• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Baghdad Terror Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36703029
At least 165 people were killed shortly after midnight on Sunday when a suicide bomber blew up an explosives-laden lorry in the centre of the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, security sources say.
The jihadist group Islamic State (IS) has said it was behind the attack, which targeted a crowded shopping centre in the Karrada district, where people were enjoying a night out after breaking their daily fast for the Islamic holy month of Ramadan....

It's in the news that 165 people have been killed by a bomb in Baghdad, at the end Ramadan aswell :( .
It's the worst day there since 2007 and it's awful.
Yet no one on Facebook have added an Iraqi flag onto their profile like many did when Paris, Brussels, Orlando were also attacked, they were all smaller scale as well. It's not the top story on most news sites, I bet it would of been if it happened in Australia or America etc. I find this attitude where people are so two-faced as racist.

My thoughts are with those who are badly injured in this terrible event.
I hope these things will become rarer amd more preventable in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's in the news that 165 people have been killed by a bomb in Baghdad, at the end Ramadan aswell :( .
Yet no one on Facebook have added an Iraqi flag onto their profile like many did when Paris, Brussels, Orlando were also attacked, they were all smaller scale as well. It's not the top story on most news sites, I bet it would of been if it happened in Australia or America etc. I find this attitude where people are so two-faced as racist.

The IRA used to say that 1 bomb in London was worth 10 in Belfast - that analogy seems to ring true here.

GB

Established Member
It's not the top story on most news sites, I bet it would of been if it happened in Australia or America etc. I find this attitude where people are so two-faced as racist.

Terrorist attacks in the USA, Australia or Europe are hugely rare, so when they do happen of course it will be headline news.

The closer something like this is to home the more they are likely to look up and and take note.

miami

Established Member
When Orlando happened, nobody on facebook added a USA flag to their profile. Perhaps because mass shootings are a daily occurance

I was more shocked by the bombing in Medina to be honest.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

What must be remembered is that there are large enclaves of both the Sunni and Shia followers of the Islamic faith in the large sprawling city of Baghdad, where research will reveal to you exactly how many deaths have occurred in that city in those enclaves since the overthrow of Saddam Hussein regime. ISIL, being an extreme Wahaabist Sunni sect are bound to attack any of the Shia enclaves there and the use of suicide bombers prepared to lose their life in order to ensure maximum deaths and associated carnage takes away some of the strength of the normal security measures. Do not forget that after the Hussein regime fell, the Americans took the decision to disband the Iraqi army and some of those Sunni senior Iraqi army officers saw the Sunni based new rebel groups as being ideal to use their military training methods.

An example of an ISIL attack on a Shia enclave earlier this year was that which occurred in the district of Sadr City, which you will recall was the power base of the Shia Muslim cleric, Mustafa al Sadr, who led the Shia insurgent fighters who caused so many problems to both the American and British military forces during the time of that war.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
ISIL are not Sunni or Shia, they are just Terrorists.
The Koran says don't kill prisoners, don't kill women, don't destroy a home, don't cut a tree, don't enforce Islam, etc etc etc. After reading the book which is designed to guide all of the Muslim faith, there's no way they are following any teachings of the religion. It's just a load of angry foreign fighters wanting a dream state, then finding out how sinister they all are later.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
ISIL are not Sunni or Shia, they are just Terrorists.
The Koran says don't kill prisoners, don't kill women, don't destroy a home, don't cut a tree, don't enforce Islam, etc etc etc. After reading the book which is designed to guide all of the Muslim faith, there's no way they are following any teachings of the religion. It's just a load of angry foreign fighters wanting a dream state, then finding out how sinister they all are later.

You may very will think that, but I assure you that ISIL are indeed a Wahaabist Sunni organisation whose very intention is to create an extreme conservative Whaabist Sunni caliphate that will stretch from Indonesia in the east to the west coast of Arica, both north and south of the Sahara.

All those who left Britain and other countries to settle in the current Middle Eastern ISIL heartland, especially the young teenage girls, were all very conservative (in belief) Sunni adherents who all despise the currently accepted lifestyle and beliefs appertaining in Britain and other European countries.

Indeed, it may be said that they are trying to emulate Islam in the time period just after the death of Mohammed. Remember that Saudi Arabia is the spiritual heartland of the Wahaabist conservative version of Islam.

deltic

Established Member

Sadly it comes down to what is news - things that happen everyday like car bombs in Baghdad are not news - the same as ongoing sectarian violence in Northern Ireland which rarely gets reported. Nearly 2000 people die on our roads every year but most only get reported in the local press if at all but a minor train incident can become front page news. How many of the country's few hundred murders ever make the national press?

News is what is new and different sadly car bombs in Baghdad and old and all to familiar.

atillathehunn

Established Member
The world is not divided into those who know and those who don't know. It is divided into those who care and those who don't. G.K. Chesterton.

There's a huge amount of false outrage going on regarding coverage of the blasts in Mecca and Baghdad. But no mention of attacks in Indonesia and Malaysia, claiming the lives of several.

The BBC front page this morning has no mention of the attack in Juba last night. 115 have died in Africa's newest country in violence which marred celebrations of the country's anniversary of independence.

There are a number of reasons for this. Your news provider will put to the front the stories that will garner the most clicks, for various reasons. Often $$$ but not always. If you go deeper into the website, and click on the 'Africa' section, you will find coverage of the violence in Juba. But otherwise likely not.

But you didn't go looking for it. You aren't trawling the papers from around the world. I live in East Africa and the attack in Juba is front page news almost universally.

Distance plays as a part, as do cultural aspects. Here, and in the Muslim world, it is vital to bury the dead as soon as possible. Which means the obvious signs of grief - the mourning process, the public outrage, the flags at half mast, the inquiries, the political investigations, the police arrests - simply don't happen here.

Last week, 22 people died in a horrific car crash on the Masaka highway. An entire family was killed instantly in one car. I drove past the site just three days ago, and if I hadn't have watched NTV I wouldn't have known anything happened there.

We still very much exist in a tribalist society. That which is outside our sphere of reference or understanding is anathema.

By all means be upset and grieve, but don't fawn outrage that others are not doing the same.

Everyone is loved and cherished by someone. Let them do the mourning. They don't need your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.