• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Banbury Ticket Barriers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
The car park is almost done. The bridge connecting the car park with the station is partially complete too. The concourse above the platforms at the station is a building site at the moment, almost all of it is behind temporary walling. I dare say when it is finished you will have your barriers.

I wonder how many extra tickets to Banbury will be sold at Bicester North when the barriers are in place?

It will be interesting to see the layout of these barriers as the main concourse area/ ticket office has a staircase. Wonder if they are going to remodel the concourse.

L&Y Robert

It will be interesting to see the layout of these barriers as the main concourse area/ ticket office has a staircase. Wonder if they are going to remodel the concourse.

Will I be able to access the station as a pedestrian from the Merton Street side? (that's the east side). And it would be handy (handy? Footy more like!) to have a through pedestrian route from the Tramway employment area to Grimsbury for the use of the general public, to avoid having to negotiate that awful noisy heavily be-trafficked narrow side-walked bridge. It's the only pedestrian route across the railway in central Banbury. We need another ped. route!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Had a look at it all today (24/02). It's a long way from the new car park to the ticket office, and involves going down from bridge level to ground level. And then, of course, having got ones ticket, back up onto the concourse and down onto the platform. Phew! Glad I've got plenty of time. The new bridge couples end-to-end with the upstairs concourse, and slopes gently up towards the car-park. It spans the up loop, and three other tracks. There doesn't seem to be any room for ticket barriers upstairs, especially if pedestrian traffic to and from the ticket office has to be accommodated on the "outside". Maybe we're going to have an upstairs ticket office instead. Or as well.

Last edited:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
VgVnWpdl.jpg

Six gates at the top of the staircase by the ticket office. Nothing on the other side by the new bridge from the car park yet.

Last edited:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I'm not sure. There it's a poster up which says there will be ticket machines in the car park though. Mind you, there is a poster all of twenty feet from that gate line which says there will only be three barriers.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
From the planning statement on Cherwell DC's website:

Pedestrian Bridge
3.14 The pedestrian bridge will directly link to the over platform concourse of the station from the second level of the car park enabling step-free access. The bridge will be enclosed, and finished with mid grey flat metal faced cladding panels, with laminated glass windows, to Network Rail security and maintenance requirements. A gate line will be installed to control access between the car park and the station, and to enable the station to be secured. A second ticket barrier line is also due to be installed to access from the main station concourse on the west side; this side of the station is secured outside operational hours by locking the external doors. It is not possible to enable access via the railway station bridge for non-rail users, or on a 24 hour unsecured basis, for reasons of site security, fare protection, and operability.

I won't provide a link, as being a planning site they almost always time out, but the application is easy enough to find with a search for 'Banbury Station'...

Status
Not open for further replies.