• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bad morning for Southern

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
I know most of the threads I start are either slightly unusual ticketing enquiries or about disruption to services, so I'm sorry if I'm starting to bore any of you. ;)

If anyone hasn't noticed by now, Southern has been having something of a spate of problems today.

Firstly, there was a lot of fog in Surrey and Sussex earlier, which seemed to have been causing minor delays (but nothing was announced, so I'm assuming these could just have been general delays).

A 442 which I believe may have been running the 0732 BTN>LBG service broke down in the East Croydon area, with some significant delays but not too many. There were also some cancellations, it seemed.

Now there have been signalling problems and also reports of a broken down train in the Clapham Junction/Balham area. At the time of writing, this has briefly been listed by Southern as causing "Major Disruption", or, if you prefer NRE, delays to BML services of up to 45 minutes. Now it's down to "Minor Disruption" or delays of up to 30 minutes. Initially, delays were listed on NRE as up to 25 minutes.

This is more like a "Moderate Disruption" event for the BML and associated Southern-operated lines, but it's still frustrating, and there have been several significant delays and cancellations.

Have we had two broken down 442s or just one 442 and another class? Or has this actually been dual reporting of the same broken down train (and resulting congestion)? I'm assuming the GatEx Thunderbird may have been having an interesting morning!

If anyone can shed any light on exactly what the signalling problems were, that would be interesting.

Delays are expected to clear some time around 1300hrs. We'll see...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
Seems to be big problems on the SWML between Bournemouth and Southampton too, NRE showing it as a broken down train at Hinton Admiral with 90 minute delays and some buses running - the SWT website has also crashed probably because of people visiting it to get info.

D1009

Established Member
0732 Brighton London Bridge caused tripping in traction current in Purley area and was terminated at East Croydon. May have struck an object.

At around the same time unable to couple Caterham portion to 0804 Tattenham Corner to London Bridge, went forward with 455819 alone.

Then at 1040 points failure at Clapham Jn affecting up and down fast lines caused thinning of the service and GatEx trains diverted via Brixton and Crystal Palace.

Status
Not open for further replies.