• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back to the office - best source of tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
I don’t think it’s premature to ask this...

In the foreseeable future, I’m going to be back in the office for a couple of days per week. My journey to work involves a couple of TOCs (Merseyrail and at least one of Northern/TPE/EMT) so I don’t think that a flexi-season will be available, and a full season probably won’t be cost-effective. So return tickets it is then (or conceivably advances if I can be organised enough about getting up in the morning and leaving the office to hit the right trains).

So the actual question is what is the best source of tickets? In the past, various TOCs have offered Nectar points or similar or appeared on Topcashback - but who currently gives the most reward for buying through them? And as a side issue, do I have to get credit card sized tickets or can I use a ticket on my phone or printed off on to a piece of paper for my journey (starting on Merseyrail)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Are you travelling from a Merseyrail station to Manchester? Are you flexible in terms of when you can travel? It may be the case that a Saveaway plus a separate ticket (or similar combination) may be the most economical, but certain tickets like these aren’t always available online.

For Advance tickets I’d always book them through Crosscountry as the ability to change them for free is arguably more valuable than any cashback.

_toommm_

Established Member
For Advance tickets I’d always book them through Crosscountry as the ability to change them for free is arguably more valuable than any cashback
Or book through TPE, and as well as free advance ticket changes*, you get nectar points if you’re bothered about them.

*done as a book, then apply for a refund with an online form.

alistairlees

Established Member
I don’t think it’s premature to ask this...

In the foreseeable future, I’m going to be back in the office for a couple of days per week. My journey to work involves a couple of TOCs (Merseyrail and at least one of Northern/TPE/EMT) so I don’t think that a flexi-season will be available, and a full season probably won’t be cost-effective. So return tickets it is then (or conceivably advances if I can be organised enough about getting up in the morning and leaving the office to hit the right trains).

So the actual question is what is the best source of tickets? In the past, various TOCs have offered Nectar points or similar or appeared on Topcashback - but who currently gives the most reward for buying through them? And as a side issue, do I have to get credit card sized tickets or can I use a ticket on my phone or printed off on to a piece of paper for my journey (starting on Merseyrail)?
If a season is available on the route then a Flexi Season will also be available. Whether it will represent good value for money is another question...

It will be available as a smartcard ticket, but not as a barcode ticket, because of the lack of digital support by Mderseyrail.

mikeg

Established Member
Maybe worth checking to see if there are any cashback deals. My bank account (RBS rewards) is offering 5% back on the LNER app and website, though this may be a personalised offer. I also think that the LNER app is second only to trainsplit in being the best app.

Status
Not open for further replies.