• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Badly worded Northern survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

talltim

Established Member
I've just been filling in a survey on a Northern train which makes several references to more seats on trains. Now I'm assuming that they are actually talking about longer or more frequent trains, but I voted that I wanted fewer seats because I'm in a bench seated 142 with a smaller seat pitch than the length of my thigh bones! Does anyone here work in the survey industry? Could they explain why surveys are so often badly worded?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muttley

Could they explain why surveys are so often badly worded?
Just like any consultation, they don't care about your opinion, they want confirmation of what they are going to do anyway.
That way they can claim they gave you what you wanted and absolve themselves of any negative consequences.

RJ21

Sounds a lot like they want the correct answer to their question, always the way with surveys.

northernchris

Established Member
Northern have been at Leeds today, and I think tomorrow, with different types of seats inviting passengers to try them out.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Northern have been at Leeds today, and I think tomorrow, with different types of seats inviting passengers to try them out.

Yes, I tried this yesterday. Had the chance to give a clear preference as to my preferred option (although sadly no box in which to write "all need more padding" or "not as good as the 1964 Brighton line electric stock")

Did get a free banana as well, which was nice.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I was surveyed on the train last weekend. Northern were running a special Sunday service on the Preston to Ormskirk line for the Ormskirk MotorFest. I answered all the questions:

"Where are you travelling from?" - Clitheroe.
"Is your journey for work or leisure?" - Work.
"Would you use a Sunday service in the future if it was made permenant?" - Yes.

At the end of the questions I asked the lady if she wanted to know where I was travelling to. She said no as it wasn't on her list of questions to ask! I told her it was Waterloo but it didn't get written down.

Status
Not open for further replies.