• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Background in rail required to be a signaller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneAllen

Hi all,

For the last few weeks i've been looking into becoming a signaller. I know a few people within NR that say the job would be brilliant for me and for the most part, I agree.
I come from initially a retail management background and then progressed into a computer software programmer - I'm used to being in stressful environments (although, no life dependancy) and focussing on a screen for full shifts.

Did you all come from railway backgrounds before applying & successfully becoming signallers?

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gallius

I was offered a Signaller job at the beginning of the year and I come from a Scientific background. You don't need rail experience to get a Signaller job, you just need to be able to demonstrate the right skills.

ShaneAllen

Thanks Gallius
I think i'll put an application in, what's the worst that can happen aye?

I know there is a "Signaller" thread, but 330 pages in hopes to find someone has asked my question would be a painful thing to sift through!

Saracen_83

Thanks Gallius

I know there is a "Signaller" thread, but 330 pages in hopes to find someone has asked my question would be a painful thing to sift through!

That’s what the search function is for!!!! :D:D

As for your question, no you don’t need experience in rail to become a Signaller as mentioned above.... I was from the outside and got a position.
It just requires you to show you have the skills, experience and aptitude to make it as a signaller and that all comes from your life/job experience.

good luck!

Llanigraham

Established Member
Did you all come from railway backgrounds before applying & successfully becoming signallers?

Not at all, immediately before I joined I was a self-employed shop keeper, and previous to that everything from a Civil Servant to a car delivery driver.

ShaneAllen

That’s what the search function is for!!!! :D:D

As for your question, no you don’t need experience in rail to become a Signaller as mentioned above.... I was from the outside and got a position.
It just requires you to show you have the skills, experience and aptitude to make it as a signaller and that all comes from your life/job experience.

good luck!
Yep, you're right!

I'll search from now haha, thanks for the tips both of you; i'll go through the megathread and make notes :)

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thanks Gallius

Try sifting through a 300+ page WON to find your T3 for that’s painful, but if you want to be a signaller it’s what you’ll have to do.

The question you’ve asked has been asked many times before in the signaller thread, so a little bit of effort would of paid off.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Not in the slightest
Some exciting previous jobs of signallers that I know of include greengrocer, supermarket worker, personal barman to a well known racing driver, school caretaker, tiler, spud digger, locksmith, out of work actor, rubber factory worker, trainee wealth analyst, box office at an “adult cinema”, landscape gardener for a very well known pop star, radio DJ, stable hand, cloistered monk, reiki therapist, watercolour painter and a professional Elvis tribute act.
Takes all sorts this job. Don’t fall into the trap that you have to be ex-railway/police/armed forces to succeed. Being a signaller is a, if you’ll pardon the cliché, more a state of mind than a previously acquired set of skills.
Best of luck!!

ShaneAllen

Appreciate the replies everyone!

Yep, realised my mistake Tom, I've been through it earlier and did find what you said (not searched on forums before, just clicked here and there)

Will do from now on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.