• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Banbury North Signal Box - can you help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTrackMind

I've put this thread within Infrastructure & Stations as it is a current issue, that I am hoping will in the future become a preservation matter.

As many of you well know, Banbury North Signal Box is earmarked for demolition in August 2016, due to the upgraded signalling system and connections to the new Banbury Depot.

This has all been discussed in details in this thread > Banbury - all the changes

Many local Banbury people, who are not actively involved in the railway on a day to day basis, have set up a Facebook group to discuss ways of trying to save the signal box.
Unfortunately, due to the way the track works are planned the South Box is a salvage operation rather than a rescue.

Facebook Group is Here > Banbury North Signal Box

There are currently ongoing talks with relevant parties to save the box, and we have been in touch with similar projects such as St. Albans etc. to see what their approach was.

The biggest problem we have, is Network Rail are looking for someone to underwrite the project, but we are not sure on how to go about this.

I'd love to hear/get advice from people who may or may have not undertaken similar projects, and, if anyone can help in anyway to either post here, PM me, or join the Facebook Group.

The main concern we have is time, as we don't have a lot of it!

Thanks in advance - and I hope - one day, we can invite everyone to the box to see just how fantastic it really is :D

INFOGRAPHIC_1.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Bit confused how you have written this, North box has nothing to do with the depot as it is the South box that is in the way (is there anything that special about the South? having been in both I can understand the sentiment behind the North.)

OneTrackMind

My apologies.

The understanding is that it is on the same timeline, so when the connections are put in, both boxes are flattened, is that correct?

Agreed there is nothing notable about the south, but it'd be good to try and ensure the signs/anything nostalgic is kept once removed.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Isn't there a problem with possible public access routes because it is between the river and the railway?

OneTrackMind

Isn't there a problem with possible public access routes because it is between the river and the railway?

No, it is in between the Down Main and Down Goods Loop.

Current access is by walking to the bottom of Platform 1 and under the road bridge to the Signal Box.
We have identified this as a potential access point subject to fencing and elf' n' safety being met with the proper procedures in place.

The other route currently being investigated is with the planned removal of the Northern Bay, and as to whether this would open up a better access opportunity.

168lover

I personally know quite a few of the volunteers at the Risborough Box, they will be more than happy to give some advice. Send them an email at [email protected]. I'm not promising anything but I'm sure that they would be happy to give some advice.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Surprised that hasn't got further than it has, especially now with the Chinnor railway looking to go into a new back platform at Princes Risborough.

168lover

Surprised that hasn't got further than it has, especially now with the Chinnor railway looking to go into a new back platform at Princes Risborough.

I was in it a few weeks ago. A lot of work still to do. Apparently when work first started on it one side was being held up by the glass in the windows, nothing else:oops:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
One of the leading lights behind the St Albans preserved signal box is a member of this forum and I'm sure he would be happy to pass on advice. And whilst we're on the subject I would encourage you to go and visit the signal box at St Albans when it's open on certain weekends. It's fantastic, both inside and out. Well worth a visit.

alexx

From the Oxford Mail:

Signal box campaigners in Banbury face nervous wait

CAMPAIGNERS in Banbury face a nervous wait to find out if they will be able to save a historic signal box from demolition.

Earlier this year Network Rail announced plans to tear down two signal boxes on the track near Banbury station as part of £76m upgrades to the network.

But a group was set up on Facebook calling for the north box to be saved, as campaigners said it should instead be turned into an education centre for railway enthusiasts.

Following meetings with the operator, the group has been told to raise £60,000 to convert the box themselves, or it will be demolished in August.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/14483590.Signal_box_campaigners_face_nervous_wait/

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
...as campaigners said it should instead be turned into an education centre for railway enthusiasts.

Perhaps they could educate them about flogging dead horses?

Just how many preserved signal boxes can the country sustain?

Last edited:

MarkyT

Established Member
Perhaps they could educate them about flogging dead horses?

Just how many preserved signal boxes can the country sustain?

While there are a fair number on heritage lines, there aren't many SBs that are non-operational and thus available for 'hands on' demonstration and experience. Numbers of boxes on the main line are dwindling fast now and there won't be many more opportunities arising in future to preserve a large main line example. Many, like Banbury South, simply have to go because the old buildings are physically in the way of the new track layout, but at least Banbury North is notionally practical because the new layout is clear of the structure and safe access is possible from the platform without crossing tracks or building a very expensive new access bridge. If you have no interest in signalling and have no inclination to support or visit such a facility personally then that's fine, but please don't decry those who do want to try and save something they clearly have a lot of affection for. You tell me how many are 'sustainable' because I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.