• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Badham Farm Holiday Cottages

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Has anyone else ever stayed at these self catering cottages in Causeland adjacent to the Looe Valley line

Many good childhood holidays were spent here and you could hear the trains going by as well as playing tennis and getting a thumbs up from the conductor... Great times!

Sadly the place changed hands and has expanded quite a bit and I fear lost some of its charm though the games room the old owner installed was welcomed... The last time I went the new owners brought with them some rather unnerving looking dogs which would stand in the road and bark at us in a threatening manner.. Dobermans ... Personally this put me off going back

I recommend alighting at Causeland and walking up the hill to Duloe where there is a great pub and some medieval stones and even further to herodsfoot if I am spelling that right... Alternatively there is a lovely river side walk from duloe to Looe

Once the conductor or driver forgot the stop and the train came to an emergency stand and the driver reversed for us ! Very scenic station

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Never actually stayed there but had many a great holiday in Looe itself. On one holiday around 11 years ago we took the 153 from Looe on a very warm day and alighted at Causeland, the plan was to walk back to Sandplace station from there, what a delightful place the Looe Valley is, absolute peace and tranquility once the DMU had departed. We set off up the hill from the station and it seemed like an age before reaching the top of the deep valley, eventually we reached Duloe and the Plough Inn ? anticipating a hearty pub lunch and a cold beer but were gutted to find they'd just stopped serving food :( so had to make do with a packet of crisps to keep us going for the rest of the walk back to Sandplace, there is a secluded hotel just up the narrow lane from Badham Farm which attracts very favourable reviews on TA, and likewise the country house hotel near Sandplace Station which encourages people to take the train there for a meal. Just briefly back to Badham Farm, I noticed whilst passing on the train to Looe last year that there were large "Vote UKIP" placards dotted all around the property, Iam afraid I wouldn't give them my business on seeing those as we would have rather a clash of political views!

TheNewNo2

I just spent a week at a cottage called "Sunswept" near St Austell which was very nice. Afraid I haven't stayed near Looe though.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Ash Bridge;215 Just briefly back to Badham Farm said:
Quite agree: actually I wouldn't expect any holiday rental business to be openly espousing any party political viewpoint, any more than it would be acceptable to plaster hotel windows with 'vote Conservative' or whatever. Such a policy can only lose them business overall.

TheNewNo2

Just briefly back to Badham Farm, I noticed whilst passing on the train to Looe last year that there were large "Vote UKIP" placards dotted all around the property, Iam afraid I wouldn't give them my business on seeing those as we would have rather a clash of political views!

I counted Cornish political placards over a week. I reckon Tories and Lib Dems roughly equal, UKIP in 3rd, Cornish local party 4th, 3 Labour supporters and one Green.

Of note is that the Tory placards were almost always in fields, the Lib Dem ones always in gardens.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I counted Cornish political placards over a week. I reckon Tories and Lib Dems roughly equal, UKIP in 3rd, Cornish local party 4th, 3 Labour supporters and one Green.

Of note is that the Tory placards were almost always in fields, the Lib Dem ones always in gardens.

In the St Ives constituency, one of the 23 marginals which the Tories say they must win to achieve an outright majority (which would signal the start of the pig-flying season), my estimate is, after a slow start, at least half as many again LibDem to Tories, UKIP almost non-existent other than in farmers' fields, Labour and Green about equal, although not many of each. UKIP might get fewer votes in this constituency than last time, their fisherman candidate of many elections having been replaced by a more middle class candidate.Local bookie also predicting Greens beating Labour into fourth place, but then Labour have never treated this constituency as remotely winnable and so feel they can put up anyone.

What may make the result here particularly interesting is, owing to the Scillies being part of it and the disallowing of night flights, the count here only begins on late Friday morning at the earliest when the ballot boxes are safely in. No helicopters here now, either, so Lands End Airport better not be shrouded in mist! Factor in the very real possibility of a recount (Lib Dem majority only 1500 but the polls show only a tiny swing to the Tories) and it could be the last English seat to declare a result (and,yes, I am saying Cornwall is part of England:lol:)

Status
Not open for further replies.