• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Banbury Depot Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumrar

Established Member
Around 3 and a half years ago I sat tests, MMI etc for the depot that was under construction at the time. After the DMI I was informed I was successful, but held back for a phase 2 course. However due to delays and construction problems in Dec 2016 I git an email saying phase 2 was being shelved. I was gutted, naturally.

When the time for a 2nd phase arrived they took people who'd applied for Aylesbury and Marylebone drivers but hadn't secured those roles - I hadn't applied for those as I didn't live within the required distance and didn't want to be seen to make a spurious application - but then I missed out on a location within reach.

Over the next 2 years I missed an application with London Midland as it got withdrawn before I completed it, I failed DMIs with Freightliner at Birmingham and with West Midlands Railway for Worcester. I am not ashamed to admit I nearly gave up. Applications were sought for mainline at Aylesbury and I stuck by my principles of not making a spurious application. Then a few weeks later, the depot at Banbury came up.

I had my tests still, some scores enhanced with the process at Freightliner, and I emboldened myself to apply and work hard on my covering letter. This secured me a DMI which I had around 3 weeks ago, having had to wait for testing to be conducted for others.

Well, today it all paid off - I hope - I've received my conditional offer subject to a medical on Wed afternoon. So my main message is, stick at it if you want it badly enough. This marked 16 years since I'd first applied for any kind of drivers role and the 3rd time I'd passed all aptitude testing, but I'd previously stumbled elsewhere.

Good luck chasing your dreams.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Around 3 and a half years ago I sat tests, MMI etc for the depot that was under construction at the time. After the DMI I was informed I was successful, but held back for a phase 2 course. However due to delays and construction problems in Dec 2016 I git an email saying phase 2 was being shelved. I was gutted, naturally.

When the time for a 2nd phase arrived they took people who'd applied for Aylesbury and Marylebone drivers but hadn't secured those roles - I hadn't applied for those as I didn't live within the required distance and didn't want to be seen to make a spurious application - but then I missed out on a location within reach.

Over the next 2 years I missed an application with London Midland as it got withdrawn before I completed it, I failed DMIs with Freightliner at Birmingham and with West Midlands Railway for Worcester. I am not ashamed to admit I nearly gave up. Applications were sought for mainline at Aylesbury and I stuck by my principles of not making a spurious application. Then a few weeks later, the depot at Banbury came up.

I had my tests still, some scores enhanced with the process at Freightliner, and I emboldened myself to apply and work hard on my covering letter. This secured me a DMI which I had around 3 weeks ago, having had to wait for testing to be conducted for others.

Well, today it all paid off - I hope - I've received my conditional offer subject to a medical on Wed afternoon. So my main message is, stick at it if you want it badly enough. This marked 16 years since I'd first applied for any kind of drivers role and the 3rd time I'd passed all aptitude testing, but I'd previously stumbled elsewhere.

Good luck chasing your dreams.
Well done Mumrar and good luck with it.

Stigy

Established Member
Well done Mumrar, really pleased for you! I know it’s been a long road for you so I must echo what you say in that if you really want something bad enough, NEVER give up. Worked for me, too. All the best for you going forward too!

Status
Not open for further replies.