Banbury North (LaFarge Aggregates Depot)

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by OneTrackMind, 10 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneTrackMind

OneTrackMind Member

I've been using the Chiltern Mainline quite a lot in the past week and when passing the LaFarge Aggregates Depot to the north of the station, there seems to be an awful lot of activity which I cannot account for.

Whilst I am aware of both the Banbury Resignalling and Depot plans, it appears (and please correct me if I am wrong), the land at the back of the stone terminal has been stoned over with what looks like either a base for tarmac to be applied too - or, alternatively sleepers laid onto.

This, combined with the fact there are sleepers next to the Northbound Relief Line that comes from Platform 1, makes me think there is either an additional relief line going in or the current one is being replace.

It's unfortunate there are no remodelling diagrams as of yet, but can anybody shed any light on what is going on?

2. L&Y Robert

L&Y Robert Member

Yes, I too have seen the work at the back of the stone terminal. I noted some time ago that an area had been fenced off to make a compound there, and I see orange suits moving about up there every time I pass by (on the road). Nearby, laid in the four-foot of both Up and Down roads are pairs of new long rails, for the entire length between Banbury North box and the stone terminal. One day, I saw a little group of orange suits grappling (against the wind) with large paper plans, walking southward on the Down loop, looking to and fro, pointing out various features, and they disappeared southward under the road bridge and out of sight. Something is indeed being planned here. My guess is re-alignment of the Down loop, re-arrangement of the Stone Terminal sidings - possibly to enable direct access from the south instead of the double shunt as now. Also the Up loop is to be re-arranged around Banbury station to make room for a new platform 4 road - all part of it. Just a guess, but I reckon the new fenced compound is to be the base of operations for the whole Banbury re-modelling.

3. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

There isn't going to be south end access to the stone depot. There is talk of putting an extra yellow plant road in at the stone depot though. The down loop will need relaying to get a higher speed out of it.

4. didcot

didcot Member

Forgive my ignorance - what is a "yellow plant road"?

5. Elecman

Elecman Established Member

On track plant stabling siding I would presume

6. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

Indeed, tampers etc...all the yellow stuff.

7. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    I think this is engineers siding is to replace others lost due to changes on the Chiltern route ( Banbury?) taking away some stabling capacity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.