• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bailiffs after unpaid ticked

Status
Not open for further replies.

takno

Established Member
Road Traffic Act 1988
Thanks, always good to have the chapter and verse on these things.

Obviously given the figures the DVLA themselves quote of 7% of people having a wrong address on their license and the lack of enforcement action, I'd still say it's optimistic of anybody else to automatically take the address on on a license as being accurate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
If I need to prove my ID to a bank or employer they won't accept a driving licence as current proof of address, so I can't see why a staff member in another industry that is nothing to do with driving should be able to assume that ID which wasn't issued by them or for their purposes would be up-to-date.

I work for a bank. We will.

Given it’s an offence not to update the address on your driving licence if you move, it’s arguably more reliable as proof of address than most of the usual alternatives such as utility bills.

A Driving Licence provides proof of identity (otherwise a passport or gun licence). However, I believe a provisional driving licence is not acceptable by banks etc (may be wrong though).

(I was once denied a bank account because I didn't drive, travel abroad or shoot things)

Additional proof of address is also required, usually a utility or council tax bill.

There is no requirement to carry proof of identity or address in the UK. However, if asked for your address and you provide an identity document with it on, it would be assumed this address was correct. I am wondering if this was the case here?

As I understand it the overwhelming majority of financial institutions' interpretation of the Joint Money Laundering Steering Group guidance is that a UK Driving Licence is suitable to confirm someones identity (subject to this not causing any Immigration Act concerns) or to confirm their address, but not both.

In terms of the Provisional Licence question, if you think about it, obtaining a Provisional Licence is distinctly easier than a Full Licence. Theres a large amount more effort that has gone into it, and a Government official has seen you with the document at some stage.

island

Veteran Member
That is correct.

We accept UK full or provisional licences (as proof of ID or address) but any EEA country’s full licence (as proof of ID only). I am aware some other firms will not accept any provisional licences.

However, I fear we are digressing.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It is incumbent on the person suspected of a travel irregularity when asked to provide details (and why would an inspector ask for identification if not to check those details) to provide correct details. We are instructed to note down the details as written on any government sponsored ID (e.g. passport or driving licence) but in addition we can note any alternative postal address the the passenger may offer.

Just a wee point of order licence is the noun & license the verb.

shredder1

Established Member
Unless you are an American in which case license is used for both noun and verb, I guess it less complicates our language that way.

shredder1

Established Member
Reduces redundancy at the expense of clarity. :)

In reality of course its all about the ability to communicate, conventions are based on ideologies, usually somone elses. To add to confusion I`ve been in some countries were a nod means No and the shaking of an head means Yes.

LAX54

Established Member
The DVLA seem to say that a lot, but usually in the same press release as they say that 7% of holders have an out-of-date address on their license. I can't offhand find any basis in law for the DVLA to require people who don't drive to keep their documentation up to date (it may exist, I'm not a lawyer and I can't be bothered to look very hard). In any event I also can't see any links to any cases anywhere where any enforcement action has been taken against anybody for having the wrong address, except where they have been driving.

If I need to prove my ID to a bank or employer they won't accept a driving licence as current proof of address, so I can't see why a staff member in another industry that is nothing to do with driving should be able to assume that ID which wasn't issued by them or for their purposes would be up-to-date.

You risk a hefty fine for not updating it! ......https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20968886

Puffing Devil

Established Member
You risk a hefty fine for not updating it! ......https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20968886

That's a story from 2013. Two real-world observations:

1) I've never seen a prosecution for failing to update a driving licence address in 15 years of court experience.
2) "Up to" is a scare frequently used when citing fines. You would be fined a % of your weekly income, probably 50% in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.