• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back2Back powercars on 1A40 beds last night!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprog

Established Member
Some of you may have already seen this on Gen etc!

Last night, 43065 and 43187 coubled back to back hauled the 1A40 'Up' beds from Penzance to Bristol TM!! This is becasue 603 had a saftey system fault (TPWS IIRC) meaning it was a no-go. As a last resort, Laira sent down the 43s, with them providing traction and the 57 DIT providing the ETS for the coaches. Originally, it was planend for the 43s to do the whole run, however it was later dicided at OOC to put anothr 57/6 on the back of the 1C99 'Dwn' beds and then take the loco off at BTM (the sleepers 'meet' there, and thus meanign the 57 can take the Up beds onwards to Padd.

I wasnt gonna miss this for the world! And after much discussion and updates on RailChat, me and my dad deciced to go for it.

We got there at 0150, went to see the duty manager and asked his permission (BTM is closed at nights, so permission needs 2 be sought - lucky i know alot of the staff on BTM ;) ). He said yes :) , so we went onto the platforms and waited for the 'Dwn' to arrive. She did, with 57602 at the helm and 57604 trailing on the back! PSB routed her into 7 - and we where on 9/11 so we where in the right place

Got some shots of that one:

Then hung around abit longer till the 43s came in. Didnt get a very good vid of them arriving as the sorta 'snuck up' on us, but oh well, no big loss.

43065 was leading with 187 backed onto it, and 57605 DIT. She was routed into 5 under the trainshed. We crossed over and went to the end of 5 to get sum pics of the formation. Twas a very odd sight indeed. Apart from another guy with a video camera on 3, we where the only photters there.

Got some shots of it before they uncoupled the P/Cs from the 57 etc. Meanwhile, 57604 had been unhooked from the back of the Dwn Beds and that buggered off at 10 to 3. The '43s' then got the road and went off to the 'marsh', making a hell of a smoke screen as they left. tryed to get a vid, but for sum reason, my camera wasnt co-operating, and it neva recorded :? but oh well. After the 43s had cleared the station, the 57 was started and ran out of BTM and back in onto the front of dead 57603.

After theyd been coupled, the driver changed ends and awaited the RA. There was one complication when one of the staff got a phone call from the Shunter at OOC saying he didnt think that '604' had enough fuel to get back to Paddignton *DOH!* but after grabbing a bardic and diving in the engine room, it was determined that they did have enough, so panic over! :lol: I took a few last shots of the formation before switching to Video mode and getting a decent vid of the duo leaving.

Chatted to the Dispatch etc a little while and thanked the DM before he showed us to the gate and we walked back to the car. Got in the door at a few minutes to 4 :shock: :shock:

So that was my fun morning! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crikes, im totally wasted. Only got about 2 hours sleep in the end, but it was worth it!! :D I saw only one other enthusiast was on the oppositie platform, but he seemd to dissapear as soon as the train arrived, and i think he had a video camera :?

Hope you like the pics, theyll be up on my fotopic a little later, along with my videos on google. I think im one of the only photters with pics of this RARE occurance, so this is an exclusive! :D 8)

Ta, Sprog \m/ :!:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
:shock:

Thanks for the report and photos!

You have a very good chance of getting them published (providing the originals are high enough resolution) in a magazine as they are very newsworthy.

ChrisM

Excellent shots.
Watch out incase others try and steal you limelight and take credit for shooting them.

jdjonnay

Seen a lot of phots of the formation at Plymouth etc, but none at BTM. BTW, it's probably just as quick to type down as it is 'dwn' :lol:

Guinness

Established Member
Interesting Stuff! :)

Worth a shot of Yorkie's Magazine idea. Worth it for 2 hours sleep ;)

jonb

Established Member
Just an update for you all apparently all FGW 57's are to return to Loughborough for Modifications in the meantime Cotswold Rail 47's are to be used on the Sleeper and ECS's.

joy54.gen

I'll be with Jonathon, anybody else wishing to come contact me. This is due to happen until early next week.

Sprog

Established Member
Arghh! :shock: :x

*emails admin*

I dont mind them using it, but id lkie some flippin credit! <( <(

Sprog

Established Member
:D Some great pics there aswell 8)

Oh, i forgot to add this one in my report:

:!:

Coxster

Established Member
Just got this off of the Penzance webcam:

CR47OnSleeper.jpg

devon_metro

Established Member
Should of gone out to see this one! But on second thoughts i'd rathjer not be on Newton abbot station at 1 in the morning. A very interesting occurence!

Nice to see 47's back in the South West! :)

Sprog

Established Member
After taking Yorkie's and other freinds advice, i emailed Pip Dunn and he has told me that RAIL magazine are going to use my picture (s) in an exclusive fleet news article on the HSTs next fortnight! :D

I am getting payed for the photo (s) in due course and im privalgied to think that my photos are at a Publishable standard! :)

richa2002

Established Member
spm_43030 said:
After taking Yorkie's and other freinds advice, i emailed Pip Dunn and he has told me that RAIL magazine are going to use my picture (s) in an exclusive fleet news article on the HSTs next fortnight! :D

I am getting payed for the photo (s) in due course and im privalgied to think that my photos are at a Publishable standard! :)
Nice one! I've heard that people sometimes get £20 - £25 for a photo in RAIL :shock:

jdjonnay

Chose the right mag to go with mate, the others can mess you around a bit ("yeh, we'll definitley have them", so you tell the other mags sorry, they're sold, then the mag who show an interest change their mind, and publishing deadlines are passed for the others, argh)

Jordy

Established Member
Well done for geting it into Rail! Will have to go out and buy it now ;)

Jordy

Jim

Established Member
It will make a change to have someone elses pics from this forum on there:p ;)

Jordy

Established Member
When someone spots it in Rail, be sure to post it here so we know when to go and buy it!!! 8-)

Jordy

Sprog

Established Member
Thank you for all the kind comments lads!

It means alot :)

Coxster

Established Member
Jim said:
It will make a change to have someone elses pics from this forum on there:p ;)
Yeah, as opposed to a picture by Jon Bradley every fortnight;)

Status
Not open for further replies.