• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back to front tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul 5454

Hello

I've noticed that if a buy a return ticket from a destination in Surrey to London its more expensive than if i buy the route in reverse e.g. starting in London.

If i'm buying an open return which is valid any time during the day is there anything stopping me buying the cheaper ticket and in effect using it in the incorrect order?

I'd be starting in Surrey, but have a return ticket from London.

Thanks
Paul

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Technically it's not permitted. Once you start using the return portion, the outward portion becomes invalid. Inspectors are probably more likely to notice an Open Return being used incorrectly than a Day Return.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
You cannot use the outbound portion of a ticket after the return portion of a ticket.

If it is a regular commute, what you can do is buy a single to London and then start using the cheaper return tickets.

John @ home

Established Member
The use of the outward portion of a return ticket is prohibited if any part of the return portion has already been used.
National Rail Conditions of Carriage said:
17. Using a return ticket

A return ticket (including a two-part return ticket) is only valid for the outward journey shown on that ticket if the ticket is completely unused. You may not use the outward part of a return ticket after you have used the return part.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/NRCOC.pdf
This difference in pricing tends to be seen when commuting out of a large city, where travel by car is a more realistic alternative to rail than commuting into the city.

Romilly

Established Member
If it is a regular commute, what you can do is buy a single to London and then start using the cheaper return tickets.

But only if they are not DAY return tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.