• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bakerloo Line tunnel collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
Various people are saying on Twitter that TFL have said that it is NOT a tunnel collapse, just an obstruction.

That said, "Bakerloo Line" and "Embankment" are the top trending topics in the UK on Twitter at present.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
TfL Journey Planner said:
Suspended between Piccadilly Circus and Elephant and Castle due to an obstruction in tunnel at Embankment. Severe delays on the rest of the line.

Of course an "obstruction" could be anything. If I were TfL I wouldn't be shouting about a tunnel collapsing, but let's hope it's nothing serious.

ushawk

Established Member
TFL have said on Twitter now that it isnt a tunnel collapse - apparently the RMT and a driver on a train said it was though. Also some people of Twitter saying that a train has hit an obstruction in a tunnel, but there are no injuries.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Breaking news on the BBC:

Bakerloo line train hits obstruction
A London Underground train has hit an obstruction on the tracks, causing severe delays.

The Bakerloo line between Elephant & Castle and Piccadilly Circus was suspended, while the rest of the line was severely disrupted.

Transport for London (TfL) said the tunnel had not collapsed and that no-one was injured.

It comes as maintenance workers on three lines are on strike but the Bakerloo Line is not one of them.

One does wonder what could be obstructing the line, it's unlikely to be a fallen tree or a cow.

ushawk

Established Member
One does wonder what could be obstructing the line, it's unlikely to be a fallen tree or a cow.

Apparently a section of tunnel wall has collapsed, which the train has hit - not a full blown tunnel collapse as reported. Will probably take a while to sort though.

Doesnt help as BBC London news retweeted their reporter above saying it was a collapse when it wasnt.

moonrakerz

Apparently a section of tunnel wall has collapsed, which the train has hit - not a full blown tunnel collapse as reported. Will probably take a while to sort though.

Doesnt help as BBC London news retweeted their reporter above saying it was a collapse when it wasnt.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good scoop !

Snapper

Established Member
Both TfL and BTP are quick to point out that it's an obstruction - not a collapse. A number of things could cause the tunnel to become out of gauge. Dislodged equipment or even a bulge in the tunnel wall due to a lining segment becoming displaced.

We've been here before remember.

It sounds like the RMT have been keen to try and 'talk up' the problem as they have maintenance engineers out on strike.

Established Member
When is a tunnel collapse not a tunnel collapse? When it's a tunnel wall collapse.

Hang on, the walls in circular tunnels hold the ceiling up, so... err... it's a collapse.

I'm collapsing in confusion. ;)

hluraven

When is a tunnel collapse not a tunnel collapse? When it's a tunnel wall collapse.

Hang on, the walls in circular tunnels hold the ceiling up, so... err... it's a collapse.

Exactly, a part of the tunnel collapsed, which a train then hit. How dare anyone report that a train hit a partial collapse of the tunnel :D

Snapper

Established Member

Clearly. For example, a bulge in the side of a tunnel would mean that its out of gauge and a train could hit the obstruction. Nothing would have 'collapsed'.

People are getting far too excited about this. Wait for TfL to release pictures of the problem before leaping to conclusions.

ushawk

Established Member
Clearly. For example, a bulge in the side of a tunnel would mean that its out of gauge and a train could hit the obstruction. Nothing would have 'collapsed'.

People are getting far too excited about this. Wait for TfL to release pictures of the problem before leaping to conclusions.

And because BBC London news tweeted that it collapsed, everyone believed it. Maybe if they asked TFL before saying anything then no one would have panicked a bit - other newspapers on Twitter are picking up on it too, calling it a collapse.

anthony263

Established Member
And because BBC London news tweeted that it collapsed, everyone believed it. Maybe if they asked TFL before saying anything then no one would have panicked a bit - other newspapers on Twitter are picking up on it too, calling it a collapse.

I have to agree with this when I first read I was thinking this was something a lot more serious than what it is no appearing to be.

tsr

Established Member
Latest from the BBC:

A London Underground train has hit an obstruction on the Bakerloo line, causing severe delays.

The line was suspended between Elephant & Castle and Piccadilly Circus, while the rest of the line was severely disrupted.

Transport for London (TfL) said the tunnel had not collapsed and that no-one was injured.

It comes as maintenance workers on three lines are on strike but the Bakerloo Line is not one of them.

Reports on Twitter and by the Rail Maritime Transport Union (RMT) said the tunnel had collapsed.

The union later said the incident had been caused by the train hitting a bulge in the tunnel wall, which had been caused by rain water.

'Irresponsible'
London Underground (LU) said it believed something may have fallen off a tunnel wall and that there was no risk of the tunnel collapsing.

Its engineers are assessing the situation.

Nigel Holness, LU's operations director, said: "There is no tunnel collapse in the Bakerloo line, nor is there any flooding or any injuries. It is wrong and irresponsible to suggest otherwise."

He added: "The problems this morning are not in any way connected with the industrial action taken by some maintenance workers on the Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines, which has had no impact since the strike began."

I'd suggest that the story from the Operations Director is probably fairly reliable! However, the situation may change with time, so what he has said does not necessarily mean things are set in stone - or that the situation will remain relatively safe.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There was an incident a few years ago when a Central Line train hit some engineering materials that were stored in a cross-passage but had become dislodged, so it does happen. I think this was at Mile End.

I'm pleased to hear that nobody was injured, and hope a clearer picture emerges.

NY Yankee

A tunnel should be sturdy enough to survive the impact of a train hitting it. These tunnels held up traffic, including Routemaster buses, for over a century.

tsr

Established Member
I have heard that a structural part of the tunnel was dislodged by water and caused a metal fixing to protrude just enough to be knocked by a small part of a train as it passed through, but I am not entirely sure how accurate this is.

Class377/5

Established Member
I have heard that a structural part of the tunnel was dislodged by water and caused a metal fixing to protrude just enough to be knocked by a small part of a train as it passed through, but I am not entirely sure how accurate this is.

This is the working theory. The tube of th train was hit.

Green Lane

Thank you for posting a link to the picture. I do wonder how they go about fixing something like that? It seems a bit awkward to me. Does this sort of thing happen often, I wonder?

WatcherZero

Established Member
I guess you would have to drill through and drain it slowly then either beat the panel back into shape or replace it. If you just removed it straight off you could suffer a partial collapse.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Service resumed at 21:10 yesterday, after ERU removed 3 steel panels.

After visual checks, 5 trains found damaged after morning problems.

Green Lane

Thanks all for the further info. Although I haven't been on the Bakerloo Line since last year, for some reason I found myself following this one with interest. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.