthusiasts) so I decided to head up the concourse to check out the sounds, and shock horror, I found it no worse than having a 185 inside the train shed here or at Piccadilly. I'm no sound expert, but I actually think that the lower frequency of the noise actually deadens the overall noise of it a little bit. I certainly didn't hear anyone complaining of the noise - some would have you believe that the public are walking around Lime Street with ear muffs on now.

Anyway, enough of that little bit of a moan and long may dirty diesel locos propel us up and down the land. I didn't have a massive amount of time at Liverpool anyway and I had a feeling that the Manchester Airport service that I was booked onto would be busy so I decided to head over to the platform to ready myself for it's arrival. It was required for everything, 195123 which would be taking me back to Manchester and I was thankful that I'd got to the train early as it soon filled up and we departed Liverpool with standing room only. The crawl past Edge Hill worked well for me again as 60021 had appeared in the yard there along with 331112. Next up was Allerton where I got a nice bonus as 08834 was out on show and duly went into the book along with 331009. The light faded after this and it was at this point that I realised I was heading into Manchester on the evening of a home European game for Man Utd so started to wonder what the station may be like. Having spent much of the journey adding my findings to SpotLog, we were soon pulling into Piccadilly having taken the route along Trafford Park and Old Trafford for the first time and it was into the train shed to see what I could find. I had just under 2 hours here and things started well as 156440 was straight into the book and was followed 10 minutes later by 150147 but that luck didn't last long unsurprisingly and it was soon all about the duds including 175003.....

TfW 175003 by The_Train

I decided to have a breather at this point and grabbed a seat at the top of the stairs to P1 on the southern footbridge, where I had a quick read of this forum whilst having a sandwich as I'd not eaten since Sandhills. It was here that I noticed a smartly dressed man walking towards me and seemingly speaking to me, although my earphones being in meant I couldn't hear him. As I considered whether my luck was in or whether I was about to be robbed, I took out my earphones to find that he was actually checking on my well-being - I guess I fit the bill with regards to my age, gender etc when it comes to suicide and he turned out to be a Network Rail worker on his way home. Confusion cleared up once I told him why I was there and I actually made the point that if anything I'm in a position to do what he has done with me being someone who spends time at ends of platforms. I also sensed him becoming apologetic when he realised I was just trainspotting, but I stopped him from being so as I was actually thankful of him for doing it because the next time he does so, he might just be saving a life. Good work by him in my opinion and having told me he'd been away from home for 4 days and was very much looking forward to a Chinese and his own bed, he went off to his train and I went back on the hunt. Unfortunately it was straight back to the duds, but as my database includes number of photted trains, I took advantage of the duds to grab some unit pics including a lovely 150....
The final days of Northern as we know it by The_Train

I did manage to nab another winner amongst the duds though, as 331019 became my first sighting of it's class under the roof at Piccadilly whilst also being a winner for sight
331019 by The_Train

There wasn't a great amount of other successes to be found as my numbers of required Northern units continues to dwindle and 150277 was the next into the dud book for the day, but it was required for a photo so a photo it shall receive....
150277 by The_Train

Time was heading towards my 20:01 departure and things seemed quite slow inside the train shed and a long walk over to P12 having seen something creep in only yielded yet another dud, although it was in the form of 323238 which is looking very refreshed these days
Looking like it's new out of the packet by The_Train

I decided to have one more sweep of the platforms in case I'd missed anything and I struck gold when I spied 150103, a requirement for sight, but it wasn't the winner that grabbed my attention, it was 142045 that was attached to it. A dud for sight but required for a photo and just a glorious sight to see no matter what.....could this be the last time I see a Northern 142 operational on the main line?

After this excitement, I noticed a very green looking Pendolino and I really can't get enough of this livery so wandered down to grab a shot of 390156 as it waited for it's next departure to the capital before I headed for my penultimate train of the day which turned out to be dud 323226
A Green Pendolino by The_Train

It was a quite journey back to Crewe and I spent much of it reading but I had no luck with any delays on the ex Glasgow Avanti service so that had long gone by the time we arrived into Cheshire. This worked quite well though as the wait I had allowed me to check out 43014 and 43013 which paused at Crewe with a rake of required for sight NRM coaches. I'd thought that this was a nice way to complete the day but it got even better a couple of minutes later when the ECS move for TfW's LHCS came by and I was able to tick off 67001 which takes my 67 requirements down to 10. And with that, it was aboard dud 350109 for the journey back down the WCML and to home having enjoyed another day around the North West. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to complete the Merseyrail EMU's as I left myself 1x 507 and 5x 508's to find so I will need to be getting back up there ASAP to see if I can get this completed before it's too late.

For Sight

Winners: 27
Coaching Stock Winners: 6
Tram Winners: 0
Classes completed: 1 - Class 350
Sub classes completed: 1 - Class 350/4
TOCs completed: N/A

For Haulage

Winners: 8
Total Mileage: 211 miles 18 chains
Classes completed: N/A
Sub classes completed: N/A

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Highlight of the day must have been the 'Flowerpot' at Crewe!

I reckon that it will take you at least a couple more trips to see the rest of those 507/8s. That's if you've got the patience to spend all day hunting for the last couple.

Good trip report their , probably need a few more hours on sandhill's or lime street to complete them. But if u need them for haulage then your like me get them before they go.

The_Train

Established Member
Highlight of the day must have been the 'Flowerpot' at Crewe!

I reckon that it will take you at least a couple more trips to see the rest of those 507/8s. That's if you've got the patience to spend all day hunting for the last couple.

I had to Google the Flowerpot reference but now I've found out what you are referring to I can see why it gained such a nickname! It's been visible the last few times I've headed north out of Crewe and each time I've thought how I must research what it is......finally did so this time.

With hindsight I should have purchased a few trips to Liverpool on the 10p offer but I'd been overly optimistic in thinking I might strike lucky and get them all done. I will definitely be returning to get them cleared up......or at least I hope to clear them up

Good trip report their , probably need a few more hours on sandhill's or lime street to complete them. But if u need them for haulage then your like me get them before they go.

Thanks mate. I tend to do Central instead of Lime Street just because I'm then ready to head upstairs for Sandhills. I'll be impressed and surprised in equal measure if I get them all for sight in the next visit. As for haulage, I imagine you can get good chunk of them done in a day, especially if you're happy to just get low mileage on each and jump off one and onto another at each station. However, haulage is not a top priority for me right now, I just log it because I've been warned multiple times that if I don't I will probably regret it when it becomes more prominent for me

Sounded like a very productive day in Merseyside :)

It was mate, pleasantly surprised at the number of winners I got considering the amount of time I've spent in Northern land in the last 6 months because of all the offers they've had on.

alexf380

Established Member
That certainly was a good day for you. I was down in Liverpool back in January and had an equally cold time spent at Sandhills! That was only 10 minutes though. I do need to get back there before the year is out.

The_Train

Established Member
That certainly was a good day for you. I was down in Liverpool back in January and had an equally cold time spent at Sandhills! That was only 10 minutes though. I do need to get back there before the year is out.

Yeah, the wind was bitter but when it slowed and the sun appeared it actually warmed up considerably and each time this happened I turned into some sort of safari animal basking in the sunshine :D It's funny how you've mentioned heading back there as I see so many people talking about having visited Central, Sandhills, Kirkdale etc and yet on each of my visits I have not once come across another spotter :lol:

If you are wanting to see/ride on the current EMU's I would say you have plenty of time yet considering the one 777 they have in their possession is apparently yet to leave the Kirkdale depot

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ooh that was a nice surprise to find a trip report from you, enjoyed the read during breakfast. As always, a top read :)

I'm surprised my words seem stuck in your head regarding wasting a Saveaway! Clearly you made decent use of your recent one though :) Exceptional progress there, and those final few will bug you for ages I suspect. My last two, wow they were frustrating to get!

Manchester needs a revisit badly from me, I'm hoping to go again soon. Depends what happens with my Iceland trip now, although as I'll already be in London anyway if it does get cancelled I'll be spoilt for choice in terms of red penning opportunities so we'll see...Definitely got Manchester in my sights for a revisit in the near future!

The_Train

Established Member
Ooh that was a nice surprise to find a trip report from you, enjoyed the read during breakfast. As always, a top read :)

I'm surprised my words seem stuck in your head regarding wasting a Saveaway! Clearly you made decent use of your recent one though :) Exceptional progress there, and those final few will bug you for ages I suspect. My last two, wow they were frustrating to get!

Manchester needs a revisit badly from me, I'm hoping to go again soon. Depends what happens with my Iceland trip now, although as I'll already be in London anyway if it does get cancelled I'll be spoilt for choice in terms of red penning opportunities so we'll see...Definitely got Manchester in my sights for a revisit in the near future!

Glad you enjoyed it mate, I'm finally pretty much up to date now as well.....finally!!! :)

Should I ask why you're eating breakfast at 4:30am on a Sunday? :lol:

I always take on board people's advice and make use of it where necessary and your points about the saveaway were valid. Not only did I get to see the depots, I got to see a little more of the Merseyrail network as well :) and yeah I know what you mean about the remaining units. I now have a few classes that are needing just a few more for completion and it bugs me every time I look at them. I just want to get out and get them done although with what's going on in the world I'm holding fire with any plans right now!

And talking of that, have you been checking where you stand regarding Iceland? Have you already paid for it and if so are you eligible to receive a refund if you can't travel? As for you getting back up to Manchester, I suppose the beauty of the place is that once you do, you're bound to find stuff you need - especially with the new units becoming more and more prominent. I'm sure your red pen will be well used when that happens

433N

Nice to see that you saw the ones I 'need' and they are not rusting in some siding in Southport.

I guess the way things are, there are going to be delays in the 777 introduction and we still have plenty of time to finish off the 50x's. I don't find 'chasing' them onerous at all ; brilliant units to ride with low density seating. I was particularly shocked when I went back and looked at the seating on the Great Northern 313s recently - cosy, would be a polite way of putting it.

The_Train

Established Member
Just to complete my recent updates and bring me bang up to date, my most recent venture onto a platform was on 28th February as I'd spotted an Eastleigh to Crewe move and considering what has been down at Eastleigh just lately, it was always going to be worth the gamble to get out onto the platforms at the local. Having seen off a couple of dud sheds the star of the show came by and it had friends with it.....
Wow :D by The_Train

Yep, we were treated to the glorious sight of 47501 (D1944) leading 47805 (D1935) and 87002, fresh out of the Eastleigh paintshop and looking amazing in it's new Intercity Swallow livery
A blast from the past.... by The_Train

I required none of these for sight but it never feels right calling any of these fantastic machines "duds" and it was certainly well worth the walk across to the station. There was no need to top this, but one of the coaches that made up the formation did head into the winners book to give me a solitary winner for this short outing.

I have initial plans for future outings but I'm not sure (as none of us are) how the coming months will pan out so not sure when I will get back out and about but I will be back in this thread whenever I do!

The_Train

Established Member
Mr Train As this came through Stafford I wondered if you had any idea what this working from Warrington to Long Marsden was
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/00105/2020-03-10/detailed
shown as a light loco on RTT
Unfortunately I did not spot it until it was too late for me to go to my local station.

Mr Grain, I didn't see this one myself. However, I have done some digging and the TSC on this one is a ROG code and at 08:00 on the morning of the 10th March, 57301 (a ROG loco) is listed as being at Warrington Bank Quay. I have no solid proof, but I would suggest that this is the loco that worked to Long Marston that day :)

The_Train

Established Member
I like the caption, ‘wow’ indeed.

I genuinely couldn't think of anything else that summed it up in one word. Had the working just been a loco hauling the re-painted 87002 back to Crewe it would have still made a great sight, But to get a pair of 47s at the helm just made it that little bit better :D

Can't wait to see the 87 out hauling passengers up and down the WCML now

Edit: I should also add a note of congratulations on your recent promotion as well :)

The_Train

Established Member
Wow great shot of 87002 haven't seen an 87 in that livery for a while.

It was the common sight for me as a youngster so to see it back like that was incredible. Lots of memories of these great machines and to have one back in this livery is just awesome

Far north 37

Established Member
It was the common sight for me as a youngster so to see it back like that was incredible. Lots of memories of these great machines and to have one back in this livery is just awesome
Yes awesome machines travelled a few times behind them from euston to glasgow wish i was logging stuff in those days but still remember the first two i seen 87001 and 025 at edinburgh waverly many years ago now.

xotGD

Established Member
There are literally no words to describe that post o_O:rolleyes:
Hang on - you do know that dreadful doesn’t actually mean dreadful when used in a railway context?

The pair of green 37s through York last week was totally dreadful!

The_Train

Established Member
Hang on - you do know that dreadful doesn’t actually mean dreadful when used in a railway context?

The pair of green 37s through York last week was totally dreadful!

I'm confused now?!?!? (Doesn't take much :E)

Status
Not open for further replies.