• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ban on alcohol on Scotrail between 9PM and 10AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Established Member
Great, so if I want to go for a night out, I now have to find accommodation in Edinburgh? Fan-f***ing-tastic.

Also, check the maths in the notes to editors. Apparently 730/1000 = 84%...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Great, so if I want to go for a night out, I now have to find accommodation in Edinburgh? Fan-f***ing-tastic.

Also, check the maths in the notes to editors. Apparently 730/1000 = 84%...

Perhaps they were drunk :lol:

KBD1

Maybe the answer is to have the services like the air industry, you cannot board a plane if you are drunk.

Although i am not one for drinking alcohol on the train, if the Scottish Goverment intend to pass a law to ban people that are drunk from boarding a train, this could cause problems.:(
No doubt you'll get some barrier attendent, picking & choosing who appears to be drunk.<D
I have a number of social events through in Glasgow & usually get last train home mostly, when i know i'm drunk, albeit not falling about though:oops:

Darandio

Established Member
Maybe the answer is to have the services like the air industry, you cannot board a plane if you are drunk.

Which if handled incorrectly could then encourage drink driving. That is something we can do without.

Established Member
The main times I have a drink on a train is on a journey usually early evening, and one that is quite long, so London to Newcastle fits the bill. Don't think I've ever had a can or bottle on a local service before.

Reminds me of earlier in the year - travelling from Glasgow to Edinburgh on a local stopper. Guy in his early 50s gets on at Glasgow with his dog and a pint of Carling in one hand, bag of cans in the other (actual pint glass as well, to make him look a bit more sophisticated). Drinks the pint, gets a can out and pours it into the pint glass. Drinks most of that, then tips the dregs onto the table for the dog to lap up. One of the funniest and at the same time most disgusting things I've ever seen.

Only in Scotland I thought.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Although i am not one for drinking alcohol on the train, if the Scottish Goverment intend to pass a law to ban people that are drunk from boarding a train, this could cause problems.:(
No doubt you'll get some barrier attendent, picking & choosing who appears to be drunk.<D
I have a number of social events through in Glasgow & usually get last train home mostly, when i know i'm drunk, albeit not falling about though:oops:

Rail staff are not doctors therefor cannot say officially if someone is under the influence of alcohol or not. Totally unenforceable with serious reproductions for guards/te's who will get most of the flack. I fear staff assaults on the cards with this nonsense ban.

Scotrail84

Established Member
The main times I have a drink on a train is on a journey usually early evening, and one that is quite long, so London to Newcastle fits the bill. Don't think I've ever had a can or bottle on a local service before.

Reminds me of earlier in the year - travelling from Glasgow to Edinburgh on a local stopper. Guy in his early 50s gets on at Glasgow with his dog and a pint of Carling in one hand, bag of cans in the other (actual pint glass as well, to make him look a bit more sophisticated). Drinks the pint, gets a can out and pours it into the pint glass. Drinks most of that, then tips the dregs onto the table for the dog to lap up. One of the funniest and at the same time most disgusting things I've ever seen.

Only in Scotland I thought.

Dinny kid yerself mate, in response to your last sentence.

johnnychips

Established Member
Well they said the Scots would never accept the pub smoking ban, and they did.

Not been to London at night for a bit. How's enforcement/acceptance of drinking ban on Tube etc. there?

marks87

Established Member
ScotRail has decided to prohibit the carrying and consumption of alcohol on its services between 21:00 and 10:00, starting on 20 July.

The word in bold is the one that concerns me. Say I'm on my way home from Glasgow to Dundee and catching the 21.42 from Queen Street. I'd quite like a beer when I get home, but realise I've none in the house. By the time I get to Dundee, it'll be after 10pm so no chance of buying any there.

So I nip into the Sainsbury's on Buchanan Street, pick up a 6-pack and head for my train. "Sorry, sir, you can't board with that. I don't care that you don't have a bottle opener and it's shelf-warm".

Or more common example might be someone who has just done their weekly shopping, which happens to include a bottle of wine, and they're heading home on a local service.

Michael.Y

Established Member
The word in bold is the one that concerns me. Say I'm on my way home from Glasgow to Dundee and catching the 21.42 from Queen Street. I'd quite like a beer when I get home, but realise I've none in the house. By the time I get to Dundee, it'll be after 10pm so no chance of buying any there.

So I nip into the Sainsbury's on Buchanan Street, pick up a 6-pack and head for my train. "Sorry, sir, you can't board with that. I don't care that you don't have a bottle opener and it's shelf-warm".

Or more common example might be someone who has just done their weekly shopping, which happens to include a bottle of wine, and they're heading home on a local service.

See : http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1127447&postcount=18

Sealed bottles and cans in bags or cases are exempted.

marks87

Established Member
That's good, then. I should really stop skim-reading things; too used to "reading" research papers :oops:

But just to be awkward...the other day I came home from work with a half-bottle of champagne that was left over from an event (not drinking it...just taking it home or it would have gone to waste). What then?

I'd like to think there would be a certain amount of discretion shown.

Scotrail84

Established Member
That's good, then.

But just to be awkward, the other day I came home from work with a half-bottle of champagne that was left over from an event (not drinking it...just taking it home or it would have gone to waste). What then?

I'd like to think there would be a certain amount of discretion shown.

No chance a ban means no exceptions regardless of the situation.

Clip

Established Member
Well they said the Scots would never accept the pub smoking ban, and they did.

Not been to London at night for a bit. How's enforcement/acceptance of drinking ban on Tube etc. there?

It doesnt get enforced at all from what I can see. people going out seem to still drink on the tube and overground from around 19/2000 and then obviously much later people are more brazen with it.

Not seen anyone stop anyone yet - even on the Overground tonight a group of lads were just having a quiet drink and the guard didnt say a word as he went past - probably as they seemed to be behaving but even the drunks with their cans dont get stopped so you have to ask - whats the point?

As an above poster has said its the ones who get drunk in the pub before going home are the worst people for dishing out abuse - not those in possession of a drnik.

Unfair!! I don't like drinking during the day, (don't get much work done after!) and prefer a pint later in the evening. Makes a good nightcap. Going for a couple shortly!:D :D

Scotrail84

Established Member
Unfair!! I don't like drinking during the day, (don't get much work done after!) and prefer a pint later in the evening. Makes a good nightcap. Going for a couple shortly!:D :D

Going for a couple soon? Weather in Blackpool cleared up has it ;)

Michael.Y

Established Member
I used to argue the toss with bus drivers who prevented me carrying my wrapped up McD's and unopened drink onboard before now; especially when I was on my way home from work. When there's not another bus for 40 minutes, I'm not going to eat my tea on a bus station and wait for the next one.

Isn't the last train home, particularly on weekends, there to get drunk people home, if you don't let them on trins your going to end up with hundred of disgruntled ****heads milling around Queen St and Central.

Also, what exactly are they targetting here? The rowdiest trains are the last trains home where coincidently nobody is drinking as you can't buy a carry out after 10pm. The only other time the trains can be noisy at weekends is when you get groups of people from the provinces heading into Glasgow/Edinburgh for their night out on trains that arrive say 8pm, ban won't effect them. Same way it won't effect football fans going to and from games (there may be bans in place for cup finals and so on but it only takes a table of fans from a small game who are drunk to be loud, often unintentionally me).

It's total nanny state nonsense and that's before you get to the point about who is going to enforce it safely.

tsr

Established Member
No chance a ban means no exceptions regardless of the situation.

I'd be inclined to argue the definition of "sealed", then. Does it mean "sealed" as in "the closed condition of the vessel as purchased" (try saying that when drunk ;) ) or "generally closed and not being opened any time soon"? Could you "seal" a bottle with a bit of sticky tape?

I should think the real intention of this part of the wording of the ban is specifically to deter people from drinking from smaller, non-resealable bottles and of course cans.

KBD1

Rail staff are not doctors therefor cannot say officially if someone is under the influence of alcohol or not. Totally unenforceable with serious reproductions for guards/te's who will get most of the flack. I fear staff assaults on the cards with this nonsense ban.

Yes. I agree that they are not doctors:)
But knowing some staff, possibly make some sort of officious point by stopping folk that they think are under the influence. Bad idea:roll:

Agree that this may cause trouble particularly at gated barrier stations, the BTP are never far away though & i know which side they will be on if there is any arguments to say if a person is drunk or not, certainly not the public.
The time a person persists in arguing they have probably missed their last train:lol:
We shall see when it comes about. The proposed date is just before the Edinburgh Festival starts. Going to be fun & game.:)

johnnychips

Established Member
I can assure you it's strictly enforced. Anyone caught smoking in a place which the ban covers is dealt with by the law.

Sorry, cross-purposes. The ban in England is quite strictly enforced as well, as the landlord is at risk of losing license. I was asking about the tube/London Overground alcohol ban.

Mind you, I was in a pub in East Anglia last year in winter when all the curtains were drawn, doors locked, and everyone asked to put a quid in a tin 'for the lifeboat' and allowed to smoke. They were still perfectly legal to serve alcohol at that time!

Clip

Established Member
Haha ok well for the record our smoking ban is enforced ;)

:D

Just as an aside to this I had just been at the ceremony for the Kings Cross fire and was just on me way home down the vic line and some bloke stood there and sparked up in front of his mates. I went a bit mental at him and suitably shamed him in front of a very crowded platform. Couldnt believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.