• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bad manners on the roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

strange6

Established Member
I no longer give way to people now unless there is any danger or the emergency services need to get through because I'm that sick and tired of letting people in or out of junctions and not getting so much as a thank-you for my trouble. Is it me or are there more and more ignorant people out there? This really does make my blood boil and I do end up feeling bad about it in case the person was one of the nicer people!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kernowfem

I no longer give way to people now unless there is any danger or the emergency services need to get through because I'm that sick and tired of letting people in or out of junctions and not getting so much as a thank-you for my trouble. Is it me or are there more and more ignorant people out there? This really does make my blood boil and I do end up feeling bad about it in case the person was one of the nicer people!

You're not alone! This frequently gets my back up! I always make sure i shout a very loud "thankyou" as they drive past. Perfect if their window is open too!

richw

Veteran Member
incorrect or no use of indicators annoys me more.
Sat at a roundabout oncoming Focus indicates left, i start to pull out and see the Focus carrying on straight, Fortunately my car is like S**t off a shovel and i was off the mark quick enough to avoid a collision.

Established Member
I was nearly run off the road by a blue Focus last week. I was driving on a 4 lane single carriageway, she was in the left hand lane, I was in the right hand lane coming up to pass her, she decides she wants to turn right. Fair enough she indicates, but by this point, the front of my car is already level with the side of hers, with no checking in the mirror she pulls across, forcing me towards a traffic island. I had to brake hard enough to lock up the front wheels (I don't have ABS) to avoid a collision.
Thing is, even after that, she just carried on as if nothing had happened.

The other one that really irritates me is people who can't use a motorway properly.
If you're going to lane hog, then you should be banned from using motorways until you can prove you've learned how they work.

Tomnick

Established Member
Maybe it's just Derby, but I generally find that more often than not folk will acknowledge me in some way if I let them out. It does irritate me when they don't, but nowhere as much (or as often) as it irritates me when someone doesn't let me across when they're slowing to stop just beyond the junction anyway. Even worse are those who can see me waiting to turn right out of our road, but ignore me and come to a stand at the back of the queue - right across the junction!

Those who don't bother to acknowledge you when you do them a favour - I just tend to lump them together with those who don't use their indicators at all or who dither along in the middle lane of an empty M1 - i.e. incompetent :) .

Established Member

I've noticed that people in Scotland seem more lilely to let others out and to thank you as well than people in England.
It was interesting when I drove to Southampton to see some of the bemused looks from some people when letting them out, when they clearly weren't expecting it.

Rugd1022

I agree with what you say Strange6, the thing is though, by refusing to give way the chances are at some point someone else will think the same of you..... it's all a game of swings and roundabouts on our roads these days. I always try to acknowledge other drivers when they let me out at junctions, so long as it's afe to do so, but I can understand your annoyance!

I've probably mentioned this before elsewhere on the forum, but these days a lot of people in dear old Blighty think it a weakness to say please, thankyou or sorry. Sad but true.

anthony263

Established Member
I hate it when i am trying to join the motorway and people wont slow down slightly or move over to the other lane when it s clear to allow me to join.

Another problem is when i am driving down road and cars cut through or wont wait/reverse for you and have the nerve to tell you off. I even told 1 women that i didnt care whether or not i hit her 4X4 with the bus especially since she thought she was tough because she had a rangerover.

Kernowfem

I hate it when i am trying to join the motorway and people wont slow down slightly or move over to the other lane when it s clear to allow me to join.

Another problem is when i am driving down road and cars cut through or wont wait/reverse for you and have the nerve to tell you off. I even told 1 women that i didnt care whether or not i hit her 4X4 with the bus especially since she thought she was tough because she had a rangerover.

I drive two Landrovers, but that doesn't mean i think i'm "tough" bottom line is i know my vehicles are tougher than a lot of standard cars and are capable of doing a great deal of damage, and as such i drive mine with respect and care, sadly, with your experience it seems not everyone does :)

But i do think that attitudes to driving are down to the driver and not the vehicle they own.

Established Member

That reminds me, I hate those people who don't use the slip road to get up to speed to join the motorway, I don't mean you, but the ones who dawdle down the slip road at 35, and quite often stop until someone lets them in :roll:

Yew

Established Member
I generally dont let people out unlesss there is lots of traffic. as if its just me, by the time they realise im letting them out. I could have gone past and they would have left anyway. Also if you flash someone, they might think its clear and not check, then crash.

However in situations where it is hard to determine who has right of way (say three cars reach a roundabout at the same time, or a narrow street with cars parked either side, Ill always flash the other person.

Old Timer

Established Member
I generally dont let people out unlesss there is lots of traffic. as if its just me, by the time they realise im letting them out. I could have gone past and they would have left anyway. Also if you flash someone, they might think its clear and not check, then crash.

However in situations where it is hard to determine who has right of way (say three cars reach a roundabout at the same time, or a narrow street with cars parked either side, Ill always flash the other person.
That is poor because it takes no recognition of traffic coming the other way. Many is the time that I have had a gap on the opposite only for someone dawdling to come along and when they have gone the gap is no more. I really do not see what the problem is with flashing some one out if they are turning right and that side is clear.

It costs absolutely no time to flash someone out but can mean an awful lot of time saved to them.

jon0844

Veteran Member
incorrect or no use of indicators annoys me more.
Sat at a roundabout oncoming Focus indicates left, i start to pull out and see the Focus carrying on straight, Fortunately my car is like S**t off a shovel and i was off the mark quick enough to avoid a collision.

Far more often, you're waiting at a roundabout for the car that turns off without indicating and with such poor lane discipline, you couldn't even guess (of course, assuming someone NOT indicating IS turning is somewhat risky and stupid).

That's one of my current annoyances as people think not indicating doesn't affect anyone, but it bloody well does - if not me in my car, it really slows down my bus to the station most days as they're not so able to pull out and can end up stuck for ages without need.

I've not driven in rush hour for some time, but historically these are the best times for me - as other commuters tend to be quite polite. Sure, you get t**ts undertaking and doing anything to get ahead, but most people are good at filtering, letting people out and signalling. I can't be sure that hasn't changed and now they're just as bad as the 'leisure' travellers - who are a menace in a car or on public transport!

It costs absolutely no time to flash someone out but can mean an awful lot of time saved to them.

Flashing someone to go can sometimes cause problems if you've missed something and the other party goes purely on your say so - without doing basic checks (i.e. a motorbike I hadn't spotted, a cyclist, a car suddenly doing an illegal overtake or whatever).

There's also the case where two vehicles may see you flash and not realise 'which one' you were letting go!

Therefore, I'll usually make eye contact with someone and gesture with my hands - so it's obvious who I'm 'talking' to and what I am suggesting they do. I still hope they look and judge for themselves, and if in doubt I'll do nothing.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Flashing someone out is bad practice and should be avoided as can cause much confusion, always wave your hands with eye contact, highway code from memory and should not take my word as being definitely correct says something like headlights should only be flashed to warn someone of your presence.

Established Member
Flashing someone out is bad practice and should be avoided as can cause much confusion, always wave your hands with eye contact, highway code from memory and should not take my word as being definitely correct says something like headlights should only be flashed to warn someone of your presence.

It really depends on the specifics of the situation though, in some cases it's better to flash your lights, some it's better to gesture and some it's better to do both.

IIRC, it's the horn that the highway code says should only be used to warn of your presence.

Zoe

Established Member
It really depends on the specifics of the situation though, in some cases it's better to flash your lights, some it's better to gesture and some it's better to do both.
Not correct. The reason for flashing headlights is simply to let other roads users know you are there, not to convey any other message.

Last edited:

Established Member
Not correct, flashing headlights is only to let other roads users know you are there, not to convey any other message.

Whilst not technically correct according to the Highway Code, flashing headlights has become known as the signal for giving way to other road users. It's use is widespread enough for it's meaning to be taught by many driving instructors and for it to be used by people such as the Police.

Though, your apparent inability to answer the question of whether you actually drive or not, and the general opinion being that you don't, I'm curious what your real world experience of driving actually is?

Zoe

Established Member
Though, your apparent inability to answer the question of whether you actually drive or not, and the general opinion being that you don't, I'm curious what your real world experience of driving actually is?
Not revelant to knowledge of the Highway Code. There are quite a few drivers that seem to forget some of the rules once they pass the test.

What annoys me is when people park stupidly close to junctions and block the view. I live on a dead end terraced street which joins onto a main road and there's always some clown parks a transit van by the side of the road, completely obscuring the view making pulling out of the street much harder when you can't see.

Established Member
Not revelant to knowledge of the Highway Code. There are quite a few drivers that seem to forget some of the rules once they pass the test.

Knowledge of the Highway Code is all very well, but being fluent in the Highway Code can't make up for having no experience of actually driving a car on the roads.
Real world situations don't all conform to what's written in a book.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Just as bad is the lack of enforcement that might deter people doing it in the first place.

While obviously not quite as serious, the same feeling of being untouchable (that got people rioting and looting) also applies to how people seem to drive these days.

red circle

There is a junction I have to turn right at regularly and I know there is always a queue to turn out onto the main road so I always let one out before I turn.This frequently results in the second cars driver hooting and hollering because I did'nt let them out as well,Either that or the one I am letting out is too busy playing with the cd player to notice I have done so.
Now my pet hate,mini roundabouts.You are supposed to give way to the right but what do you do when the driver to your right just sits there with no indicators no nothing and no brain ?.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Whilst not technically correct according to the Highway Code, flashing headlights has become known as the signal for giving way to other road users. It's use is widespread enough for it's meaning to be taught by many driving instructors and for it to be used by people such as the Police.

Indeed. I was even asked in my theory test something along the lines of flashing headlights to signal that you are giving way (I can't remember the wording of question) but the answer was that you should always check if the way is clear before moving off - i.e. don't just take someone's signal as a signal that all is safe.

If it's in the driving theory test I'd be pretty confident in saying it's an official practice!

Indeed. I was even asked in my theory test something along the lines of flashing headlights to signal that you are giving way (I can't remember the wording of question) but the answer was that you should always check if the way is clear before moving off - i.e. don't just take someone's signal as a signal that all is safe.

If it's in the driving theory test I'd be pretty confident in saying it's an official practice!

flashing headlights is a distraction for other road users, its purpose is merely to indicate your presence.

you really need to read up on your theory test again.

flashing headlights is a distraction for other road users, its purpose is merely to indicate your presence.

you really need to read up on your theory test again.

Quite right. I was the apparent cause of an accident one sunny December morning when a car pulled out of a petrol station straight into the path of another vehicle in an adjacent lane.

The driver said that I had flashed my lights to let them out, which I definitely had not. It must have been a strange coincidence, but the low sun must have reflected off the headlamp units on my car at that point and they thought it was me flashing my lights.

Also, to people who moan about cars on motorways not moving a lane to allow them in from the slip road - it is not always possible to move out just when someone else joining demands it. You dont know exactly what that vehicle has approaching in the middle and fast lanes.

It is the responsibility of the driver on the slip road to match his/her speed with that of the inside lane they are joining, not race hell for leather down the slip road as if you are on a grand prix circuit then when you reach the point of merging onto the motorway find you are travelling 20-30 mph faster than they are, and so have to cut everyone up from the inside.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Quite right. I was the apparent cause of an accident one sunny December morning when a car pulled out of a petrol station straight into the path of another vehicle in an adjacent lane.

The driver said that I had flashed my lights to let them out, which I definitely had not. It must have been a strange coincidence, but the low sun must have reflected off the headlamp units on my car at that point and they thought it was me flashing my lights.

Which is exactly why they ask the above question. The DSA (sensibly) are recognising it happens, and are trying to ensure that people check that it is safe to do so before pulling out.

table38

Established Member

Our genius council put speed humps just before a junction near me, and at night it can appear that people are flashing you as they go over the hump; I've had a few people pull out unexpectedly :(

Status
Not open for further replies.