• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

Would there be any feasability in extending the Central line from Ealing Broadway to Greenford over the 'bubble car' line? This would create a 'Greenford Loop' to balance the Hainault loop in the east given that there is a triangular set up at Greenford.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Galvanize

no, it wouldn't work, because the Central line stock would need to cross onto the GWML slow lines through the station (which are busy enough as it is), and require electrification with 4th rail supply. Also the platforms would either need lowering or the track needs to be raised etc.

There would have to be alterations done to the signalling etc, and to make sure that no FGWL Turbos/Heathrow Connect Desiros end up on the central line and potentially be open top trains ;)

1992s can use their ATP on the GWML lines anyway, as far as West ealing, then TPWS to Greenford if it was to happen...

Plus, I don't think there's enough 1992TS units to cover the service to Greenford via Castle bar park.

How about this anyone? ;)
"This is West Ealing. Please mind the gap between the train and the platform. Change here for national rail services, including services to Heathrow airport. This is a Central line train to Greenford via Castle bar park."

Met Driver

Established Member
WSXFan said:
The work to do it would not balance out any benefit coming from the extension.

I disagree. From an operational point of view I think it would be beneficial, definitely from LU's point of view as they would be able to run the entire Central Line with just two service patterns (in theory). It would also give the Greenford branch a much higher service frequency, and better station facilities (if LU took them over).

The easiest way of doing this would be to provide LU with a separate set of tracks to the West of Ealing Broadway, but there isn't enough space for this and space probably can't be created due to the presence of people's gardens (not to mention Ealing's council offices, and a large multi-storey car park which spans the current GWML formation).

Obviously signalling would be a problem. I imagine it would be near impossible to run Central Line ATP alongside NR signalling. Perhaps the trains could be driven in manual along the stretch in question? That would solve a few problems.

The layout at Greenford would also need modification, as the current infrastructure is not designed to facilitate through running from the branch on to LUL metals.

All in all it's a good idea but would be a nightmare to implement. Although if they got it right, IMHO, the benefits to passengers would be huge.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The £64k question is: Is it warranted? More than 2 trains an hour would not be financially sensible in my opinion. FGWL trains on the branch are not used much during the day, so unless everyone comes out of the woodwork between 1630 and 1830 to use the Greenford branch and pack the trains out to capacity, I don't see the point at all.

All of the changing of infrastructure would make it too expensive to do if you ask me. Especially as the proposed route follows the FGWL route as it stands anyway!

Met Driver

Established Member
I think the passengers are there, but the current service makes it easier to get the bus to most places - the area is very well served by local routes. Many people choose to drive which is evident when observing the road traffic levels in the area! I am convinced that the public would be more inclined to use the branch if it provided a frequent, fast service which LU could easily operate if the infrastructure was in place.

Incidentally, it was recently announced in one of the local papers that the last train on the branch is to be cut back by an hour. Many local residents expressed their opposition to this, which is saying something IMHO.

RJ

Established Member
I believe part of the Hainault loop gets 2TPH. If this were to happen, then there would probably be 1 train per half hour. Plus there's the phenomenon of platform lengthening at Drayton Green, which has an important junction at one end and a tunnel at the other. I don't reckon it's worth it, especially because there's a link at Greenford.

Status
Not open for further replies.