• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Balfour Beatty - Trainee Train Driver Job Listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankOwen

I think Tom is perhaps over stating the risks involved with driving OTMs. I was on tampers for 10 years. There were around 35 drivers and in that time I think there were 5 spads, 2 of which were so technical that the driver's next employers weren't at all concerned.

You have to protect yourself a bit more than a foc or toc driver does, but you do this by knowing the rule book and challenging when necessary.

On the flip side, you'll have less chance of mainline spads, overspeeds, dispatch/door incidents and failure to calls.

You will end up with a huge route card and your T3 experience will stand you in good stead with a future foc employer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Huge route cards have their own downfalls as well.

There are many more easier routes then spending at least 2 years on tampers to FOC or TOC driving.

But, it’s up to the individual at the end of the day - through my experience it’s a minefield.

SJCembre

Was there any info regarding salaries relating to these jobs? Somewhere states 58000+ and another shows roughly 52000

TIA

SJCembre

I think Tom is perhaps over stating the risks involved with driving OTMs. I was on tampers for 10 years. There were around 35 drivers and in that time I think there were 5 spads, 2 of which were so technical that the driver's next employers weren't at all concerned.

You have to protect yourself a bit more than a foc or toc driver does, but you do this by knowing the rule book and challenging when necessary.

On the flip side, you'll have less chance of mainline spads, overspeeds, dispatch/door incidents and failure to calls.

You will end up with a huge route card and your T3 experience will stand you in good stead with a future foc employer.

Frank,

Whilst working on the tampers would you say that the pay is generous as advertised?

Shifts etc.

Does it all add up?

cheers

Regan

I left colas nearly 2 years ago as a tamper driver operator the pay was £46,500 for a 40 hour week 32 weekends with an extra 4 paid as a bonus and overtime.

FrankOwen

There's quite a range of terms, conditions and responsibilities across the different OTM companies.

I was also a fitter as well as a driver and the extra £3k a year for that responsibility wasn't worth it.

Just driving and operating is going to be around £50k now, maybe a bit more.

There was opportunity for overtime but nothing like as much as there is at TOCs or FOCs.

Edited to add:
Depending on the company you may book on from home and be provided with a company van or car.

Status
Not open for further replies.