• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bakewell Flyer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
Just noticed that Hulleys are introducing a direct service from Chesterfield to Bakewell every hour from 0900-1800 Monday’s to Saturdays from the end of September. This new X70 service is in addition to the long established 170 service via Old Brampton.

So two buses per hour from Chesterfield to Bakewell, seems a brave move especially starting in the winter?

Shame that the direct service doesn’t start from Chesterfield Rail Station, could have been an opportunity for through tickets with the rail network.

Does anyone know if there was ever such a frequent service between Chesterfield and Bakewell?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alexbus12

Just noticed that Hulleys are introducing a direct service from Chesterfield to Bakewell every hour from 0900-1800 Monday’s to Saturdays from the end of September. This new X70 service is in addition to the long established 170 service via Old Brampton.

So two buses per hour from Chesterfield to Bakewell, seems a brave move especially starting in the winter?

Shame that the direct service doesn’t start from Chesterfield Rail Station, could have been an opportunity for through tickets with the rail network.

Does anyone know if there was ever such a frequent service between Chesterfield and Bakewell?

Bakewell has a christmas market which Hulleys are aiming to target to drawn people in. Hopefully the service then becomes commercially viable to operate after Christmas

Llandudno

Established Member
Bakewell Christmas Market operates for only one weekend at the end of November.

Chatsworth has a large pre-Christmas event every year, but the new X70 will stop a fair distance from Chatsworth itself, but will suffer from traffic congestion at weekends with all the cars leaving Chatsworth in late afternoon.

chessie

Living on this route I really hope it works, although it does seem an odd time of year to try this out. Another consideration is that Stagecoach service 91 is currently "in consultation" which runs up Chatsworth Road in Chesterfield and has already been rapidly reduced from every 20 mins to an every 45 minute service that no one can remember the timetable for, if as per proposed the 91 drops to hourly the X70 could be in the right place at the right time to pick up the slack on Chatsworth Road that can easily justify a 30 min frequency throughout the day.

chessie

There has been a previous direct service between Chesterfield to Bakewell, in the mid 1990s Bakewell Coaches challenged and ran I think was service 150 that went direct, it carted fresh air because Hulleys fought back and won as most people stayed loyal to Hulleys.

Llandudno

Established Member
Living on this route I really hope it works, although it does seem an odd time of year to try this out. Another consideration is that Stagecoach service 91 is currently "in consultation" which runs up Chatsworth Road in Chesterfield and has already been rapidly reduced from every 20 mins to an every 45 minute service that no one can remember the timetable for, if as per proposed the 91 drops to hourly the X70 could be in the right place at the right time to pick up the slack on Chatsworth Road that can easily justify a 30 min frequency throughout the day.
I wonder if the 91 is cut back to an hourly frequency will it run opposite the Hulleys bus to give a coordinated 30 minute frequency, or will it run 5 minutes in front...hmm!

chessie

Unbelievably common sense has previously occurred where the Derbyshire funded 33 was timed to allow a half hourly frequency with the 170 in Chesterfield, however on this occasion I feel your prediction would be correct and there will probably something ridiculous like two buses in 5 mins and nothing for the rest of the hour

Llandudno

Established Member
Unbelievably common sense has previously occurred where the Derbyshire funded 33 was timed to allow a half hourly frequency with the 170 in Chesterfield, however on this occasion I feel your prediction would be correct and there will probably something ridiculous like two buses in 5 mins and nothing for the rest of the hour
The 33 was a bit of a white elephant really, carried fresh air most of the time trying to provide links to the hospital from virtually everywhere in Chesterfield. Must have cost over £100k per annum in subsidy.

chessie

I disagree it could easily run Chesterfield via Walton to Morrisons and use Ashgate Hospice terminus commercially, the 33 was indeed a white elephant round Newbold! I have met with stagecoach a few times and whilst they agree there is a demand in Brampton theres actually nowhere beyond there they can take the buses which makes sense.

chessie

and this is where the x70 hopefully steps in for our neck of town whilst hopefully appealing to others

Llandudno

Established Member
I disagree it could easily run Chesterfield via Walton to Morrisons and use Ashgate Hospice terminus commercially, the 33 was indeed a white elephant round Newbold! I have met with stagecoach a few times and whilst they agree there is a demand in Brampton theres actually nowhere beyond there they can take the buses which makes sense.
Not so sure that any part of the old 33 could run commercially.

Stagecoach planning major cuts to principal bus routes in Chesterfield over the next few months:

10 Newbold, renumbered 1 cut to every 15 minutes (20 on Saturday)
39 Grangewood - Home Hall cut to every 15 minutes, was every 7/8 minutes not long back
51 Danesmoor, will no longer serve the rail station and cut to every 30 minutes
54 already cut back to every 12 minutes
Brimington/Staveley corridor to become every 15 minutes

No doubt cuts will be introduced to the 2/90/91 in the New Year as well

Not easy making money running buses in Chesterfield

chessie

Going off topic here but Stagecoach are indeed trying something different, cant wait to travel to notts for a penny at the end of the month or go to Barnsley, Crystal Peaks, Meadowhall etc all via newly introduced routes. Routes to town are decreasing but we are suddenly connected all over the place. sign of the times ?

Last edited:

Llandudno

Established Member
Bring back the Lincman!
X67 Lincoln - Mansfield - Chesterfield - Manchester

It even ran to Liverpool for a year or two, and a friend of mine said it even extended to Rhyl on summer Saturdays, but I am not sure of that!

RELL6L

I am intrigued with the new 170/X70 timetable in that there are two later journeys from Bakewell arriving in Chesterfield at 19.00 and 19.30. They don't come back. Indeed the last journey from Chesterfield is earlier, at 18.40 instead of 18.50. Are these to appeal to the day-trip-to-the Peaks market? I can't see what they would do except return out of service to Baslow. Hulleys do run a service 11 which starts in Ilkeston at 19.35 but I don't think that's feasible. I hope this improved service works. Shame about the 66 going though.

I remember holidaying in Bakewell as a kid in the late 1960s and seeing the most enormous queue for the buses back to Sheffield at the end of a sunny Sunday afternoon. I don't suppose that happens now.

I can't see what they would do except return out of service to Baslow. Hulleys do run a service 11 which starts in Ilkeston at 19.35 but I don't think that's feasible. .

The evening 11s are run by Little Travel of Ilkeston and not by Hulleys who run the Sunday service.

johnnychips

Established Member
I remember holidaying in Bakewell as a kid in the late 1960s and seeing the most enormous queue for the buses back to Sheffield at the end of a sunny Sunday afternoon. I don't suppose that happens now.
I’ve been on two full and standing 218s in the last month, both on lovely days. The route seems very popular with Chinese students as well as the usual hikers and pensioners. The last Sunday bus back a couple of weeks ago at 1855 was a 2/3 full decker.

Llandudno

Established Member
It’s great to see the half hourly 218 between Sheffield and Bakewell doing so well.

But two buses an hour between Chesterfield and Bakewell seems optimistic, but I hope I am wrong.

Needs decent marketing!

Killingworth

Established Member
I’ve been on two full and standing 218s in the last month, both on lovely days. The route seems very popular with Chinese students as well as the usual hikers and pensioners. The last Sunday bus back a couple of weeks ago at 1855 was a 2/3 full decker.

That 218 is surprisingly successful. Out of Sheffield it picks up traffic towards Totley thanks to the poor timekeeping of the 97/98. Going on towards Chatsworth it picks up Chinese tourists at Dore & Totley station, a most unexpected interchange from Manchester.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Going off topic here but Stagecoach are indeed trying something different, cant wait to travel to notts for a penny at the end of the month or go to Barnsley, Crystal Peaks, Meadowhall etc all via newly introduced routes. Routes to town are decreasing but we are suddenly connected all over the place. sign of the times ?

It looks like they are taking the approach that Stagecoach have taken in Fife, where the longer distance "express" services have been increased significantly and "town" services cut - now that they aren't running EMT, they may start competing more on longer distance flows - e.g. the new Chesterfield - Nottingham service wouldn't have happened if they still ran the train franchise between the two places!

It’s great to see the half hourly 218 between Sheffield and Bakewell doing so well

It seems to be pretty much all double decker nowadays too (had branded singles for a while but these were insufficient for demand).

But despite a busy half hourly bus from Bakewell to Sheffield and the increased two buses per hour from Bakewell to Chesterfield, the rail enthusiasts on the Forum will always tel us that, no, the main demand from Bakewell is to Buxton (which has a less regular TP service)!

darloscott

Can’t help but feel they’ve missed a trick in not going to Chatsworth between Baslow & Bakewell, should be enough time to do that in one direction each hour. Try and pull some market away from TM with plenty of connections from Chesterfield.

RELL6L

The evening 11s are run by Little Travel of Ilkeston and not by Hulleys who run the Sunday service.
Oh yes! So its not that. They must just be going to return empty.
Can’t help but feel they’ve missed a trick in not going to Chatsworth between Baslow & Bakewell, should be enough time to do that in one direction each hour. Try and pull some market away from TM with plenty of connections from Chesterfield.
I don't think there's time to do that at all. Would add 5 minutes and there's not enough recovery time. Pass-holders could change to the 218 at Baslow without too much wait. Through fares for other passengers would be unlikely!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
That 218 is surprisingly successful. Out of Sheffield it picks up traffic towards Totley thanks to the poor timekeeping of the 97/98. Going on towards Chatsworth it picks up Chinese tourists at Dore & Totley station, a most unexpected interchange from Manchester.

I can vouch for the 218 being rather well patronised out of Sheffield- yesterday evening when I caught it to meet you it was about 3/4 full and had plenty of intermediate traffic out to Dore & Totley.

Meanwhile not a 97/98 to be seen.

chessie

Hulleys are going for old fashioned marketing campaign of distributing 5000 leaflets locally according to their twitter account but I must admit their facebook activity seems to have increased recently alongside their already daily twitter updates. I still haven't noticed any advertising on the buses though, although that could be me

Last edited:

chessie

Hulleys have now teamed up with numerous firms in Bakewell Town Centre where on production of a valid bus ticket you will receive discounts ranging from 5-20%, I personally think this is a brilliant idea!

http://www.hulleys-of-baslow.co.uk/ticket---rewards---discounts

We are proud to announce our partnerships with the companies listed below, you will receive a discount when you show a valid bus ticket issued by Hulleys Of Baslow, please see terms and conditions for each individual business. The businesses have the right to refuse, alter or withdraw from this partnership at any time. (Age restrictions may apply)

Last edited by a moderator:

Llandudno

Established Member

chessie

The X70 I think is slowly catching on, not at all..it had 3 passengers max on several services today but the weather has been rubbish all week, the summer period has well gone and the flow of passengers on 170/X70 route will decrease anyway due to seasonal changes. the 170 remains fairly busy though today probably out of habit as most people do travel whole route Chesterfield - Bakewell.

Given good weather and a school holiday you could easily bring this route to 30 mins but as I noted before its a proper odd time of year to try this, however I wish Hulleys all the best as they are obviously trying a few new things at the moment.

Llandudno

Established Member
The weather has been awful since the service was launched, but why would you start this new service during GMT, surely you would start such a leisure based route during the summer and hope to build some momentum going into the dark winter evenings?

Mind you does anyone know that the X70 exists?
Great introducing a new service, but it hasn’t got much chance of succeeding if no one is aware of it!

Whereas Stagecoach’s new X1 between Chesterfield and Nottingham has been launched in a blaze of glory!

chessie

I am not sure at all why Hulleys would start this now, one mini bus an hour is sometimes sufficient at this time of year but you could fill a double decker in July

A minority know the x70 exists as there is really good publicity at the bus stop either side of Morrisons in Brampton Chesterfield, seen a few get on/drop off here but its a few! I am not knocking x70 at all its early days and hopefully Hulleys stick with this till next spring and proper push the Bakewell shop offers then I do think they are on to something.

Last edited:
I wonder if Hulleys saw the popularity of TMs 218 and tried to emulate that. The X70/170 though doesn't serve Chatsworth. Doesn't serve Chesterfield Railway Station for easy connections, and Chesterfield doesn't have the catchment area of Sheffield.

Status
Not open for further replies.