• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bakewell Flyer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chessie

I wonder if Hulleys saw the popularity of TMs 218 and tried to emulate that. The X70/170 though doesn't serve Chatsworth. Doesn't serve Chesterfield Railway Station for easy connections, and Chesterfield doesn't have the catchment area of Sheffield.

I agree with all your points here.

Additionally, as discussed in the X1 thread with a few notable exceptions there does seem to be a policy that bus route numbers aren't displayed on bus stops up Chatsworth Road in Chesterfield (this is the case for all routes that run this way), therefore, the casual bus user who might use the X70 to pop into town won't know it exists at the moment until they physically see it pass the bus stop.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llandudno

Established Member
Interestingly DCC have just republished their bus timetable for supported services 273-277 which serve Calver, Grindleford, Bamford and Eyam showing advertised connections at Baslow to Hulleys buses 170/X70 to/from Chesterfield.

Seems a good idea if anyone advertises it, I don’t know of there are any through tickets though.

shame that the last connecting 273-277 bus back to Chesterfield is around lunchtime though!

brompton rail

The Route has been revised to run via Baslow and NOT via Hassop, as currently. Times are altered too.

These services replace the service 66 which covered Tideswell, Eyam, and connected at Baslow with 170 to Chesterfield. Now there is only the Stagecoach operated 65 (Sheffield -Buxton) west of Eyam. Another decline in bus services in the Peak.

Last edited:

Llandudno

Established Member
It looks as though the quickest/easiest way to get from Chesterfield to Buxton is by train!
Chesterfield-Stockport-Buxton, goodness knows how much this costs!

Otherwise I guess
X70 Chesterfield to Bakewell
TP Bakewell to Buxton

Needless to say no connections shown on DCC or bus operator timetables.
No through tickets + no connections = no passengers

A £14 Derbyshire Wayfarer would cover the bus journey but not rail as to get from Chesterfield to Buxton (approx 20 miles as the crow flies) you have to travel via Greater Manchester!

No wonder there are so many cars in the Peak District, green transport policy eh!
Mind you the Peak District National Park is outside the M25

darloscott

You've also got Trent Barton's 6.1 between Bakewell and Buxton. No way would singles be anywhere near £14

Llandudno

Established Member
Trent no longer operate between Bakewell and Buxton.

TP is operated by High Peak, although I think Wellglade (TrentBarton) have a small stake in High Peak?

I suspect that a day return wouldn’t be too far off £14 though!

johnnychips

Established Member
For the Hope Valley Line to the Buxton line you could walk from New Mills Central to Newtown and stay within the validity of the Derbyshire Wayfarer.

brompton rail

For the Hope Valley Line to the Buxton line you could walk from New Mills Central to Newtown and stay within the validity of the Derbyshire Wayfarer.
Or walk the much shorter distance to the bus station and catch the hourly no.60 bus (Glossop - New Mills - Buxton).

Llandudno

Established Member
Or walk the much shorter distance to the bus station and catch the hourly no.60 bus (Glossop - New Mills - Buxton).
Yes, quite an uphill walk from New Mills Central to Newtown, mind you there is a decent micropub on the way!

Last time I tried to catch the 61 bus at New Mills it never turned up, and no it wasn’t operated by Arriva, aka Northern!

Anthony ross

Trent no longer operate between Bakewell and Buxton.

TP is operated by High Peak, although I think Wellglade (TrentBarton) have a small stake in High Peak?

I suspect that a day return wouldn’t be too far off £14 though!

High peak buses is a joint 50/50 operation between wellglade group and centrebus but it is controlled as part of the centrebus fleet

Llandudno

Established Member
Jeez this is hugely ambitious!

Ok the Chesterfield-Bakewell section is part of the usual 170/X70 timetable but extensions to Sheffield, Alton Towers and Hanley is innovative but extremely risky, unless some kind of subsidy is offered by Alton Towers.

I have been involved in similar operations many years ago and even with significant marketing clout found it difficult to make these type of services make a return.

I wish them well!

James101

http://www.derbysbus.info/times/timetables/X71H-200329.pdf

Hulleys X71 will link Sheffield - Chesterfield - Bakewell - Alton Towers - Hanley (and various other parts of the Peak District) - quite an ambitious service for an independent company - I wish them well (and quite fancy a day out at Alton Towers!)

A 4 hour return run Sheffield - Hanley - Chesterfield with a 5 min layover is also a tad ambitious! But I also admire the innovation and will look forward to giving it a try.

Llandudno

Established Member
Two buses for the whole day's service, so hopefully the overheads won't be too horrendous and they can make a go of it.
Crikey they would need to average £300+ every day of operation to break even - not convinced.

Presumably Derbyshire Wayfarers are valid for most of the route, not sure what % they get of the selling price?

How much do they get for every OAP pass used?

skifans

Just to collate some comments about fares from Hulleys from Facebook:
Q: How far will a Derbyshire Wayfarer take you please?
A: Leek if the journey goes there. If not, within the confines of the Derbyshire border. You may be better with a Hulleys Hopper if you are only travelling up to the A52 where the Hopper boundary is.

Q: What's the price please from bakewell to alton towers?
A: £5.20 adult single, £6.80 adult return.

Q: what’s the price from sheffield to alton towers?
A: Adult £9 single/£12 return or a group of 4 for £40.

I do with them luck with it and if it goes well has the potential to be a great service. But I'd definitely say it's a brave move.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I suppose it's not going to use up a huge amount of their resources - they own the buses anyway, and it's a route which is Sunday only. That said, some of their timings seem ambitious - a car in minimal traffic would be lucky to do Sheffield to Chesterfield in 25 minutes, a bus will definitely struggle.

markymark2000

On Moderation
On a Sunday, it is only 1 extra bus so they will likely keep existing passengers (and funding if it is given) for the Sundays.

On Saturdays, it is only 1 bus. I do wonder how it will run (give the driver layover at Alton Towers and work with the park to give the driver the benefits which normal coach drivers get or alternatively run dead onto another route. If the former, the driver may not actually get paid for the inbetween and therefore are only paying for the 'wheel time'.

Status
Not open for further replies.