• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Balfour Beatty - Trainee Train Driver Job Listing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railway123321

Does anyone know if the Psychometric tests for this position would be the same as what you do for normal TOC's? And if they're to national standard or enhanced? Thank you

DA1

Does anyone know if the Psychometric tests for this position would be the same as what you do for normal TOC's? And if they're to national standard or enhanced? Thank you

They would be the same as it’s a requirement for all trainee train driver roles. Not sure but at a guess, standard should be enough.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Worth keeping in mind OTM drivers unfortunately often have SOLs which remain on their file and can effect future jobs with FOC or TOCs.

Plenty of RAIB reports on the fact.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
What are SOL's? Thanks

Safety of the line incidents, SPADs, point run thoughts, crossing over level crossings without authority, leaving a possession without authority, unauthorised wrong direction movements, derailments, collisions etc.

You’ll be most of those with authority - minus the collision, spad and derailment within posssisions as routine hence why it’s so easy to fall into the trap.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Also to add, your probably drive your machine over routes you don’t sign. You’ll be route conducted by driver spot hire operators like West Coast Rly Co, your putting your license in the hands of others with sometimes very questionable competence.

This really isn’t a job for someone who is looking solely for a key, then to move on.

Unless you get your kicks in A&R department of course !

Cassy j

Also to add, your probably drive your machine over routes you don’t sign. You’ll be route conducted by driver spot hire operators like West Coast Rly Co, your putting your license in the hands of others with sometimes very questionable competence.

This really isn’t a job for someone who is looking solely for a key, then to move on.

Unless you get your kicks in A&R department of course !
Thank you for the heads up that is exactly what I wanted to do

Blackkat

Safety of the line incidents, SPADs, point run thoughts, crossing over level crossings without authority, leaving a possession without authority, unauthorised wrong direction movements, derailments, collisions etc.

You’ll be most of those with authority - minus the collision, spad and derailment within posssisions as routine hence why it’s so easy to fall into the trap.
So your saying if you move to a toc you will do these unauthorised out of habit from doing it Authorised in the OTM role?

So your saying if you move to a toc you will do these unauthorised out of habit from doing it Authorised in the OTM role?
I think no.
'unauthorised' being the key word.
OTM drivers make a lot of unsignalled moves, which are authorised to happen.
However, OTM drivers are at a higher risk of performing unauthorised activities due to well (RAIB) documented instances of failing to communicate safely and effectively and reaching a clear understanding of what is required. (although, it could happen in any role, just more likely to occur when in charge of an OTM).
The risk being believing you are doing something which is 'authorsied' and in reality doing something which isn't.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

No.

What I’m saying is OTM drivers are much more likely to have a SOL due to the nature of their role. Every move inside a T3 is unsignalled so relies on communication often with contractors who aren’t up to the same standard as full time staff.
At a TOC the chances of a unsignalled, wrong direction move over a attendant monitored level crossing at 0200 is very unlikely.

This fact puts higher risk onto the OTM driver in getting SOL incidents on their file, points don’t make prizes when it comes to the increasingly competitive qualified driver recruitment.

If you think it’s tough competition on a uneven field to gain a trainee job, you’ll have a nasty surprise when your qualified and the playing field is much more level, they’ll pick up on the smallest thing to short list, a driver is a single SOL strike is going to be screened out very quickly.

Hence why I said, this job really isn’t for a someone who only wants a key, then move to a toc ASAP.

Stigy

Established Member
I assumed (and as such may be wrong), he was saying because you’re making all these moves at an OTM Driver, there’s more chance of an incident because of this, in that role. Although I guess it works like that in both cases through habitually doing something and then having to do something else?

DA1

This is one of the reasons why I turned down a Yellow Plant job for another company. I was thinking of going there to get my key and leave ASAP however after also hearing about the above and weighing up the potential benefits at a TOC I decided against it. I held out for a TOC trainee position and patience paid off.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I assumed (and as such may be wrong), he was saying because you’re making all these moves at an OTM Driver, there’s more chance of an incident because of this, in that role. Although I guess it works like that in both cases through habitually doing something and then having to do something else?
Nail on the head yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.