• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Balfour Beauty

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
What is it exactly? It's sitting in Clapham Yard.

I also saw 66704 with yellow NR wagons at Clapham today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Julian G

Established Member
joea1 said:
What is it exactly? It's sitting in Clapham Yard.

I also saw 66704 with yellow NR wagons at Clapham today.
So did I!
The 08:38 Silverlink Metro from Willesden Junction-Clapham Junction was diverted to platform 17 this morning due to some works at platform 2

i think it's a tamper

Z12XE

Do you have a link to a photo of what it looked like?

Was it anything like this:
thumb_Tamper_Sudbury.jpg

RJ

Established Member
y4dp0h.jpg

I couldn't be bothered to get a better pic but it's the yellow thing :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yep, a tamper thing. They're everywhere on the network. A lot of them can be found at Kings Norton usually, M-F.

Probably sitting there waiting for the engineers to go out to a trackside later on for some works. If you do Newport to Cardiff at night, you can see a few of these machines and workers out shining up the rails with a grinder-like machine, lights coming off the sides of the tampers and stuff.

AlexS

Established Member
It's Balfour Beatty! Not Beauty!

Anyway, my uncle drives one of those things (I thing he is actually a self employed track machine driver with a train drivers licence who is hired on contract by any of the contract maintainance firms as and when required).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Indeed, could be. I usually see those in yellow and with Railtrack on the side, but still, it could be a stone blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.